Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    Do you have the Wolfsburg with the 2.0T or the 5 cylinder?

If you have the 2.0T, you should use the better synthetic oils that conform to VW's newer 503.01 specification. These oils provide superior protection for turbocharged engines. The following oils on this list available in the U.S. include:

1) Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European Formula (must say Made in Germany on bottle) - which you can find at the Auto Zone.

2) Mobil 1 0W-40 European formula - found at most auto stores.

If you have the 5-cylinder, then the motor oils conforming to VWs 502.00 spec (the list that jeffyscott e-mailed you) will suffice. The factory fill for this engine is Castrol Syntec 5W-40.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    There's a 503, too? When did that one appear?

...just curious because I found another list which says it is "engine oils which currently meet Volkswagen Oil Quality Standard VW 502 00, VW 505 01 and VW 504 00/507 00." But no mention of a 503.01, it's from an October 2007 VW TSB.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I believe the VW 507.00 is the latest and greatest and can go up to 30,000 miles before changing!!
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    Doesn't the '08 Wolfsburg only come with the 2.0 turbo??? I've had good luck with Mobil1 so I guess I'll stick with it.
    Talked to the service manager and he said if I bring in the oil and filter, they will only charge me $15.00 to change the oil and dispose of the old stuff.
  • jesseakersjesseakers Member Posts: 1
    YES, SAME CAR same problem, and they told me the same thing, I m getting second opinions from a non-VW mechanic, one told me that older cars are belt driven but that VW was prob. electronic, mine hovers around 45 though, and that tach works it just isnt accurate, let me know what you find out

jesseakers2005@hotmail.com
  • kg66kg66 Member Posts: 1
    I recently changed the battery in my 2002 Jetta GLS 2.0. I didn't us a "memory saver" since it wasn't mentioned in the owner's manual, but since then, I have noticed a loss of power and crappy gas mileage. Should I have used a memory saver, and if so, what can I do about it now, or is this only a coincidence, and it's likely I have more serious problems.
  • lentelocolenteloco Member Posts: 5
    I'm thinking of upgrading the exhaust system on my 97 jetta GLS 2.0 but don't know what company or brand to go with can anyone help.. I was looking at either neuspeed, borla, flowmaster, magnaflow? magnaflow and neuspeed are pretty expensive but have lifetime guarantee, and from what I know which is not a lot i've seen these on euro tuner cars unlike flowmaster, I don't know much about borla, can anyone help? oh yea I forgot to mention I don't want one that makes an extreme amount of noise...

HELP...
  • acatt55acatt55 Member Posts: 1
    I own a '03 Jetta Wolfsberg, my check engine light is on and it is for low engine coolant or a sensor. Problem is the coolant is fine and if it is the sensor which one is it and where is it located?

:sick: :sick: :sick:
  • djnarcolepsydjnarcolepsy Member Posts: 7
    does anyone have some detailed pictures of a 95 jetta engine 2.0? overhead, sideview, rearview, anything...i seem to be missing an elbow at the back of the engine i think its a vacuum line, but im not sure. i just want to double check that i have everything hooked up right and my chilton catalogue doesnt show any pictures i can use...thanks
  • jayphatjayphat Member Posts: 2
    Well, there is good news and bad news. Good news is, not the MAF, O2 sensor, coils, or fuel pump. Bad news, is the local garage here said "i am going to recommend you take it to VW because we think its related to the turbo." My assumption is the wastegate is stuck open, thats why its running rich and feels like there is no power. Oh, and the local garage didn't charge me to diagnose any of that stuff.
  • surfmansurfman Member Posts: 11
    Could you please e-mail the list to me. Just bought an '04 Jetta GL 2.0L> Thanks
  • srr2008srr2008 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having a problem getting my Jetta out of 'park.' It is a 1999 automatic and it has had zero problems so far. When it is hot outside or it has been sitting for a few hours it gets stuck in park. I have been told that I have to floor the brake pedal and the light should go off allowing me to shift it. This is true sometimes. If I push the brake really hard to the floor it will click off after about 5 mintues. Have any of you ever had this occur? And what did you do to fix it?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    coolant "level" is snesed by 2 prongs sticking into the top of the fluid within the plastic resivour. There is an electrical plug on the side of the resivour that connects to the 2 prongs inside the tank. It is virtually IMPOSSIBLE for this to break in any way. The fluid is either touching the prongs or not touching them.... it is that simple.

If the fluid is low, you may add less than a cup of DISTILLED water. If it needs more fluid than that, then you need to add G12 antifreeze.
  • suttons5suttons5 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought an '03 Jetta in January. I replaced an antifreeze hose right off the bat. Then I had two coils go bad. Replaced those. Then my check engine light went on. I replaced the coolant temperature sensor and cleared the code. Everything seems to be fine now. Is there any reason that I am getting 20mpg? On the freeway, it goes up to 25 mpg. My owners manual says I should be getting 36.2mpg. I have been getting this mpg since I bought the car in January.
    Is there any reason that I am getting 20mpg?

