Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,335
    Oh boy. Have AutoZone pull the codes and pray it's something silly?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    kyfdx said:

Here is the best part. Went back out to run an errand and the check engine light is on. lol :(

Quick get out the black electrical tape before you-know-who notices!
    Congrats @graphicguy!  I told my wife the story of how you bought this car, and she even commented that it seems like a much more reasonable fun car that only gets driven occasionally vs buying something brand new. 
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,937
    benjaminh said:

jpp5862 said:

benjaminh said:

Just traded in my 2008 Accord EXL navi for a 2016 Accord EX with AndroidAuto. Love it so far.

@benjaminh Congrats on the new Accord! Interested to hear your impressions of the 2016 compared to your 2008. Any reason you didn't go with the EX-L over the EX this time?
    Love the 2016 Accord so far. Honda has upgraded the EX so much I didn't see the need to go to EXL. My 2008 was actually an EXL Navi, but the 2016 EX and above has AndroidAuto/AppleCarplay--and so there's no need for navi.

In terms of leather, I like it fine, but actually in the often hot climate that I live in (Louisville, KY) I slightly prefer cloth. Also, although I don't mind conditioning my leather every year, I don't mind skipping that either.

My 2008 EXL was really loaded for the day, but now features that used to be only on the top-of-the-line models, like dual zone climate control, bluetooth, etc., are available even on the base LX model.

And the EX and above has a feature called remote start that I really like. From c. 50 feet away you can start your car, and it starts either heating it or cooling it to 70 degrees. If needed, it even starts the defroster and defogger for you, I think. We have a one car garage, which my wife gets, and since I get to park on the street this is going to be a nice feature on snowy and frosty days. Rather than scraping the car from cold, I can start the process while I'm finishing my coffee and brushing my teeth, and then go out and finish it up.

In terms of power, the 2016 has more, and it's also significantly quieter than my 2008. The handling seems better than my 2008 or even my wife's 2013 Accord. They did some kind of suspension upgrade for 2016 for EX and above that I think involves using shocks/dampers adapted from Acura. This gives you a firmer ride on smooth roads, but smooths out the bumps on bumpy roads.

Like with all midsize cars there are great deals out there. I got 4000+ off of the msrp plus 0.9 financing for 5 years from Honda.

What color did you get? I like the improvements they made to the EX. I always thought the EX should have a split folding rear seat back, satellite radio, remote start, homelink, and a leather wrapped steering wheel. You got all except the leather wrapped steering wheel. The cloth in the EX is very comfortable and seems to wear well. Mine still looks new after almost 3 years and 58k. I did put a leather cover over my steering wheel and it made a nice difference. Took about 1.5 hours to install. I can provide you the vendor if you'd like. Enjoy!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited July 2016
    Yes, I do slightly miss the leather-wrapped steering wheel, although I'm not sure I'm willing to spend an hour and a half putting one on! But yours looks nice, and yes I'd be curious about the vendor. Thanks.

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    sda said:

That is a great looking car! Congrats and enjoy! As my dad would always say "keep it between the ditches!"

LOL Like bowling, right? So, what happens if you get a strike?! That Cobra really does look nice. The red over tan looks great (particularly on a drop top).

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,156
    Since I was out this morning with the wife's Subaru, I thought I'd stop by the Hyundai dealer on the same block. This isn't the one I leased my E-GT from, but the next closest one.

Looked at the new Elantra again as well as the Sonata Sport. As much as I like the tech on the Elantra, it felt a little too much like my current ride. And, variety being the spice of life and all that, I'm starting to gravitate to the Sonata.

Sport trim, that is. Has an interesting combo of cloth inserts and leather bolsters on the seats. Add the premium package and you get the proximity key, heated seats, and a few other creature comforts.

Decided to take it for a quick spin.

Quiet is the first adjective that comes to mind. Even though it's only got a 4 banger under the hood, it felt reasonably powerful. Certainly not like the wife's Outback with the H-6, but certainly better than my 148 HP hatchback.

Power seats, that I was able to get comfortable in. Nice tech - I think Apple Car Play is available, which is nice.

About $25-26K. Not sure of the discounting, but there is $2000 lease cash this month.

I figure anything under $300/mo will be a pretty easy sell to the wife.

Who still - darn it! - wants me to wait until October.

No pull ahead program at the moment. 3 payments left.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    henryn said:
    Congrats @henryn! I passed on the Golf I went to look at today, the A/C didn't work and while they said it would "be an easy fix" it gives me pause to buy in case I did have to keep it long term.
    Nice vehicle @kyfdx! Hope the check engine light isn't anything major. :disappointed:
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    Michael, if the Jetta deal had not happened last year, next stop was Hyundai, to look at a sonata sport with tech. Basically my car, without leather or a moonroof. Nice ride, and lotta car for the money.

