Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Paint and Body

2»

Comments

• shrrannshrrann Member Posts: 12
    I am curious to know how soon after you bought your rav 4 did the paint start to chip. Also have you tried to contact Toyota about this problem. My paint started to chip off my 2009 car a few months after I bought it. Also have noticed it chips off when you wash it. Lately it seems like it is just peeling off. There has to be someone somewhere to help us. Toyota sure does not care.
  • shaddshadd Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2001 Rav4 and the paint is now peeling all over......anyone with information that could help us? Two different body shops say that the only way to solve it, because toyota used a bad clear coat, is to sand it completely down and then start over ......Help?
  • stew16stew16 Member Posts: 17
    Hello all Toyota owners especially Rav-4, I have a Rav-4 Limited 2009, 36,000 miles, that has began to have issues with the start/stop button, the car's dash board lights will light up sometimes and nothing happens when the start button is pushed, other times they will not light up. The car has to wait several minutes before it thinks about starting. I Have taken it back to the dealership and as usual they can not find a problem, guess they are standing firm that they don't have software issues-yeah right. This is the same button I'm supposed to press should the car began to accelerate. If the car won't start when its been sitting idle, will the emergency stop button work when its accelerating. I've had an error code show up but they said it doesn't apply, well if thats true why did it register. This Rav-4 is beginning to have this same problem on a more frequent basis. :lemon:
  • stew16stew16 Member Posts: 17
    Your paint will continue to do so and it will get worse, why should you or any of us who own these poorly painted vehicles have to take a loss on our vehicle due to poorly thinned paint, just so that toyota can be environmentally correct. Are you and other's aware of a new class action Lawsuit being filed in California for the same issues that we as Rav-4 owners are having, Lexus owners have filed a class action against toyota for chipped paint, and have retained a law-firm, go to google type in Lexus lawsuit regarding paint complaints against Toyota. :mad:
  • fitmissfitmiss Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2009 silver RAV4 Limited. There are many chips on the hood which have been there for a long time. Perhaps it is a paint and design issue. I would be interested in any class action suits. I also have a radio display problem which is well documented by others.
  • lstein3lstein3 Member Posts: 1
    I have been getting nowhere with Toyota corporate regarding the chipping of paint from the hood of my car. They refuse to acknowledge that either the seal was not put on properly or the paint job was not done correctly. I went to two dealerships,both claim its due to my driving on the highway and rocks are hitting my hood. I asked to see the service manager's car at Conicelli Toyota after he told me everyone's car has it, but he refused and said he does not do highway driving which is why it's not on his hood. Has anyone had any success with small claims court? My husband feels it does not fall under the Lemon Law. Help, I am so frustrated as I have noticed this problem getting worse over the course of the year. I purchased it last Sept. 2012.
  • rav4donnarav4donna Member Posts: 1

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this site, but is appears that a lot of RAV4 owners have been experiencing problems with their vehicle's paint job.

I have a 2000 RAV4 (yes, a 2000!). It still runs great and I still love it! Unfortunately, about a year or so ago, the clear coat started to bubble and peel. I currently have areas that peeled, exposing the dull primer, on my front hood (left and right sides), both front quarter panels and the roof. It's so embarrassing!

It looks like the quality of paint has gone way down on newer vehicles.

To "shadd" who posted April 2011 - did you ever get your problem resolved?

• 4asmyle4asmyle Member Posts: 2

I would like to know if anyone has sent a complaint letter to Toyota Canada Inc. in regards to paint peeling on their Rav4. I am gathering info in regards to my 2009 Rav4, that the paint is peeling on and any others. Preferably years 2007 - 2014.

• wlingwling Member Posts: 1

Just washed my 2014 XLE RAV4 (less than 3 month old) and found bean-size chips on the hood.

• blast060blast060 Member Posts: 1
    Just had my 2010 Rav4 windshield replaced...when it can time to remove the blue auto painter's tape, the whit paint peeled off...

photo DSC_2785_zpsffwrhupr.jpg

photo DSC_2784_zpskeviuswm.jpg
  • rav4_reallyrav4_really Member Posts: 1
    I just called Toyota Customer service because I have a 2012 white RAV4 and the paint is peeling off across the top (roof) and spots on the hood. I was given a case # but said my car is not under warranty and it has 59k miles, does not fall under customer care and no record of other reported issues. Why does a car that is 4 or less years old have paint peeling off the roof and spots on the hood? I have a newer and older Toyota Camry currently in our family and no paint peeling off. I don't understand why they do not want to help take care of this paint peeling issue. My next step is Federal Trade Commission as some have suggested above.
  • Rav4ToyotaRav4Toyota Member Posts: 1
    Just saw bubbling paint on my Rav4 and started looking it up. Hate to see this is an apparent on going issue. I use to trust in the Toyota name & brand.
  • rickdonrickdon Member Posts: 123
    Invest on a good paint protection film like Suntek and Xpel, though paint chips and bubbling should be fixed first.
  • daisydkdaisydk Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2015 toyota rav 4 brand new. It is now 2019 and my paint has started to chip. I just started looking into this and it seems this is a thing and no dealers or Toyota are willing to help...