Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dkrabdkrab Member Posts: 77
    I posted this in the Jetta sedans forum, but this looks like a more appropriate thread.

I've been out of the VW camp since '94, but am thinking of jumping back in. Looking at a 97 Jetta GLX w/auto trans and 53K miles. If I am not mistaken, the VR6, which it has, is standard on this model. Also has sunroof, leather, Bose stereo. This car was well kept, and doesn't even have any door dings on it. What weak points should I be aware of on this car? I haven't driven it yet, but would like a list of potential problems to look for.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    FWIW, in Consumer's Reports, they list Electrical problems as being the lowest rating (greater than 14.8% problem reporting rate). Also, they give the 97 Jetta a black check meaning there is average reliabliity for that year.

They don't say which engine this is for, but I'd have to say watch our for the electrical problems.
    Hope that helps.
  • wonderwallwonderwall Member Posts: 126
    i have a 97 with the 2.0 liter engine. no problems aside from the molding on the door likes to come off. i love the car and i'm sure you'll like yours even better with the VR6.
  • annesjettaannesjetta Member Posts: 2
    For all who have check engine light on, here is my short story on that.We bought a 2002 VR6 Jetta auto with the tiptronic, less then 100 miles the check engine light came on, dealer ran tests,found nothing cleared code sent me home, on way home light is on again, this time they keep it overnight and find that even though you couldn't feel it, the car was misfiring due to stuck valve or piston, can't remember what they said, but engine work was needed.I'm happy to say, they did the right thing, found us the same car, with larger tires, and added 6 disc and spoiler and climatronic, our first one didn't have that even though its a listed standard option and all this cost us a grand total of $300.00 more, so what started out looking like a nightmare, turned out great and our new car is a Dream.As an old Honda owner, so far so good and glad I made the switch
  • jphdxljphdxl Member Posts: 32
    We had the exact same problem with the #6 cylinder misfiring with less than 100 miles on it. Was your car a new 200hp VR6 as mine is? The dealer had my car more than a week while they worked with VW Techs to diagnose. They eventually sent the computer to NJ for reprograming and the cars been great ever since. As you said, you couldn't feel it while driving, so maybe all they did was disconnect my check engine light, haha :). My arrangement with them was that if the reprograming didn't work they were going to get me a new car (and had even located one a another dealer just in case). While I was pretty p.o.'d that a brand new car was in the shop for a week after only having it for a week, the dealer was good about taking care of me. Let's hope that was then end of the problem.
  • gonzomdgonzomd Member Posts: 3
    Any advice? My 1.8T has been in the shop 3 times in the first six months of ownership. Computers calls it a random misfire in all 4 cylinders. First misfire occured at 1600 miles and subsequent 3 at ~2000 mile intervals. I am now running regular unleaded(per VW advice), had fuel line cleaned of carbon and perfect good spark plugs replaced. Now they want to put a ECM which will widen my parameters and not misfire/not record. Problem is 6 months of unleaded gas has to have caused some damage to turbo plus value of car is depreciated. I could not sell this car for what it is worth once buyers know of 4 visits to the shop. Should I allow them to fix it or demand but back or replacement with more amenities.
  • msealsmseals Member Posts: 257
    Adding regular gas to your car will not hurt the turbo, what it could do it cause additional carbon deposits if it is poorer quality gas, like from Bob's house of gas and waffles. What should have happened is that the ECU should have adjusted the timing of the engine to compensate for it igniting sooner. Lower octane gas has a lower flash point, meaning that it will combust at a lower temperature. I hope this helps, I would have pointed to the ECU first before I changed the gas, but hey, they are probably thinking that you use some crappy gas or that you are already using regular or some sort of mix to begin with.
    If i allow VWoA to attempt a fix with this ECM, will this detract from the spec HP. will it change how the engine runs.
    How about asking for a new jetta?
  • annesjettaannesjetta Member Posts: 2
    We didn't let them work on it,actually the dealer called us after it was in shop for two days and tried to move us into a new car from the first one, so they knew it was a problem and a problem that would probably not go away.The new one is doing great.
  • msealsmseals Member Posts: 257
    If you can, try and get a new one. I don't know what state you live in or what the lemon laws are but replacing the car is always a easy fix.

