Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

For some reason the car still has wheel mounted shift paddles and launch control- features that might be used by 0.005% of G12 owners(Alpina B7 owners excepted).

I have tried paddle shifters once to see how well they work, going down a steep hill. I like a manual gear shift, but, the paddles do nothing for me, and are actually difficult to use as I have to think do I want a - or a + in this situation. Then, I think, is it worth ruining my transmission if I do the wrong thing!

Don't think you will ruin the transmission or the engine. Using the paddle shifters with either an automatic or DCT the computers keep you from doing stuff that will hurt the engine or transmission. Such things as not allowing an up shift if the engine speed isn't high enough to make the shift.
    I once "THINK" I read that if you were going down a steep hill, it is better to just use your brakes rather than shifting into a lower gear. Their thinking was, people like to use the lower gear to slow the vehicle down, but, the extra wear on the transmission isn't worth the cost of using the brakes....which may wear out brakes sooner, but, brakes are relatively less expensive to replace.
    Major correction, brakes are waaaaay less expensive than transmissions.

I have never been one who has to test a cars limit and I haven't changed to this day. However, even if I wanted to, the cars today won't allow you to hurt them. I guess that is a good thing.

It looks I passed up my chance to do those kinds of things. Who ever said "don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today", must have been a car guy, huh? :'(

jmonroe
    Yes brakes are waaaaay less expensive but on those long descents down steep mountain roads those brakes will heat up and if they fade you may be replacing the whole car.
    I haven't driven down long mountain roads but I saw on TV a couple times where, at the top of the hill, there are signs stating that a lower gear should be used and this applied to cars. Of course for trucks, it is mandatory.

Years ago before I was married, I was coming to an intersection on the way home from work that is not too far from where I live now and the traffic is backed up for about 100 yards. A semi coming down a long hill (not as long and steep as a mountain road but steep for around here) on the right side of where I would be at that intersection, lost it's brakes and ran into a car on the passenger side and pushed that car at least 30 yards down the road. Needless to say, the driver was killed. Fortunately he was the only person in the car. To this day every time I come to that intersection I still can't forget about that disaster and that was about 50 years ago.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Michaell said:

Both the MINI and the Subaru have paddles; to my knowledge, neither my daughter or my have ever used them.

I have, occasionally, just for the fun of it.

My E-GT has the shifter that I can move into "manual" mode, the move it backwards or forwards to change gears. Again, not something that gets used all that often.

However, I am seriously considering a stick shift for my next car, when the lease is up in a few months.

A manual is not in my future until I retire and move away from traffic congestion.
    Planning on moving to the desert? :p
    Nope just away from a big city with lots of traffic.
    Be careful what you wish for.......think it over carefully. 18 years ago we moved about 15 minutes out of town, we were on 100 acres, thought it would be quiet and restful, and it is in some ways - but, there could be a whole other set of problems you may not have thought of. I will list at random;
    *If unexpected visitors come you may travel for miles to get food items
    *Plan grocery trips carefully, a long ways if you forget something
    *Keep a cooler in the car in warm weather, to bring home frozen and refrigerated items
    *As you get older you may want to live closer to hospitals and doctors
    *Quiet country can get noisy with frogs and/or crickets at night
    *There was a drag strip about 5 miles away....sound carries at night
    *People tend to drive by and throw all kinds of things out of their car...onto your property.
    A big one is they like to drop off old tires and sofas

Just some things to think about. I prefer to be in civilization. Oh, and a big one is we can go for a walk in the evening with the dog, it is hard to walk around when it is dark out in the country.
    I am not talking about moving out of town just to a much less populated area.

So no not out of town, just away from a big city to a much smaller town. Tampa would even qualify (even though I would prefer smaller).
    In that case there are lots of nice small towns in Florida....much smaller than Tampa. Tampa is pretty busy with lots of gridlock. If you don't have to be right on the coast then go a little inland where prices are 1/3rd to 1/2 the price of a similar home that is near the water.....and flood insurance will be a fraction of the cost.

I just used Tampa as an example because it's on your profile and the metro area has less than half the population of the Chicago metro area and Chicago has around 4 times the population density of Tampa. Since our daughter and son-in-law moved to Orlando we have thought somewhere in central Florida would do. We have also considered Tennessee, the Carolinas, Nevada, Belize and the Philippines.
    That is why I thought you chose Tampa as an example. There are lots of smaller places to live though, than Tampa. The town we are in in Florida has about 18000.....ideal and it isn't a tourist town. I don't want to say what it is in case a few posters show up at my door. :p

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735

stever said:

I'd send my BIL over to look it over but he doesn't drive. The wheels really make it. (If you missed the last ad, here it is again).

