Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cathy2cathy2 Member Posts: 8
    OK, a little more research shows there WAS a recall on this, apparently last April. VW is not good @ sending recall letters (I never got one), and the dealership I called yesterday said there was NOT a recall when I asked about this.
    Lessons learned.....
    There is info on the NTSB web site (clearly NOT on VW website) for those interested.
    Am I correct in assuming a brake switch and brake light switch are the same thing??
    I don't think I can get rid of this car fast enough.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Getting rid of it...you may be jumping gun. I usually find other than buying a new car, selling one is the worst financial decision you can make (unless you're spending more repairing it than paying for a new car!!)

I think most VW warranty repairs are for 12K miles and 1 year. I had a thermostat switch go on a 97 A4 and it failed again a year later. I had gone 18K so they told me too bad.

I think there are various web site where you can 'sign up' and get informed of recalls for your vehicle...and reminders to do regular maintenance.

Maybe try shop around for another VW dealer to get your work done (if you like dealers to perform your maintenance).
  • juanfjuanf Member Posts: 2
    Hello All, I have a 99 GLS Jetta, and yesterday I was informed that the AC compressor is not working and tehrefore I do not hace AC. I would like to know two things:
    1) How much is to reapir the AC compressor
    2) Do you think that there is any relation between having my serpentine belt cracked and this problem with the AC compressor? Or what could have caused the damage to the AC compressor?
    Thank you for your help. I bought this car three months ago and I have already spent about $1,000 in repairs.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Did the car not come with a used car warranty? Most caome with at least a 30 day warranty.
  • juanfjuanf Member Posts: 2
    Nope. I bought it from a friend, and He is gone. I just received a quote from the dealr and the compressor is $680!! + $370 of labor. Un believable, Could anyone tell me what couls happen if I dont change the compressor? (besides being warm all day)

Thanks,
  • hatemy99jettahatemy99jetta Member Posts: 3
    71,000 miles. Bought July 1999.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    A lot of folks with an "older car" choose to not fix the AC when in craps out. Have you asked any other fix-it shops what they would charge? Perhaps the problem is NOT the compressor.

It is really your personal choice...what is it worth to you to have AC?

BTW the AC compressor at http://www.impexfap.com/partlist.cfm?getpart=8987&subcategory- - =72#part8987 is $375
  • yupoldbullyupoldbull Member Posts: 28
    We have had numerous non-engine problems with this vehicle, but the largest problem is the engine oil consumption. It burns 1/2 quart per 1,000 miles (since new).

It has had "deglazed" cylinder walls and new rings installed and it still burns oil at the same rate.
  • damn_jettadamn_jetta Member Posts: 1
    I can relate with some of the jetta problems that have been posted...especially to those with headlight problems. But here's my new problem:
        Last night I had to drive home from a friend's house without any headlights. I turned the switch to turn them on, and only my park lights would come on. Also, the indicator light saying my bright lights are on wouldn't go off...even though they weren't on at all. I couldn't get it to go off.
    I'm wondering if this is a fuse. I plan on taking it to the dealership on monday, but until then I'm hoping to get a simple solution. Can someone help?
  • mrjettemrjette Member Posts: 122
    I posted In TDI forum (Fuses #1293) about fuse #14 blowing in my '02 Jette GLS TDI. It controls the locks, interior lights, power windows, trunk motor, and supposedly the heated seats and mirrors and wiper nozzles (I don't really need those items in August). First, the dealer replaced the Comfort Control Module. It worked OK for 24 hours, then blew again. Next, they applied a wiring harness overlay under the driver's seat. This time, I got 3 days out of it and it has all blown again.

Any ideas on the best way to solve the problem? I am discouraged that I will be back for a third trip (actually the 5th warranty issue since August 3rd - 1 wheel bearing replaced; 1 set of rear brakes overhauled, 3rd trip on the electrical gremlin).
  • crazyabtjettacrazyabtjetta Member Posts: 1
    Hello - I own a 2003 Jetta GLS. It currently has abt 14,500 miles on it and I have regularly serviced it. I have noticed lately that the car jerks while driving, when I accelerate. This happens only until the engine heats up to normal temperatures. The car jerks when the gear shifts to a higher one, like going from a speed of 10 to 30 and so on. It seems like there is a problem in the fuel injection flow or something. I haven't taken it to a dealer yet. Just want to know if someone else has also experienced this problem and what the possible resolutions can be. Thanks.
  • katiekatie Member Posts: 2
    Ijustread your message regarding the wheel bearing. Did that make a sound when it was going?I have 2002 Jetta and I started having a screehing sound coming from the rear of my car. I'm just driving, not applying brakes.
    Mine made more of a grumble or growl. It was a front wheel bearing, and it seemed to change with speed. At first, I thought I had a hole in the exhaust system! Your problem sounds more like the brakes are stuck (a problem I also had but there was not a sound associated with it).

