Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• computertroublcomputertroubl Member Posts: 2
    The Battery died on my jetta and after recharging the car will not stay running. It will start and hten imediately die. Is this a problem with the computer? The check engine light was on with what i beleive to be an O2 sensor problem could it be related? Before the problem starting it was buring an excess amount of fuel and the exhaust was black. I thought that could perhaps be because of the O2 sensor or maybe the spark plugs? I am depsperate need of assistance since i am not very mechanically inclined. The car in a 1999 Jetta i dont know if any of these problems are prone to this model or whats up. Any advice would be apreciated
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    If you VW starts - then immediately dies... that sounds like the immobilizer kicking in. It "thinks" that you are using the wrong key and kills the engine.

Since your battery died, it is possible that you need to "retrain" your car to recognize the key. Try all 3 of the keys that came with your car. hopefully ONE of them will still work and allow you to "retain" from there.

=============
    As for you black exhaust and othther signs of running rich.... there is an "extended warantee" on the MAF sensor. I would assume that is the cause of the CEL also.
  • computertroublcomputertroubl Member Posts: 2
    i tried all three keys and had the same result three times. Now what are my options. i think i should also tell you that i recently moved to the far north and there isnt a volkswagen dealer for 800miles and there isnt a licensed mechanic here
  • kylep86kylep86 Member Posts: 51
    So i really jinxed myself after leaving that last message. Tonight i went into in my car and went to turn the interior lights on. Ok, everything lights up except where the controls are for the air. Fuse? Help me out guys. Thanks.
  • jettafellajettafella Member Posts: 5
    I have had my new Jetta 2.5 ltr 2005.5 for 4 months and, whilst the dealership quickly solved the rattling doors when playing loud music problem I am in a $2600 hole....because of a simple pothole. I hit this moderate sized pothole going a mere 15 mph on the front passenger side and blew out my front tire. I had the tire replaced but the steering wheel was no longer centered as I drove straight so off to the dealership I go...
    That was nearly 2 weeks ago. They could not get the alignment to happen, so they had to unbolt the front sub-frame, which apparently had noticably shifted as a result of the impact, and bolt it back aligned...no joy, it would still not align. So after checking every connection from the wheel to the subframe they found that the subframe mounting stantions (sp?), and various connecting rods to the front right wheel were damaged and needed replacing. It should be ready on Friday, no loaner ($400 car rental bill), at a cost of $2100 ish. SO BEWARE OF BUMPY ROADS, aparently they will seriously screw up your new VW Jetta.
    so now the Question....how does the impact on a wheel, floating on suspension, attached by jointed connecting rods, cause so much damage...is the new Jetta that so flimsily engineered. I bought the Jetta as a fuel effiecient alternative to my wife's SUV, but right now the $2600 check of sets alot of fuel costs! Anyone know anything about this??
  • kplay1kplay1 Member Posts: 1
    I keep hearing this vibrating, humming noise coming from the front end of my 2001 VW Jetta. At first I thought it was the junk tires that I have on the front... but now I am starting to think it might be a little bit more serious. some of the symptoms are I am using more fuel, humming gets louder at certain speeds 30-60 mph, it gets the noisiest when taking a merging right turn @ 20-30 mph. If any body can be of some assistance and let me know what could be the problem it would be appreciated. I don't want to go to the dealer and have them tell me it's my ball bearings or something when it could only be the tires I have on the front. How much noise is expected from tires ?
  • bigatbigat Member Posts: 2
    REGARDING THIS PROBLEM CODE P0 411. I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND REPLACED WHATS CALLED DIVERTER VALVE AND IT SOLVED THE PROBLEM.
  • bigatbigat Member Posts: 2
    CHECK ENGINE OIL LEVEL AND ADD ENGINE OIL TO LEVEL AND DRIVE CAR FOR AWHILE THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WILL TURN OFF BY ITS SELF.
  • aggripaaggripa Member Posts: 1
    Recently had a problem with my 96 jetta( 117,00 miles). I deactivate my alarm by opening the passenger side door ( opening my drivers side door sets the alarm off). This morning was cold and my passenger side lock was frozen so I had too open the driver side which set my alarm off. To make a long story short it took some time to turn off my alarm. After putting the keys into the ignition I was unable to turn it. I was thinking that the ignition was also cold. After returning to the car later the ignition turned fine but there was no engine starting noise only the lights blinking on my console. After opening the hood my friend heard a humming sound( not a clicking sound) when I turn on the car. Is this an electrical problem? Has the alarm deactivated something to prevent me from starting the car? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • skm4skm4 Member Posts: 10
    Not true, as the light even stays on after I have had the oil changed.....unless they do not put in the correct amount when they change the oil....??