I really want CarPlay next time.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

Michael, if the Jetta deal had not happened last year, next stop was Hyundai, to look at a sonata sport with tech. Basically my car, without leather or a moonroof. Nice ride, and lotta car for the money.

I really want CarPlay next time.

Question for you - the car I looked at today had the "smart trunk" feature, but the sales lady couldn't get it to work. What's the trick?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,238
    Congrats, guys! Graphicguy, what is the year of your Mustang? GT or Cobra? And how many miles?
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Met friends for dinner and they just got a brand new Subaru Legacy, silver over black. Went for a short ride and really liked it, figured it was too new to ask for a spin behind the wheel. Leather felt nice enough and seat was comfortable. Dash looked pretty complete and had the back-up camera. Since they leased, didn't ask about the price of the car but gotta figure around mid $20's. Since I didn't get a long enough ride, can't comment on much else but there's a lot of competition in the mid-sized market and these should do pretty wheel. They had a CrossX suv, not sure of the name, the smallish one by Subaru and were being steered into another one but got this for a smaller lease price. They like it a lot.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Got an interview at a local dental supply place that turned me down back in 2013, saw their ad on Craigslist. Sent over my resume and reminded the guy he didn't hire me way back when but he said to come on in and talk. It's pretty close to the house so will stop by Monday at 7:30 a m and talk. Would cut out all the tolls and over 3/4 of the drive time which is appealing. As much as I love Hertz, I'm tired of the schlep down there and the long 10 hour days. Plan is to work until end of 2017 or mid 2018...I really wanna stop working!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Michael, if you have the key on you and stand behind the car for a few seconds, the trunk pops open. But it can be diasbled, which is first thing I did. Kept find the trunk ajar. Seems pointless, since you still needs pull trunk lid up.

Sandy, my niece just traded in a rogue for a legacy, and loves it.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    corvette said:

Congrats, guys! Graphicguy, what is the year of your Mustang? GT or Cobra? And how many miles?

It's a '98 Cobra. 28K original miles.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Congrats @graphicguy! Congrats @benjaminh!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@henryn - congrats on the Passat TDI

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

They had a CrossX suv, not sure of the name, the smallish one by Subaru and were being steered into another one but got this for a smaller lease price. They like it a lot.

Crosstrek. My sister got a 2015 one a while back and likes it. Gets a lot better mpg than her '05 Forester did. I've yet to see it, much less drive it.
    stickguy said:

Michael, if you have the key on you and stand behind the car for a few seconds, the trunk pops open. But it can be diasbled, which is first thing I did. Kept find the trunk ajar. Seems pointless, since you still needs pull trunk lid up.

Yeah, we figured that so I went into the menus and turned it on.

Still, no luck.

One minor thing I liked about the Sonata is that the hood has struts; no nasty prop rod to deal with.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    Wow! It's been a busy week/weekend around here!

@graphicguy - congrats on the Mustang (Cobra, right?)! Awesome!

@benjaminh - can't go wrong with an Accord! The new facelift is really catching my eye these days!

@henryn - congrats on the Passat! I didn't have my TSI model for long, but I really did appreciate it. If I had sprung back then for the TDI, I may have kept it longer (which isn't saying much for me I guess).

I was busy today too...

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Sweet lord, @breld!
    So...completed my plan of "combining" what I like about the S4 and the X5 into one vehicle.  

The SQ5 fits the bill nicely - honestly, I like the X5 better as an SUV and the S4 better as a sports sedan.  But, I couldn't drive both at the same time.   :)  And I just really wanted to "simplify" things a bit and consolidate.  Lose an insurance payment, stop having to switch from car to car, etc.  

They started thousands less than where I wanted to be on the double trade, but when I thanked them and was ready to leave, I was invited into the "back room" with the manager to take a closer look at the numbers.  He really wanted to move a unit today.  They came down on the SQ5 to where I wanted to be, they came all the way up to where I wanted to be on the S4, and we were $1,500 short on the X5.  Apparently, because of the outstanding Takata airbag recall, they claimed they would simply wholesale it.  

All in all, I thought it was a great deal.  Nice discount on a 2016 SQ5 with only 7k miles, CPO and Audi care maintenance already paid for.  Plus a set of snow tires that are quite expensive.  

