Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

FWD or AWD?

jesmc1jesmc1 Member Posts: 5
edited July 2016 in Honda
Hello,

I am working on purchasing a 2014 CRV EX-L to use as a tow car behind my motorhome. Because I am currently in the Northeast, all I can find are AWD. Since I don't plan to ever see snow again, I would prefer to buy a FWD vehicle, but it is almost impossible to find one within a reasonable distance. My question: is there a significant difference between the AWD and the FWD in terms of gas mileage, repair costs or purchase price? I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and buy an AWD, since they are so much more common. Thank you.

Jes
Tagged:

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It looks like you can flat tow either an AWD or FWD 2014 CR-V, but you'll have follow these instructions:

Run engine at the beginning of
    each day, press brake pedal and
    move shifter through all positions,
    shift into drive and hold for 5
    seconds, then to NEUTRAL and let
    engine run for 3 minutes. Repeat
    at least every 8 hours thereafter.
    When towing for long periods, re-
    move 7.5-A accessory radio fuse.

Now, to your question. Yes, the AWD adds weight (about 100 lbs) and will drop MPG 1-2 mpg. Also repair costs, should they occur, might be more although Hondas tend to be pretty reliable.

I'd say go for the FWD if there is an appreciable savings in price (there should be). If you can save $1K-$2K on purchase price, that's a lotta gas for the motorhome.

If FWD and AWD prices are running neck and neck, then the advantage of FWD drops off a bit.
  • jesmc1jesmc1 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you! I will continue to work on finding a FWD, but if I don't, I will have to be OK with the AWD.