I can't imagine with all the expense put into that car for restoration he's having trouble selling it at that price.
    It is kind of a crazy market. Today at the show there was another 73 'vert that had been cleaned up. It started out better (virtually no rust) so he spent less to fix it up. Nice paint, new top, and a few other odds and ends and asking $13,500. Put me at a disadvantage for sure. Mechanically mine was better, but it cost a bunch more money to get there.

I'll keep driving and showing it on weekends. Side note, this is my first air cooled VW that has a working heater, in fact I can't turn the heat off! I was cooking on the drive back home even with the top down...
    murphydog said:

stever said:

I'd send my BIL over to look it over but he doesn't drive. The wheels really make it. (If you missed the last ad, here it is again).

I can't imagine with all the expense put into that car for restoration he's having trouble selling it at that price.
    It is kind of a crazy market. Today at the show there was another 73 'vert that had been cleaned up. It started out better (virtually no rust) so he spent less to fix it up. Nice paint, new top, and a few other odds and ends and asking $13,500. Put me at a disadvantage for sure. Mechanically mine was better, but it cost a bunch more money to get there.

I'll keep driving and showing it on weekends. Side note, this is my first air cooled VW that has a working heater, in fact I can't turn the heat off! I was cooking on the drive back home even with the top down...
    Yours is a great looking car Murph, but it isn't easy, you have to match up with the right person at the right time with the right car........it all has to line up perfectly. All you can do is keep plugging away. Keep it on the market even when you are at home....trade journals etc. Maybe there is a VW dealer somewhere who would like to have it for their showroom....my MB dealer has a few classics they keep in the showroom.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2016
    murphydog said:

stever said:

Oops, that just killed it for me, even though I'm cold natured. Today's forecast:

Maybe it's time to stick it on Bring A Trailer?

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    Oops, that just killed it for me, even though I'm cold natured. Today's forecast:

Maybe it's time to stick it on Bring A Trailer?

Yeah, but you don't have any humidity to speak of. Today in the Burgh area it's going to be almost 90 with humidity in the 60's. It's going to be a real whopper here and I ain't talking about no hamburger sandwich either. :@

You wanna trade for a day?

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    stever said:
    Oops, that just killed it for me, even though I'm cold natured. Today's forecast: Maybe it's time to stick it on Bring A Trailer?
    I would suffer summer days with 100+ temps if it means I won't have to suffer subzero temp and 18 inches of snow in the winter. 

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    edited July 2016
    snake, I am with you. My problem is, my wife is the opposite. Does not like it particularly hot out, and hates humidity. I hate being ice cold, and I really hate snow.

one reason certain parts of Tenn or NC would work for us. Up in the corner where there are some mountains, you get nice temperate weather. seasons, but none of them brutal.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    I wish I was cold natured. I hate anything over 80.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704

Nice rig, murphydog! Those wheels with that color grabs the eyes just right.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Speaking of heat and hot weather. Could there be a correlation between the senseless killings in Orlando, Dallas, MPLS, and Baton Rouge? Perhaps just a coincidence but it feels real spooky. BTW, we are experiencing drought conditions in Boston. Most lawns are parched and water bans are in effect in many localities.
    edited July 2016
    I grew up in the heat/humidity in N. Mississippi. Without AC until I was 10 or so. Current humidity here is 27%. Sort of miss the snow (Boise was nice that way - skiing 15 miles away and other than a week of 105 in the summer, most of the time it was banana belt weather with little snow in town). I love waking up to 80° though.

It's been an eye-opener living here to see how few people in the heat bother with a convertible or even sunroofs. I assumed there'd be droptops everywhere.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Yesterday I got called into the service department. The general manager showed me a curb rash and a gouged tire on the RF wheel of the X5 I clocked in the day before(since I'm accepting delivery it's my job to inspect any new cars for damage before signing the bill of lading). The tech who moved the car from where I parked it denied causing the damage.The manager didn't chew me out but he wanted me to see the damage so I'd double down on inspecting new cars. I told him that I didn't see the damage but that's no excuse(still, I thought I had examined the wheels pretty thoroughly- and on top of that, the X5 was pulled straight off the truck and not moved until I clocked it in). There is a 24 hour window to report damage after a delivery so I asked the other Genius(OG) how to use that procedure.