It is obvious there must be a reason... the bigger question may be *why*?.

Off the top of my head, I can think of 20 reasons *why*.

Top 3 may be;
    1) Your driving style
    2) Dragging brakes
    3) MAF sensor

You did not mention what engine you have, I can surmise you have the 1.8 turbo because it is the only engine which VW offers has individual coils AND can acheive 36MPG. you really need to keep your throttle foot out of the turbocharger to get good MPG. Sure, it it fun to kick in the turbocharger... but you pay the price in poor MPG. Also the 1.8T MUST be fed with hi-test gasoline. Regular gasoline will eventually destroy the engine. I am sure you read that in the owners-manual too.
  • microjmicroj Member Posts: 10
    I have a 1998 Jetta GLS 2.0L 5 speed manual transmission. I have always used high test gas but with prices going up and up I was wondering if I would be doing serious damage to switch to regular unleaded fuel?
    Thanks.
  • mnfoges12mnfoges12 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys...Ive been reading many of these posts, and they are mostly very helpful, so thx for educating those of us who need it. I have an '03 Jetta, 2.0, basic...has 71000 mi. When I start up, and the car is in idle, the temp. gauge is fine...for sometime after even. Once I get her on the road, driving at say, 30-40 MPH, the temp. gauge increases slowly (over the 190). But when I am coming down a hill, or at a red light (whenever I am NOT applying the gas pedal), the temp. gauge gives back (slowly) whatever increase she had. However, if I try to drive on the highway, or driving up a hill, or anytime I apply the gas pedal somewhat forcefully, the temp. gauge increases to the point where the Engine/Coolant indicator comes on. But again, even when the temp. gauge is all the way to the right (260), if I stop the vehicle, or in anyway am NOT applying the gas, the temp. gauge slowly decreases, to the point where the indicator light will turn off. ( By slowly, I mean 30 sec. -2 minutes or so) Does anyone think its may be a faulty sensor? Or thermostat? Or do I need to replace the water pump? The antifreeze "tank" is not at critical levels, but is a tad low. No I have not used any other antifreeze, but have also had minimal maintenance on my vehicle with regards to engine issues anyhow. Any ideas, please? For what its worth, your helping out a soldier who is about to go to Iraq in a month, but I want my car running properly before I "store" her for 15 months. Thank you in advance whoever can offer some guidance.
  • derek11derek11 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a 2001 Jetta 4D GLS 2.0L Automatic (53k miles) offered for 6,500 at a dealership. The car facts report shows the following repairs every 5 months in 2002 and and month after month (4 repairs) in 2003.
    The repairs are (each item repaired on a different visit) as follows: 1)Tire Serviced. 2) Wheel(s) Replaced. 3) Rear Brake Pads Replaced. 4) Rear Brake Pads Replaced. 5) Two Wheels Alligned. 6) Suspension Serviced. 7) Brakes Serviced. The owner sold after 3 years 7 mos. No Accident reported.
    The 2nd owner's record does not contain any repairs.
    What could have caused those repairs? Is that quite normal, or is the car a lemon?
    I'd appreciate any advice please..
    The 1998 2.0 does not require hi-test. You may use RUG (Regulare Unleaded Gas) without concequence.
    By your description, it sure sounds as if your thermostat is not controlling the engine temparture the way it is supposed to. It is cheaper to replace the thermostat than the waterpump.

The waterpump is installed into the engine where it is driven by the timingBelt. To replace it, it is most economical to also replace timingBelt, pullies, tensioner and all other moving components in there at the same time. With 71K miles, you are getting close to the time to replace all that stuff anyway.
  • mnfoges12mnfoges12 Member Posts: 2
    Bpeebles thx for the info. I was with a buddy today who drove around with me and he also said it might be the thermostat, or the waterpump. He also thought it was rather bizarre b/c "once an engine is hot, it stays hot." The temp. gauge shouldnt decrease within a couple minutes, and within all of 5 minutes be nearly back to the 190. Would you concur? And last question, should I take it in to a VW dealer, or to a reliable garage who knows VW's, or could I purchase the parts, and employ a friend who is auto savvy? Of course Im trying to do this as cheap as I can just to get me around for the next month.
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    The way you describe the problem, it could be a thermostat that is stuck partially open, or your water pump is beginning to fail. If your thermostat was stuck in the fully open position, your car would not overheat. Also, you did not say whether your electric engine cooling fan is operating correctly. If your fan is working correctly, I agree that you should try changing out the thermostat first.

Take care over there. Best wishes from a Vietnam vet.
    With 71K miles, you are getting close to the time to replace all that stuff anyway.

