Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Hi all,

Here's the story. We just got a standard oil change on Saturday at a non-dealership garage. On Sunday the car began to overheat. We parked it at home, and checked the coolant. The coolant level seemed okay. We checked again maybe an hour later, and the coolant was definitely leaking. The level dropped substantially and we could see the coolant dripping down to the garage floor from the front bumper.

We have an appointment to bring the Jetta (a 2000 GLS with about 80k) back into the garage. However, to even drive it there, we need to refill the coolant.

The manual says: "Never use any coolant other than G 12 A8D additive... This coolant is available at your VW dealer... under no circumstance may G12 A8D be mixed with other coolant additives (for example G 11)."

My main question is: what the heck does "G 12 A8D" mean? We stopped by the auto shop to pick up some coolant. None of the coolant bottles had any markings even remotely resembling that code. We bought a bottle of Prestone DEX-COOL, which I think is orange-colored stuff. The coolant that had been leaking out of the car was orange too.

Can anyone offer any advice on whether or not the coolant we bought is fine for a jetta? Is it absolutely imperative to use "G12 A8D" or is this just VW trying to milk us for more cash?

Thanks a ton.
  • deaner14deaner14 Member Posts: 40
    Don't know what G 12 A8D means, but I can tell you my mechanic told me NEVER combine another coolant with VW's or else the coolant will gel.
  • lilafaerielilafaerie Member Posts: 4
    I just did a quick search on google searching G12 A8D and it came up with a bunch of forums with the same discussion. Try checking those out. One thing that I did notice is that it says NOT to mix with Dexcool... Hope that helps some. This doesn't seem to be a hoax.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Sorry to report, but you should NEVER use DEX-COOL in a VW. If I were you I would remove the incorrect coolant and replace with the correct VW specified coolant.

Since the manual says "Never use any coolant other than G 12 A8D additive"...why did you use DEX-COOL?
  • blinebline Member Posts: 3
    Can you tell me how you resolved your trunk issues?
    I have a 2000 Jetta. Whenever I open and close the driver's door the trunk unlatches. Repair shop has been unable to figure it out so far.

Thanks!
    Can you guys tell me how you resolved your trunk problem?
    I have a 2000 Jetta. The trunk unlatches whenever I get in the car. Have looked at the sensors in the trunk and drivers door but have been unable to find the problem.

Help!
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    I commend you for actually READING your owners manual. 8-)

Actually, you will be "milked for cash" if you DO NOT use G12.... you have been warned. G12 coolant is available at any diecent forigen autoparts store.

If it is leaking "orange" coolant... the system is already compromized and needs to be totally flushed with distilled water.

For now - It is OK to add DISTILLED WATER to the cooling system for the short trip to the shop.

Also make CERTAIN that they use only G12 antifreeze when they are done fixing the leak. Using any other antifreeze can lead to problems down the road.

If it is not floricent pink when they return the car to you... it has the wrong coolant in it.

Here are several links to photos of the G12-approved antifreeze. It is produced by several companies.

http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/images/parts/g12plus15.jpg
    http://www.germanautoparts.com/displayimage.php?file=060523170808G1
    http://www.pap-parts.com/images/g001200.jpg
    http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENANCMOMobil_Antifreeze_Advanced.a- sp
  • bobbajettabobbajetta Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Jetta with 153,000 miles on it and here is a quick explanation of my problems. I ran over something on the road before I entered onto the highway. Everything seemed ok so I proceeded onto the highway. After a few miles the engine coolant light came on and the engine started to over heat. I pulled the side of the road, turned the engine off, and let it cool down for a while. I started back on the road and a few miles down the engine started to overheat again. I repeated the same steps but this time the engine would not turn on again. I ended up having to have the car towed. We found a hole in the radiator which caused the coolant leak.

Before I decide to have the car looked at and fixed I was wondering if there is a sensor in the radiator which might cause the engine not to start if the coolant is not at a certain level. If anyone might have a clue if there is a sensor or maybe another idea why the car won't start, you expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • miller05miller05 Member Posts: 1
    i recently bought a 99 jetta wolfsburg 2.0 5 speed. When accelerating it does not seem to have much power at all. I just replaced the plugs & wires but it did not help. Any ideas anyone?
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    How about using a bottle of fuel injector cleaner?