The OG looked at the wheel and decided to examine where I parked it. It turns out there was a fresh tire/wheel mark on the curb EXACTLY where it would be if you were backing out the X5 and cut the wheel too soon. Hmmm... So, without even asking, the OG goes to the GM and tells him there's no way the wheel was damaged in transit- and that I didn't do it either. A bit later I recalled that I had taken a picture of the X5 after I clocked it in- and posted the picture in this topic. I pull the photo up and-lo and behold-there is no damage to the RF wheel. I ended up being vindicated, but from now on I'm taking a shot of every wheel on every car that I clock in. In retrospect, as my wife said- my taking that picture on a whim must have been a God Thing.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Driving a convert in 100 degree heat at altitude in a desert can be brutal. You're 4,000 feet closer to the sun than I am ! B) ......and 20 degrees hotter.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    It has been my experience that people in extremely hot climates do NOT like convertibles very much, they prefer air conditioning. Convertibles are nice when the weather is nice, not when the temperature is 95 or higher in the shade. And with the top down, you have no shade. Just sayin'.

I was out car shopping again yesterday, and it was brutally hot. Heat index close to 110. I posted over in the TDI forum about looking at a 2013 Passat TDI. The one I really liked yesterday was a 2015 Nissan Quest SV. This was at the Hertz used car lot, which I said bad things about a few months ago. But this particular minivan was in good shape, very clean for the 42k miles. And Hertz is very upfront with their pricing, no haggling, take it or leave it. No "4 square", no running back and forth to the manager, no "mop and glo", no inflated doc fees.

As to the minivan, I don't like the back seats as much as I do the ones in a Chrysler T&C. They are fine as seats, but they don't "disappear" the way seats do in the T&C. The driver's seat was not power (surprising, the SV trim has power sliding side doors, but not a power driver's seat). Which doesn't matter much to me, as I will be the only driver, and it does have manual adjustments, including height. I really, really, really wish all car manufacturers would start doing that, but I digress...

Performance was very good. The engine and transmission (CVT) felt very peppy, acceleration from a stop or passing on the freeway felt fine. The CVT felt like it downshifted and accelerated with less delay than a conventional transmission. I guess Nissan has been doing CVT transmissions longer than anyone, so they would be more likely to get it right by now.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    murphydog said:

jmonroe said:

murphydog said:

Ghia update -

I finally ditched the red wheels - long story as I tried to get chrome VW wheels, but there is a production issue, so I went with Empi's instead, I think they look great. Going to the 35th annual PNW VW meet tomorrow, and I am going to wheel and deal! Hopefully I can share a sales story soon.

Hey, you're probably at the VW meet and it's none of our business how much you are asking for the Ghia but if you get a chance and happen to see the guy that brought the girls to the last meet, post some more pics. If he brought new girls we'll cast our vote if the new crop is better than the last.

One more thing, if you see the girls, let us know how much they're going for this time around. We never did get the previous quote. ;)

jmonroe
    Ha! Funny thing, no bikini clad helpers at the VW show, I think that is a Ferrari thing? Anyway we have dropped the Ghia to 17,500, but likely will go as low as $15K.

I just don't have it in me to keep it - I much prefer newer cars. I am however convinced that my next car will be a convertible.
    You are in Seattle?

Drive to Issaquah on any Sunday and park it in front of the Triple XXX drive in on Gilman with the sign in the window! A lot of cars sell that way! Heck, I might just be the one to buy it!
  • murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735

murphydog said:

jmonroe said:

murphydog said:

Ghia update -

I finally ditched the red wheels - long story as I tried to get chrome VW wheels, but there is a production issue, so I went with Empi's instead, I think they look great. Going to the 35th annual PNW VW meet tomorrow, and I am going to wheel and deal! Hopefully I can share a sales story soon.

Hey, you're probably at the VW meet and it's none of our business how much you are asking for the Ghia but if you get a chance and happen to see the guy that brought the girls to the last meet, post some more pics. If he brought new girls we'll cast our vote if the new crop is better than the last.

One more thing, if you see the girls, let us know how much they're going for this time around. We never did get the previous quote. ;)

jmonroe
    Ha! Funny thing, no bikini clad helpers at the VW show, I think that is a Ferrari thing? Anyway we have dropped the Ghia to 17,500, but likely will go as low as $15K.