Secondly, changing out your ECU should not affect HP unless it is not OEM.
    I live in Texas, Lemon Law is written for manufacturers not the consumer. attorney's fees are not paid, etc. I think the best fix is a new one with no track record. ECU may not fix it according to service dept.
  • jmercerjmercer Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how you pop of the A/C/Heat air vent face plates on the dash so you can get inside and track down the rattles?
  • eduardojr10eduardojr10 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 Jetta GLS with 60K miles.

I recently brought in my Jetta to fix passenger side window (regulator broke!) and VW Service says that Oil Pan was damaged and needs to be replaced as well.

So I did, for about $320. Then brought into Honda dealership for Trade-In and they said Oil Pan was wrong model, the plug that came with it was not there and the Wires were cut - which is the reason why MIL light is on. It will cost Honda $1000 to fix.

What is the relation between Mil Light, Oil Pan, Wires? Why did VW quote me $300 while Honda says $1000? Any advice on moving forward?

Anyone have any similar problems? Hate Jetta, tired of it, that's why trading for as much value as I can...

thx,
    ed
  • soupnazisoupnazi Member Posts: 15
    First, I need some more info. What engine do you have? 2.0, TDI, VR6? The only wire that I can think of that would be related to the oil pan would be the one to the oil pressure switch, but that's located on the oil filter flange. The pan itself shouldn't be involved. If the wire from the sending unit was cut, that would explain the MIL light being on. How does it behave? Does it occasionally come on or is it on constantly?
    Also, the plug that came with the oil pan is not there? Are you driving around without an oil plug (hence no oil)? I don't know how you could even have the wrong oil pan. The wrong one wouldn't even seal right and you'd be leaking oil at an outrageous rate. I'm not sure that I'd trust a Honda dealership's diagnosis of your oil pan. It sounds to me like they're trying to give you B.S. to low-ball you on trade in value. Why would the VW dealership cut the wire to the oil pressure sending unit? If they did, the MIL light would've been on when you got the car back from being repaired, and you should've told them they screwed something up with your car.
    Gimme some details and I'll see what I can tell you.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    First I would like to help. Having said that I have to say that your post does not make a lot of sense. Only way your oil pan would be checked during replacement of window regulator is if it was leaking. Was it? Second thing is a dealership usually does not put a 2 year old car on a lift and check it out during a trade evaluation. Even if they did I have to agree with soup that a wrong oil pan and no plug would not be driveable.
    The best advice I can give you is to never take a vehicle in for a trade with the MIL on. If things are really as screwed up as your post indicates, take your car back to the dealer that did the work and have them fix what they screwed up, ask nicely, then if they refuse take the car to a knowledgeable independent mechanic and get an estimate on the repairs and ask what was the cause of the problems. As long as the cause is the original dealer the next step would be to ask the dealer to fix the problem again or end up in court. It's your time and money and it will either take time or money to fix your Jetta problem.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    It sounds like the oil pan they installed doesn't have the low oil level sending unit.
  • jbkreegsjbkreegs Member Posts: 11
    I will be storing my 99 Jetta vr6 between several months to a year. Is there any suggestions on things I need to do to prepare it for storage?
  • eduardojr10eduardojr10 Member Posts: 6
    Here's some more info:
    - Jetta 2000, GLS, 2.0
    - MIL Light is constantly on. It's been on for about 6 mos. now. However, brought it in last month for Replacement of malfunctioning Oygen Sensor (recall letter)
    - Check Engine light was off for one week after recall fixing then came back on again.
    - I brought in the car to fix broken passenger side window and get recall work done. They called me same day that Oil Pan needed to be replaced - and I gave my approval $300+ for oil pan work.
    - FYI, there were no leaks that I reported. VW just called and said it needed to be done.

Some revelations/questions from everyone's post:
    - sounds like Honda is low-balling me and giving outrageous explanations for MIL light being on. My mistake to go in without having that fixed, at least temporarily. Needless to say I'm still unhappy with Jetta with all maintenance issues.
    - ALCAN's post. Honda did mention that there was a wire clipped and I do remember few times when oil level was very low, however CHECK OIL light never came on. I will speak to VW to fix that.
    - Still want to trade-in Jetta for as much value as I can. Any explanation on my issues and advice moving forward would be greatly appreciated.