Good luck.
  • greamergreamer Member Posts: 8
    Just purchased a new 2004 GLS Jetta. After 10 miles MIL went on; dealer replaced ignition coil pack. On way home from dealer, turned on AC for first time. AC not working. Dealer has car for two days and is replacing compressor. Suspect headlights are not functioning right. Headlights seem to be almost same brightness as the daytime running lights. On my sister's Jetta (2002) there is a substantial difference. Does anyone know if VW has made changes in this area. What is the power ratio between DRL and regular low beam. Usually it is about 30 per cent.

XX
  • greamergreamer Member Posts: 8
    Back from dealer, and I have to say I am very impressed with dealer service quality. They couldn't have been more accomodative. Everything is working well, now. Asked about the difference in power for daytime running lights and regular low beam, and service person said that they are almost as bright -- very little difference. On 2002 Jetta, I found greater difference which prompted my question. Am looking forward to next four years of VW ownership at which time I will evaluate lease. This will probably be influenced by what new technology will make an appearance in next four years in VW product. If there is enough new technology, I may not keep this car.

xx
  • riverskaterriverskater Member Posts: 8
    2 Door 4 Cylinder 32, 000 miles. This light has come one. Can someone explain what the difference is between this and a check engine light, and is it serious, or one of the lights, as I have read, that has a mind of it's own. No problems with car at all except that. Is is safe to drive.
    The manuel does not offer much guidance. Does anybody know what this indicator light really means, and how important is the indicator.
    Thanks.
  • galogvigalogvi Member Posts: 41
    MIL is the same as the check engine light. This can come on for things as simple as not tightening your gas cap enough.

Did it come on shortly after a recent fill-up? If so, make sure that you give your gas cap at least 3 clicks when securing it. The light will eventually shut off if this is the cause.
    Yes, there had not been a need to open the gas gauge for over a month. I will try that. Thank you very much.
    I went outside and readjusted the gas cap. Turned the car on, and the light was still on. COuld this be a matter of just driving it a few miles . Had the car for 3000 miles, no problems, but I read that there were problems with lights, so I did no freak out too much. And for what it's worth, I am in the Texas heat.
    D
    I think the manual says that the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) may stay on for up to 3 or 4 start/stop operations (after the gas cap is tightened). I always turn the cap until it clicks a few times, and have not had this problem. My MIL came on right after I left the dealer with it (brand new with all of a hundred miles or so). Turned out to be some sensor that was replaced under warranty. My dealer has a pamplet about the MIL. Look around the service waiting area for this little booklet.
    Thanks again. I look thru the book, what I seemed a reasonable amount of time (1 Hour!), and you saved me a trip to the mechanic.
    Thanks. Hope to run across your advice again.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I think the sensor you're referring to is the O2 sensor.

We had the same problem with our 99 A6. My wife just tightened the gas cap, but did not click it(should be 3 times).

They replaced the O2 sensor; which I didn't think they needed to, but it was warranty work...
  • jetta96jetta96 Member Posts: 1
    Could somebody please help me how to locate the alarm on my vw jetta 96gls?
    Just the other day I was opening and closing my power mirrors and when I was about to start my car my car wouldn't start and my allarm went off for 4-5 minutes.Now I am afraid to open the door afraid it my trigger the alarm again...
    Why is this happenning and what can I do to prevent it? Would disconnecting the alarm fix the problem and how can I do it?
    Thanks,immensely.
    I did all the following, an have least started the car about 15 times, the light is still on.
    But have not put more than about 15 miles on it.
    Do you have any more suggestions.
    Thank you.
    D
    Thank you for your input. I have tried the clicking etc...for about a week. The light is not going off. I bought the car from an private party, at 31,000 miles, and I have only put about 2000 on it in 4 months. So, I do not think the warranty would apply. When you said it was replaced, was it a warranty, as in recall, or your own warranty. You also mention, I don't think they needed to. Do you think it was just a malfunctioning light, and did the dealer tell you this was a commom problem. Thank you.
    GOod luck.
    D
    I have had help with many nice and kind people on this site. My 2000 VW has 31000 miles on it, and the MLS light just came on about a week ago.
    I was told to adjust the gas cap, etc...
    I am planning on taking a 500 mile trip, and wonder if anybody can recommend, or suggest what to do, to check and make sure it is the ox. sensor, and what damage may occur, if any, if I drive it. Time is a key element. Other than this, and I am the second owner, I have loved the car, but knew going into this, that there were problems. I do not want to take it to a VW dealer, and the odd thing is I passed inspection, a week before the light came on.
    Thanks to all that like and dislike the VW Beetle.
    Try having a BMW for 20 years. LOL.
    D
    I just checked my paperwork. When my MIL went on with 250 miles on the new car, the dealer replaced the EGR valve (which had seized, according to the work order). You may want to see if there is a local mechanic who specializes in VW, but is not a dealer. We have a local places that everyone raves about called Northern European Auto (they do VW, Porche, Audi and BMW work).

