Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• leslied2leslied2 Member Posts: 1
    If all of you whiners would learn how to tighten the gas cap, your check engine light wouldn't go on. I've owned a Jetta GLX for 2 years with 42,000 miles on it now and have never had any problems with it at all.
  • corgigirlcorgigirl Member Posts: 1
    I just got my Jetta 2000 GLX, 5 speed on the first of August. It was the dealerships Demo car with 4400 miles on it. It is completely loaded and we got it at a decent price (for a VW) After driving it around for a few days with no noticable problems, things started happening. There is a creaking noise at the drivers door and the front passenger door when you change gears, put your foot on the brake or go over any rough spots on the road. In my uneducated opinion, it sounds like it is in the suspension. I called the service department and they said, Oh yes, we have heard this complaint. Unfortunately, they said that there is nothing they can do about the noise. So now I have to live with it.. I think not.... please tell me if any of you have been experiencing this. If so, are you going to live with it or have you been able to have it fixed. There is also a lot of wind noise in the little vent on the dashboard when any window is open. I hope they can fix this too...
  • bmcnealbmcneal Member Posts: 4
    we have NOT had to put gas in our jetta since we bought it (9 days ago) any other suggestions???
  • vwbluevwblue Member Posts: 1
    Help! I've been going in circles since I started reading all this stuff. I am considering three cars. An accord ex sedan, a civic ex sedan, or a vw Jetta gls or possibly the turbo. After test driving each of these I have come to the following conclusions: The hondas are nice reliable cars the are extremely boring to drive. This seems to be confirmed by everything I have read. Reliability is important to me since I have a long commute each day. However, after driving the turbo jetta I can honestly say that I have never had so much fun behind the wheel of a car and fun is important to me too. The problem, of course, as I am learning here is that when it comes to reliability VW's are the anti-hondas of the world. So the question is what does one do--go for reliabilty or fun? Is there any car out there that has both in this approximate price range? I was leaning toward the jetta but these comments have me thinking twice. So once again--HELP!
  • kcfisherkcfisher Member Posts: 2
    Corgigirl,

There has been much debate over the door creak at www.vwvortex.com .. The typical fix for this problem is to really grease up the door latch mechanisms on the offending doors. I've had to do that to my car several times, and the noises immediately disappear. It takes about 2 minutes of your time, and solves the problem for a few months.
  • heynow2heynow2 Member Posts: 1
    Is it normal for a 2000 jetta with only 6,000 miles to use one quart of oil every 1,000 miles with no evident oil leaks? The dealer and VW customer service swear this is normal and falls within VW guide lines. This does not sound right, any info on similar issues?
  • pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    Have you checked out our Sedans conference? There are LOTS of comparison topics over there that may help you make your decision.

An easy way to find suitable topics is to use the Topic Search feature on the left side of this page once for each vehicle you are interested in.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • prashantrprashantr Member Posts: 1
    My three month old Jetta doesnt start anymore. I thought it was the battery, but it seems to be the ignition switch. I cannot believe that a brand new car would have such a problem. I have done a lemon check and fortunately its not listed as a lemon. I am taking it to the dealers tomorrow to get it fixed. Is this a common problem with the Jetta?
    thanks
    PR
  • bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    You can also check out the Hatchbacks
    conference. People in that conference are always having the same debate that you are having with yourself: "Honda Civic or VW Golf".

