Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW TDI Settlement - buying a TDI now

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,068
    edited August 2016
    mjfloyd1 said:

I'm starting to wonder if the buyback is more than the calculations. The latest link says value as of sept 18, 2015 and a minimum addition of $2550 (plus mileage adjustments I assume). Am I reading it wrong kyfdx?

The buyback amount on the calculator includes full restitution, in addition to the NADA value on 09/18/2015.
    Subtract half of the restitution adjustment and you have the buyback number for those who bought vehicles after that date.

https://agrahamg.github.io/VWBuybackCalculator/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,276
    edited August 2016
    That's the calculator that I used but when you look at the link that you posted, it says value as of 9/18/15 plus 10% plus 1493ish plus proportional share of restitution (with a minimum amount added of $2550)

I'm looking at page 9 of the link
    mjfloyd1 said:

That's the calculator that I used but when you look at the link that you posted, it says value as of 9/18/15 plus 10% plus 1493ish plus proportional share of restitution (with a minimum amount added of $2550)

"Sell your car back to VW. The total amount includes both the September 2015 Clean Trade Vehicle Value, plus a cash payment."

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

mjfloyd1 said:

http://madisonautopro.com/2013-Volkswagen-Passat/Used-Car/Madison-IN/7562105/Details.aspx

Some money to be made on this one. Sadly, my wife won't let me get more than one. She thinks our driveway would look like a used car lot...

That one is only 90 minutes from me!
    That one is less than 2 hrs from me and would also be in my driveway if I had wife approval ...
    You can go to the court website and do the calculations yourself. It's pretty clear.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited August 2016
    Court website is down... Hope (for more money) floats...

Site just came back up so I'll check it out

Oops I meant VW buyback site was down... Now up
    Sadly, the calculator is right. Scheduled for buyback around November for $23630
    Now I'm wondering if VW will provide a form 1099 with the payment making the profit taxable? If so, keep all your paperwork to subtract out all your costs from the VW buyback so you will only pay tax on the profit...
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,391
    mjfloyd1 said:

Now I'm wondering if VW will provide a form 1099 with the payment making the profit taxable? If so, keep all your paperwork to subtract out all your costs from the VW buyback so you will only pay tax on the profit...

Sitting on my desk and waiting to be scanned. Not looking forward to that but what can you do?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    Do legal settlements usually get taxed?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I just did a quick bit of reading. I would say the extra compensation could be punitive damages and therefore taxable. In many of our cases, that is only about $3k. Still...good to keep in mind.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Not a tax expert, but I've never received a 1099 from selling a vehicle, and I will guess you won't get one on this transaction, either.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Who is close enough to Vermont for a $6K spread?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/664729628/overview/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited August 2016
    Looks like it's taxable as personal income. It looks like only personal injury settlements are not taxable.

My wife is a CPA and she questioned it...
    I assume that only the restitution will be taxable. This may get complicated since I traded?
    edited August 2016
    kyfdx said:

Not a tax expert, but I've never received a 1099 from selling a vehicle, and I will guess you won't get one on this transaction, either.

This is a bit different. We are getting checks from VW. Part is for the value of the car and part is the restitution (aka cheating penalty - the car equivalent of doping at Rio)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Well, the A3 is home. I've nicknamed him Puffer, for obvious reasons. Averaged 41 MPG on the drive home from the dealer. Damn impressive.

A photo from the street.

Lawn needs watering B)
    Not my lawn :smile:
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    CARB didn't like the fix for the 3.0L models. Anyone think VW will get stuck buying them back, too? I'd replace the Murano with something like this in a heartbeat if I knew they would buy it back in two years for the same or more than I paid for it.
    mjfloyd1 said:

Looks like it's taxable as personal income. It looks like only personal injury settlements are not taxable.

My wife is a CPA and she questioned it...

If you aren't in the business, anything you buy and then sell for a profit would be taxable as income or capital gains. Unfortunately, you can't claim losses, as well.

