Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Would It Take for YOU to buy a diesel car?

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,167
    It is a bad thing for those of us who don't pretend green by exporting pollution to those who take the biggest bribe. Some people delude themselves about their environmental friendliness.

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    stever said:

Are there any new TDIs currently on sale? Not much of a market.

Hm, be interesting to see analytics here on how many people are researching diesel vehicles. Usually the most heavily researched vehicle is the CR-V and I never dug much deeper than that. The F-150 is second, iirc.

I would not rule out buying a Ford F150 or Ram diesel if the SUV diesels go away. I wonder if they are given a different emissions standard than an SUV. Think it is based on weight. Looks like the Ram 1500 eco diesels have no problem getting 25 MPG. 26 gallons for 650 mile range. Fiberglas shell to protect stuff and I have an SUV on steroids. Even a plushed out MB Sprinter would be good for the highway. I was able to squeeze 25 MPG with my old one. They are all using that 2.1L twin turbo diesel.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited September 2016
    They (gasser light trucks) certainly operate under different emissions standards! That data & comparisons is/are not commonly published!
    So for example, TDI CUV/SUVs emit the same N0x as like models / competitor.s GASSERS.

Folks should keep in mind only three that were tested, starting all the brouhaha after EPA/CARB were prodded with those unofficial outside results. In US markets, two failed. So, kill all (475,000) of them? There is no policy or program to verify ANY representative sample to all of the buybacks for emissions NON compliance! It's the foot prints of cover up! If they tested three of them ,say gasser PU trucks and two failed with the system trying to kill all of them, you could not get away with it ! One year sales of F150 were 2015 780,000 + plus.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    TDI NOx specs are higher than gassers
    edited September 2016
    Post links for specs & competitors gasser N0x specs. ! If both comply with the law....so what! .??

As I have been saying, 2009 Jetta TDI (mine ) passed EPA/CARB biannual smog tests every time (4 each 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016) with flying colors ! Next due is 2018 and I know it will pass with flying colors, ...then. The 2009 Jetta will be 10 years in compliance (mine- app 145,000 miles by then)

Owners opting to keep their TDIs will not be required (by federal law) to get any to all to be approved emissions corrections. This snit/brouhaha has always been between EPA/CARB & VW, NOT the owners.

Right now, it is looking beyond 2019. EPA/CARB seems to be the major approval road block. Logistics after that would be another road block, I would guess. Keep in mind it's been over more than a year that EPA/CARB has "known". Compliance & approval should be quite straight forward & timely. It obviously is not!

The Washington Post VW " diesel- gate" 1 year highlights? https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/energy-environment/a-look-at-volkswagens-1-year-old-emissions-scandal/2016/09/21/ab954d7c-800a-11e6-ad0e-ab0d12c779b1_story.html?ref=yfp
    edited September 2016
    Yes indeed, I'd love an AWD E-wagon. It'd be the ultimate everything vehicle, one to keep for a long time. I might want a normal AWD without all of the butch gingerbread, though.

I read on a MB forum that our favorite wolf-crying German eco-weenie club DUH recently said that the new E220d is something like the cleanest diesel they have tested. Whether this is true or paid for remains to be seen.
    texases said:

TDI NOx specs are higher than gassers

Yes, but CO and CO2 are higher for gassers. The reason the EU likes diesel more than gas. Don't forget the Berkeley study that says diesels are cleaner than Tesla using current electric sources. From this I can assume the Tesla X produces far more pollution in manufacturing, than my Touareg. So how many miles before the EV catches me depends on his source of electricity.

Manufacturing a mid-sized EV with an 84-mile range results in about 15 percent more emissions than manufacturing an equivalent gasoline vehicle. For larger, longer-range EVs that travel more than 250 miles per charge, the manufacturing emissions can be as much as 68 percent higher.

http://www.ucsusa.org/clean-vehicles/electric-vehicles/life-cycle-ev-emissions#.V-NSs_ArKhc
    edited September 2016
    fintail said:

Yes indeed, I'd love an AWD E-wagon. It'd be the ultimate everything vehicle, one to keep for a long time. I might want a normal AWD without all of the butch gingerbread, though.

I read on a MB forum that our favorite wolf-crying German eco-weenie club DUH recently said that the new E220d is something like the cleanest diesel they have tested. Whether this is true or paid for remains to be seen.

What do you mean by butch gingerbread ? I'm guessing only 1 AWD & 1 diesel option would hit our shores. If one wants or has to have an AWD we are pretty happy with the MB 4 matic.

