Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    driver100 said:

houdini1 said:

Driver, car looks great, but with those stripes, you look like an escapee from the county work farm. :) Just kidding of course. It really looks like you are about to bust loose with "Jailhouse Rock". Good song to drive to.

Thanks for the Mike update. Sounds like things are looking up, please give him my best. Thx.

I thought about taking pictures without me in the picture...........I wish I had done that now. At least it wasn't a see thru muscle shirt.

I will pass on your good wishes to Mike.
    C'mon man, if you had one of those shirts on we would not have seen very much anyway. So what would it have hurt, are you really that vain? :D

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,358

driver100 said:

I think I can do some pix:

I forgot the interior!
    That is me. Took the pictures at the golf course, which I don't belong to.

Cool car. I like it. I think I may keep my clubs in the trunk for just such an occasion.

Congrats Driver!
    Ditto!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    driver100 said:

berri said:

C'mon jmonroe, I think driver is thin enough to wear those horizontal stripes. Some of us do better in vertical pinstripes though ;)

I worked hard to wear those horizontal stripes....wasn't that overweight but lost 30 pounds over the last 2 years....so I am going to flaunt it! Monroe is just jealous! ;)
    *Driver you are too skinny - put on some weight. Any weight below 180 pounds or 90 kilograms is too skinny. People who live in cold climates should have a layer of fat insulation to remain warm and to prevent hypothermia.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I'm off to the airport, hope the traffic is isn't too bad. Now that the TSA has hired more fulltime staff I hope they can move those usually long lines at holiday times.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    bwia said:

I'm off to the airport, hope the traffic is isn't too bad. Now that the TSA has hired more fulltime staff I hope they can move those usually long lines at holiday times.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Have a nice and safe trip.

I sure am glad I'm not leaving the area. We are going over to Son #1's house (about 10 miles away) and Son #2 will be there too with his family. In a way Mrs. j is happy that she doesn't have to go through all the work this year after many many years of doing the Thanksgiving thing. Then there is the sad side because she sees the torch being passed. She's already talking about getting back into the action next year. Hell, I just want to be around. Don't really care who goes through the work.

Happy Thanksgiving guys.

jmonroe

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited November 2016
    @driver100, congrats on the new car. Those pictures really make the car look small. I mean, tiny. I think the picture posted above by @Mr_Shiftright would be a little too close to reality for me trying to fit into that car.

Are the pictures misleading, or is this thing really that much smaller than a Passat? If so, is that why you wanted it, to go smaller?

And definitely pass on my wishes for a speedy recovery to @abacomike, tell him we miss him.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2016
    I did drop a few pounds after leaving the beach-side lifestyle on Lake Superior. Safe travels @bwia and everyone else.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976

houdini1 said:

Driver, car looks great, but with those stripes, you look like an escapee from the county work farm. :) Just kidding of course. It really looks like you are about to bust loose with "Jailhouse Rock". Good song to drive to.

Thanks for the Mike update. Sounds like things are looking up, please give him my best. Thx.

I was thinking the same thing, nice car but why is that homeless guy hanging around? :p
    That's Florida clothing. The only state where you never have to wear a tie.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

houdini1 said:

I thought about taking pictures without me in the picture...........I wish I had done that now. At least it wasn't a see thru muscle shirt.

C'mon man, if you had one of those shirts on we would not have seen very much anyway. So what would it have hurt, are you really that vain? :D

jmonroe
    Next picture I post will be the C 250 and me in a Speedo!

(I'll have to go out and buy the Speedo though)

Anyway, I am getting worried, too many of you are evaluating me and not the car. :s

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

houdini1 said:

jmonroe
    Next picture I post will be the C 250 and me in a Speedo!

(I'll have to go out and buy the Speedo though)

Anyway, I am getting worried, too many of you are evaluating me and not the car. :s
    OH PLEASE don't do that?