Disclosure:) if my posts do not make any sense, just to let everyone one know - I don't know anything about cars and still trying to get up to speed with all terminolgies. Thanks again for being patient and everyone's help!!!
  • gslevegsleve Member Posts: 183
    come on before they react to a impending oil starvation problem, oil should be checked monthly, if not, waiting for the idiot light to inform one of a potential problem is way too late. By this time you've seriously tasked the oil do a its job over and above its function, and have allowed potential damage to occur.

Would it not be wise to check oil level monthly rather than trusting a mechanical or electronic device to warn you, thereby sustaining damage to the engine
  • soupnazisoupnazi Member Posts: 15
    Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I'm afraid I'm a bit baffled in the cause of your problems. My guess is that the reoccurance of the check engine light episode is due to a separate problem. (Perhaps the replaced oxygen sensor). If the clipped wire were causing the check engine light to come on, and it was clipped when your oil pan was replaced, it should've been on from the moment you got your car back. I'm afraid I can't tell you without looking at it or scanning the codes. One clue would be to check how the low-pressure light behaves when you start the car. A properly connected and operating oil pressure sending unit should behave as follows: you turn the key and start the car, the light comes on and remains on for about 2-3 seconds, then shuts off. If yours does this, then it's probably not that switch.

This all being said, I'd say your best bet is to get the problem looked at (I would take it to a different VW dealership that you last did) and get it fixed. Don't tell them the history of what's been done to it or where it's been serviced, make them come up with a unbiased diagnosis. I'd then take your trade to a competing Honda dealership to see what happens. Sometimes the difference in dealerships is like night and day. Don't take any financial lumps to get rid of it. Even with the problems that you've had, the car is extremely marketable for them, and blue book trade in value does take into account some reconditioning of the car to sell. There's always a market. Best of luck.
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    many months ago a knocking sound began from the front end of my car as the car moved slowly and when I turned the steering wheel. I got it fixed when they replaced the rubber joint of the front stabilizer bar. A day later it was back but each time I took it back they said they didn't hear it, and sometimes it really didn't make the noise. When winter came around and it was mighty cold, it only made the sound after two+ hours of constant driving but now that its hot out, you hear the sound after just a few minutes. Every other time I asked the dealer if it was dangeorus they said no but now I am going to Washington DC this weekend for a round trip of about 500 miles and am concened this is dangerous because I read somewhere how the Golf had a recall for a problem with similar symptoms. I called VW again and now they said they can't say its safe without looking at it. I really don't have time to take the car tomorrow because I have school and the darn mechanics go home at 4 so what do you guys think?? Take my car? Is it a serious problem? What would you guys do? Sorry for the loong post.
  • vw2002vw2002 Member Posts: 3
    My 97 Jetta, GLS's check engine light went on two weeks ago. The mechanics told that one of the O2 sensor was no good, so he replaced it, cost me 240$. But the light went on again the same night, so I brought it back and he spent another hour on it and finally figured it out there was a mis-wiring somewhere. He fixed the wiring and now the check engine light is out in the past week.

But my problem is that before replacing the "broken" O2 sensor, I have about 25 mile/gal on highway, but now only has about 20. I just really don't understand why fixing the O2 with a new one would decrease the gas-mileage.

Any advice is highly appreciated!
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    You should also ask to refund part of the $240, since he mis-diagnosed it the first time.
    Hey all,
    what are your opinions of the mid 90's level Jettas (ie. 1996 and up)? I'm helping my brother look for a car and was considering the Jetta...the only thing that shakes me are the electrical problems that I often hear about.

What kind of engines did they offer back then? Which ones were better? Any particular trim recommended? Thanks.
    2.0L
    TDI
    VR6