But, no one is tracking purchases and sales of personal vehicles. They could, but they aren't.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,427
    kyfdx said:

Who is close enough to Vermont for a $6K spread?

@sb55 - is this close to you?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited August 2016
    We will see. I've never done this before and with it being an EPA issue and restitution payments... But I hope that you are right.

Either way I bet my wife will declare it on my taxes. Doesn't want to risk her CPA license.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Mjfloyd1, understand that well as I also married a CPA and she's super honest. She always did a lot of my old co-workers taxes but I was upfront with them all and said she was very honest and didn't play games with figures. They all got my meaning and she never had an issue. Does make life a lot easier having a CPA in the house!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

corvette said:

CARB didn't like the fix for the 3.0L models. Anyone think VW will get stuck buying them back, too? I'd replace the Murano with something like this in a heartbeat if I knew they would buy it back in two years for the same or more than I paid for it.

My Dad was thinking about that same exact car but felt it was overpriced for the market. And because he would have to pay to transfer it to Philly.

I'd like to replace wife's escape with a Q5 TDI. The buyback would be a bonus.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    The more I drive this TDI, the more I like it. If I'm going to keep it until late 2018, I will need new tires. So I just posted an ad on Craigslist, see if someone wants to sell / trade me a newer set of tires.

http://houston.craigslist.org/wan/5733767632.html

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    If the lawsuit was based on unpaid wages it sure does get taxed like wages. I won some money as part of a class action settlement, and it was not the usual 2 figures, it was actually 4 figures. Best 10 minutes I ever spent filling out the postcard to join the class action settlement! Highest paid 10 minutes of my life.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/judge-lets-vw-test-program-192520755.html

Judge lets VW test program to scrap cheating diesel vehicles

DETROIT (AP) -- A federal judge is letting Volkswagen study the feasibility of scrapping 2-liter diesel cars that cheat on emissions tests.

Judge Charles Breyer in San Francisco signed an order Friday authorizing a test program involving 20 cars now owned by VW or its finance company.

Breyer wrote that VW wants the tests so it can understand the process of scrapping the cars and salvaging parts.
    I have the impression that this would only be for the older models, that newer models with DEF are going to get a fix. But that is only my impression, based on a lot of reading, mostly speculative.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    My WAG is that if there is a reasonable fix (likely primarily software), VW will do it to the buy backs, and try to resell those cars someplace, since they will then be legal. Makes sense.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    henryn said:
    The more I drive this TDI, the more I like it. If I'm going to keep it until late 2018, I will need new tires. So I just posted an ad on Craigslist, see if someone wants to sell / trade me a newer set of tires. http://houston.craigslist.org/wan/5733767632.html
    I'm actually at the tire shop now getting new tires on the wagon.  Hate to put the money into it, but it really needs them.  Going with the cheapest all seasons they have - so not much worse, if at all, then what I saw on Craigslist.  $66/tire.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

edited August 2016
    Most of the speculation that I have read centers on the presence or absence of the DEF system. Newer cars, which already have DEF, will probably be "fixable". Those older models which came without DEF are unlikely to be "fixable".

And speaking of Diesel Exhaust Fluid, I purchased a 2.5 gallon jug from Walmart last night for about $8. Now to figure out how to get it into the tank without spilling any in the nice clean trunk.
    I'm out of loop. I thought that cars with the spray system were legal already? And only the ones without were cheating? Even worse if so, since I thought the whole reason for the cheat code was to avoid the DEF.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    stickguy said:

I'm out of loop. I thought that cars with the spray system were legal already? And only the ones without were cheating? Even worse if so, since I thought the whole reason for the cheat code was to avoid the DEF.

