Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sell it and let someone else enjoy it for a while. ;)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,488
    I think that unless you are purely collecting as an investment, cars should be used and enjoyed. If it usually just sits in the garage, and you aren't getting enjoyment out of it (and don't anticipate that changing in the future), might as well take the "godfather" offer and move on.

You just have to be ready to cut the cord, and not be filled with regrets.

You may be relieved to not have it to deal with. or you might regret it, and have a perfect excuse to find a new set of wheels to play with and be excited about!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Or move to the west coast and you'll probably see one like it that is being used as a daily driver B)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341
    I view my 20 year old 3er the same way I view my farm; it's not for sale- but if someone offers me an obscene amount of money I'd probably take it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,554
    What @stickguy said

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780

I view my 20 year old 3er the same way I view my farm; it's not for sale- but if someone offers me an obscene amount of money I'd probably take it.

Yeah, exactly. I feel that way about my C20, too. As @ab348 said, when you have a car for a couple decades or more, it becomes part of your life. But, if somebody offered me enough for it, I'd let it go and do so without regret. It is fun to have things that you really enjoy, and bring you memories, etc., but there comes a point at which it is also healthy to say goodbye.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If you aren't using it, and the new owners represent a "good home" for it, you couldn't ask for a better outcome after 23 years of ownership.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,084
    Ironically, I owned my white '63 Lark Daytona for 23 years when I was pursued heavily about it, not even having it on the market either. Mine was starting to need some stuff. I still used it pretty often but impending college for daughter #1 was scaring me. I threw out a high price and the guy 'bit'! Good luck. I hope to have another some day although I am realistic that since I am not a mechanic, by that time mechanics who will work on a Studebaker in my area will be gone.

Good luck!

http://www.studebakerskytop.com/billpresslerpics5.jpg
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,073
    edited August 2016
    All good advice. I don't expect to hear from them for a while but if they hit my number then I think I will let it go.

Interestingly, today I went to get a haircut and was telling my barber the story. He said he thinks he knows the other car they were looking at, which they did not like nearly as much as mine, because it is at the house next to his. He was even able to describe them in some detail so it was definitely them. He pointed me at this ad:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/yarmouth/1970-cutlass-supreme-fully-rebuilt-from-frame-up/1188569663?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

A convertible but lots of bad or missing stuff there needing to be fixed and way overpriced given that. Might make my pristine original that much more appealing.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

To my eyes, your '68 is way-preferable to that '70, which is missing so much of its original exterior brightwork it's almost hard to detail it all.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,961

To my eyes, your '68 is way-preferable to that '70, which is missing so much of its original exterior brightwork it's almost hard to detail it all.

I agree and also have a fondness for the '68 as my grandmother had special ordered one in '68. I've shared these pictures before, but what the heck. I love the looks of the '68.

The '70 looks like it is cobbled together. Though it is a '70 front bumper, the blacked out grille looks like it came from a '71 Cutlass Supreme. Wonder if it has been bumped upfront and what other surprises are lurking.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited August 2016
    sda said:

The '70 looks like it is cobbled together. Though it is a '70 front bumper, the blacked out grille looks like it came from a '71 Cutlass Supreme. Wonder if it has been bumped upfront and what other surprises are lurking.

Plenty, no doubt. As you noted, it has a '71 front clip (not only are the grilles different in '70 to '71 but so is the hood). The people who looked at it commented when I popped the hood on mine how my rad support and shroud was nicely solid and "didn't move like the other one we looked at". My barber offered that he noticed the front interior door panels were black but the ones in the rear were brown. As was noted, all of the bright trim on the exterior is missing, which is a big mistake often made on a '70 Supreme and just wrecks the looks. And the plethora of white zip ties used under the hood in their for sale ad make me want to run away screaming. I think they may well have spent a lot of money getting it to where it is now but they did a lot of dumb things and are likely way upside-down on it. It may be a $10K car despite being a convertible because of all the obvious needs and questionable work that needs undoing.