I don't have a link, but I read an article saying that the upcoming diesel will be the cleanest MB d to hit the market.
    edited September 2016
    The imitation bullbar/brush guard design on the front bumper, the plastic cladding on the wheelarches - it's a little too Subaru (nothing against Subaru) for me, and I am in an area where those (and dopey CUVs) are an accessory for witless suburban drones who likely will never even see a gravel road not to mention deep snow or actual off road conditions, but like to prance around as if they are the second coming of Grizzly Adams.

Sadly, the last E wagon sold here was available in one configuration only (aside from AMG) - V6 gasoline 4Matic, nothing else. We haven't had a C wagon in over a decade now. I'll have to believe a diesel one of either sold here when I see it - I think the CUVs have much higher profit margins, and that's what counts.

ruking1 said:

What do you mean by butch gingerbread ? I'm guessing only 1 AWD & 1 diesel option would hit our shores. If one wants or has to have an AWD we are pretty happy with the MB 4 matic.

I don't have a link, but I read an article saying that the upcoming diesel will be the cleanest MB d to hit the market.

edited September 2016
    Lol! Sounds like it's enough for you not to get it!

Station (sappy) wagons have been, are, remain total non starters in US markets. MB (or other oems) is not about to lose money selling (sappy) station wagons in US markets, when it can sell & profit boat loads where it is popular (EU).

My father, almost a generation ago got a DISCOUNT on a new station wagon!? It had a detuned Supra engine & was one of few 6 cylinder normally aspirated engines that ran like stink & upgrade to 7388 ft to boot? ( my SOS/DD trek) But if I need to state the obvious: it was a station wagon. It was subtle, well, I'll stop there.
    For the most part, I like my cars to be fairly subtle.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2016
    ruking1 said:

Sounds like the perfect runabout to use to go grab some clean bacon. :D (there are several articles out about Panera's bacon but I figured linking to the Ad Age article was most appropriate).

edited September 2016
    stever said:

ruking1 said:

Sounds like the perfect runabout to use to go grab some clean bacon. :D (there are several articles out about Panera's bacon but I figured linking to the Ad Age article was most appropriate).

Yup! Just need a bio diesel engine and you could process bacon grease into biodiesel B)

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Americans are silly when it comes to Station Wagons. My wife has been given a hard time by friends and co-workers for getting a WAGON! Little do they know that her GOLF Sportwagen TDI will run circles around her co-workers' CUV's and SUV's.

It seems people make negative comments on cars they haven't even test driven 90% of the time. VW has some really good cars. The Passat didn't do much for me though. I like the new MQB platform.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited September 2016
    I think it is even more so when it comes to diesels !!! I have demonstrated time and time again that nobody really cares if you are/ were getting 36 mpg, when everybody else is getting like 19 to 22 mpg. That's 63.6 % better mpg!!!

Well there was/were a time/s they bought the SW "land yachts" with some volume. I remember a relatives 9 passenger job,.... moons ago. :D It had the strap Gram to the roof option also. I remember the Chevrolet Nomad. I didn't like it when I was 10 years old.

VW has almost always had the SW model. They have ALWAYS been a small % minority subset. This is a bit confounding. The resale has always been high better than the other models.

As you know, the station wagon models were normally like 85% TDI before the diesel-gate brouhaha.

I just had a conversation with the the friend that bought the used Mercedes Benz 3.0L Blue Tec CUV/SUV. (SW like) he was getting 20 22 mpg in an Acura MDX. He's more than a happy camper, even after over a year with it. The torque difference is just incredible!
    edited September 2016
    Tesla CHEATER (33%) ? http://finance.yahoo.com/news/norwegian-tesla-owners-sue-car-160000281.html

Liar liar pants on fire ? What, ...no US market outrage ? ;)

Funny no mention of tested torque!?
    Fintail says:
    The imitation bullbar/brush guard design on the front bumper, the plastic cladding on the wheelarches - it's a little too Subaru (nothing against Subaru) for me, and I am in an area where those (and dopey CUVs) are an accessory for witless suburban drones who likely will never even see a gravel road not to mention deep snow or actual off road conditions, but like to prance around as if they are the second coming of Grizzly Adams.