Your host, Bruce
  • wsommarivawsommariva Member Posts: 157
    I have been reading these post for 10 months and don't believe that I have seen any mention of this problem. Your dealer should be able to diagnoze and fix this quickly.
    It's hard to believe but apparently some cars do use oil at that rate. My VR6 has used about 11 ounces in 10.5 months, which I think is even excessive. Hopefully your car will straighten itself out. Until then, check the oil level often. In the olden days it didn't matter than much since we changed the oil every 3,000 miles anyway.
    Well, a well built fun to car drive would be a BMW, but it's way up there in price. When my SAAB went, the only car I considered was a Jetta GLS VR6 5 speed. It's now 10.5 months old and flawless. No creakes, rattles, etc. Very fun, solid and dependable. It's a trade off between quality, dependability and driving experience. Check out vwvortex.com for some other views.
  • christawchristaw Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a '99 Jetta GL just over a year ago now and have been having a continual problem with it for the past six months. My car is an automatic and it will rev up to 4600 rpm before it will shift! This problem seems to be getting worse and is not apparently fixable, as I have taken it in to get fixed six times now. I've had fuses and the computer replaced, but to no avail. Has anyone else seen this problem?
  • saltysam95saltysam95 Member Posts: 2
    With less than 170 miles on our new 2001 Jetta GLS 1.8T, we started having problems with the adaptive shifting -- the transmission would seem to go into some kind of limp mode, and no engine light would turn on. We were first told that the speed sensor would need to be replaced, and then that the entire transmission would need to be replaced. We made the argument that we should get a new car, not a new transmission, and the dealership and VW seemed to listen. We've been told that we'll have to wait possibly four weeks for a new car exactly like the one we bought; we'd rather wait than drive a lemon! I hope no one else here has to go through the same situation. BTW, we didn't have to complain loudly or make a scene on the showroom floor -- both the dealership and VW seemed to be concerned with making sure we were 'happy customers'. Maybe my viewpoint is a bit skewed, but I expected a lot more resistance.
  • wwevanswwevans Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a 2000 Jetta GLX 5spd. I had an
    Accord that could pull my jet ski just fine, but I
    am now driving a smaller car, but with more power.
    The manufacturer's specs say that the max tongue
    weight for the Jetta is 165lbs. The tongue weight
    that I am dealing with is 3/4th of the max or
    125lbs. My question is there anyone out there that
    pulls anything with their Jetta, especially a 5spd
    GLX? I am not going to mount any hitch on the car
    untill I am fully comfortable that I have broken-in
    the car with the VW specs. Thanks
    I think a better place to ask this question would be in our current Jetta topic over in the Sedans Conference.

Someone around here may have some advice for you, but you will be sure to find lots of recent purchasers of this vehicle in that topic.

You can click on the highlighted link to go there.

Pat
  • gladicheckedgladichecked Member Posts: 93
    I was really excited about the jetta due to it's features and driving performance, but after reading the problems people are having, I think I will pass. I read somewhere the o2 sensor is to blame for most of the problems. I was hoping to find a car that was fun to drive AND reliable. Since I have responsibilites to work and family, I can't afford to have my car in the shop all the time, whether it's covered by warranty or not. Sounds like VW dropped the ball, and has not owned up and done right by their customers. Too bad. I was so close to buying a Jetta, "glad I checked".
  • stevepakestevepake Member Posts: 21
    hey gladichecked...

I think I agree. I'd prefer a fun to drive car, but not at the cost of reliability. Given that I can't fit in a Maxima, I think I'm going for a Camry LE V6 5-speed (to maintain at least SOME fun factor! ;-) When it comes time to buy, I'll look forward to dusting Jettas in my deceptively fast, and rock solid reliable Camry sports sedan. heh heh.
  • saltysam95saltysam95 Member Posts: 2
    I called the sales manager at the dealer about the delivery date yesterday -- I was told now that it may take more than 3 months! I thought this was ridiculous so I called the VW customer service line and spoke to the same representative I did before. I was told that they were still researching the issue -- that they were not aware that the dealer had resolved anything. I was also told that, yes, I had been told it would take a long time to replace the car and it was implied that I ought to think about taking the car with the replaced transmission. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and I was told no-one was available to talk to me, and that I'll receive a call within 24 hours. Has anyone been in a situation like this before with VW? Is over three months a reasonable period of time to wait? I had also been told by the dealer that the car had been ordered and was now in production. My understanding from what I've read is that VW doesn't deal with it's dealers in this fashion. I'm losing patience and have just filed a complaint against VW with the BBB. I had spoken to a lawyer earlier about using what I believe is called a 'rejection after delivery' clause in the UCC, and I'm beginning to think that perhaps this is the way to go. If anyone out there has some sound advice, I'd love to hear it! Thanks!
  • ticktick Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about purchasing a 1.8T. Does anyone happen to know any good direct online buying sites that I can check? Also, what would be a good price to pay for a base model, no options? Thanks
    I suggest you check over in our Smart Shopper conference for answers to those questions. You can use the Topic Search feature on the left side of the page for Jetta, and there are several topics there on online services such as carsdirect, autobytel, carorder, greenlight, etc.