I take back what I said, OK? :o

jmonroe

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Got the winter footwear on. Go ahead... snow... I triple dog dare ya!

bwia said:

driver100 said:

berri said:

C'mon jmonroe, I think driver is thin enough to wear those horizontal stripes. Some of us do better in vertical pinstripes though ;)

I worked hard to wear those horizontal stripes....wasn't that overweight but lost 30 pounds over the last 2 years....so I am going to flaunt it! Monroe is just jealous! ;)
    *Driver you are too skinny - put on some weight. Any weight below 180 pounds or 90 kilograms is too skinny. People who live in cold climates should have a layer of fat insulation to remain warm and to prevent hypothermia.
    I was 180 pounds (176 to be exact) and it was hard to lose those pounds. Mrs D didn't have to go on a diet, but she wanted to be at her wedding weight, so I went along with it to help her. I hate doing without all the extras I used to enjoy...like you guys talking about smoked meat sandwiches, but the lighter weight really feels better and has improved my tennis and pickleball games. 30 extra pounds is like carrying around an extra 30 pound weight all day.

It is very difficult giving up all that food, but, I know it was worth it.

I should post my weight loss program if anyone else wants to get into shape (Monroe????)

henryn said:

@driver100, congrats on the new car. Those pictures really make the car look small. I mean, tiny. I think the picture posted above by @Mr_Shiftright would be a little too close to reality for me trying to fit into that car.

Are the pictures misleading, or is this thing really that much smaller than a Passat? If so, is that why you wanted it, to go smaller?

And definitely pass on my wishes for a speedy recovery to @abacomike, tell him we miss him.

Thanks henryn and everyone. I have no idea why I look so big in those pictures....I thought it was out of kilter too. It may be do to a wide angle on the Galaxy Tablet, or it has to do with making the subject larger. I feel like a giant when I see those pictures...........I am 5 10".

I had to really inhale to look extra slim too.

I will pass on your wishes for Mike.

Have you considered buying something larger than a Mini?

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,664
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

OF>
    That Mustang looks nice......for $7000 more I could have had one of those;

This one was only $22995!

So for that kind of money they are even throwing in a set of snow rims, nice of them. ;)
    Believe me, you wouldn't want to drive that car in the snow.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Is that Stever, the beard looks familiar?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

bwia said:

driver100 said:

berri said:

I was 180 pounds (176 to be exact) and it was hard to lose those pounds. Mrs D didn't have to go on a diet, but she wanted to be at her wedding weight, so I went along with it to help her. I hate doing without all the extras I used to enjoy...like you guys talking about smoked meat sandwiches, but the lighter weight really feels better and has improved my tennis and pickleball games. 30 extra pounds is like carrying around an extra 30 pound weight all day.

It is very difficult giving up all that food, but, I know it was worth it.

I should post my weight loss program if anyone else wants to get into shape (Monroe????)

Hey, while I may not be at my wedding weight (not sure of what that was now), I'm pretty damn close to my fighting weight. However, my speed around the dining room table ain't all that bad either and that is what is important to me. ;)

jmonroe

edited November 2016
    Not me @oldfarmer50, I'm down to a little under 160 and 150 was my college weight. After this week though....

I like to play but I don't like to exercise. I just cut back on bread and intake amounts and dropped 20ish or so, losing a pound a week on the good weeks. Still eat at least one Hershey Bar a day.

Rental place is all booked up and we didn't really want to deal with it anyway. We went bird shopping last week and we really don't have any place we need to go. I did invite my Kia guy up to the house to give me a test drive (told him the car was in the shop today, and I didn't get a loaner. :) ).
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,091
    Renovation update: got a call from the manager of the home center place I wrote about that had the bad experience on Friday. He was apologetic and wanted to make things right. He told me that there was a previous regime there that tolerated that sort of thing but he is fairly new and trying to change the culture on the sales floor. He even said that he was convening a meeting today with all of their department heads and using my situation as an example of what they should not do in the future. So the deal is back on and I am getting free delivery with a guarantee it will all be placed where I want it to go. Happy again.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

PF_Flyer said:

OK, since we are talking tires, I took Mrs. j's 2012 Legacy in for PA state inspection yesterday and the guy I have been dealing with for years tells me the rear tires should be replaced but the fronts are OK but because this is an AWD car all of the tires have to be replaced and he gives me his price for several tires that he can get but they are not the Bridgestone Serenity that are on the car now. Since I have been dealing with the local Firestone store I told him that they will probably be giving me a pretty good adjustment since I have the lifetime balancing, rotation and lifetime alignment with them.