The trade on the S4 was only $6k lower than what I paid almost a year ago.  Apparently a manual S4 is a hot commodity right now.  

And, like I said, a little short of where I wanted to be on the X5, but a full $4k higher than the laughable offer I got from EchoPark a couple weeks ago, and just $1,500 short of "excellent" KBB trade.  

Yowsers Breld!! But hey, really was the right move since no sense paying insurance and upkeep on vehicles which sit at work across town, now that's plain ridiculous if ya think about it. Now it's time to enjoy the current fleet for awhile I'd think.
    Was looking at the nearby BMW store last night and there it was, a 2013 128i, white over coral. almost 24K on the clock for just under $24K. Pics look great and almost like the one I fell in lust with back in 2013 just a different interior color. Thinking about going over Wednesday to give it a look see and maybe a drive. Have to see how heavy the doors are as I need doors as light as my Golf. Super nice looking but would be taking a penalty in the mileage department. But think it'll be more fun to drive.
    Hell, if I knew the wife wouldn't go ballistic on me, I'd shoot caution to the wind and go get it! But it ain't practical for one thing, and surely ain't logical for another. But deep down, really am lusting after it.
    Q gave me a figure of $14K for the Golf so we're about $10K off the mark without any back and forth. Hmmmmmm!!!

edited July 2016
    Henry...nice Passat. Congrats!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, we really need a separate discussion just to keep track of @breld's fleet transactions.

Henry...nice Passat. Congrats!

Thanks! Now I have to decide if I'm going to keep it for the long haul (2 years), or just until October. So far, with about 120 miles on the clock, I'm liking it.

If things work out, and I do show a profit on this, it won't be the first time. I have bought used cars before and showed a slight profit when I got tired of them and resold. More often (much more often), I do lose money, but not what I would call serious money. Two, three, four thousand dollar loss for owning a used car one or two years is not a big deal. And my new vehicle purchases tend to be pickup trucks, which hold their value really well. Reading some of the stories on here, I occasionally feel like I am attending a 12 step program and hearing the "before stories"! (smile)

But you know, life is short, and like the old cliche, they do not have luggage racks on a hearse. Reach out for some gusto, enjoy your life while you're here. I have just recently decided to buy myself a new ZTR mower. I used to own one, when I lived out in the country and had a place with 2 acres. I really enjoyed using that thing, it was fun (to me). So I have decided to buy myself another one, and use it to mow some of the vacant lots here in my neighborhood. Crazy? Yep, you bet. But will I have fun doing it? Yep.

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    'lol, we really need a separate discussion just to keep track of @breld's fleet transactions. '
    LOL - he is qualified to be a
    Platinum CCBA Card holder !
    - Ray
    Merely gold...
    2022 X3 M40i
    rayainsw said:

'lol, we really need a separate discussion just to keep track of @breld's fleet transactions. '
    LOL - he is qualified to be a
    Platinum CCBA Card holder !
    - Ray
    Merely gold...

With two punches last year, and only one (so far) this year, I think I'm only qualified for a "basic membership".
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Man, I leave the computer for a minute to get a cup of coffee, and breld buys another car. It's like going to the rest room at the ballpark and missing a grand slam.... :p
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    So, Autozone can't even pull the codes on a 2013 Audi. It shows the VIN, but doesn't identify the vehicle. They must have some proprietary system. Makes me wonder if my independent can do it. He has All-Data, but not sure if that will be enough.

Geez.. a trip to the Audi dealer is not what I was hoping for. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

At least you're keeping a sense of humor about it, @kyfdx?  If it's something significant, I'd reach back out to the selling dealer. 
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    edited July 2016
    The day before vacation, and breld is into another car. Nice! Congrats, and have a great time at Disney.

I'm starting to think that you should keep a list of vehicles (make/model) you haven't owned, as it would be shorter than what you currently maintain (and would keep getting shorter all the time)! :p

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Congrats @breld! The SQ5 does seem like the perfect combination of the X5 and S4.
    edited July 2016

At least you're keeping a sense of humor about it, @kyfdx?  If it's something significant, I'd reach back out to the selling dealer. 

97K mile car.. not sure that would help, any. If it were title or odometer issues, that might be one thing, but you sign all those papers acknowledging it has no warranty and that you are turning down all sorts of maintenance warranty plans.

I might pay the $150 to get it diagnosed, then see where I am. That's life when buying out of warranty used cars.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@breld.....way cool. I like it, a lot. There must be something in the air here at Edmunds. There's been a rash of car buying lately.
    Thanks all for the kind words on the SQ5! 

Every year I start out with the "best" intentions of keeping the punches down to a reasonable level.  Oh well - maybe next year!