If that doesn't work you may need new injectors.

It could also be as simple as a clogged -never replaced? air filter.
    You did not mention how many miles are on it. But your MAF warantee was volentarilly extended by VW on that vehicle.( http://users.adelphia.net/~peebsrus/MAF-Refund-Page1.jpg )

One thing you can try is to pull the connector off of the MAF and leave disconnected... .then start the engine and go for a drive. (The CEL may come on... ignore it) If you now have your power back... the MAF is bad and needs to be replaced.
  • gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Thanks, all, for the feedback. Unfortunately, we had to leave for the garage before I could check, so the DEX-COOl was added. So I guess the whole system will have to be flushed (which we were expecting anyway).

At any rate, the Goodyear we took the car to was apparently clueless. They claimed they could fix the problem by replacing the thermostat and flushing the system. After an entire day, they finally admitted they had no idea.

So the car has been sitting idle in our garage for several days. Ironically, when I went to drive my fiance to work in my own car (a Toyota), it got a flat on the highway.

Why did we use Dex-Cool when the manual said not to? As I mentioned, we looked at an auto-store and saw nothing remotely resembling G12 A8D. Besides, many car manuals say something like: "always use x-brand replacement parts only in your x-car," which is often rubbish.

This is one reason we probably won't be getting another VW in the future. The car design is nice, reliability has been almost average, but maintennace is such a pain. It seems like you almost HAVE to rely on a dealership to get service, and they charge a LOT (ie $50-60) for routine oil changes. Outside of dealerships, only a few specialty shops are competent to work on VWs, and there's really no way to tell which are in fact competent.

On that note, if anyone can recommend a reputable and competent VW shop in the DC area, please let me know. For some reason, I see tons of MB specialty shops around here, but hardly any VW. We already have an appointment with a dealership, but I assume and expect that they will charge a monstrous sum for all the work.

Thanks.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    One reason oil changes are expensive is, if they are using the correct oil, it is a synthetic.

Since you seem to be aware that most places do not know how to work on VWs, why take it to Goodyear in the first place. Since you say the color was wrong before you added anything, could it be that goodyear topped you off with the wrong coolant?

Makes me wonder how much of VWs bad reputation for "reliability" is due to misguided attempts to save a few bucks on maintenance.
    Here are 2 links to "dealership ratings". Perhaps you can find one near you.

http://1.8t.org/dealers/
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044
  • dmarr35dmarr35 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me were to start to find why my heated seats don't work it is a 1997 Jetta gtx.If anyone can give me an idea where to test etc I would appreciate it.
    Thank You
  • psu91psu91 Member Posts: 4
    Hello Folks,

I recently just bought a 2007 VW Jetta 2.5, and there is a noise from the rear of the car, sounds like a very noisy fuel pump, like a pulsating noise, sometimes loud and sometimes soft, but you can hear very well when stopped. I returned it to the dealer and they listened to the noise and said it was the fuel pump, so they replaced the fuel pump and the noise is STILL there. Has anybody heard this noise, the car only has 300 miles on it.

Thanks,
    Jim :confuse:
  • conessconess Member Posts: 15
    I have an 06 Jetta 2.5 and apparently, this is something new on the models. When you open the driverside door, there will be a buzzing noise (which primes the pump). After you start it, you may hear a "gulping" noise, like you would when you pump gas into the car. Apparently, that is "normal," I asked the same question to the dealer. Very interesting that they would replace the fule pump though :confuse:
  • angkandangkand Member Posts: 3
    Hi. We bought an '02 Jetta 1.8T two months ago. 73K miles. MIL light was on when we test drove, but the manager at dealership is a friend and assured us it would be fixed. Since then both front and rear O2 sensors were replaced and all vacuum hoses also replaced. This weekend MIL came on again and the car is now at the shop. Dealership(not a VW) has been GREAT about fixing at no cost to us, but won't for much longer. We are now debating whether to sell it or cross our fingers that nothing else will go wrong. We have loved the car otherwise. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks
  • mrichey00mrichey00 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with a 2003 Jetta...Did you find out the answer to the problem
    Have you tried looking at your fuse box for a blown fuse?