Gates recommends replacing timing belt at 60K mi.

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=2256&location_id=3487

VW says "check" it every 40K mi, my understanding is in order to check it you have to do most of the labor needed to replace it anyway.

VW maintenance schedule
    I want to get a neuspeed cold air intake but I don't know if its worth the price? 166.00 is the cheapest I've been able to find it. They sell two kinds one with air pump, one with out, I have a 97 Jetta GLS 2.0L which one would I purchase? Any info would be appreciated.... Thank you.
    All VWs have a CAI installed from the factory... dont waste your $$ replacing the well-desighed factory unit. There really is nothing to be gained from replacing the factory CAI.

Perhaps if you tell us what your GOAL is... then we could recommend a better way to spend your hard-earned cash on your VW. Are looking for power, MPG, sound, handling, braking, longevety.... other?
  • eddyb420eddyb420 Member Posts: 1
    girl i work with says she dont have a dip stick for the trany is this true is it a sealed system in a 1996 jetta havent looked for my self.... thanks for your help
    Yes - it is essentually a sealed system. Most newer VWs do not have a "dipstick" for automatic xmission.

To check the xmission fluid, you are supposed to use a computer hook-up under the dash to determine fluid temparture and some other steps to check the level.

In any case, one should follow the owners-manual reguarding xmission and brake-fluid replacement at proper intervals....lest there may be expensive repair bills.
    My GOALS are power, performance, basically all of the above, I just want to upgrade, I hate having the car stock... Already upgraded brakes, shocks getting wheels next... was told upgrading intake would help mpg and improve hp.. there alot I want to do on the performance aspect I just don't know where to start.
  • djguidodjguido Member Posts: 1
    Ok, so here is the deal. i have a 2001 VW Jetta 1.8 turbo stick shift, 99xxx miles. The car had been sitting for about a week. I am a dealer but I am trying to get out of the business. one of my drivers had the car for a while and he told me that the car would run fine and then all of a sudden run bad. So when I picked it up yesterday, to my surprise, the car was running like a dream. Turbo was boosting, it had pep and it drove great.......for about 20 minutes. All of a sudden a the EPC light came on and the little triangle warning light. I had power loss and it started sputtering(misfiring). It drove ok on the highway but you can tell something is wrong, especially in lower speeds. So here are the trouble codes with the meanings:

P1176 O2 Correctionbehind Catalyst, B1 Limit Attained
    P1297 Connection turbocharger - throttle valve pressure hose
    P1103 O2 Sensor Heating Circ., Bank1-Sensor1 Output too low
    P1171 Throttle Actuation Potentiometer Sign.2 Range/Performance
    P1542 Throttle Actuation Potentiometer Range/Performance
    P1545 Throttle Pos.Contr Malfunction
    P1568 Idle Speed Contr.Throttle Pos. mechanical Malfunction
    P1602 Power Supply (B+) Terminal 30 Low Voltage
    P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circ Low Input
    P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
    P0507 Idle Control System Higher than Expected

I would like to fix this myself but I would like to have a game plan. I am noticing a lot of O2 sensor things, throttle control or position(maybe the sensor), maybe the mass air flow sensor. Is there one thing I should try first? Is there one thing that would set all the others off?

Any help is greatly appreciated....Thanks guys
    OK - you want power -- then forget the CAI which will make no measureable change and go for a supercharger kit
    What you describe sounds like the ol' "coolant migration problem" which wrecks havoc with the electrical system.
  • borisitoborisito Member Posts: 3
    I understand that when the coolant migrates u mean like a leak that would drip and run and get into the wires, and I know that there are a few products out there to cure minor coolant leaks. However could this also cause power loss where it is only happening between 2000-3000 RPMs and in every gear? would it be more likely an O2 sensor or a plugged fuel rail or something?

I have a 96 Jetta, and I notice from time to time that the coolant is lowering, tried the lucas coolant fixer but still seems to be leaking some place...should I try to cure the coolant leak and hope that cures me? or is my problem more in a blocked air or fuel path? would there be any chance that its an ECM getting weak?
  • borisitoborisito Member Posts: 3
    Im sure ur looking for a hose, i have a 96 and the hose clamp and part of the hose is still there but ripped off, so i looked at a buddy's golf, it was a hose that went from the air box to the exhaust manifold, just a cold air intake from factory kind of setup, so if urs is gone and the manifold is still good just get a new hose, if like mine and the tin around the manifold is gone then ur better off just leavin it be
    The "coolant migration problem" is a specific failure whereas the antifreeze leaks into the electrical connector plugged into the side of the expansion tank. The plastic insulation on the wires acts as "tubes" which actually guide this leaking coolant directly into the heart of the electrical system. Antifreeze tends to corrode the copper in the wires. People who have had the "coolant migration problem" for a long while have reported that the entire electrical system gets corroded.

