Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• $0 deductible, 60months from date of signing agreement or 72K miles on odometer, whatever comes first. Platinum for $896. I purchased from my selling dealer in Texas. My local dealer in Tulsa, OK does not promote the VW factory ext warr. The service dep't is all I care about as they will honor the factory. The dealer in Texas originally wanted 1300-1700 range for this VW warranty and tried to get me to take one of their aftermarket plans for 1100. I declined so I could do more homework. Of course when U are in the finance office hammering out the financial stuff they'll try to load U up and try to get it in the finance contract. The profit margin for dealer aftermarket warr. is higher. The $896 was quoted as 200 over cost and I told them that if I got an aftermarket one that I would get it at my local dealer as they sell and service it with consistency. I felt the VW one will cross the T's and dot the i's better. Gotta keep your records of your scheduled maint. for future major warr. claims that hopefully we don't have except that piece of mind...
    ALSO, U can get the factory warr. @ a lower cost as long as U get it before 6mos/6000miles are on the new car. I just rolled 6K last week with 4.5 months since delivery. They put 5501 miles on my paperwork to make the lower cost stick. 60 mos starts now.
  • mdrivermdriver Posts: 385
    What source provided you with the new warranty information?
  • jc294jc294 Posts: 2
    I'm trying to decide to buy a Civic EX sedan or Jetta GLS 1.8T, both auto transmission. I'm leaning toward civic, as I don't want to deal with mechanical problems. But Jetta (or new Passat, for that matter) is exactly the image that I want myself to be seen - a bit older and more refined and sophisticated than the average 20-year-old (I am in my early 30s). Both are great cars and I'm having the hardest time trying to decide. Any advice/suggestion? Here's a list of pros and cons for each.

Civic -
    Pros:
    1. Cheaper base price, under $18k
    2. More reliable and cheaper to maintain
    3. Better gas efficiency
    Cons:
    1. Boring appearance and styling
    2. Less fun and powerful to drive
    3. Consumer complaints about declining quality (based on personal research finding, no real data)

Jetta -
    Pros:
    1. Distinguish style
    2. Relatively affordable price, around $20k
    3. More powerful and fun to drive
    Cons:
    1. Heard owner complaints about various problems, though most are minor, still discouraging
    2. VW dealerships have bad reputation for service
    3. Requires premium gas, lower gaas milleage
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,032
    I think for an automatic I would go with the Honda, because really the Jettas strong point is being fun to drive and the automatic will negate this to some extent, in my own personal opinion. I sense (perhaps mistaken) that you won't have much tolerance for little screw-ups on a new car, either.

But basically I think your side by side evaluations are pretty good. If you don't buy my comments about the automatic, then I'd advise you to buy the car you feel best in, because affection will get you over the tough spots, whereas if you don't like what you bought, you will be very hard on the car when it fails you.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    It is less boring than the Civic, has more power (torque) than the Civic, has a better reliability record than the Jetta (it is one of the few still built in Japan), and the ES model handles EXCELLENT. Overall, I think it is a better car to compare with the Jetta than the Civic is.
    http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/44875/article.html
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/spin/45994/article.html By the way, I still like the Jetta, I am just giving this person another choice to make his decision harder. ;)
  • Have U taken both automatic equipped cars for a serious drive and push em both for performance? I did drive an EX auto and it felt fine where the 5speed was more fun. The Jetta 1.8T auto will give more Bimmer/Saab kinda fun and performance. Yeah the price is more, but you'll enjoy every dollar spent. You live once. Besides, you'll get plenty of compliments on a Jetta.
  • mtenamtena Posts: 58
    I now have 1,250 miles on my 2001 Jetta 1.8T (Wolfsburg).

No real mechanical problems so far. Just two early issues, for which I plan to visit the dealer soon.

First, there is an annoying sound - sort of a combination creak and rattle - that seems to be emanating from the steering column area on rougher roads and upon acceleration. The sound started at about 100 miles, so that's disappointing from a quality standpoint.

Second, the dealer-installed VW CD changer (trunk mounted) sporadically malfunctions, with a "CD error" message. If I change to another disk, the problem goes away.

Overall, the car is a delight to drive. If I can get these two problems fixed, and I don't have a lot of other problems down the road, I'll be a happy camper.
  • flacaflaca Posts: 168
    make sure the cd's are installed facing the correct way.
  • smitpatsmitpat Posts: 13
    I also looked at the Civic EX and the Jetta 1.8T. The second I got into the Civic, I had to get out again. It felt cramped, and the interior seemed really cheap. I didn't even take it for a test drive. Ended up getting a Jetta Wolfsburg. I have 1,600 miles on it in 6 weeks, and I'm very happy. I had two very minor things fixed last week (both under warranty). The dealer was great (Koeppel in NYC).
  • twig93twig93 Posts: 38
    I own a "00 Jetta TDI. I love the car! I just have a small problem. Both front doors are making a creaking sound. It happens when you accelerate, brake, or hit a bump. It is very noticeable. It is going into the dealer on Tuesday. He said the doors probably need to be greased. Anyone else have this problem? Could it be anything else?