Good luck.
  • dme_angel25dme_angel25 Member Posts: 8
    I just was wondering if anyone has had any problems with their 2004 jetta?? Thanks!!

Danielle
  • sandbarsandbar Member Posts: 3
    2002 Jetta Wagon Multi-Function Light problems -
    the light started coming-on at 20K. Since that time I have had the Jetta service repeatedly for the same problem. In that time, the following parts have been replaced:
    1st visit - manifold pressure malfunction -replaced map sensor; 2nd service - replaced faulty fuel pump; 3rd service - replaced Venturi valve; 4th service - replaced N75 valve; 5th service - replaced boost solenoid; 6th service - replaced N49 valve. I have just now scheduled another service appointment(7th) - YES, that pesky light is on again. And, from the get-go the Jetta seems to cough/hiccup when idling. In spite of the problem, the car continues to drive okay. Over the years I have owned 5 different models of VW's, and was very pleased. Now, I'll be investigating the Lemon Law.
  • 99jetta199jetta1 Member Posts: 1
    If you find out an answer to this question please let me know. My 99.5 Jetta has the same problem and it's been in the service department a couple times and they keep telling me they can't find anything wrong with it. I beg to differ, especially when the vehicle snaps my neck back when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd!!!! It has 86000 miles on it so I have 14000 to go before the warranty runs out....
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I would guess because of your vehicles age and mileage, the Lemon Law would not be an option.
  • bigwoopbigwoop Member Posts: 1
    Had the exact same problem at around 75,000 miles and no one could figure it out. finally took it to the dealer and they replaced the transmission under warranty (good till 100k if you are the original owner) & it's good as new. HOWEVER, I've been plagued with the MIL indicator "Emissions Workshop!" light - have already replaced the mass flow sensor, front O2 and coolant temperature sensor at a total cost of more than $500. I think this is a HUGE scam. While I still enjoy driving the car, I don't think I'll buy another VW until they can get parts that shops other than the dealer can replace.
  • jeniponyjenipony Member Posts: 3
    Wanted to let everyone know, a couple of months ago I asked about losing power regardless of what gear or speed I was going. After 2 (count 'em 2!!) weeks of renting a car, and my guys going through all the diagnostics, talking to everyone including VW, going on the internet and into chat rooms. They finally looked at the exhaust system and found carbonization in the pollution control system, to the point of having only a dime-sized hole in a 2-2 1/2 inch hose. It was starving to death. Taking out the carbon solved the problem.

Now, I am left with a hefty bill for all those hours trying to find out what is wrong, a really hefty rental car bill, and the feeling that once again there was a problem with my car and VW had no clue. The last time this happened, my glow plug light came on, I took it to the dealer, it cost me $66 for them to diagnose a tail light burned out? The glow plug light goes on in response to a tail light bulb being out? I argued the $66 but they wouldn't budge, so I walked out; they lost my business.