I go to the Firestone store and they said only the rear ones are bad but since the fronts are OK they can only give me an adjustment for the rear tires. I said, "so that is my reward for owning an AWD drive, huh? He essentially agreed with me but he couldn't give me an adjustment for the fronts because they still have around 50% tread on them. Firestone is the store that I have been doing the rebalancing, rotating, and alignments with since I bought those tires. So, I said, "your price for me buying 2 new tires and getting a 60% adjustment for the rear tires is more than the inspecting shop wants for 4 new tires". The guy says those tires are not the same quality as the Serenity's. When I told him for the price difference, about $235, I didn't care and would buy 4 new tires from the inspection garage. All of a sudden, he will give me a 50% credit for the front tires and 60% credit for the rear tires.

I'm waiting for his call when they come in. I don't want to go this week even if he calls today or Friday because of all the holiday mess that will be going on. I'll probably go some day next week but hopefully before it snows.

jmonroe

ab348 said:

Renovation update: got a call from the manager of the home center place I wrote about that had the bad experience on Friday. He was apologetic and wanted to make things right. He told me that there was a previous regime there that tolerated that sort of thing but he is fairly new and trying to change the culture on the sales floor. He even said that he was convening a meeting today with all of their department heads and using my situation as an example of what they should not do in the future. So the deal is back on and I am getting free delivery with a guarantee it will all be placed where I want it to go. Happy again.

It sounds like the manager is really trying to make a difference....that is a good sign. It is good that he wants to make it right and nice of you to give him the chance...hope it works out for both.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,944
    jmonroe said:
    OK, since we are talking tires, I took Mrs. j's 2012 Legacy in for PA state inspection yesterday and the guy I have been dealing with for years tells me the rear tires should be replaced but the fronts are OK but because this is an AWD car all of the tires have to be replaced and he gives me his price for several tires that he can get but they are not the Bridgestone Serenity that are on the car now. Since I have been dealing with the local Firestone store I told him that they will probably be giving me a pretty good adjustment since I have the lifetime balancing, rotation and lifetime alignment with them. I go to the Firestone store and they said only the rear ones are bad but since the fronts are OK they can only give me an adjustment for the rear tires. I said, "so that is my reward for owning an AWD drive, huh? He essentially agreed with me but he couldn't give me an adjustment for the fronts because they still have around 50% tread on them. Firestone is the store that I have been doing the rebalancing, rotating, and alignments with since I bought those tires. So, I said, "your price for me buying 2 new tires and getting a 60% adjustment for the rear tires is more than the inspecting shop wants for 4 new tires". The guy says those tires are not the same quality as the Serenity's. When I told him for the price difference, about $235, I didn't care and would buy 4 new tires from the inspection garage. All of a sudden, he will give me a 50% credit for the front tires and 60% credit for the rear tires. I'm waiting for his call when they come in. I don't want to go this week even if he calls today or Friday because of all the holiday mess that will be going on. I'll probably go some day next week but hopefully before it snows. jmonroe
    My question would have been, "if you have really been rotating them like I have been paying you to do, why is there such a discrepancy between the fronts and rears?"

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I did invite my Kia guy up to the house to give me a test drive (told him the car was in the shop today, and I didn't get a loaner. :) ).

stever - 'aye ta be - keep 'em honest! Good way to test their drive to really want to sell a Soul (something doesn't quite sound right ta that! :D ) ta you, huh? Make 'em work for it a bit. I love my '11 Kia Soul still - I am really digging the 2017 Nissan Versa S sedan (I know - I have cheap tastes in cars!!) but the Kia Soul just fits us as a couple so well. It is just the right size for us and our Pomeranian and Chow Chow...the two cats only ride if they have to go to the vet.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

driver - diggin' your new ta you 2014 Mercedes C-250 sedan. Love a red car. Stay slim, man, especially if ya feel better slim. You're doin' your body right, then, if you feel better slimmer.

ab348 said:

That is good news and is the way business should be done.