I always liked the looks of the 1970 Cutlass. I'd still like to have a Rallye 350:

Or a Cutlass SX 455:

Oldsmobile always seemed to have the best handling musclecars- their cars were usually fitted with rear anti-roll bars and their spring and damper tuning was more sophisticated than that of the suspensions of their GM stablemates.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I like the fastback styling on that coupe. Still looks good today. But somewhere around that time as I recall, the squared off, formal roofline of the Cutlass Supreme seemed to become the most popular one in sales I believe.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    edited August 2016
    When I was a kid, I didn't like the upkick at the C-pillar on those Oldses, but it doesn't look bad to me now. Sda, do you know what ever happened to that 68 after you sold it?
    edited August 2016

I always liked the looks of the 1970 Cutlass. I'd still like to have a Rallye 350:

Or a Cutlass SX 455:

Oldsmobile always seemed to have the best handling musclecars- their cars were usually fitted with rear anti-roll bars and their spring and damper tuning was more sophisticated than that of the suspensions of their GM stablemates.

True, but that is only in the context of the times. Even a perfect one now would likely get out-handled by a Corolla unless you did a lot of aftermarket suspension and steering upgrades.

My best friend has a beautiful '71 SX that he has had since 1986. Another friend had a '70 SX I liked even better - stronger engine, nicer colors inside and out - that he eventually sold. A lot of people these days put OAI hoods on them, but those were pretty rare on a SX when new. They were much more of a sleeper. Same with the trunklid wing spoiler, which I hate on any Cutlass of this vintage.

Olds always sold more fastback bodies than notchbacks in the '70-'72 era. Remember, the fastback was available in the Cutlass, Cutlass S, and 4-4-2 line whereas the notchback was only on the Supreme, a more expensive car. The volume was in the lower-end models.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,700
    My folks had a '69, which was fun to drive with the 350, compared to my '65 Mustang's 170! I've always liked the looks of the notchback over that model's roof.
    Sda, do you know what ever happened to that 68 after you sold it?

It was always my grandmother's car. When she came to live with my parents in '86 she no longer drove it much. A fellow that worked with my mom, who was about my age at the time (30) had seen it and really liked it. Though it had been repainted about 5 years before, it still looked sharp, no rust anywhere, ever, and had 46000 mi, ran like new. He bought it and took it to somewhere in NY when he moved back and vowed it would never see snow or salt. This was around 1990-91.

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    ab348 said:

All good advice. I don't expect to hear from them for a while but if they hit my number then I think I will let it go.

Interestingly, today I went to get a haircut and was telling my barber the story. He said he thinks he knows the other car they were looking at, which they did not like nearly as much as mine, because it is at the house next to his. He was even able to describe them in some detail so it was definitely them. He pointed me at this ad:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/yarmouth/1970-cutlass-supreme-fully-rebuilt-from-frame-up/1188569663?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

A convertible but lots of bad or missing stuff there needing to be fixed and way overpriced given that. Might make my pristine original that much more appealing.

Excuse my chiming in late, but "Front wheel drive"?????

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

edited August 2016
    I can remember being a kid and seeing a new '70 or '71 (not sure now) Cutlass SX convertible at our Olds-Buick dealer in town (so small every single new car he had was kept inside at all times, LOL). I had thought the SX was limited to the convertible, but I'm apparently wrong, from the pic above a few posts. Even at that age of 12 or so, I remember thinking, "That sounds like sex", LOL!
    The SX convertible is, not surprisingly, quite rare. The SX model was only made in 1970 and 1971 and was not well-marketed. It was essentially a 4-4-2 engine and chassis under the notchback Supreme hardtop body and trimmed inside like a Supreme as well. But in '70 they started it out with a 2-barrel carb on the 455, which was changed mid-year to the 4-barrel version. The '71 sold less well than the '70 and it was discontinued at the end of the model year.

bhill2 said:

Excuse my chiming in late, but "Front wheel drive"?????