Pat
  • mtownsendmtownsend Member Posts: 26
    I would be very careful when dealing with VWoA, they will push you along with false promises, until the lemon law has passed, I started with my problems a 5K, by 25K the had done absolutely nothing, 4 district manager inspections were broken, on the one and only time at 24K they declared that I had been wasting their time, and that now my car was out of warranty I was on my own, so I sold the car at 25K and took a big loss.
    They have no intention of doing anything for you, take them to lemon law NOW and get a refund. Then go and by a car with less problems.
    BTW My complaint was also the transmission.
  • bad96jettaglbad96jettagl Member Posts: 1
    I bought the car at 39,000 miles and the "check engine" light went on AS I WAS DRIVING OFF THE LOT! (no joke) It was the timing belt and the dealer fixed it. At 42,000 miles, the clutch went out. Fought with the dealer for a few days until they finally fixed it. Now at 44,000 miles, the STEERING RACK needs to be replaced and my trustworthy mechanics (Germans trained at the VW factory in Germany) have told me it is unsafe to drive. THIS IS RIDICULOUS! I plan to fight with the dealer again, and also to get VWoA involved--but after reading all of the previous messages about extreme disappoinment with VWoA, I sadly realize they may not give a hoot. Anyone have any advice? Sounds like Honda is definitely the way to go. I've also been eyeing the Subaru Legacy Outback too--anyone have any feedback on Subarau?
  • mtownsendmtownsend Member Posts: 26
    Seems like there are a lot of common problems out there, one of the other major failings on my 99.5 car was, yes you guessed it, the steering rack and steering column failed at 20K, this was replaced at 24K. It took many calls to VWoA, a change of dealer and a district manager visit, all this to persuade them that the steering was even faulty. It didn't seem to bother them that the car drove where it chose to go, the steering had play in it, or that the tires were wearing badly on the edges. You would think that these signs might be a clue to the problem, but it took 3 visits to 2 dealers and eventually 9 days off the road to fix.
  • monsieurdieselmonsieurdiesel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 00 Jetta GLS-VR6 5-speed which I really love...I noticed wsommariva has had no troubles yet after 10.5 months. I haven't either...except for the fact that I bought the car used (with 1200 miles) and the clutch had been severly damaged during those 1200 miles) (according to the guys at my 5k mile checkup) and so I needed a new clutch and fly wheel. Other than that, has anyone noticed tire squealing after taking corners rated at 25 at 35?
    I always thought that that was due to in-correct tire pressure.
  • ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    "and so I needed a new clutch
    and fly wheel."

And that's not considered trouble?! holy cow...

it prolly comes with crappy tires. All OE tires suck!
  • dxmanddxmand Member Posts: 4
    i own a 2000 gls vr6 that i've been putting regular gas in. it's drives fine and i haven't heard any pinging of any kind. the vw manual and several other resources recommend regular gas, but my gas tank cap and a posting that i read earlier say to use premium gas. does anyone know for sure what kind of gas i need to use in the VR6? thanks
  • dgrillodgrillo Member Posts: 4
    You need to use 91 Octane fuel in your V6. The car will run on lower octane but you lose power and performance. I alternate between 93 and 89 Octane when the gas tank reads half way. This averages out to 91 Octane and you don't have to buy premium every time saving a few cents.
  • tonybsetonybse Member Posts: 4
    Hi, i've just bought a VW Jetta, 1992. I need to know a reliable mechanic located near to Addsion, IL. Do you know somebody? Thanks in advance.
    Tony
  • eduardojr5eduardojr5 Member Posts: 3
    Hello all - I need some advice (i don't know anything about cars):