I ran into a delivery problem years ago with Home Depot when we were replacing the vanity in the main bath on the second floor. Before we bought it I asked if they would deliver it to the second floor because it was a five footer and I knew it would be heavy and the guy said, "sure, we'll even put it in the bathroom if you want us to". I told the guy to get it to the second floor and I'd take it from there.

Fast forward about a month (it was a special order) and the delivery guy (pretty sure it was a contractor since I don't see Home Depot on the truck) says he can't put it on the second floor just, the first floor. I told him what the store said and he gets all uppity and says, "the store doesn't do the delivery. I do". Being the agreeable guy that I ain't, I told him I didn't want it and closed the door. Mrs. j said, "what are we going to do now'? I told her that was easy, we buy from someone else. About 5 minutes later the guy knocks on the door again and says, "OK, we'll put it on the second floor". I was half tempted to tell him NO but that would have meant going shopping again so I quickly caved and turned into the agreeable guy that I am and said, "OK".

Sometimes you just have to get their attention.

jmonroe

qbrozen said:

jmonroe said:

PF_Flyer said:

OK, since we are talking tires, I took Mrs. j's 2012 Legacy in for PA state inspection yesterday and the guy I have been dealing with for years tells me the rear tires should be replaced but the fronts are OK but because this is an AWD car all of the tires have to be replaced and he gives me his price for several tires that he can get but they are not the Bridgestone Serenity that are on the car now. Since I have been dealing with the local Firestone store I told him that they will probably be giving me a pretty good adjustment since I have the lifetime balancing, rotation and lifetime alignment with them.

I go to the Firestone store and they said only the rear ones are bad but since the fronts are OK they can only give me an adjustment for the rear tires. I said, "so that is my reward for owning an AWD drive, huh? He essentially agreed with me but he couldn't give me an adjustment for the fronts because they still have around 50% tread on them. Firestone is the store that I have been doing the rebalancing, rotating, and alignments with since I bought those tires. So, I said, "your price for me buying 2 new tires and getting a 60% adjustment for the rear tires is more than the inspecting shop wants for 4 new tires". The guy says those tires are not the same quality as the Serenity's. When I told him for the price difference, about $235, I didn't care and would buy 4 new tires from the inspection garage. All of a sudden, he will give me a 50% credit for the front tires and 60% credit for the rear tires.

I'm waiting for his call when they come in. I don't want to go this week even if he calls today or Friday because of all the holiday mess that will be going on. I'll probably go some day next week but hopefully before it snows.

jmonroe

My question would have been, "if you have really been rotating them like I have been paying you to do, why is there such a discrepancy between the fronts and rears?"

I should have mentioned this before.

I did ask him but he didn't have a good answer for that. This is another reason why I dug in and told him I would buy from the inspection garage and I was not bluffing.

jmonroe

driver100 said:

LOL! No, no, I'm in good shape. That looks more like my brother.

driver100 said:

Besides, men don't drive Mini convertibles!

driver100 said:

Maybe the picture was taken of your bad side :p

I did invite my Kia guy up to the house to give me a test drive (told him the car was in the shop today, and I didn't get a loaner. :) ).

stever - 'aye ta be - keep 'em honest! Good way to test their drive to really want to sell a Soul (something doesn't quite sound right ta that! :D ) ta you, huh? Make 'em work for it a bit. I love my '11 Kia Soul still - I am really digging the 2017 Nissan Versa S sedan (I know - I have cheap tastes in cars!!) but the Kia Soul just fits us as a couple so well. It is just the right size for us and our Pomeranian and Chow Chow...the two cats only ride if they have to go to the vet.

My sales guy couldn't get up here, had at least one appointment coming in. He doesn't have what we want anyway, the new GM is just trying to make his November numbers. Wonder it it's worth settling for a more basic Soul in that pretty Caribbean Blue ? Get one for $15,000 and then trade it in next year on the one we really want and take a $4,000 trade-in hit.

The Kia guy may be bummed though. My wife is back on the hunt with her Encore, an Escort Hatch and I'm afraid to ask what else is on her radar again.