The engine light stays on continuiously.

Thanks for the response.

skm4
  • mrjettemrjette Member Posts: 122
    I had an '02 Jetta with a similar sound. Although it only had 20K at the time, it was indeed a bad wheel bearing. The fact it gets worse on turning makes me think you have the same (this puts a different stress on the bearing). Mine was replaced under warranty, but the invoice shows a value of $312.00 from the dealer (in 8/04).

Good luck.
  • eyc51keyc51k Member Posts: 41
    I am not calling you a lair. But a simple hit of a pothole in no way will destroy the basis frame work structure, and if it did, then thousands upon thousands of people would be screaming at the same time that Jettas are flimsy junk. Flimsy they are not. Flimsy isn’t an automobile with the capacity to go upward towards a half a million miles before it’s service life is over.

I honestly believe you have been snookered via of some very incompetent shysters supposedly repairing your car. If they knew what they were doing, then only one trip would have determined the extend of this supposedly, excessive damage. The kind of damage you speak of is found in car crashes where body shops then send them to frame shops for structural repairs, not a simple pothole hit.

I have been a mechanic for over 30 years and I just can't buy this story, there are details you are not reporting.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Why aren't you claiming this on your insurance?

Musta been one helluva hole to do that kind of damage...
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Yes, as a follow up, if indeed it was caused by roadway imperfections, you can file a claim with your responsible agencies: city, county, state, fed .
    If you hit a hole deep enough and hard enough, you'll damage any car, even a heavy truck. I suspect this "hole" was not your average pothole but a very deep one---given that the tire blew up....in effect, hitting a deep hole is like a collision...the forces involved are tremendous.
  • zane2zane2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Jetta 4 1.6 that went for its major service recently. Prior to the service, the car would accelerate sluggishly, have a slight shudder on the accelerator pedal; and sometimes even switch off. The mechanic thinks that it's the throttle body electronics that's faulty. Has anyone experienced this, what do u guys think?
  • knownothingknownothing Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Jetta VR6 with about 115K miles. My check engine light has been on for about 1.5 yrs, I have brought it in a few times and everytime they tell me it's the O2 Sensor but after being replaced I get the light on again in a few months. This morning the Check engine light began flashing at me (it would flash for about 1 minute, then turn on solid for about 1 minute, and continue like that). I have made an appointment at the shop, but I'm currently about 40 miles from home, should driving home significantly increase my chances of damaging anything (I have already driven 40 mile to work with it flashing).
    Thanks!
    The problem is that they haven't been fixing the problem. All the codes tell you is the general circuit that is affected, not the actual component. Computers that identify each individual defect in a component aren't here yet.

Replacing th 02 sensor is merely fixing the symptom. What this shop needs to find out is what is making the 02 sensor unhappy...or find someone who knows what to do.
  • knownothingknownothing Member Posts: 2
    When it makes the shift from solid check engine light to flashing, does this mean I've gotten to the situation where it should not be driven at all?
    I don't know how your particular car works in this regard, but engine lights mean there is a problem, so it's always a risk. I suppose if the car is running fine you can slide with it but who knows for sure? I presume your gas cap is screwed on REAL tight?