Info that may be relevant:
    1) Purchased the car about 1 year ago
    2) 25,000 miles on it
    3) Most of the driving is on the highway, however I do take it to NYC every weekend and put on about 150 on it per month in NYC.
    4) Have run over a handful of pot holes and bumps throughout the year

I've recently had my 2000 Jetta GLS in the VW shop and had to replace 1) Rear brake rotors and pads (made low screaching sound when braking) and 2) fan belt (engine seemed louder than usual).

Question: Is the recommended work acceptable with the problems I've specified in parenthesis. I paid almos $700 for parts and labor, is this reasonable and common to the maintenance of Jettas or am I getting ripped-off?

thank you in advance for any insights you can give?
  • seasaltseasalt Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone! I have a Jetta GLS VR6 5spd with about 7000 miles on it. Since the first few hundred miles, my brakes have also been making a low screaching noise. This only happens when breaking at slow speeds. The mechanic at the 5000k check-up said it was due to a new kind of break pads that they use and the amount of moisture (I live right next to the ocean). They didn't need to be replaced. When I turn sharp corners my car kind of squeaks (it is not the tires) Does anyone else have this problem?
  • chargerrtchargerrt Member Posts: 1
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a set of expensive brake rotors should cost no more than $150, a set of rear pads are about $40, and a fan belt should be about $25. It should take no more than 1.5 hours to put this on. Assume a "fair" shop rate of $40/hour (unheard of in a big area) and you're looking at $265.

I was going to buy a TDI Jetta for a commuter. I'm starting to lean against that decision.

Jim
  • clairemoclairemo Member Posts: 1
    I have so far been incredibly pleased with my 99.5 VW Jetta GL except for...the grease leaking out of the doors..and some falling roofliner..and what seems to be "unfixable" airbags. The second day i drove my new car the airbag light came on. I took it in to the dealer sat around for two hours and they "fixed it" there were "electrical" problems. A few months later...you guessed it the airbag light came back on .. i had around 8k miles and took my car in for an oilchange and to get the airbags fixed. Went to pick up my car that day...airbag light is still on but supposedly it was fixed...Sooo I wait until I take my car in for its next oil change and ask about the airbag the clerk tells me that unknown to me a part was ordered for my airbags last time i brought it in. So I left my car over the weekend and the airbags were "fixed" some spring was reconnected. One day later...THE AIR BAG LIGHT IS BACK ON. I called the dealer and they said they cant fit me in until the 21st of september. Obviously I am really mad...this is there problem they were supposed to fix it why should i sit around and wait weeks while i have potentially faulty airbags in my car. Does anyone know much about the lemon law? Do Airbag faults constitue a "serious" problem under the law. I am going to be at 24k in a few months so i want to get this problem taken care of ASAP. I will go to the dealer tomorrow and *demand* to get the airbags looked at before the 21st. But does anyone know what my legal options are? and is it really worth it?
    Thanks Much,
    Claire
    Why don't you have a look at this topic in our Smart Shopper Conference:

Lemon Laws: Links to Most State Laws

I think that topic will connect you up with everything you need, but there are other topics throughout Town Hall on this subject that may be of interest to you. You can find them by using the Topic Search feature on the left side of this page for lemon law.

Good luck.