Still have a vibration coming from the right rear tweeter. Dealer can't seem to hear it...of course. Its like a bad child who never gets caught. Anyone else experience this? Was it fixed?
  • mtenamtena Posts: 58
    Ha! The creaking sound in my steering-wheel area comes and goes. I'm sure it will "go" when I visit the dealer :(
  • bluejettabluejetta Posts: 272
    All covered under your first year of warranty. Don't let a little creak ruin the enjoyment of your new car.

-Jim
    http://www.jettaownersclub.org

• i to have the exact same creak in the elft door and a rattle around the rear left tweeter, I took it into the dealer(not my dealer) and he said my bass was to hgih(on 5) and he adjusted it, i said it is a common problem and it shoud be fixed, instead of altering my music settings, he said no, and the creak on the right they didnt fix only cause i needed my car back, so now my car has been at my dealer since thursday and i am supposed to pick it up for the rattles and my brakes had alot of pedal travel and werent working very well(not even 4000 miles on the car... :T ) hopefully it will all be ok...
  • I had the exact same issue. @5000 mile service the dealer re adjusted both front door striker plates and lubed. Problem so far ceases to reappear @6800 miles. Yeah It was annoying but I still felt even happier that it was nipped in the bud.
  • garypuccigarypucci Posts: 3
    I just bought a new Jetta 2 months ago, and I have had nothing but problems with it. I bought a GLS w/ sport package, and VR6. At about 3000 miles (a week ago) my car dies on the freeway, not to mention I almost get into many wrecks trying to get over to the side of the road. It turns out it was a laugher for the mechanics. Yes they were actually laughing at my misfortune.. I could have been killed, yet they still laugh.. It was my air flow sensor. My EPC light came on than my car started to stall. As I pulled over it did stall, than upon turning on my engine all my lights went on and it quit on me again. The only good thing was the nice AAA guy that towed me, after VW tried to give me the runaround on how to get my car towed to them. Oh and get this.. I have a new nice Kings keyring that my mother bought for me that turned up missing!!! YES THEY STOLE MY KEYRING!!! I accidently left it on the loaner keyring, and when I went to pick up my keys it was not there.. I asked if they knew where it went and they laughed and shook their heads. What a crock of BS. I will never buy a VW again, and I have told everyone that they suck [non-permissible content removed]hole. As soon as I can sell this pile of crap I will. Any takers? Black VR6 w/ sports package 5spd cloth seats. 19k and its yours.. 4k miles. Its either this or I will purposely wreck this car to get my money back according to the lemon law of cali.
  • Other than your misfortune and the insensitive dealer, do you like your car and its performance? Sounds like a bizarre and out of the ordinary situation. Use a different dealer for service unless your car was towed to the closest dealer to your breakdown. Also, since u are in California just sue that frickin dealer up the [non-permissible content removed]. How about calling VW directly and file a complaint about the dealers attitude. It of course needs to be professional irregardless of the situation.
  • yettibuttyettibutt Posts: 98
    creak in my driver door was an adjustment of the door hinge mechanism, cost me 38 bucks b/c mine is out of warranty.
  • if u recall, i had taken my car in for my brakes having to much travel and not stopping very well and some creaks and rattles, well they said brakes are fine, even though i know they are not, the creak on the right was taken care of, and on the left as well, but then one hour after i picked it up, the creak that i heard when id stop and go retuned but this time on the left side and same with the rattiling from the same area when music is up. i'm pretty disappointed...
  • bigdlnjoebigdlnjoe Posts: 1
    I just purchased a brand new 2001 Jetta GLS. Like two days (~ 200 miles) after we drove it off the lot, I started hearing this creaking noise in the rear. I took it in just out of caution thinking it was just a rattle that all new cars seem to make in some fashion or another. The dealer said it was the rear bushings (which was a whole bunch of BS). So they were gonna fix it only to find out that it wasn't the bushings but rather a bracket. The mechanic put the car on a lift and showed me the part that was bent. It was a small part tucked away under the rear tires and it was bent up and rusted.
    Pieces shouldn't be rusting on a car that new. Then the jackemo tried to blame the problem on me and said I ran something over. But I was thinking that if I ran something over that large, it would be big and I would remember doing it. Secondly, why weren't there scrapes on the bottom. And thirdly, why was the piece already rusted? I am never going to purchase a VW and to this day am still under dispute with the lemon laws, the company, and the dealership that we bought it at. E-mail me with any comments: bigdlnjoe@aol.com.
    Thanks a lot.
    Joe
  • bbravenecbbravenec Posts: 8
    Hi, y'all. I am thinking about getting a Jetta TDI in the very near future and was wondering if anyone could give me a quick and easy rundown on the types of problems these cars tend to have (TDI and gasoline engines). From what I can tell, the dealerships tend to be a major weakness as well as some electrical problems. If anyone could elaborate on these or other problems inherent to these cars I would appreciate it. Also, if anyone knows of a good dealership in Houston (especially service after the sale) please let me know. Thanks alot--bbrave
  • twig93twig93 Posts: 38
    I have a '00 Jetta TDI. So far I love the car! I have had a few MINOR problems..like creaks and rattles, but nothing like what is described in some of these posts. I have had my car for 1 year. I'm getting around 50 mi. per gallon.
  • nuridenuride Posts: 19
    i have had my 2001 gls 1.8t for almost 2 months i have had absolutely no problems with it;but i have noticed that occasionally i will feel heat coming out of the vents near my legs and on the dash. Is this normal for a turbo engine? If so, do I also have to let it cool down before shutting off the engine whether i am driving her hard or not?
  • bluejettabluejetta Posts: 272
    Yeah nuride. Evidently that's normal. Seems there was a thread regarding this not too long ago. Just place your air on recirculate and it stops. It aupposedly effects all models though I have not checked mine.