I think you miss the most important reason the Boomers are buying SUVs over sedans. Not to go off road or use in deep snow. It is for easy ingress and egress. I hate getting into a sedan that is low slung. Hurts my back getting in and out. That is why Honda sells more CR-Vs than Accords or Civics. Toyota is setting sales records with RAV4, Highlander and 4Runner. Sadly none of them are offered in diesel in the USA.
    ruking1 said:

Tesla CHEATER (33%) ? http://finance.yahoo.com/news/norwegian-tesla-owners-sue-car-160000281.html

Only 469 horsepower. What a rip. :D

In a Switch for Paris Show, Automakers Turn From Diesel (NY Times)
    Yes, but boomers weren't the sole context here. The faux-outdoorsman in my area is usually some bearded hipster stereotype, or a middle aged dad trying to be cool. A huge amount of the vehicles listed below aren't sold to boomers, but to the crowd who is either insecure and demands a high seating position, or the wannabe nature loving crowd. It might be a regional thing.
    gagrice said:

I think you miss the most important reason the Boomers are buying SUVs over sedans. Not to go off road or use in deep snow. It is for easy ingress and egress. I hate getting into a sedan that is low slung. Hurts my back getting in and out. That is why Honda sells more CR-Vs than Accords or Civics. Toyota is setting sales records with RAV4, Highlander and 4Runner. Sadly none of them are offered in diesel in the USA.

When EVs cheat or pollute, it's OK.
    ruking1 said:

Yes, we both know the "DRILL".
    Well, Hyundai got caught overstating HP and Hyundai, Kia, Mitsu, Ford and Chevy have all been called on the carpet for overestimating mpg.
    ruking1 said:

This is an outrage! Tesla should be boycotted in the US due to this lie. I mean this is less than 5/7th's of the promised product. That's like charging 2/7 extra in hidden fees.

Can I sell you a pound of gold that only weighs 5/7 of a lb?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    fintail said:

Yes, but boomers weren't the sole context here. The faux-outdoorsman in my area is usually some bearded hipster stereotype, or a middle aged dad trying to be cool. A huge amount of the vehicles listed below aren't sold to boomers, but to the crowd who is either insecure and demands a high seating position, or the wannabe nature loving crowd. It might be a regional thing.

gagrice said:

If it was only about seating position, they'd buy mini-vans!
    stever said:

Well, Hyundai got caught overstating HP and Hyundai, Kia, Mitsu, Ford and Chevy have all been called on the carpet for overestimating mpg.

Some of those might still be lying about MPG's. they might not have learned their lesson!
    And was it the punishment a slap on the wrist, or a pinch on the cheek?
    stever said:

Well, in every case, lawyers were involved.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    ruking1 said:

Lol ! Apologies for under reporting the compensation by $24 million! Or 24% ;) Let's see, 5,300 folks or more involved and ZERO whistleblowers amongst them ?

Heard a very brief blurb on a news channel today that said there were many who tried to blow the whistle over the last couple of years, but they were silenced immediately. More to come I am sure.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Fintail, another SUV with diesel is coming first of 2017. Though they seem to forget the Q5 and GLK both offer diesels in that segment. I wonder if a 1.6L diesel will have enough torque?

CHICAGO -- The 2018 Chevrolet Equinox will be shorter and lighter than the model it replaces and will be the first compact crossover offered in the U.S. with a diesel engine, General Motors said late Thursday.

The redesigned Equinox will be 400 pounds lighter than the outgoing model, which is GM’s second most popular U.S. vehicle. It will also be 4 inches shorter while adding 3.5 cubic feet of interior space when it reaches North American dealerships in the first quarter of next year.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160922/OEM04/160929920/chevy-will-equip-next-equinox-with-diesel-engine-in-global-push
    edited September 2016
    Nice catch, I just read a blurb about the new Equinox and missed the engine choices entirely. Maybe the diesel will help reverse their ~18% sales decline (although a lot of that is due to lowered fleet sales).
    1.6-liter direct-injection four-cylinder rated at 136hp (101 kW) and 236 lb-ft (320Nm) of peak torque paired to a six-speed automatic transmission claimed to return an estimated 40mpg (5.9l/100km) on the highway.

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/09/all-new-2018-chevrolet-equinox-gets-16l.html

I like the flat space in back. Who knows I may really like it.

A 1.6 does seem kind of small, I doubt that thing was designed with lightness in mind.

The ~2 liter MB engines seem to be the perfect mix of power and efficiency.
    fintail said:

A 1.6 does seem kind of small, I doubt that thing was designed with lightness in mind.

The ~2 liter MB engines seem to be the perfect mix of power and efficiency.