Pat
  • eduardojr5eduardojr5 Member Posts: 3
    thanks for the response.

any idea of a free site and/or organization to call where i can enter parts and labor and the site/org. will generate a fair estimate so this will not happen again?

also, besides bitching at the dealership and VW maintenance manager, is there any other suggested actions I can take to get my $$$ back and avoid having others go through the same situation...

is it me or are the 2000 models are a piece of *$&@?
  • janeenjaneen Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Jetta GLS V6 last August. From the very beginning the transmission has "lurched" on occasion when accelerating. The first couple of times it really scared me because the car would actually kick back some when I was accelerating. The mechanics for VW say that this is common in VW Jetta's. Seems like a transmission problem waiting to happen to me.
    Last week I brought my Jetta in for the 12month maintenance and because my air conditioner BROKE! They claimed they fixed it but the very next day it broke again! Has anyone had this problem?
    After reading everyone else's problems and having some problems myself with a one year old car I am ready to sell it. I think I would do better with a more reliable car like Acura or Honda.
    Janeen
  • jeffwill1jeffwill1 Member Posts: 1
    This is a list of the problems I had with my New Jetta GLS. The defroster on the outside mirrors broke and had to be replaced. Then the selenoid went out. Next came the antenna which quit receiving and needed to be replaced. Next the power window lift on drivers side broke and had to be replaced. Then the brake lights went out and the center seat belt jammed after I put the rear seats down. The power for the gas cap went out and never worked again. The brake lights went out again, there was a full months wait on the part since there were over 3000 of these brake light switches on backorder from Germany. The rear center seat belt jammed again. I just decided not to get that fixed. Then the power window lift mech on the passenger side went out. The mechanic said it is a very common problem on Jetta's due to the cheapness of the part. The car was in the shop on average once every 45 days over the 16 months that I had it. I just sold it and went back to a Jeep Cherokee. PS the car sputtered when shifting from first to second. And the dash mounted cup holder is cheaply made and in a terrible place since condensation from a drink drips down into the power point (cigarett lighter). I do not recommend this car to anyone unless they enjoy spending time at the service dept.
  • cjw2cjw2 Member Posts: 1
    I've had numerous problems with my 96 Jetta Trek. To begin with, I've had the "typical" Jetta issues - problematic O2 sensor, starter that sticks all the time, cruise control and windshield wipers that work about half the time, etc. However, my two biggest problems are whoppers.

About 1.5 years ago, while turning the key, the battery exploded. The dealership never figured out why this happened, but somehow they ruled out the starter or the electrical system. VWoA was totally indifferent about the situation, despite the obvious safety concerns I had. I might add that these guys have some major customer service issues to deal with - WOW. Nevertheless, I went along with their conclusion, thinking that it could possibly have been the battery (even though it was factory installed).

Well, wouldn't you know it; last week while my dad was driving my car, the battery again exploded when he turned the key. Unbelievable! Once again the dealership is dumbfounded. They would like me to believe that it was another faulty battery. I can't even imagine the odds of having two faulty (VW!) batteries blow up in the same car. Oh, and by the way, the check engine light came on 2 days later. I haven't been able to figure out that one yet because the service dept. has been closed for the holiday weekend.

Anyway, I haven't had the opportunity to share this new experience with VWoA, but I'm not really expecting them to be very helpful. If anyone has an explanation as to why my batteries are blowing up, I'd like to hear it. This makes me very nervous. I've only heard of this happening 2 other times in 96 Jettas. Once, the battery exploded and the car caught on fire (from the nhtsa website). The second was post #439.

On a personal note, I have to say that Jettas are fun to drive, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I purchase another VW. It's just not worth all the headaches and safety issues.
  • seballrseballr Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone have problems with their new Jetta? I'm considering buying the turbo diesel and live in Cleveland, Ohio. Any problems starting the turbodiesel in the cold?? Thanks.
  • jeff164jeff164 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

First of all, I LOVE my new Jetta!!! Got a 2000 GLS VR6 w. black leather and spoiler about 2 months ago. Man, it's an awesome car!

Anyway, I'm pretty new on stick, but I feel I'm doing quite well with it now. The problem I have seemed to pop up this weekend. All of a sudden, I can't seem to shift from 1st to 2nd without grinding the gears. You get that horrible noise and can feel it through the shifter. I can't figure out what I'm doing differently from the past 2 months, but a friend drove it last night (not for very long, though), and didn't have that problem. I haven't seen anything related to this on this list, so the evidence seems to point to me. But I have to shift SOOO carefully into 2nd (cringing as I do), and the rest of the gears are fine. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? And I'm about due for my 5k mi. oil change. Should I have them check it out while it's at the dealership?

