Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler Town and Country Touring shuts off while driving

1957greg1957greg Member Posts: 1
edited June 2014 in Chrysler

My vehicle shuts off while driving making it very dangerous. Took it to the dealer, but they couldn't figure it out. They had the vehicle for weeks at a time. The warranty has expired and it still shuts off, but I'm starting to notice the ignition switch clicks and the van shuts down at the same time. Surely there are others with this problem.
Gregory Thompson
[Phone number removed]

Comments

• Options
    tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293

Yes, this is a common problem. I would recommend you file a formal complaint online with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Office of Defect Investigation at www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues. You may search this database for your year/make/model and find others with the same issue. You may also find recalls on the same website. I believe Chrysler issued an ignition key module recall for certain years and models of its minivans.

• Options
    tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293

It appears the NHTSA has expanded their ignition switch recall to cover certain 2008 on up Chrysler minivans. New recall campaign id is: 14V373000 dated June 26, 2014.
    SUMMARY:
    This defect can affect the safe operation of the airbag system. Until this recall is performed, customers should remove all items from their key rings, leaving only the ignition key. The key fob (if applicable), should also be removed from the key ring. Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2009-2010 Dodge Journey vehicles manufactured June 29, 2007, to June 17, 2010, and 2008-2010 Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town and Country vehicles manufactured January 26, 2007, to June 17, 2010. Road conditions or some other jarring event may cause the ignition switch to move out of the run position, turning off the engine.
    CONSEQUENCE:
    If the ignition key inadvertently moves into the OFF or ACCESSORY position, the engine will turn off, which will then depower various key safety systems including but not limited to air bags, power steering, and power braking. Loss of functionality of these systems may increase the risk of crash and/or increase the risk of injury in the event of a crash.
    REMEDY:
    Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will modify the ignition switch, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is L25. Note: This is an expansion of recall 11V-139.
    NOTES:
    Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

• Options
    crash911crash911 Member Posts: 1

Thank you for this thread. I've had problems with the Integrated Ignition Key on my 2008 Town and Country in the past. I keep nothing on FOB except small ring to attach to purse.

Yesterday had a terrifying experience on highway422 in Ohio on a one-lane 6 mile construction zone, road slightly graded. Van just stopped, lost all power. No brakes, no power steering. Immediately hit the flasher and pumped brakes to alert driver behind me (55 mile/hour zone) but had no idea if anything was working as flasher indicator did not light up. Figured airbags were probably disabled as well. Was leary of dropping it into neutral but I should have.

Coasted to a stop finally with right wheels off the road (ofcourse that side, the one without the concrete barriers was a sharp cut-off) with just enough room to allow other drivers to pass.

This morning I notified NHTSA thanks to this thread, and called Chrysler Customer service. They put me in touch with dealer

I really hope this recall will include my van as dealer indicated this would be a pricey fix with a $90 diagnostic fee from the outset. Dealer also indicated they were "unaware of problems" yet asked me questions about what I had on fob and that they have done replacements of ignition modules and keys in the past so I do believe they are aware of a pending recall.

• Options
    cameramanatlcameramanatl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 t&c and it recently started shutting off while driving and no one knows why. Engine light came on once and it said p0404 and I replace the egr and it seem to start cutting off more often. And I have to sit longer before it starts back up. My Mechanic changed some type of ignition switch because it showed on his computer that that was the cause but it still shuts off. I want to get rid of it but I do not want somebody else to get this vehicle and have the same problem please help with what I should do
  • Options
    coolcarguy1979coolcarguy1979 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2010 T&C with the same issue and we found it was the TIPM (total integrated power module). The TIPM has a notorious problem of having FAULTY FACTORY RELAYS installed on the interior circuit boards. Don't run out and spend $1200 for a new TIPM that has these relays - you're throwing away your money and not solving the problem. I replaced the TIPM on my 2010 T&C with a rebuilt unit (cost $325) and it solved everything! Car runs great, A/C is working again, no problems with starting up. I bought my TIPM at: https://www.totalintegratedpowermodule.com
    I'm not saying you need/should purchase your TIPM from where I bought mine, I'm just saying to verify that the internal relays are not the factory-installed pieces of garbage. If the relays haven't been replaced, there's a big chance the problem will resurface.
    We also had an issue of the van stalling while driving and had the EGR valve replaced. I would recommend this to anyone who has a van around 90k miles.