Unless you are racing your car for a length of time, you do not need to cool down the turbo. Standard highway driving, even at higher speeds is fine and the car is built for it in mind, though some of the kids are buying turbo-timers anyway that automatically run your car for a few minutes and then shut it down unattended. Kinda silly if you ask me -- Unless you are seriously racing the car that is.

-Jim
    http://www.jettaownersclub.org
  • yettibuttyettibutt Posts: 98
    Well, we put some new tires on our car and BAM! It is SO freakin' quite now. VW nor the dealer wanted to help us out at all with our Goodyears, they have 30K on them and they said they were only doing something about tires with 25K, thats too bad, they should have sent a notice out, oh well. Goodyear and VW are getting nastygrams from me! We replaced the crappy Goodyears with B.F. Goodrich Touring T/As, man, they are great handling tires!
  • vwownervwowner Posts: 1
    I own a 94 Jetta GL. It has 158,000 miles. My problems have included: Central unlocking mechanism pump at 120,000, ignition switch at 120,000, & Dash lights 100,000. Everything else has been standard maintenance. Clutch lasted up to 140,000 miles! Keeps on going and going and. . .
  • coolnikcoolnik Posts: 5
    I had my 10K service done a lil early, and since then my car is giving me nightmares. The next day of the service, the car was smoking like a rocket! turns out I had a faulty turbocharger. Dealer fixed it for free as its under warranty. In the next few days, when I tried driving hard, I heard a hissing sound when the turbo came on everytime I pressed the gas pedal hard. Took it back to the dealer, and this time it was a loose hose, which was fixed in no time. After abt 1.5 months and 1500 miles after the service, the engine was stalling as I took off from a signal. It was a bad noise from the engine as I tried pressing the accelerator so I somehow got the car back home at speeds below 40mph. Under the hood I saw a rubber hose connected to its metal counterpart has come off, and I didnt have the right tools to fix it, so had to tow it to the dealer! This was my experience with my jetta. I hope its just the hose, if its the turbo again, I'l be driving a new car next week!
    -Nick
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    It's the Panasonic model and that's not unusual from what I've been told by all my friends who own trunk mounted CD changers. My changer will tell me CD Error and then a minute later accept the same offending discs.

Karl Flaig
    www.blue-guy.com, Driven By a Different Point of View
  • moriyjomoriyjo Posts: 1
    I used to own a 1986 GTI, and originally I wanted to just buy a 4 or 5 year old Golf, but for some reason they are hard to come buy in the SF Bay Area. Jettas are more common, and I'm thinking about a 1997 5 speed Jetta. 50 mi. $9,500 asking price. Curious what you all have heard or experienced. Consumer Reports doesn't reccommend the 1995 Jetta.
  • inkyinky Posts: 370
    Is there a problem with these tires that is being taken care of by VW. The post about 25k miles and VW doing something?? What is up with these tires.
    I have not noticed anything amuck. Please advise.
    INKY