-Jeff
  • CooperCooper Member Posts: 55
    For a similar discussion on 1-2 VW gear grind, check out the postings in the past few weeks under the VW GTI topic in the Hatchbacks discussion group.
  • wkrpwkrp Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying the 2000 Jetta GL, but after reading these problems, I'm beginning to rethink my purchase. Should I consider another vehicle such as a Honda. (I just love all the standard options on the Jetta!)
  • hngingon2lnghngingon2lng Member Posts: 1
    In the beginning...

There was happiness.

I purchased my VW Jetta IV in June of 1999...a decision that was very well researched...(as much as a new car can be). I test drove every car that fit within my price range and appeal list...

The finalists: 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 1999 Volkswagen Jetta

Well, after 4 days of ebb and flow on price negotiations at the Jeep dealership, I said the hell with this and went to my local VW dealership (Rusty Walis - Dallas, TX). I again test drove a Jetta...base model...no frills....got a mile away from the dealership and said..."this is my car". Loved it!! Got back to the dealership and picked out a Bright Green 5-spd GLS with the in-dash CD player and the sunroof/Avus rim package. I didn't even know about the "indiglo" lights. Loved the car...LOVED IT!!!

then...stuff started happening.

Some sunroof issues...
    Headliner cleanings from the sunroof issues...
    nothing big.

Until I was doing 80 on 635 (psychotic expressway in Dallas) and my serv. eng light came on, the car's power shut down leaving no acceleration, little on the brakes and no steering...took the car out of gear...every light in the car flashed on and everything went back to normal (tell-tale first sign). Took it into the dealership...turned out to be the on-board chip...replaced...everything fine (from that point, I lost the new cool car under 5,000 mile delirium).

then...

1. more problems with the headliner. (cleaned)
    2. the rear seatbelt locked mysteriously
    (replaced...with one that sags and looks like
    they pulled it off of a salvage vehicle)
    3. The in-dash CD player was loose...(fixed-so I
    thought)
    4. CD-player again...(replaced clips - so I
    thought)
    5. Rear drink holder and ashtray broke...
    (replaced)
    6. Driver side power window mount broken...
    (replaced)
    7. Driver side window...chipped from falling from
    its cradle...(unrepaired/unreplaced)
    8. Cd PLayer III...the revenge...(switched
    places with the stereo...seems to be fixed)

All of these problems, and barely over a year...great!! Called VWoA...no help, no care, no nothing...just basically asked me what I expected them to do. I said very calmly..."I don't know...maybe stand behind something that you sell..." ... dial tone. They hung up!!

Talked to the General manager at the dealership (that would be Rusty Walis - Dallas, TX). Told him about my problems...his response...(note the quotations) "Wow!! That sucks. Yeah, that normally doesn't happen, but...you know...they've got you're car back there in wash and prep...maybe you'll feel a little different towards it when it's cleaned up".

What is that crap...
    Besides, I got it back and it looked worse than when I brought it in.

Which brings us to today...
    A/C is going out. Jetta is at 24,043 on the odometer. Called and talked with a "service consultant" to ask if I could get my car in and still get the work done under warranty...(called the week before...they couldn't get me in...which I mentioned) His response (again note the quotes)..."No, sir...no extention on your warranty" (I pleed my case further) "Well, looks to me like you should have bought the extended warranty...you know...that is why they offer that at the time of purchase"

You're right...If I'd known I was buying problem filled car, I wouldn't have bought it. He ended up hanging up on me, too!

The major point to all of this is, this information wasn't available to me when I purchased my vehicle...had it have been...I probably wouldn't have. I love the car, just hate the head-ache.