We are indeed in our way to California right now - we're taking a break in Richfield, Utah.  

Wirh the X5 unexpectedly trades in last minute,  the wife is driving the Jetta sport wagon and enjoying it.

edited July 2016
    benjaminh said:

Yes, I do slightly miss the leather-wrapped steering wheel, although I'm not sure I'm willing to spend an hour and a half putting one on! But yours looks nice, and yes I'd be curious about the vendor. Thanks.

I found it on e-bay and the vendor is Wheelskins out of CA. I had intended on buying a White Orchid Pearl Accord and thought I had secured one via online with the dealer. When I went to pick it up, they had loaded it up with dealer accessories which I didn't want. Instead I searched their lot and found a car they hadn't touched yet, thus the Champagne Frost Pearl that I have. At first I wasn't that keen on the color, but have found it to be a good choice.

Congratulations to all that had a punch from the past few days! Happy motoring!

kyfdx said:
    97K mile car.. not sure that would help, any. If it were title or odometer issues, that might be one thing, but you sign all those papers acknowledging it has no warranty and that you are turning down all sorts of maintenance warranty plans. I might pay the $150 to get it diagnosed, then see where I am. That's life when buying out of warranty used cars.
    Yeah I know. I've had some success in the past as a gesture of good will. I mean 24 hours is a little crazy and I'd hate to think it had it while in stock and they just cleared the code...
    Good job @breld! Nice ride! Congrats! I knew once you had that SQ5 in your sights it was only a matter of time! I've still got one more day here in Disney & then it's off to Myrtle Beach, SC.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    edited July 2016
    Congrats, breld. Sweet ride.

I happened to be near a BMW dealer and Benz dealer, so I just took a cursory look at a used X1 and GLK350. The X1 looks to be way too small inside (particularly the back seat). I am definitely leaning toward the GLK. It is closer to X3 size but thousands of dollars less when comparing 2013 models. 

The BMW dealer had something that REALLY caught my eye, though. A 2012 E63 AMG. Gorgeous blue color over tan interior. Fully loaded of course, with 36k miles. Sale price is $43k, which is a good deal. I was drooling over it, but I can't see my way clear to getting into another $40k+ car.

Edit: http://www.bmwoffreehold.com/used-vehicles/2012/Mercedes-Benz/E-Class/WDDHF7EB5CA634879/BF60721AB

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,225
    edited July 2016
    kyfdx said:

So, Autozone can't even pull the codes on a 2013 Audi. It shows the VIN, but doesn't identify the vehicle. They must have some proprietary system. Makes me wonder if my independent can do it. He has All-Data, but not sure if that will be enough.

Audi uses VCDS (used to call it VAG-COM). Surely someone near you has a cable and Ross Tech on their laptop to read codes. Maybe reach out on Audizine or Audiworld?? I'm in Bloomngton IN and have it all but it's 2+ hours away... You should have an independent Audi shop with VCDS. Could even try stores that do ECU flashes- APR, GIAC, Revo...they have them to read error codes when there are hiccups.
    mjfloyd1 said:

kyfdx said:

Audi uses VCDS (used to call it VAG-COM). Surely someone near you has a cable and Ross Tech on their laptop to read codes. Maybe reach out on Audizine or Audiworld?? I'm in Bloomngton IN and have it all but it's 2+ hours away... You should have an independent Audi shop with VCDS. Could even try stores that do ECU flashes- APR, GIAC, Revo...they have them to read error codes when there are hiccups.
    I have a pretty good independent that subscribes to All-Data. If he can scan it, that's who I want doing the work, anyway. We'll see. Of course, I'm hoping for something minor... If it's something that is multiple thousands to repair, this car will sit until the buyback.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@mjfloyd1 If my independent can't handle it, these guys have a good reputation. About 10 miles away, and right next door the the place I test drove the Passat, last week. (and, not an Audi dealer. lol)

http://www.dubwerx.com/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,032
    edited July 2016
    Further to @graphicguy 's deliberations over the new Mustang GT vs. the '98 Cobra, I am somewhat smitten by this new GT at a local dealer:

Yes, I know, the one pic of the car itself did not come out... :open_mouth:

The colors of dark green ("Guard" in Ford-speak) and "Bronze Fire" leather ( a name that does not appear anywhere in their literature or website, but is a dark saddle color) really looks nice. I thought it was an automatic but instead it is a stick. For $4000 more they have a convertible with the same exact equipment and colors. The clearout discounts seem very generous.

Likely not going to happen but what a ride.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6