Open the driver's door. There's a little door in the side of the dashboard. Open the door in the dash and there are all of your fuses with a diagram as to which fuse goes to what part of the car.

Check the fuse for the heated seats.

Good luck!
  • 1vwman1vwman Member Posts: 14
    If you used aftermarket plugs and not bosch or ngk your car will not perform well. Vw's hate aftermarket platinum plugs the most.
    sheck the sunroof drains in the front door hinge areas...i cut them to be open it works best
    1st try this...key on engine not running, push accel to the floor and hold 15 sec...then let up start car and drive this sets the trans basic settings if that does not fix have dealer take a atf sample and i bet it is burnt and needs a trans overhaul...
    your water pumo blades that pump the water have cracked and when below 3k rpm the pump is not spinning fast so the plastic blades grab on the shaft and pump and when you speed up the blades slip and it over heats you need a tear down of the pump and most likley need it changed or check your fan fuses on the bat cover..
    very common, its eather a vac leak(under the intake manifold) or a mass air meter...
    check your brake light switch...
    your relay is the Hazard switch...very common problem
  • psu91psu91 Member Posts: 4
    Yeah, well I am not sure they "really" replaced the fuel pump or not. You are right , when I open the door the pump primes itself and thats ok, but WOW that sound is pretty annoying. I am going back to the dealer, this week and am going to jump them about the sound again, i'll update the post if I get any different result.

Thanks,
    Jim
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    i think it is pretty inexcusible to be haveing these noise problems with a brand new car.but then again,my cousin out in san diego who works for a chevy dealer as a service advisor says he sees brand new $50,000 corvettes come back to the dealer within days of being purchased for one problem or another.
  • clara_jettaclara_jetta Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am very new at driving (~3 months), so please forgive my ignorance/naivete with cars and car problems. I would greatly appreciate it if someone can help me and guide me with useful advice.

I recently purchased a brand-new 2006 Value Edition Jetta and have been driving it for just over 4000 miles now. When I test-drove the car, I noticed some white smoke coming out of the exhaust when I started the car (it soon went away). The salesperson said that it is normal(?) for a brand new car and that it'll go away eventually. I still occasionally see the white smoke coming out (I only notice it sometimes when I am waiting for the lights to change, and it goes away
    after a while).

Is it normal that I see white smoke coming out of the exhaust occasionally? Just today I checked the exhaust (first time looking carefully at the rearend of the car... I know, I need to take care of my car better) and saw some black stains that indicate that something has leaked from the exhaust (never looked at the exhaust of any other car before, so maybe this is normal too)...

About a month and a half ago, I also had a problem not being able to start my car. This happened when my car was at around 2000 miles. I'll try to describe this in more detail. I left my car parked with headlights ON w/o knowing and shopped at a store for about an hour. I came back, noticed my car lights were on, unlocked my car, turned off the headlights, and used the key to start the car. First off, I couldn't step onto the BREAK to start the car. The car key wouldn't turn at all, so I couldn't start the engine either.

I ended up calling Roadside Assistance to get help, and they said that it wasn't the BATTERY problem, but maybe that my car is "locked" in parking or something REALLY bad mechanically with the car. So they called a towing truck to tow my car. When the towing guy came, he took my keys to try and see if the car would start, and it STARTED!!!

Since the car started fine and didn't seem to have any other problem, I just took my car home without going to get it serviced. Since then, I haven't had any problems starting the car.

I am worried if I am missing all the "hints" pointing to bad car problems in the future because I am not at all knowlegeable about cars. Should I try to get it fixed/do something about it while I still have the 12k/1yr warranty that's more comprehensible than the 48k/4yrs warranty?

My engine sounds(?) fine, I have no other significant problems with my car, and my mileage/fuel economy seems okay too (~350 when the bar is near E).