The two better engines are the VR6 and TDI (Diesel)
  • johnarossijohnarossi Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Jetta TDI, consistent 52-54 mpg. Recently had an anomaly. I got 72 mpg on one tank, next tank 56. I make the same 80mile commute every day. Keep it to 70mph maximum.
    75 miles of this ride is highway. Any ideas as to why this would happen? I would obviously like to duplicate. I know that it's valid, because I'm the one that fills it up.
  • bb100bb100 Member Posts: 3
    Have a 1997 and live in Texas where we have been running the A/C lots lately. Noticed today that it sounds like there is water "sloshing" around behind the dash on the passenger side (i.e. by the vents). Also dripping some water onto the passenger side carpet. Not good. I do see condensation dripping underneath the car which is normal. Any ideas?
  • jclopez29jclopez29 Member Posts: 1
    This is the second time I have had problems with my passenger's side window. My friend also had the same problem and so did his sister in law. Is this a common problem.Please help, by the way how long should the work be warrantied if the window regulator motor was repaired in December of 2001.
  • yellowjettyellowjett Member Posts: 10
    I need advise. I have a 99 Jetta, is this car worth keeping. I have had more problems in this car (ex. shrinking headliner, o2 sensor, mass air sensor, power windows, and locks, cd player problems) than my two other cars (both honda). I am looking at long term; I don't want to keep this car if it is going to die as soon as the warranty ends.
  • claudia77claudia77 Member Posts: 1
    I have ' 95 Jetta GL and had the same engine light/oxygen sensor problem starting at about 50k miles like some other people here. I got it fixed about two weeks ago, but ever since then the performance has dramatically decreased. The same (but not as bad) goes for the gas mileage. It feels as if the car has about 60 horsepower, there's no acceleration. Does anybody know what to do? I haven't complained to the dealer yet, I thought I'd get some "ammunition" before being caught offguard by a lame excuse.
  • kjd3kjd3 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone heard of problems with the 2002 Jetta Radio reception?

The sound will randomly switch from stereo to mono tone and back.

Also, the power to the radio cuts out occasionally and all stations need to be re programmed.

Any advice? It's not a fuse problem.
  • jphdxljphdxl Member Posts: 32
    I too am having problems with the Monsoon in my 02 Jetta (the newer double din radio). When playing the radio, the sound is pretty awful. When playing a CD it actually sounds pretty good. Then the other day it just died. Started the car and the radio would not turn on. Pulled the fuse (which was not blown) and when I reinstalled the same fuse, the stereo started to work, although it no longer says Monsoon when you turn it on. The dealer says there's a TSB on this and they're going to replace the radio when I bring it in next time. It's not worth leaving the car for the day as the radio is sort of working now.
  • dageedagee Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Jetta V6, five speed standard transmission. The clutch failed after 3063 miles. The service department at the dealership has been working on the car for two weeks. They have replaced the clutch system twice and the motor mounts and the problem is still unresolved. There is vibration and noise from the clutch system and the transmission. The service department is stumped; waiting for advice from VW International and I think I've got a LEMON. Anybody have similar problem or advice?
  • zebrajebzebrajeb Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchased a 2002 Jetta TDI. Anyone know where I can get a detailed repair manual? I don't have any problems, but like to do my own work when possible. Since I'm new to the diesel TDI, thought I'd like to get a repair manual.

Thanks

JEB
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Repair manual by Bentley Publishers is what you need. Good news is that it is on sale for roughly half of the normal price. Go to www.tdiclub.com and do search for Bentley Manual as there is a post telling where to get the manual at the sale price. I can't remember exactly what merchant had it for sale. TDIClub is invaluable for knowledge about the TDI and you should spend some time there.
    Many places sell them, some local dealerships carry them,

http://www.parts4ws.com

http://www.rapidparts.com

are two places I know of online

• gp33122gp33122 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8T automatic. Has anyone else experienced some misfire at early morning startup, but then goes away after a few seconds. I took the car to VW service and they changed the wires and spark plugs and kept it over night to start it up in the morning. Next morning came and it kept misfiring. They then emptied the gas tank and put their own gas and kept it over night again. Next morning the misfiring did not occur. Service advisor said to try a different gas station, always using premium gas of course. I tried that for a few weeks and it seemed to work, but I've noticed that it has slowly started to misfire at early morning startups again. Has anyone else experienced this and got it fixed? If so, what got fixed?
  • david0422david0422 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know where I can buy a HID headlight with good price for my 2000 Jetta GLS ?

Second, how can I do in order not to have day running light ?