Maybe I could convince her to buy in El Paso and get that MINI convertible. :)
    Sure, a Mini would be great if your other vehicle has a tow bar. :p
    edited November 2016
    Would that be a Ford Focus hatch, stever, not an Escort hatch? And Kia goes for the jugular with that Caribbean Blue. Ratchet your price about $7,500 up with the package up, just ta obtain that nice blue color. :s

stever said:

Not me @oldfarmer50, I'm down to a little under 160 and 150 was my college weight. After this week though....

I like to play but I don't like to exercise. I just cut back on bread and intake amounts and dropped 20ish or so, losing a pound a week on the good weeks. Still eat at least one Hershey Bar a day.

Rental place is all booked up and we didn't really want to deal with it anyway. We went bird shopping last week and we really don't have any place we need to go. I did invite my Kia guy up to the house to give me a test drive (told him the car was in the shop today, and I didn't get a loaner. :) ).

Did you manage to take any pictures of the van yet? We're getting up a mob to go after the guy who hit you.

jmonroe said:

PF_Flyer said:

jmonroe
    I always feel I need a bath when i visit those corporate owned tire stores. Always my last resort.

stever said:

My sales guy couldn't get up here, had at least one appointment coming in. He doesn't have what we want anyway, the new GM is just trying to make his November numbers. Wonder it it's worth settling for a more basic Soul in that pretty Caribbean Blue ? Get one for $15,000 and then trade it in next year on the one we really want and take a $4,000 trade-in hit.

. :)
    Don't settle and take a $4000 hit. It will be more than that by the time you pay taxes again, and DOC fees and all the other things that will add up. Then they will tell you your trade in is not in demand, or they have too many blue ones around.

There has to be a better solution....too bad you didn't need a Passat with a stick!

jmonroe said:

PF_Flyer said:

jmonroe
    What good is a warranty if when one tire goes you have to replace all 4 tires? I thought AWD cars had to have tires replaced in pairs at least.....didn't even think of replacing them in 4s.

The tire on the E400 kept leaking so I took it in to the dealer. They told me I needed a new tire, the sidewall was damaged....couldn't patch it. I specifically asked if I should replace the pair of tires. He said the tread was still good (about 24000 miles) on the other tire, I would be wasting my money replacing both tires. The rear tires are a different size...or were a different size since the car is no longer with us.

I would read up whether you have to replace all 4 tires at this time. Also how many miles on the Sube?

jmonroe said:

PF_Flyer said:

jmonroe
    I always feel I need a bath when i visit those corporate owned tire stores. Always my last resort.
    Up until my last visit yesterday at this Firestone store I never had a problem with them but I got them straightened out now.

Amazing what can happen when they see business from a long time customer (2010) going elsewhere.

jmonroe

After I trade in the Passat for $11,600 I get a notice from a local VW dealer they will give me $12650 for it. But, it had a few stars next to that price............I think I would have to trade it in for a new one. Also, I would lose the difference in cost of the sales tax, so I didn't do too badly. Even the one's being sold privately only got $13000 to $14000 even with low mileage. I have no regrets.

Since Monroe and I are the only one's around, have a Good Turkey Day evening everyone,,,,,,see you on the official day tomorrow.

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

PF_Flyer said:

jmonroe
    What good is a warranty if when one tire goes you have to replace all 4 tires? I thought AWD cars had to have tires replaced in pairs at least.....didn't even think of replacing them in 4s.

The tire on the E400 kept leaking so I took it in to the dealer. They told me I needed a new tire, the sidewall was damaged....couldn't patch it. I specifically asked if I should replace the pair of tires. He said the tread was still good (about 24000 miles) on the other tire, I would be wasting my money replacing both tires. The rear tires are a different size...or were a different size since the car is no longer with us.

I would read up whether you have to replace all 4 tires at this time. Also how many miles on the Sube?
    I have heard about replacing all 4 tires on an AWD car before but I decided to do some checking online and found what I show below. There are other articles that say the same thing. Then I called the dealer and he confirmed it.