More of a commentary on the person placing the ad I suspect.

For those of you in FL, my grandmother's '68 Cutlass was ordered thru and purchased at Bert Smith Olds, in St Petersburg, FL. She bought her '62 Dynamic 88 and my parents' bought their '63 Dynamic 88 at the same dealership. Last I saw Bert Smith is still in business but selling a different brand.

sda said:

For those of you in FL, my grandmother's '68 Cutlass was ordered thru and purchased at Bert Smith Olds, in St Petersburg, FL. She bought her '62 Dynamic 88 and my parents' bought their '63 Dynamic 88 at the same dealership. Last I saw Bert Smith is still in business but selling a different brand.

My best friend's '71 SX came from Bert Smith Olds also. He bought it there in 1986 from the estate of his late F-I-L who had a winter place in St. Petersburg. He has the old dealership license plate on the front.

Was the 62 also a 2 door HT? The Starfire that year with its unique side trim always has caught my eye.

I wonder if that 68 is still around, and what it looks like today. Some cars in our histories come and go without notice, but others are worth wondering about. I would still like to know what became of the 60 Ford wagon my dad had in the 90s.
    sda said:

edited August 2016
    fintail said:

Was the 62 also a 2 door HT? The Starfire that year with its unique side trim always has caught my eye.

I wonder if that 68 is still around, and what it looks like today. Some cars in our histories come and go without notice, but others are worth wondering about. I would still like to know what became of the 60 Ford wagon my dad had in the 90s.

sda said:

I've wondered the same. I am also a fan of the Starfire, a neat car. The speedometer on the '62 Olds (and I believe the '59-61 were similar) was unique and fun to watch. It was a ribbon style speedometer, which was horizontal and not vertical, like fintail. As it passed thru 30-35 it would change from green to an orange color. Around 60-65 it would change to an arresting red. It was neat in the way that it changed colors, fluid like. Search U tube for a '59 Olds and there is a neat video.

My grandmother's Dynamic 88 was a 4 door sedan. It was a metallic goldish color that didn't hold up and was dull when she traded it in '68. It did have tinted glass, am radio, PS, PB and factory A/C.

My grandmother was a widow and my great grandmother lived with her for a while. When my grandmother took delivery of her '68 Cutlass, her mom was disgusted. She asked why she didn't get red? How else to attract a man?

I didn't know that about those Olds speedometers, I will take a look for that. Funny about the red car, too - I don't know how many men in 1968 would be attracted by a red Oldsmobile Cutlass :)

Saw something red and kind of rare on the road this afternoon - a Ferrari Enzo. Courageous.
    The Bresnans up the street from us had a '62 Dynamic 88 4-door sedan, light green. I remember the colors changing as the speedometer speed increased. Cool.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,672

The Bresnans up the street from us had a '62 Dynamic 88 4-door sedan, light green. I remember the colors changing as the speedometer speed increased. Cool.

The '57-59 DeSotos had one of those drum/ribbon speedometers. I think the '59 would change colors as the speed increased, but on my '57, it was red all the way to 130 mph.
    edited August 2016
    This is the video on U-tube that shows how the speedometer works in the Olds. It is brief, around the 2 minute mark. Enjoyable video as a whole.