Thank you very much !
    To remove the DRL's:

1. At the headlight switch, push the knob in firmly, then twist to the right

2. Pull the switch out

3. Locate the "TFL" pin and cover it with electrical tape.

4. Reinstall switch.

------------------------

With the HID's, keep in mind, putting in a retrofit kit will eliminate your high beams (which may fail safety inspection). You can import OEM HID's, but that's pretty expensive.

try places like http://www.hids4less.com

• unhappyvwunhappyvw Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 vw jetta w/ only 2k miles just died on the freeway. I was merging onto the freeway, all of a sudden, the generator light came on and the car became powerless, and within secs, died! VW told me it's the transmission, and they will replace it with a new one, they said there is fluid leak and the transmission is falling apart, there is clutch material inside etc. Any thoughts?
  • justbobjustbob Member Posts: 1
    Our beloved 1985 Jetta stalls then after sitting for 5 minutes to an hour will start up again. Other times dash lights dim, the radio and horn quite just before the car stalls. The dealer diagnosed the problem with the starter (???)replaced it and some wiring. Three days and $240 later and the problem isn't fixed. We have our NB and a 2000 Jetta but use this car to leave at the airport on vacation and such. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • thomasibaileythomasibailey Member Posts: 21
    Has anyone fooled with their VW Jetta windshield wiper blades yet? Mine don't seem to have enough force to really do a great job of clearing the view. I'd to go with shorter blades. Tried the on my Ford Explorer and it's been great. Went to the local auto parts store and they couldn't seem to find a replacement. Sure I can go to the dealer but they only have one size. Tried Bon-Ammi to clean the surface, but it's the same as ever.
    To be more specific it's not streaking I'm seeing,just a kind of film left right after the blade passes, then it goes away after the wind dries it. This is not a nice problem to have while driving at night.
    Try cleaning your windshield with a solution of 50/50 water/vinegar. Sounds like your windshield may have hard water stains on it. Try it out.
  • alexisslpalexisslp Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a VW turbo jetta in october--I have had to take the car in for a coil pack replacement 3 times and have to have speakers replaced 4 times---and I do not listen to the radio over 1/2 the possible volume at any instance--The lemon law in illinois is 3 chances for repair in 12,000 miles--however my dealer begs to differ---this has been a major inconvenience because i need the car to get back and forth from work and there is always a prob. getting a rental car---does this meet the lemon law does anyone know--and has anyone else experienced this problem Thanks
  • dageedagee Member Posts: 2
    We had a similar experience with our 2002 Jetta V6. The clutch system failed/burned up after 3,000 miles. The dealer service department replaced the system twice and the problem remained unresolved. So they replaced the transmission with a rebuild. We just got the car back today after being in the shop for 21 days. The car does not have the pick up that it use to. My husband has a co-worker who had the same experience with her 2001 Jetta V6. As we are doing, she filed a claim with the BBB and had VW re-buy her Jetta. There is info in the warranty section of your owner's manual on how to file a claim with the BBB. You are now the third person we know of who has had to have the trans. replaced in the Jetta after close to 3,000 miles. I personnally have lost faith. The kicker is... Today when we returned home from the dealership there was a recall notice in our mailbox for all 2001-2002 Jetta for the ABS system! Now back to the shop it goes! Good Luck! dagee
  • rocquerocque Member Posts: 37
    MY 2ooo Jetta tdi is a real lemon
    1. eats light for breakfast
    2. loss of power
    3. also eats rear breaks for dinner
    4. incompetent service from dealer
    5. check engine light comes on just to put me in a bad mood
    6. faulty window and light switches
    7. paint chipping when people breath on the car

ANYBODY WANT A GOOD JETTA FOR A DOLLAR
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    My 2000 Jetta GLS VR6 has gone through FIVE O2 sensors in 21K miles.

- Any one else's VR6 "eat" so many O2 sensors in such a short period of time?
    - Any advice on what recourse I have? The first three were under the 2year/20K B2B warranty.

Thanks,

Ken
  • thomasibaileythomasibailey Member Posts: 21
    Hey, why didn't I think of that! The 50/50 mix of water and vinegar did the trick.
    11,000 miles (02 Golf TDI) driveshafts are toasted new. No potholes, all smooth roads.....
  • gasman13gasman13 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 1.8T with black velour interior. It cannot be cleaned - gathers dust and cannot be vacuumed, brushed, or lint rolled clean. Dealer admits there's a problem but factory rep says I'll just have to live with it. It's been back three times to service shop, where they apparently have to use duct tape to clean it. Anyone else have this problem?. The regular non turbo 4 has a slightly different material which does clean OK.