Subarus: Subarus have, to our knowledge, the tightest tolerance of any AWD system. Since we see so many, we can tell you what the tolerance is. It can be stated in two ways: The first is 2/32nds tread depth across all four tires. The problem with this is that actual tire dimensions can vary from brand to brand and even from model to model. Therefore the 2/32nds rule is only good if you have the exact same size, brand, and model tire. The other way to check is to measure the tire around the circumference and then the tolerance is 1/4". That was circumference, not diameter, so you have to have a flexible tape ruler and measure around the tread of the tire. Also, having air in the tire affects the circumference. Though the change due to having air in it is only about 1/8", it's pretty critical since the tolerance is only 1/4". Therefore, to get an accurate measurement, it's necessary to let the air out before you measure (since the prospective replacement probably won't be aired up). This second method allows you to check compatibility with any make or model of tire. When we were almost finished with this article, a Subaru came in that needed only one tire, so the picture shows us measuring the prospective replacement tire with our "Subaru Tool".

You may ask what the big deal is? Well, on the Subarus, if all four tires aren't matched within 1/4" around the circumference, you will break the transmission, not maybe or sometimes - it definitely happens. Granted it won't happen overnight, and the AWD on many Subarus can be disabled, but the transmissions can definitely get ruined and then they have to be repaired or replaced. Then the cost will be a lot more than the cost of tires!

If I didn't know better, I'd say Subaru and other AWD car companies are in cahoots with tire manufactures.

So, I'm screwed.

jmonroe

driver100 said:

After I trade in the Passat for $11,600 I get a notice from a local VW dealer they will give me $12650 for it. But, it had a few stars next to that price............I think I would have to trade it in for a new one. Also, I would lose the difference in cost of the sales tax, so I didn't do too badly. Even the one's being sold privately only got $13000 to $14000 even with low mileage. I have no regrets.

Since Monroe and I are the only one's around, have a Good Turkey Day evening everyone,,,,,,see you on the official day tomorrow.

Hey, what's with this last name only thing? I ain't in the Navy anymore ya know.

Two can play that game 100. :@

jmonroe

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

PF_Flyer said:

jmonroe

I have heard about replacing all 4 tires on an AWD car before but I decided to do some checking online and found what I show below. There are other articles that say the same thing. Then I called the dealer and he confirmed it.

Subarus: Subarus have, to our knowledge, the tightest tolerance of any AWD system. Since we see so many, we can tell you what the tolerance is. It can be stated in two ways: The first is 2/32nds tread depth across all four tires. The problem with this is that actual tire dimensions can vary from brand to brand and even from model to model. Therefore the 2/32nds rule is only good if you have the exact same size, brand, and model tire. The other way to check is to measure the tire around the circumference and then the tolerance is 1/4". That was circumference, not diameter, so you have to have a flexible tape ruler and measure around the tread of the tire. Also, having air in the tire affects the circumference. Though the change due to having air in it is only about 1/8", it's pretty critical since the tolerance is only 1/4". Therefore, to get an accurate measurement, it's necessary to let the air out before you measure (since the prospective replacement probably won't be aired up). This second method allows you to check compatibility with any make or model of tire. When we were almost finished with this article, a Subaru came in that needed only one tire, so the picture shows us measuring the prospective replacement tire with our "Subaru Tool".

You may ask what the big deal is? Well, on the Subarus, if all four tires aren't matched within 1/4" around the circumference, you will break the transmission, not maybe or sometimes - it definitely happens. Granted it won't happen overnight, and the AWD on many Subarus can be disabled, but the transmissions can definitely get ruined and then they have to be repaired or replaced. Then the cost will be a lot more than the cost of tires!

If I didn't know better, I'd say Subaru and other AWD car companies are in cahoots with tire manufactures.

So, I'm screwed.

jmonroe
    Wow....no one explains that to you when you buy the car. What happens if you have a flat and you put a donut on - that has a huge difference in circumference I can understand pairs of tires having to be the same, but backs and fronts? Tires wear differently anyways...backs and fronts, so does that mean if your tires don't wear evenly you need all new tires?

Good research....keep checking, but I think you are right.....you are so screwed.

Someone could make a fortune selling tires to Suburu tires that are word down to match all the other tires. That's what you could do...buy one tire and shave it down so it matches the others.