But anyway, just throwing 02 sensors at this light isn't going to solve the problem, obviously.
  • vwjet1vwjet1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 VW Jetta stationwagen less than 38K mi and has been in the shop 5 or more times with the same problem: gear gets locked in park and I am unable to move it into reverse, and the EPT light goes on. The dealership and the CustomerCare number will not release the name of the field office manager. Does anyone know how I can contact the regional manager for Northern California---bought the car in Sunnyvale, have it serviced in San Mateo area? I have filed a complaint with the Customer Care office. What else can I do? Doesn't this fall under the lemon law? Any suggestions?
  • shira79shira79 Member Posts: 2
    HI. I JUST HAD A SIMILIAR PROBLEM WITH MY JETTA. THE DEALERSHIP SAID IT WAS SOME TYPE OF TIMING BELT OR SUMTHIN. ONCE THEY FIXED IT,IT WAS FINE. WHEN U PUT UR FOOT ON THE BRAKE,AND TRY TO MOVE UR GEAR FROM PARK TO REVERSE,ETC IT DOESNT MOVE RIGHT? IT IS A PAIN. MY MAJOR PROBLEM WITH MY CAR RIGHT NOW AND HAS BEEN SINCE 3 MONTHS AFTER I PURCHASED IT IS WITH THE TRANSMISSION. THE CAR JERKS AND LITERALLY HAS TO THINK WHAT ITS GONNA DO WHEN I CHANGE GEARS FROM REVERSSE,DRIVER,ETC. THEY DEALER I WENT TO CLAIMED ALL VW'S DO THIS. I HAD A LAWSUIT FILED WITH LEMON LAW AND THE FOUGHT IT FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS THEN DROPPED THE CASE. I HAVE A STACK OF INVOICES OF HOW MANY TIMES THE VEHICLE HAS BEEN WORKED ON. WHAT DO U THINK I SHOULD DO?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I think you should turn off the CAPS LOCK.
    Yes turn off CAPS LOCK--most people will ignore posts written like that, as they are too difficult to read and also appear as if you are "shouting".

Host
  • dknmobiledknmobile Member Posts: 1
    I didn't see your previous message, but I also have this problem. It happened shortly after I (yet again) had a penny slip into my 12V outlet (blew a fuse of course). I don't know if it's related or what. There was some flickering before it went out, but it's those same 3 bottom controls for the air. I now have my fuse card out, but I haven't figured it out yet.
  • shira79shira79 Member Posts: 2
    sorry. im at work and i have to shift back and forth on my caps lock. i probably 4got. i have 4 monitors that i have to use on my desk! (:
  • redjettaredjetta Member Posts: 1
    i recently purchased a 2006 2.5 Jetta, pkg. 1. does anyone have any advise are information on what i should expect. I am going from a 2002 toyota rav 4 to this car. how does VW handle in the snow? how is the gas mileage?
    thanks!
    It's a bulb that was blown for me. I took it to my VW dealer where they told me it would be 20 bucks or so. They ended up giving to me for free and walking away having to pay for nothing. My VW dealer is the best, this is the second time they done something like this for me. Good Luck! :)
    Hi redjetta...The jetta is great in snow due to the ESP feature. We have been getting 24-27 mpg in various mixes of driving. Have not done a long highway trip yet.
    4 monitors, that's nuts :) .

I don't think that this is your problem, but I have read of the transmission sometimes needing to be "reset". I found this version of procedure, if you want to try it:

1. Put your key in the ignition and turn ignition to the on position (the position right before you start the car)
    2. Hold down the gas pedal all the way down so it is pressing the button under the pedal for at least 20 seconds.
    3. Let foot off pedal and start car. Be sure that you do not turn ignition off because that will void the reset
  • eyc51keyc51k Member Posts: 41
    how does VW handle in the snow

----------------------------------------------

I have been driving for 38 years and 38 winters of snow with every type of vehicle. To answer your question: LIKE YOU CAN'T BELIEVE!
  • edwinliedwinli Member Posts: 1
    [Steve the host suggested I re-post here...]

Hi,

I've a friend with 2001 Jetta, and I was planning on buying her a Griffin RoadTrip for her iPod mini: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/roadtrip/

The thing plugs into the lighter/power socket without much of an arm, and the iPod docks right there.

My questions are, since I'm not sure where the power socket is: 1) where is the power socket, and 2) do you think there's enough clearance around the socket for the thing to fit/sit?

Thanks!
    => Edwin
    Do i need to go to the 20,000 mile service? I'm gonna hit it in about a week or so. What does the service entitle? What have you guys paid for it? Any insight is helpful, thanks.
    I guess you do not have to do it, the other option is void your warranty and wreck your car. Why in the world would you even think about skipping the scheduled maintenance :confuse: .