I apologized for sounding very incompetent(?). I am an engineer after all, so I should know better. Thank you very much for reading, and I'll appreciate any help I can get.
  • jordanwjordanw Member Posts: 3
    I am the owner of a body shop who does work for a local VW dealer. In the previous generation Jetta (1999.5 to 2005) with sunroofs the drains get clogged with debris. This goes unnoticed for a long time because VW uses good carpeting and sound absorber so the water will not show up until ultra saturated. If you are experienceing this leak take it to the dealer to be fixed because the carpet has to be taken out to get all the water out, also doors sometime have to be taken off to access a clogged sunroof drain. I have fixed many Jettas with this problem and am suprisied that they have not been recalled for this problem
  • waiwai Member Posts: 325
    In your opinion, if the clogged drainage has been cleared and fixed. Will the drainage by clogged again in future and how soon?
  • cacorbcacorb Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the insight on the water leak with the 02 Jetta. I took it to the dealer, they fixed a previously "unidentified" leak on the opposite side of the "windshield," and then charged me for a problem I did not bring it to the dealer for. I have since gone back to the dealership, complained, and called the Service Manager to get no response. So, today, my car is sitting in a parking garage because I can't leave my car out in the rain! I am furious too because the dealership is very demeaning and rude in their dealings with me in regard to this incident.
  • tookanestookanes Member Posts: 1
    Are you getting the water in your back seat. It sounds like I am having the same issue. My driver side passanger floor is wet and I am getting the mildew smell.
  • peteygpeteyg Member Posts: 1
    2005 Jetta automatic

This is the 2nd time this has happened:

-when I start the car all the gears are lit on my display - P R N D S - and even if I put it in D they are all lit. Usually the display shows 6 5 4 3 2 1 when it is in D.

-the car drive drives in manual mode? even though I am at D? I notice the D light on the actual gear selector doesn't light?

-I put the car back in P and turn off the car BUT I CANNOT REMOVE THE KEY!!!, and again all the gears are lit on my display - P R N D S!

What is happening?

1st time I was able to get the key out by turning the car on & off and by chance it came out. This time the key is stuck in the car and won't come out.

Please help!!!

THANKS!!
  • pruzinkpruzink Member Posts: 112
    After you turn your car off, if the steering wheel is in the locked hard right or left position it will prevent you from removing the key from the ignition. Just move it a tad off of the hard right or left and remove key. Can't help you with your light display question. I have an 04 with the tiptronic automatic transmision. The only time that mine displays the number of the gear (only 1 through 5) is if I am in the manual shifting mode. In normal automatic mode it shows P R N D 4 3 2.
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    That happened to me on my 1999, or 2000 Passat, can't remember the exact year.

It happened in a parking garage on the way to work. As I memember I had push the gear shift lever forward (in park) and hold it there applying forward pressure, that did the trick (it's by accident that I discovered this). It only happened that once though.
  • cacorbcacorb Member Posts: 6
    The one time my car was flooded with about an inch of rain in the interior, it was originating from the front and had gone all the way back to the rear floor board on the driver's side. I immediately wet vacuumed the area but the stench makes the car smell like cat urine.
  • bf109acebf109ace Member Posts: 77
    Re: '96 Jetta -Engine Breakdown- Coil or Fuel Pump Problem? Please Help!

MY Jetta broke down without any warning. I was able to restart the engine and drove it to a nearby lot (10 ft away) . The engine ran for about 10 minutes and when I stepped on the gas, the engine died again.

I was able to restart the engine a few times. However, whenever I started to put my foot on the gas, the engine died.

Eventually, the engine ran erratically and I could see sparks coming out of the coil (where there is a plug attach to one end and the other end goes to the distribution cap). It just stopped on itself.

FYI, my Jetta is prone to moisture. Whenever it rains, I have a hard time starting the engine. Usually, I've to wait for a few hours and let it (wires, maybe) dry.

Is this fuel supply problem (i.e. failed fuel pump) or electrical problem? Thanks for your help.
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    The same thing happened to me with my 1997 when I first purchased it.

Check the coil for cracks (common for the 1993-1998 model year VWs with the 2.0L 4-cylinder). If a crack is visible, replace the coil.

I purchased a new coil for my 1997 and installed it. Problem solved.
  • bf109acebf109ace Member Posts: 77
    600kgofgt, thanks for your response.

Is this an expensive repair? How much was the part (coil)? Is it possible to DIY? Or I have to have my Jetta towed to a garage and have it replaced? Thanks.
    Depending ou your engine-code the coil is between $70 and $130 at WORLD IMPEX

I would consider it a DYI installation. No special tools are needed and it is pretty easy to get at.