I just don't have it in me to keep it - I much prefer newer cars. I am however convinced that my next car will be a convertible.
    You are in Seattle?

Drive to Issaquah on any Sunday and park it in front of the Triple XXX drive in on Gilman with the sign in the window! A lot of cars sell that way! Heck, I might just be the one to buy it!
    I have been thinking about that, especially now that I have the nicer wheels on it. There is also an informal get together at Redmond Town Center too...
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    That Karmann Ghia is very nice looking, and a convertible. I think you are just experiencing some unexplained market perturbations, so don't panic. Enjoy it until you get the right offer. I think Isell is right about trying to sell locally and saving all those auctioneer fees.
    murphydog said:

murphydog said:

jmonroe said:

murphydog said:

Ghia update -

jmonroe

You are in Seattle?

I have been thinking about that, especially now that I have the nicer wheels on it. There is also an informal get together at Redmond Town Center too...
    I'm heading to the XXX now!
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    edited July 2016
    jmonroe said:

I haven't driven down long mountain roads but I saw on TV a couple times where, at the top of the hill, there are signs stating that a lower gear should be used and this applied to cars. Of course for trucks, it is mandatory.

Years ago before I was married, I was coming to an intersection on the way home from work that is not too far from where I live now and the traffic is backed up for about 100 yards. A semi coming down a long hill (not as long and steep as a mountain road but steep for around here) on the right side of where I would be at that intersection, lost it's brakes and ran into a car on the passenger side and pushed that car at least 30 yards down the road. Needless to say, the driver was killed. Fortunately he was the only person in the car. To this day every time I come to that intersection I still can't forget about that disaster and that was about 50 years ago.

jmonroe

Back in the mid-1960s when I was around 10 years old we lived on this street , Russell St in north end Halifax, N.S., which in this section is steeply downhill heading towards the Halifax Shipyards and Halifax Harbour. A dump truck was heading downhill on Russell for some reason (he must have been either doing work on the street or taking a shortcut as it is not a heavily-used street) when his brakes failed. He shot across Barrington St at the bottom, somehow missed any traffic that was on it, crashed through a cement wall on the far side of the street, and fell some 20-30 feet before he landed in a railway gully that ran next to the shipyard. The guy somehow survived it all. I remember seeing a big crane arrive to pull what was left of the dump truck out of the gully. For years after there was a section of concrete wall that marked the spot as it was a different color than the older sections. I still remember that day just like you do.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

stickguy said:

snake, I am with you. My problem is, my wife is the opposite. Does not like it particularly hot out, and hates humidity. I hate being ice cold, and I really hate snow.

one reason certain parts of Tenn or NC would work for us. Up in the corner where there are some mountains, you get nice temperate weather. seasons, but none of them brutal.

My wife was born and raised in the Philippines (moved here in her early 20's) and despite living in the Chicago area longer than she lived in the Philippines she has not become accustomed to the cold. Me on the other hand being born on a cold Chicago winters morning of strong Nordic stock, cold weather didn't bother me much. The coldest temperature recorded here was in 1985 when it hit 26 below. I remember that winter well, I had a 1980 Mustang with a carburetor, I was out every 4 hours running the car, even overnight. Man it was cold but it really didn't bother me. But ever since I passed the age of 50 winters started to get harder each year.

henryn said:

It has been my experience that people in extremely hot climates do NOT like convertibles very much, they prefer air conditioning. Convertibles are nice when the weather is nice, not when the temperature is 95 or higher in the shade. And with the top down, you have no shade. Just sayin'.

I take the top down whenever the temperature is 60 or higher and it's not raining. I have had it down it temps exceeding 100 degrees with high humidity and as long as you're moving it's OK.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    murphydog said:

murphydog said:

jmonroe said:

murphydog said:

Ghia update -

jmonroe

You are in Seattle?

Drive it over to Isell's house. I remember someone on here once saying that there is no bigger laydown than a car salesman. ;)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Some truth to that. I used to despise "grinders" that would spend hours picking over a hundred dollars so I know I usually just go ahead and buy if I think it's a decent price.