2015 models actually have DEF and are included in the scandal. The problem is the software cares more about economizing the use of DEF so that it can go 10,000 miles in between services so that you can do it at the same time as an oil change, than it cares about emissions and pollution.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,427
    edited August 2016
    qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

This one is too close to me not to check out

http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=421263991&zip=06902&endYear=2017&pageLayout=list&fuelTypeGroup=DSL&sortBy=distanceASC&startYear=1981&listingTypes=used&searchRadius=200&mmt=[VOLKS[PASS[]][]]

2012 Passat TDI SE - 30,299 miles
    $15,888 asking price + $1,008.88 sales tax = $16,896.88
    Buyback $23,687 - $3218.5 restitution = $20,468.5

$3,571.62 "profit"

What's the Mannheim on this one @qbrozen?

No comps with those miles but my best guess is $14k since examples with 55k-60k are in the mid $11s.

What do you think of this @qbrozen? Seem like way too few miles for a 2012? Why buy a TDI in the 1st place? I should go take a look at it, right?

*Edit* I just saw they had a link to the CARFAX. Dealer serviced. Open Takata Airbag Recall & they've had it since February.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Audi A3, VW Golf, Jetta, and Sportwagen, from 2009 to 2014 did not use DEF. They only went to DEF in 2015. The Passat, on the other hand, started using DEF in 2012.

nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=421263991&zip=06902&endYear=2017&pageLayout=list&fuelTypeGroup=DSL&sortBy=distanceASC&startYear=1981&listingTypes=used&searchRadius=200&mmt=[VOLKS[PASS[]][]]

$3,571.62 "profit"

No comps with those miles but my best guess is $14k since examples with 55k-60k are in the mid $11s.
    What do you think of this @qbrozen? Seem like way too few miles for a 2012? Why buy a TDI in the 1st place? I should go take a look at it, right?

Eh. $3500 profit doesn't seem like much. Guess it depends how long you'll keep it.

@nyccarguy Almost every example has an open recall for the airbags.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited August 2016
    qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

$3,571.62 "profit"

Eh. $3500 profit doesn't seem like much. Guess it depends how long you'll keep it.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= end quote -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

My, aren't we jaded. B)

I would say it depends on how much trouble you have to go to. Is it close to you? Is it in good shape, do you think you can drive it for 3 months with no expense? (Tires, oil change, ....)

Speaking of expense, I got home today and poured that 2.5 gallons of DEF into the Passat. Which did not fill it. And there is no dipstick, no way to tell. So being OCD, I went about 4 blocks to O'Reillys and bought another 2.5 gallons. This jug cost me $15, compared to the $8 last night at Walmart. And wouldn't you know it, only about one quart more was needed!

Anyone close by need some DEF? I understand this stuff doesn't store well, so I'll give it away.
    interesting about the DEF models. those at least, seem like an easier fix (software code), especially if the only real functional change is having to get it refilled more often!

henryn said:
    nyccarguy said:
    This one is too close to me not to check out http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=421263991&zip=06902&endYear=2017&pageLayout=list&fuelTypeGroup=DSL&sortBy=distanceASC&startYear=1981&listingTypes=used&searchRadius=200&mmt=[VOLKS[PASS[]][]] 2012 Passat TDI SE - 30,299 miles $15,888 asking price + $1,008.88 sales tax = $16,896.88 Buyback $23,687 - $3218.5 restitution = $20,468.5 $3,571.62 "profit" What's the Mannheim on this one @qbrozen?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= end quote -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= My, aren't we jaded. B) I would say it depends on how much trouble you have to go to. Is it close to you? Is it in good shape, do you think you can drive it for 3 months with no expense? (Tires, oil change, ....) Speaking of expense, I got home today and poured that 2.5 gallons of DEF into the Passat. Which did not fill it. And there is no dipstick, no way to tell. So being OCD, I went about 4 blocks to O'Reillys and bought another 2.5 gallons. This jug cost me $15, compared to the $8 last night at Walmart. And wouldn't you know it, only about one quart more was needed! Anyone close by need some DEF? I understand this stuff doesn't store well, so I'll give it away.
    Well, think about it. Insurance, repairs, maintenance, and even interest if financing. Sure, its still good if you need a car right now. Maybe not so great if you are doing it purely for the money.

i'm doing a bit of double dipping. Using the vw for my work travel for which I get reimbursed on the mileage...on a car I am essentially driving for free.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    Isn't there a warning that comes on when the DEF is low?
    corvette said:

Theoretically, it warns you when you have approximately 1,500 more miles before running out of DEF. But the reports I have read indicate this is rather iffy, the amount of DEF consumed varies widely. And when you are out, you get 20 more starts and then the car will not start. At all.