Yes, a portion of these complaints are simply cosmetic...but...that's one to two days off of work or struggling to make other arrangements to my schedule/my life that I thought I was avoiding by buying a new car. (20 days without my car due to repair/service)

The service definitely did not come close to expectation...
    the car has already littered the road of my expectaion with several let-downs.
  • seballrseballr Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the response to my inquiry (#517). I currently have a 1994 Honda Accord. I'm logging about 60 miles/day to and from work so I need a reliable commuter car with better than average gas mileage. Sounds like from the comments and previous postings that the VW Jetta doesn't sound that reliable. I'm nervous in buying one now. I might just stick with the Hondas. I understand that the Civic will have a new body style in 2001. I might as well wait.
  • bub4bub4 Member Posts: 2
    Have 2001 Jetta 1.8T/automatic-lovely car-black w/beige leather(highly recomended!)Traded in Acura Integra 5-speed w/60,000 trouble-free miles. VW 1.8T feels like it has better acceleration even with the automatic! Has anyone experienced what seems to be a momentary loss of power,(say,2+seconds),when you are pulling out in front of a Mack truck and the engine seems to "doze off" for a bit? I know about turbo-lag but this has specifically occurred only a few times(just enough to cause me to increase my life insurance!); also, at light throttle when the shift into high gear occurs, the engine seems to "pull back", and hesitate before continuing on as normal. Otherwise the car runs and drives fantastically with great build quality,super interior and "mini-Mercedes" style. Just wanted to check in before I go to the dealer and am told that "they all do that".
  • gharitosgharitos Member Posts: 2
    VW's made in Mexico have extremely poor quality control. I strongly recommend staying away from those vehicles. It's just a matter of time before things begin to come apart. Good Luck to anyone who has one of these vehicles.
  • pyahnigpyahnig Member Posts: 1
    Hello all...I currently have a 2000 a4 2.8. I have a lot of problems with it. It is at 25K now, and have 4 major problems, from gas leak, to issues with the rotors. I want to get out of the car bad, before I lose to much more money with the miles. I am looking at the Jetta GLX or the Passat GLX. Any one have comments about the A4 vs. the Jetta?????
    Thanks for the insight.
    Paul
    pyahnig@home.com
  • pogofxpogofx Member Posts: 6
    Bub4 - the hesitation you are experiencing may be the result of the computer programming for the 1.8T (I also own one). As you may or may not be aware, the 1.8T engine is capable of producing a lot more power. The same engine and turbocharger in the Audi TT produces 180hp in one version and 200+hp in another version. I've read a couple of articles which call your hesitation a "hole" in the acceleration. The computer allows the turbo to spool up quickly in anticipation of your request for power (when you first start pressing the gas) and then backs off (saying you are only a 150hp engine). Don't know if this is what you are feeling, but there is a great solution that I recommend to all 1.8T owners . . .

GET THE CHIP!

I just had the Garret chip installed in my 1.8T. If you thought your 1.8T was quick then think again. Completely different car (193 HP with only the chip). Absolutely smoke the VR6's - not even close. Feel the power the engine was designed to produce. Remember this is the same block, injectors, and turbo running in the Audi TT's. Can't push the pedal all the way down without spinning the wheels - insane. Had a socket installed also which allow me to replace my stock chip (a must if your dealer is not "chip friendly") Takes about 30 minutes to swap chips from start to finish. I let the salesman who sold me my car drive it today and it blew him away - had a grin from ear to ear.

WHEELS FOR SALE - Can't keep the tires from spinning! Upgrading to 17 inchers. Selling my stock 15 inch alloys with Michelan tires mounted. Rims and tires have 5K on them. Accepting offers. Easy upgrade for those silly 14 inch wheels. E-mail me with questions or for pictures.

Lex YellowJacket@mailroom.com
    Your best bet would be to take a look at the various topics in our Sedans conference on all three vehicles you mention. An easy way to find them is to use the Topic Search feature on the left side of the page, once for each model.

Good luck.

Pat