Here is a video about the "coolant migration problem".
  • kenadelekenadele Member Posts: 3
    2001 VW Jetta run very ruff, missing and won't start in wet weather (rainy days). Got to be electrical problem? Was there a re-call on some problem about this or what should I look for? Replaced plugs and wires.
    Thanks, Ken
    Maybe coil pack(s).
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    How many miles? 2.0L engine?

I bet it is your coil pack. Replace the coil pack, wires, and the plugs.

Joe
  • rmalveauxrmalveaux Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 VW Jetta GL 2.0 4 cyl. I am trying to change the cap, wires, and spark plugs. But the header covers seems to be in the way of the some of plugs. How do I change the spark plug? Do I need to remove anything to get at all 4 of them?
    There is no "distributor cap" on a modern EFI engine.... just coil,wires and sparkplugs,
    (some engines do away with the wires and just put a coil on each sparkplug)

To specifically answer your question, to get the inside 2 sparkplugs out, use a "wobble socket extension" on your socketwrench plugged into your sparkplug socket.

NOTES:
    *) Do NOT pull on the sparkplug wires to remove them from the sparkplugs.
    *) Use compressed-air or other means to clean around sparkplugs BEFORE you remove them.(You do not want crud to fall into the engine.)
    *) Use ONLY the proper Bosch sparkplugs in the 2.0 engine (no equivalants)
    *) Apply light coating of antiseaze to the new sparkplug threads
    *) Make certain the new sparkplugs are HAND threaded to the seat before snugging. (To eliminate cross-threading )
  • deejaundeejaun Member Posts: 1
    well i got in my car one day and started it up (manual) and the battery light came on. the next thing you know the abs lights come on the traction light came on and the air bag light came on. a little after that i had to stop for a red light. the car then would not move or anything when the light turned green. it finally started barely putting enough to move so i could get it off to the side of the road. i tryed to start it up again and it was like it was completely dead. so i get to it the next day and it started up fine. after driving it again it did the same thing all over again. so i parked it and took off the battery for 5 min and jumped it and it had a mind of its own. it started reving high and low by itself. does anyone have any kind of feedback for me? it would sure be appreciated. (oh yea and it only has 47000)
    jeremiah
  • xlaurax362xlaurax362 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

My VW Jetta GLS (automatic) is giving me a new issue today. It started hesitating while the "Check Engine" light blinked continuously. As I was driving the car it would hesitate and would have a hard time accelerating and then at times it felt like it would finally shift into gear and would start driving normally again only to once again continue with the same pattern of hesitating, etc. When I would stop at a light it kept vibrating and hesitating. Do you all have any idea what issue I may be having?
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    " ) Make certain the new sparkplugs are HAND threaded to the seat before snugging. (To eliminate cross-threading ) "

It is tough to get your hand under the intake manifold to hand start # 2 and #3 plugs. A piece of fuel line type rubber hose with 5/16" or 3/8" ID where it is pressed onto plugs is a good way to mimick hand starting. VW's 4 cyllinder is the first 4 cylinder engine I have seen where the intake manifold covers the plugs. Normally, this is the case with V-6 engines.

bpeebles, you do have a lot of good comments and suggestions and we appreciate them. Keep up the good work.

Joe
  • paddler2paddler2 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem with my 2003 Jetta TDI. I am guess it's a sensor issue and not some major transmission problem. Did you ever get a resolution on this?
    There was a rash of bad brake-pedal-switches. If the car does not sense that the brake-pedal is pushed, it may not allow taking out of park. Have you considerd this?
  • jettatrouble1jettatrouble1 Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone had any experience replacing the coil? I am going to replace mine and it does not appear to be overly complicated. Is there anyone who can point me to an overview or tips section that might help me along the way? Thanks.
  • dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    Try here:
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1835863
    Search for discussion on your engine. 1.8T, VR6, etc.
    Which engine do you have?

I beleive the 1.8T and VR6 have INDIVIDUAL COILS mounted on each sparkplug while the 2.0 has a single coil.
  • sbbaucsbbauc Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone ever discover the source of the crayon smell? is it the carpet? The seat covers? the door panels or headliner? I can't drive the car with the smell and I need some relief? Somebody help me!

Any class-action lawyers out there need a class rep?
  • waterstreet020waterstreet020 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, another disappointed Jetta owner - I have 03 GLI VR, and for the last 6 months we have been suffering this nasty moldy smell coming out of the vent system. Otherwise I love this car, but it is getting impossible to drive if the windows are closed. Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this issue?
    You are experiencing mold on your AC evaperator coil. (under the dashboard) To fix it you need to treat the SOURCE of the problem (kill the mold) There are ways to do this without disassembling your entire dashboard. ("fog" treatments that are sprayed into the air-intake system.)

Once you have the problem resolved... you need to change your usage-habits with the AC to PREVENT it from ever coming back.