You can check your owner's manual or vw.com to find out what is included in 20,000 mi maintenance.
    Yea, its nots that i want to skip it... Its just that i don't really want to have to shuffle out the money for it. Thanks though
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Well I think you can shuffle up and deal a full houlse of DIY cards. (DO IT YOURSELF). It might take a bit of research, if you don't want to spring for the technical manuals. And/Or call in some markers to borrow needed tools and equipment. The fact of the matter is the 20,000 mile service consists mainly of inspection items. This of course can help you to become a more knowledgeble owner.
  • jtgjtg Member Posts: 1
    Don't know if you have an answer yet but your alarm control module will disable your starter. I have a 97 jetta which is wired like yours. My wife had a new key made which the driver's door lock switch doesn't like. It shorts out the switch, blows the fuse and sets off the alarm when she tries to arm it. I have no problem with using the original supplied key. The humming sound,I would bet,is your fuel pump. As for the ignition keys, wiggle your steering wheel as the wheel locks hard one way or the other and will prevent the key from turning.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    You are correct, A flashing CEL means DO NOT DRIVE- DAMAGE IMMINENT. (usually means that the catalytic converter will be damaged by excessive raw fuel in the exhaust stream)
  • sourapple7sourapple7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Jetta 1.8T 5-speed. My transmission won't shift into a gear when I hit 3500 RPM. Shifting below 3500 is normal and there is no slippage with the clutch. I have no idea what is wrong. Does anyone know what could be the problem?
  • nitefliteniteflite Member Posts: 3
    I bought this car in dec 2002, so it's a full three years old now. It has around 27-28k miles on it, and I was wondering if I really need to get the 30k maintenance done. The dealer offers it for some $400 or so, and it looks like there is no major work and they're just doing check-ups.

Is this something you recommend I do, and if so, can I go to other places than the dealer such as GoodYear or Midas?
    Are you sure they only doing what is on VWs 30K schedule for that price? I thought the expensive one was the 40K service...that is when I thought it got up to $400-500.

I think 30K the same as what they do at 10K...as you indicate, not a lot just oil change, tire rotation, check brakes and a couple other checks. Even with synthetic oil, I would think that should not run more than $100-150...certainly not over $200.
  • pruzinkpruzink Member Posts: 112
    You moved to the far north and there isn't a VW dealer for 800 miles? I bet that you must be helping Santa out. If you can find someone near you that has Vagcom, they might be able to help you out with your problem. I have Vagcom (live in CT) but have never used it to try to program a key but I know that it has that capability. I know that somewhere there is a Vagcom owner list that is published, I'm just not sure where (it might be tdiclub), I also know that yahoo has a vagcom user's group that has tons of posts on stuff that people use vagcom for. If you are that far away from a dealer, you might want to consider getting Vagcom for yourself (maybe if you talk to Santa).
  • gman56gman56 Member Posts: 3
    My 99 Jetta has trouble starting. The battery is ok and the ign. coil was replaced. The starter(new) turns the motor but it just won't start right away. When it does start it idles ok. Whenever I press on the gas there is a big hesitation and it does not drive well. It will not stall and runs fine at high rpm's. Can someone help me?
  • luvmyvdubluvmyvdub Member Posts: 2
    I don't know why the dealer wouldn't explain this, but it's the air pump. Not many cars have these but VW's, Audi's do.
    It makes warm up easier by forcing air in. If you have ever driven anything that was carbuerated you should get the idea of how difficult a cold start can be.
    Congrats on the new Jetta!
  • luvmyvdubluvmyvdub Member Posts: 2
    Is your check engine light on? It might be your M.A.F. sensor.
    You can have the codes pulled to make sure, Autozone does it for free.
  • kazzykazzy Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 2003 Wolfsburg (Automatic!). Within the last week and a half, I've developed multiple problems- difficulty starting the car, warm stalls, the car rev-ing itself after starting it, and the CEL. First took it to the dealer for service on Wednesday and they found nothing wrong. Today (a whopping 2 days later!) problems returned and CEL came back on. Dealer stated to me that there was "carbon buildup in the throttle" and they had cleaned it. I asked for paperwork, dealer said I didn't need any. When I requested, I was hassled and told I didn't need it and it would take 45 minutes to get the paperwork. I waited, and paperwork said "throttle valve pressure drop fault" as the problem. What does this mean, and why would the dealer not want to give me documentation of my visit to service? I'm still under warranty for another 10k... Thanks for any help!
  • gman56gman56 Member Posts: 3
    Yes the check eng. light is on.

I have a code reader and it gave me two codes:
    1. secondary air injection system incorrect flow?
    2. cylinder 3 misfire detected.

What is a m.a.f. sensor?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    mas = Mass Air Flow sensor. Evidently a device that helps the engine control unit (ECU) assess air flow into the engine to help regulate fuel flow and maintain some prescribed Fuel/Air ratio (probably lean) for increased efficiency.
    So i went to my VW dealer for my 20k service. Total was 200+tax.. (1.8t engine,which is what i have he said costs more because they use synthetic oil) I ended up paying 188.49, because he gave me a 10% off coupon on it. :)