We do have a nice Dodge truck we are selling that would make a great trade!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Any car will sell if priced correctly. Ultimately, it's always buyers who set the market price on used cars.
    when I had the Miata, I had the top down whenever it went above 42 IIRC, and wasn't raining. 42 because that is what I was told was the minimum safe temp to put the top down (I think if colder it might crack or something?

put the windows up, wear gloves, put the heat on floor, and you can really drive it just fine in nearly any temp.

stickguy said:

when I had the Miata, I had the top down whenever it went above 42 IIRC, and wasn't raining. 42 because that is what I was told was the minimum safe temp to put the top down (I think if colder it might crack or something?

put the windows up, wear gloves, put the heat on floor, and you can really drive it just fine in nearly any temp.

My Sebring won't let you put the top down if it's 32 or colder and won't let you put it up when it is zero or colder.

Now driving with the top down and the windows up is like driving around in a fish bowl.

When I had the 2008 328 vert I found I could put the top down about 15 times a year. Temp had to be between 70 and 84, no or little wind, not enjoyable on the highway, not have the dog in the car (doesn't like direct sun), if my wife was along had to be evening or a very cloudy day (doesn't like direct sun - something about aging), no sign of rain (hate pulling over to put top up), had to be careful of low flying birds-once got a huge splat on the windshield - it he had gone 6 inches further back we would have been covered. Since the roof fit in the trunk, had to keep the top up if we were on a trip. Sometimes people wanted to sit in the back and experience the convertible thing........after 1/2 a mile they had enough.

It was great on the 15 days a year when I could use it, but the sacrifice in comfort and trunk space didn't make it worthwhile for my prime car. And, that is why only 10% of the people buy more than one.

driver100 said:

When I had the 2008 328 vert I found I could put the top down about 15 times a year. Temp had to be between 70 and 84, no or little wind, not enjoyable on the highway, not have the dog in the car (doesn't like direct sun), if my wife was along had to be evening or a very cloudy day (doesn't like direct sun - something about aging), no sign of rain (hate pulling over to put top up), had to be careful of low flying birds-once got a huge splat on the windshield - it he had gone 6 inches further back we would have been covered. Since the roof fit in the trunk, had to keep the top up if we were on a trip. Sometimes people wanted to sit in the back and experience the convertible thing........after 1/2 a mile they had enough.

It was great on the 15 days a year when I could use it, but the sacrifice in comfort and trunk space didn't make it worthwhile for my prime car. And, that is why only 10% of the people buy more than one.

I've had my top down at least 15 times this month already, as a matter of fact it's sitting in the garage right now with the top down and in 15 minutes when I go to work it will remain down (top will be up while parked at work, but down for the trip home). Wind and highway speed don't seem to be an issue with this car, at least to me and others who have rode with me. As for the trunk, my top drops into the trunk and in the last 6 or 7 years I had to have the top up because of things in the truck maybe 3 or 4 times, really not that much of an issue. I can fit at least one golf bag in the trunk with the top down and have gone on extended weekend trips with it down and the luggage in the truck.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    So, showing what a small world it is after all, some of you might recall that I make an attempt at purchasing a one owner '98 Cobra convertible a couple of months back. Well, ran into the owner (who was driving it) this weekend.

He said he is still interested in selling, but not actively advertising it. Last price he shot me was $13K (not remembering exactly).

I thought it had 48K on the odo. It actually has 28K. No matter. Nice car. He dropped down to $12K.

Even in excellent condition (which it is, always garaged, new tires and battery, one owner), KBB has it at $10K.

I told him we're getting closer but still not there yet. I threw $10,500 out. He said he'd think about it.

We'll see!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

"I thought it had 48K on the odo. It actually has 28K. No matter. Nice car."

28k? Be still my heart. :)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

OldFarmer....I could see where that sale was going as soon as you said the salesperson pulled out the 4-square sheet. Keeping silent had to be killing you.

But, sometimes you can't save people from themselves.

Murphy...THAT's a cool looking car. I'm sure you'll get plenty of bites.

RB....I've always liked all of BMW's SUVs. If I were in the market, now being an empty nester, I could probably be talked in to an X1 or X3. X5 is a bit on the big side for me.

Still have a car buying itch. I just can't land on something I really want.