I am thinking seriously of keeping this car until late 2018, or at least longer than 3 months. My romances usually last 12 to 24 months, so sometime in 2018 would probably work like a charm for me.

And, based on that thinking, I wanted to know how much trouble adding DEF really was. And the answer is "not much". Apparently, if you buy the 1/2 gallon bottle from the dealer, you won't spill any. If you buy the 2.5 gallon jug, then you are going to spill a little when it gets full. But if you're paying attention, it's only about 2 or 3 ounces (a quarter cup). And there is (in this Passat) a little plastic tray surrounding the filler neck, so you just wipe up the spill with a rag, and you're done.
    the filler is in the trunk? Sounds pretty simple. Even for the typical spoiled driver today, that has no clue how to open the hood.

henryn said:

corvette said:

Theoretically, it warns you when you have approximately 1,500 more miles before running out of DEF. But the reports I have read indicate this is rather iffy, the amount of DEF consumed varies widely. And when you are out, you get 20 more starts and then the car will not start. At all.

I am thinking seriously of keeping this car until late 2018, or at least longer than 3 months. My romances usually last 12 to 24 months, so sometime in 2018 would probably work like a charm for me.

And, based on that thinking, I wanted to know how much trouble adding DEF really was. And the answer is "not much". Apparently, if you buy the 1/2 gallon bottle from the dealer, you won't spill any. If you buy the 2.5 gallon jug, then you are going to spill a little when it gets full. But if you're paying attention, it's only about 2 or 3 ounces (a quarter cup). And there is (in this Passat) a little plastic tray surrounding the filler neck, so you just wipe up the spill with a rag, and you're done.
    My blue def light came on yesterday saying that I had 800 mile range of blue def left. I took it in today for the free VW carefree maintenance 30k service. They did a oil and filter change, brake fluid flush, tire rotation and "topped off all serviceable fluids". I assume that they filled the blue def as the warning was off. Apparently you can check the % fill by VCDS/ VAGCOM/ Ross Tech. I'll try looking at that. Hopefully they filled the blue def and didn't just reset the monitor...
    I notice that the 155K mile A3 in Columbus is already gone from the listings. Took about a week.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,246
    kyfdx said:

I notice that the 155K mile A3 in Columbus is already gone from the listings. Took about a week.

And the one in Vermont?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

And the one in Vermont?
    Still there..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

And the one in Vermont?
    Still there..

Only 1955 miles, and the most direct route home takes me through Montreal.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

And the one in Vermont?
    Still there..

Only 1955 miles, and the most direct route home takes me through Montreal.
    Is that an Audi dealer? Does that disqualify the A3?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

mjfloyd1 said:

henryn said:

corvette said:

My blue def light came on yesterday saying that I had 800 mile range of blue def left. I took it in today for the free VW carefree maintenance 30k service. They did a oil and filter change, brake fluid flush, tire rotation and "topped off all serviceable fluids". I assume that they filled the blue def as the warning was off. Apparently you can check the % fill by VCDS/ VAGCOM/ Ross Tech. I'll try looking at that. Hopefully they filled the blue def and didn't just reset the monitor...
    From what I have read, the reading on the VCDS for DEF is not reliable at all. Apparently it only shows about 1/3 of the capacity. That is, if it is 1/3 full, it shows 100%. If it says 50%, then you have 50% of the bottom 1/3 of the tank. And you have to pay about $300 to buy a VCDS in order to get this not so accurate information. You would think they could have included a dipstick for crying out loud.

But then, we live in an era when many automatic transmissions have no dipstick. Go figure.

so if you have one, just remember to add some every 5K miles, just to be safe?