The MB 2.1L has a 130+ more ft lbs of torque. Plus 60+ more HP. Unless the Equinox is a LOT lighter it may not get it. Chevy is banking on that diesel engine to steal VW's diesel buyers. They may be right on target.
    This got my attention also. If it is set up to download Google maps.

availability of 7- and 8-inch MyLink infotainment systems supporting both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
    It is great to see a host of oems getting into the diesel fray. If VW doesn't get it's ... in gear, the segment is theirs to lose in 5 years.
    Crazy what 400cc can do. I haven't checked the specs, but the Equinox looks bigger than a GLC or equivalent to my eyes. I hope it doesn't end up being a snail.

Links to smartphones for ICE are finally going to become mainstream. OEM nav systems have been a profit center for a long time, but they can probably make the same amount by selling everyone phone links rather than 20% of people nav.

And yeah, it is col to see others joining in even after the VW insanity.
    gagrice said:

The MB 2.1L has a 130+ more ft lbs of torque. Plus 60+ more HP. Unless the Equinox is a LOT lighter it may not get it. Chevy is banking on that diesel engine to steal VW's diesel buyers. They may be right on target.
    This got my attention also. If it is set up to download Google maps.

availability of 7- and 8-inch MyLink infotainment systems supporting both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

edited September 2016
    If they drop 400 lbs off of the current 3700 lbs, that is one lightweight vehicle. So maybe that tiny 1.6L will handle it. Not sure what kind of ride you will get. I am pretty spoiled on ride and handling. I think they are after the CR-V crowd. It is going to be 6 inches shorter and 4 inches narrower than my Touareg. We shall see.
    edited September 2016
    In many ways, they are messing with whole series' of balances. Without digging into some finer points, it seems mpg is a first tier priority (1.6 L/236# ft). I've got 1.9 L/155# ft, 2.0L/236# ft,2.1L/369# ft TDI's (3.0/406 # ft) With Fintail getting 48 MPG, & with me getting up to 50 mpg on a 4,000# 4wd, my vote would be for the 2.1 L TT 369 # ft. 3,200#'s.- 3,500 # max. Monster in many ways for sure!

Most folks won't know or care, the current VW Touareg TDI gen at app 4900 #'s dropped about 400 #'s (from app 5,300 #'s). Increased mpg, better handling, less component wear, better overall dynamics were some benefits.

On the 2.1 L TT, the last tankful/ fill (14 gal) posted 36 mpg (506 miles).
    I think 3700 is about the weight of a GLC. For a 1.6, they will really need to lose that 400 lbs - and that's a bit of weight. However, Equinox is already available with a 4 cyl gasoline, which has to be gutless - diesel torque might make the little diesel better than the little gasoline.
    IMO the MB 2.1L twin turbo diesel is the engine to beat. GM is claiming their new 1.6L diesel is whisper quiet and very clean. It will be in the 2017 Cruze so they say. Chevy seems to have skipped diesels in the 2016 Cruze. Is it possible, they did not want the 2.0L diesel scrutinized too closely after dieselgate? Rocky still loves his Cruze diesel, plans on leasing the new one, when they arrive. Or until he can afford a Tesla. I think that is just his Eco Nut voice talking. He is a hardcore diesel convert.
    I don't know if what works in what has to be a much lighter Cruze will be as good in a bigger/heavier Equinox. It may be clean, but it will have to move a lot of mass.

Until Tesla can make something with a 500 mile range and not be helped along with some of the dopiest tax breaks in the land, I won't be thinking about one. (OK, I want better styling and charging options too)/
    edited September 2016
    It's not just VW! Cadillac is trying to buy out 400 dealerships! GM is trying to slim down to get more profitable! http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/09/23/why-general-motors-is-offering-buyouts-to-400-cadi.aspx?source=yahoo-2&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=yahoo-2&yptr=yahoo&ref=yfp

VW I've read has app 650 dealerships.

So underfoot. a shift to larger Cadillac dealerships.
    I have to disagree that Cadillac has too many dealers. San Diego has 3 Caddy dealers. One already lost their GMC franchise. We have 5 MB dealers. I will admit the best Caddy dealer according to friends is very dated. Been there since I was a kid and looks like it. Take way more than $180k to bring it up to the local MB/BMW/Lexus dealerships. Being in the East of San Diego, De la Fuente Cadillac probably sells more Escalades than the other dealers. Always a line up of them on the lot with many used trade-ins. Lots of Indian casinos and wealth. Though I would say BMW X5 out numbers the other Luxo SUVs on the reservations.

That said I don't see Cadillac ever regaining long past glory.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    edited September 2016
    ruking1 said:

Post links for specs & competitors gasser N0x specs. ! If both comply with the law....so what! .??