Try the Q3, I was impressed, and I'm not an SUV kind of man. However, the X5 is a comfortable ride.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited July 2016

I tried a 200A model with a few options and got $52000. Seems like a pretty nice car for that amount. The lighter interior looked much nicer to me.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    I'd like to try an X1 just to see how it fits into the garage and how high the fun factor is. Just not sure if I want to stay in Germany or go back to Japan/Korea next time out. Think it'll depend on what I find at the time, the amount I can get for the Golf and if I go for new or CPO. Might have to do CPO if I stay in Germany but could do new if going asian.
    Decisions, decisions. Funny thing is I've finally found what I really like but not sure if getting the same vehicle, just newer, is the answer. Think I was in a rut having so many Japanese vehicles in a row, all very similar to the previous one and only one that I truly loved. As we found out, the Tucson was a huge mistake and if things had gone the way I had wanted, there's be a 2014 Tiguan in the garage with a bit over 36K on the clock! Funny thing is I got into Germany by going through Korea!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

driver100 said:

I tried a 200A model with a few options and got $52000. Seems like a pretty nice car for that amount. The lighter interior looked much nicer to me.
    Too bad if you want the 3.0L turbo motor you have to take a pile of options that boost the price to the low $70s.

I'd like to try an X1 just to see how it fits into the garage and how high the fun factor is. Just not sure if I want to stay in Germany or go back to Japan/Korea next time out. Think it'll depend on what I find at the time, the amount I can get for the Golf and if I go for new or CPO. Might have to do CPO if I stay in Germany but could do new if going asian.
    Decisions, decisions. Funny thing is I've finally found what I really like but not sure if getting the same vehicle, just newer, is the answer. Think I was in a rut having so many Japanese vehicles in a row, all very similar to the previous one and only one that I truly loved. As we found out, the Tucson was a huge mistake and if things had gone the way I had wanted, there's be a 2014 Tiguan in the garage with a bit over 36K on the clock! Funny thing is I got into Germany by going through Korea!

The Sandman :)B)

I've seen a few of those X1s around and they looked nice but pretty small. Make sure you fit into it.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

I've seen a few of those X1s around and they looked nice but pretty small. Make sure you fit into it.

Is the X1 about the same size as the Juke? I saw one on the road and it looked to be about that size.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I am still totally befuddled as to what my next car will be, so it is a good thing I have 16 months on the lease.

but 1 think I am positive of is, it will not be one of those Lincolns.

I think the new X1 is a little bigger than the original, but around Juke size sounds about right.

driver100 said:

Too bad if you want the 3.0L turbo motor you have to take a pile of options that boost the price to the low $70s.
    Low $70s....that is E400 territory! I like it, but not that much. Rather have the real thing.....tried and true!

Is the X1 about the same size as the Juke? I saw one on the road and it looked to be about that size.

Jukes are really small. I would compare the X1 to a Ford Escape. I think they look pretty substantial for a small SUV, but I like the heavier look of an X3 even more.

I got this email today....do you think it is fake (I bolded one sentence)? CIBC is Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce and we don't have an account with them.

CIBC Online® Banking E-mail & Wireless Update Alert

Our records indicate that your Online banking account has been locked.
    Follow the instruction below to unlock your CIBC Online Banking account

Please Download on the Attach File

*If you do not Unlock your account within 48hours, it will lead to lost of your
    CIBC account.

Thank you for banking with us.

Sincerely,
    CIBC Online® Banking Department

I decided to check. Juke is 162" long (I thought it was a little bigger). The current X1 is 175". so it is a foot longer. The Juke is barely the size of a Golf.

edited July 2016
    driver100 said:

I got this email today....do you think it is fake

I'm sure they've blocked your non-existent account because you ignored that phone call from the Canada Revenue Agency threatening you with jail if you didn't send a $2,000 money order to that post office box in Wawa.

Rhetorical question, right?
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Buick Encore is 168" long, so Juke is really small! Mazda 3 is 175", so the X1 is probably smaller than the Escape. A nice size.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited July 2016
    driver100 said:

I got this email today....do you think it is fake (I bolded one sentence)? CIBC is Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce and we don't have an account with them.

CIBC account.

Sincerely,

If I responded to every email regarding my non-existent accounts, lottery wins I didn't play, all the African millionaire widows and orphans asking me for help to shore up milions from their corrupted officials, or just gave my name to all those diplomats that are just dying to hand me all this money... Why am I still working?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    I had a F48 X1 loaner awhile back and it is essentially the same size as the original E83 X3.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

driver100 said:

CIBC account.

Sincerely,

Oh that notice is totally legitimate. There's a very nice Nigerian Prince who sends those out to help people out of the goodness of his heart. :p

What the heck?

Chrysler is being sued for inflating sales figures? Seems the booked bogus sales at the end of each month and then deleted them at the begining of the next.

To what end?