Dont forget, depending on your engine code, your 1996 Jetta may also have DISRTIBUTER and ROTOR. I would suggest those may be more likely a problem before spending money on coil. (worldimpex has these parts too)

In any case, you are now kind of "under the gun" because you have allowed the problem to get so bad.

May I suggest -in the future- If you do not want to get stranded it is a VERY good idea to correct issues when they are minor instead of waiting. It ALWAYS costs less (in time and money) if you fix a problem on YOUR schedule.... Yes, I had to lean this the hard way myself 8-)
  • pruzinkpruzink Member Posts: 112
    My daughter had a similar problem with her 01 Jetta. After leaving the car in an airport parking lot on a weekend when it poured, the car ran very poorly at idle and would stall. I put a new set of spark plug wires and changed the plugs but it still did it. It was worse on humid or rainy days so I was pretty sure that it was high voltage spark related so next I changed the coil pack. THat solved the problem. You can get a spray bottle with water and mist your coil pack to verify if it creates the problem. The coil pack was quite easy to change.
  • jupiterbayjupiterbay Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 Jetta is waiting for me at the dealership service shop and I'm about to be $400 lighter as they discovered the source of my flooded passenger floor is a result of this stupid clogged sunroof gutters. I am calling it a design flaw but they call it an external force.

I am 6 months past my extended warranty (not sure this would've been included anyway) so I am out of luck. I appealing to VW Canada and will escalate it as far as needed.

Has anyone managed to get VW to pick up the tab on this manufacturer's defect?
    um-- all sunroofs have a drain of some type. Just because yours got plugged up is not really VWs (or your) fault.

You could have cleaned the plugged hose yourself but chose to pay somone to do it for you. As the saying goes "you pay for convenience"

How can you even consider blaming VW for this? They have 100,000s of sunroofs installed in VW and AUDI vehicles all over the world and none of them see this as a "design flaw" or "manufacturer's defect". In fact, many people see the VW/AUDI sunroof design as an example of great German engineering.

In the future, watch where you park and be cognizant of
    debris getting into the drain. Your owners manual even WARNS of this happening and suggests an inspection of the sunroof components as one of the maintenance items.

I parked under a streetlamp once... there was bird poop all over my car when I got out of work that day. Did I consider suing the City for putting the streetlamp there? NO!... but I have never parked under a streetlamp ever again either.

My daughter left her Golf sunroof (and all windows) open when a severe thunderstorm hit... Her poor Golf had water pouring out of it when she opened the door... perhaps she should have blamed VW for a design flaw because the drains in the floorboards were not big enough... LOL
  • sandeja77sandeja77 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue. All gears light up at once than after time will show what gear they are in but always stay in 3rd. Overdrive will not get shifted into. I can manual shift and the tranny will shift except into overdrvie. No check engine light shows up so no Trouble codes that can be pulled. seane79 have you found out the issue.
  • mcserimcseri Member Posts: 16
    I have 110k on my 2000 Jetta. Its been everywhere in the United States. Currently, I am driving it without a working horn, catalytic converter is busted and now I have discovered a possible new problem.

Lately, I feel like when I press down on the gas, Im not getting the full power like I used to. Instead, I am only getting about 90 percent power from the engine. The car drive greats but should I be worried? Is this a transmission problem. Is it time for this car to go, or does it still have alot of life left in it.
  • mwebb11mwebb11 Member Posts: 13
    110 K sounds like a good time to replace your air filter if you haven't already done so. That's a common issue. 110K on a 2000 jetta. Definitely not time to go. That is a lot for that year, but for a VW its not. Also, when you say busted catalytic converter, is it smashed in? that is definitely a problem
  • mcserimcseri Member Posts: 16
    I dont know if its smashed it. Maybe I used the wrong term but it definitly makes a fluttering sounds around 20mph and my mechanic said I would need a new one to pass inspection. My biggest fear is having the transmission go or having a major electrical issue. Can anybody provide any insight on this?
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    Your description suggests that your catalytic converter is breaking up inside. This often leads to loose pieces clogging the converter and restricting the exhaust flow. Result: reduced power.