As I have been saying, 2009 Jetta TDI (mine ) passed EPA/CARB biannual smog tests every time (4 each 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016) with flying colors ! Next due is 2018 and I know it will pass with flying colors, ...then. The 2009 Jetta will be 10 years in compliance (mine- app 145,000 miles by then)

Owners opting to keep their TDIs will not be required (by federal law) to get any to all to be approved emissions corrections. This snit/brouhaha has always been between EPA/CARB & VW, NOT the owners.

Right now, it is looking beyond 2019. EPA/CARB seems to be the major approval road block. Logistics after that would be another road block, I would guess. Keep in mind it's been over more than a year that EPA/CARB has "known". Compliance & approval should be quite straight forward & timely. It obviously is not!

The Washington Post VW " diesel- gate" 1 year highlights? https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/energy-environment/a-look-at-volkswagens-1-year-old-emissions-scandal/2016/09/21/ab954d7c-800a-11e6-ad0e-ab0d12c779b1_story.html?ref=yfp

Ru,
    The car passes smog by simply plugging into the computer port, not by running any pollution tests. If they change their test to check for a "fix" signature in the car software, it will then fail smog. I don't know they would do that, but I don't put anything past CARB. They could also require something when you register the car the next year, some kind of certificate (or even sent directly to CARB) indicating the "fix" has been done.

Some states don't care, of course, but California does. I would not plan on simply continuing to drive my Passat without getting it fixed. We are still planning on turning it in, despite how much we like it.

BTW, got a recall notice today, something about a connector under the car that could catch fire. Mine was in the shop at the time, so they fixed it.
    Your first paragraph makes my whole point, TDI smog emissions are NOT checked at all !
    edited September 2016
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/right-now-is-the-best-time-of-the-year-to-buy-a-new-car-124730623.html

The above article indicates two reasons why they might be trying to kill diesel: fear of soft gasoline prices ($1.99 & less! ) & soft PVF markets from ( leftover but new) 2015 to 2018.

Another waste? RUG vs PUG. http://finance.yahoo.com/video/whats-difference-between-regular-premium-145551922.html

But app 16% of gas cars require to recommend PUG.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    ruking1 said:

Your first paragraph makes my whole point, TDI smog emissions are NOT checked at all !

Oh, yes they don't check them unless the car has no port. My point was that CA owners WILL have to get the fix, because they should be able to tell if the fix has been applied.
    edited September 2016
    Recalls have never been mandatory by EPA/CARB. I have read that recalls have a very low percentage of completion. EPA/CARB should not politicize the so call VW diesel-gate.

My guess will be 2019 @ the earliest, due to lack of EPA/CARB approvals, legal issues, additional lawsuits, i.e., constitutiona, environmental, etc., huge testing protocols, huge logistics, etc. 2019 might be extremely optimistic. :D i'm interested to see how the other "class action" lawsuits settle.

My very next EPA/CARB biannual smog inspection, after the 2018's will be 2020. ;)B) It will be interesting to see what happens when the shoe is on the other foot.

VW A given time & circumstances may hint or even follow up on ...bankruptcy. It worked /s for GM. Ford came close. Chrysler also, but bought by FIAT. All to some of these fall under the category of so called "too big to fail". Funny how there is no auto industry equivalent "Dodd Frank".

So to me, it has all to do with how important to the US Germany remaining in the EU is. It was very apparent that the US fancied Germany and the UK as EU anchors (stores). Brexit took the US by complete & utter surprise! I'm sure Brexit had, has, continue to have an economic impact. Not even approximate numbers were ever discussed in US news. It is interesting that London England has become the new financial capital of the world over NYC.(Wall Street) (1%er protest, et al)

Or this might be part of broader goals that gives Toyota and GM shots at #'s 1 and 2, sandbagging VW @ # 3. There is a certain irony that all three produce & sell TDI's world wide.
    I seriously doubt Germany will even make a public thought about leaving the EU. It may put the most into the unholy alliance, but it also gets the most out of it, so many markets for its goods (like all of its excellent diesel cars). Seeing as the German public lacks the desire to simply oust an awful leader like Merkel makes me believe they won't dare walk away from the EU and its sweet trade deals, and the goofy impossible coexist style dreams the "generation have 68" have brainwashed into following generations. Germany has been under a de facto occupation for 71 years, and too many people there like to just do what they are told. I don't see it standing up for itself now.

Brexit may not come to full fruition, either, even if we won't hear the truth about the impacts to the EU about its second most powerful member deciding to leave the club. The US might end up being the only nation that has successfully Brexited ;)

This discussion has been closed.