Thanks to every one who wrote suggestions about the loss of power. Although I truly love this car, love the mileage, the handling, etc. I don't have much to say about VW and their US mechanics/technicians. Would I purchase another? I am not sure..... jenifer in western PA
  • europeancarguyeuropeancarguy Member Posts: 1
    I am on my second Jetta, a 2003 Wolfsburg 1.8t. These are not like Japanese cars.....It is very important to do the rutine maintainance on time, and because they are built in Mexico expect some minor and easily repairable glitches. The overall fit, finish and build quality of these vehicles is far superior to any of the [non-permissible content removed]. If you do not rotate the tires every 5000 miles the tires will wear unevenly and if you do breaks at a dealer you'll get slaughtered!!! By Brembo parts and pay a local get up 50-60 bucks to throw them on. You can do a full break job for under 150 that a dealer will charge 400 for. If you lears the ways of the VW you'll love it!!!!
  • nsmuddnsmudd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 VW Jetta (1.9L turbodiesel engine) with about 80K miles on it and the check engine light has been coming on intermittently for about the past two weeks. It seems like the light will come on in the mornings when I get up and drive it to work. It will stay on when I drive to lunch but it will finally go off in the afternoon on my way home from work and be fine for the rest of the evening. The car never idles badly, loses power, or puts out any smoke and it seems to be running perfectly normal when the light comes on. I went by Autozone and they hooked up the handheld diagnostic tool which read "P1248 Manufacturer Control Fuel Air Metering." The Bentley VW repair book says that it is a "Injection Start Control Deviation." I am at a complete loss as to what could be wrong with the car. At about 45K miles the car started running terribly and the dealer replaced the fuel injection pump along with the control module (thank goodness the warranty covered it) - could this be something related to it? I like the car quite a bit but am really wondering if I should get rid of it before I run into major problems.
  • rlui1rlui1 Member Posts: 93
    Our 2002 Jetta 1.8T started fine this morning. My wife went to drop off our daughter at daycare and the care wouldn't start. AAA responded and said it was the battery. When the battery was going bad in my previous cars, it would crank longer and then start. Is the Jetta wired differently?
    There are several reasons that a battery can loose charge. None of which are related to a battery being "bad".

Before ASSUMING the battery is the culprit, Fully charge it and take into a respectable auto-parts store. They can test it for free.
    We took it to the dealer and they found the battery had a defective cell so replaced it under warranty. At the same time, they said there was a recall on the power windows and replaced the clips.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    out of curiousity, have you had all of your coils replaced on your 02 1.8T?
    Yes, the coils were replaced soon after receiving the recall letter.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    any problems since then coil-wise? asking because i might be going back to VW, and i am curious if i would be having coil issues again, or are they FINALLY fixed the right way.

thanks.
    I'm not sure if this is related to the coils but it idles roughly when in gear and the brake is applied on some mornings.
  • yelliegrrlyelliegrrl Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I am about to buy a used 2000 jetta gls (auto, 4cyl) with 36k. Can anyone tell me what issues I need to be aware of, what I need do in prevention, and what I may on the look out for...??? Anything to help me, I am brand new to all of this. Thank you so much!!
  • danieltttdanielttt Member Posts: 1
    I've had this occur on 2 different cars over the years. Prior to this, I always thought that a battery would normally give fair warning. Someone, who seemed knowledgeable, said the battery tended to develop salts which collected in the bottom; especially during warmer months. If the salt level touches the plates, it's instant shorting and battery death.
    the 2.0 L engine of that year may tend to consume some oil. This is not a big deal unless you do not check it regularly and allow it to get too low... where is may cause engine damage.

If you DO buy it, make sure you clean the 'snow screen' on the intake. This is one item that needs to be cleaned at least annually. (but most folks ignore it)

Another 'prevention' item is behind the front wheels. After removing several screws that hold the plastic wheelwheel in place, hose out the area that accumulates mud and other debris.
  • grasoolgrasool Member Posts: 2
    If vw jetta you are about to buy is 2.0 gas.You need to make sure all the recalls have been taken care of. faulty transmission will bogg down at the speed of 15,25,35 approx one or two of these speeds, beside normal shifting.brake pads, irregular wear,specially in pass/ right rear wheel.Recall for all four power windows regulator, valid for 7 year for all owner.Please,make sure that the origional has a good explanaion for low miles on the car.
  • grasoolgrasool Member Posts: 2
    Lemon law expires within two years of purchase in most states. I would strongly suggest it.I did it and it worth the time and effort.good luck.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • vintagecarvintagecar Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a used 2002 Jetta and I'm pretty happy with it so far. However, the person I bought it from did not treat the beige leather seats so well. I cleaned the seats with Lexol products but some of the dirt seems ground in. And the exposed leather on the seats and headrests has gone a shade or two darker with some cracks around the sides. Is this common? Any recommendations on further cleaning? Any recommendations for the sideboards?

Thanks!