Watch John Mayer show off his restored 1959 Oldsmobile Dynamic Eighty Eight 'Scenicoupe'.
    Read the full story here: www.dailyherald.com/article/20110905/entlife/709059969/

edited August 2016
    Saw one of these for the first time. It's called an "Earth Roamer" --seems to be Ford diesel powered. Photo is distorted--it's not THAT big. Obviously a Survivalist toy.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    Looks pretty neat, but is just a TinkerToy compared to the German rigs I saw here in Fairbanks this morning! Each of the three were at different shops around town (same area), but I'm certain they were traveling together. Those rigs were downright jaw-dropping (perhaps why I didn't even think to snap photos of them).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Bah, a mere toy compared to these:

Yeah but those seems to be french poodle show trucks. The Earth Roamer is supposed to be a serious and ultra tough offroad vehicle. Hmmm....we need a Top Gear face-off of Zombie Apocalypse Trucks to get to the bottom of this.
  • js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    Pic of the new ride. Guess I'm back to obsessing again over keeping a black car looking clean, especially since it will be parked outside at college and I'll only see it every few months. Every few cars, I'll gravitate back to a black one again. The old one is a nice metallic red so time for a different shade, especially since it's the same model and even though redesigned this year, still looks very similar to the outgoing model. I think it looks really good in black. 

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,554
    Nice!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Yeah but those seems to be french poodle show trucks. The Earth Roamer is supposed to be a serious and ultra tough offroad vehicle. Hmmm....we need a Top Gear face-off of Zombie Apocalypse Trucks to get to the bottom of this.

This beats them all:

da.jpg 57.5K

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Actually saw this last year, but I'll be seeing it again next week ;)

SOMEONE will figure it out

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,672

Saw one of these for the first time. It's called an "Earth Roamer" --seems to be Ford diesel powered. Photo is distorted--it's not THAT big. Obviously a Survivalist toy.

I always thought those class-C mini-motorhomes based off of pickup trucks, rather than van cabs, were pretty cool. They were always less common, most likely because a van front clip is shorter than a pickup front clip, plus it's easier to move from the cab to the living quarters in a van. But, I thought the pickups had better proportioning.

Seems like this generation was somewhat common...

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,488
    My experience with a car at college, it will be filthy when you see it. And don't obsess about dings and scratches. A PDL guy on retainer is not a bad idea either!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896
    stickguy said:

My experience with a car at college, it will be filthy when you see it. And don't obsess about dings and scratches. A PDL guy on retainer is not a bad idea either!

That's why our daughter got an ION for college - no door dings with the plastic panels.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

PF_Flyer said:

No ground clearance on that thing, better not take it off the blacktop!

Speaking of RVs, an acquaintance was making fun of a local news story here where a couple visiting an area of the province discovered that the two propane refilling stations on their guide were both out of service, causing them untold grief since they were in a RV that was powered by LP gas. He claimed that their vehicle would HAVE to be dual-fuel. I countered that wasn't always the case, and he then went into full Cliff Claven mode about how I was wrong. That LP-only style isn't unheard of, is it?

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    ab348 said:

PF_Flyer said:

No ground clearance on that thing, better not take it off the blacktop!

Oh, this thing definitely is an "off road" beast. heh
    I think the idea of the "Earth Roamer" is that it is actually totally practical and civilized. Based on a Ford 550 chassis I think.
    If I can channel Cliff for a moment, it always strikes me as odd when people buy these rigs to go camping and enjoy the great outdoors, and then sit inside an aluminum box watching TV at a KOA subdivision.

Can't complain too much as it keeps them out of the real woods.
    stever said:

If I can channel Cliff for a moment, it always strikes me as odd when people buy these rigs to go camping and enjoy the great outdoors, and then sit inside an aluminum box watching TV at a KOA subdivision.

Can't complain too much as it keeps them out of the real woods.

Even more odd are those that drop $500K on a diesel pusher rig to then park it in a Walmart lot.

edited August 2016
    Speaking of pickups converted into small motorhomes, the car ones (usually a Cadillac) are always amusing:

Oh, and an Olds:

And a Buick:

Mercury:

Chrysler too:

And on the RV theme, my brother really wanted this thing, it's memorable

Oh lordy, my wife saw the first Caddy one and said "fun!".

I cut her off before she could see the rest of the collection.
    Now we're starting to get into those "redneck" funnies :p

JS - what year is the Bonneville in your garage. I remember that green was very popular on them back in the day.