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

PF_Flyer said:

jmonroe

So, I'm screwed.

jmonroe
    Wow....no one explains that to you when you buy the car. What happens if you have a flat and you put a donut on - that has a huge difference in circumference I can understand pairs of tires having to be the same, but backs and fronts? Tires wear differently anyways...backs and fronts, so does that mean if your tires don't wear evenly you need all new tires?

Good research....keep checking, but I think you are right.....you are so screwed.

Someone could make a fortune selling tires to Suburu tires that are word down to match all the other tires. That's what you could do...buy one tire and shave it down so it matches the others.
    IIRC, the Subaru owners manual says that the "donut" should only be used for 50 miles or less. So, there are exceptions. Although, they don't say how many times you are allowed to have a flat and do this 50 mile thing. :o

jmonroe

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    Happy Thanksgiving Day to all here.

If driving tonight or tomorrow, be safe. Many travelers through here since Monday have been idiots on the interstates. It's raining this evening and I'm surprised there haven't been accidents blocking things.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

PF_Flyer said:

jmonroe

So, I'm screwed.

jmonroe
    The heck with AWD. It's cheaper to just get a set of chains. Man, in the old days there was nothing that could stop you when you were chaining.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,944
    jmonroe said:
    OK, since we are talking tires, I took Mrs. j's 2012 Legacy in for PA state inspection yesterday and the guy I have been dealing with for years tells me the rear tires should be replaced but the fronts are OK but because this is an AWD car all of the tires have to be replaced and he gives me his price for several tires that he can get but they are not the Bridgestone Serenity that are on the car now. Since I have been dealing with the local Firestone store I told him that they will probably be giving me a pretty good adjustment since I have the lifetime balancing, rotation and lifetime alignment with them. I go to the Firestone store and they said only the rear ones are bad but since the fronts are OK they can only give me an adjustment for the rear tires. I said, "so that is my reward for owning an AWD drive, huh? He essentially agreed with me but he couldn't give me an adjustment for the fronts because they still have around 50% tread on them. Firestone is the store that I have been doing the rebalancing, rotating, and alignments with since I bought those tires. So, I said, "your price for me buying 2 new tires and getting a 60% adjustment for the rear tires is more than the inspecting shop wants for 4 new tires". The guy says those tires are not the same quality as the Serenity's. When I told him for the price difference, about $235, I didn't care and would buy 4 new tires from the inspection garage. All of a sudden, he will give me a 50% credit for the front tires and 60% credit for the rear tires. I'm waiting for his call when they come in. I don't want to go this week even if he calls today or Friday because of all the holiday mess that will be going on. I'll probably go some day next week but hopefully before it snows. jmonroe
    What good is a warranty if when one tire goes you have to replace all 4 tires? I thought AWD cars had to have tires replaced in pairs at least.....didn't even think of replacing them in 4s. The tire on the E400 kept leaking so I took it in to the dealer. They told me I needed a new tire, the sidewall was damaged....couldn't patch it. I specifically asked if I should replace the pair of tires. He said the tread was still good (about 24000 miles) on the other tire, I would be wasting my money replacing both tires. The rear tires are a different size...or were a different size since the car is no longer with us. I would read up whether you have to replace all 4 tires at this time. Also how many miles on the Sube?
    I have heard about replacing all 4 tires on an AWD car before but I decided to do some checking online and found what I show below. There are other articles that say the same thing. Then I called the dealer and he confirmed it. Subarus: Subarus have, to our knowledge, the tightest tolerance of any AWD system. Since we see so many, we can tell you what the tolerance is. It can be stated in two ways: The first is 2/32nds tread depth across all four tires. The problem with this is that actual tire dimensions can vary from brand to brand and even from model to model. Therefore the 2/32nds rule is only good if you have the exact same size, brand, and model tire. The other way to check is to measure the tire around the circumference and then the tolerance is 1/4". That was circumference, not diameter, so you have to have a flexible tape ruler and measure around the tread of the tire. Also, having air in the tire affects the circumference. Though the change due to having air in it is only about 1/8", it's pretty critical since the tolerance is only 1/4". Therefore, to get an accurate measurement, it's necessary to let the air out before you measure (since the prospective replacement probably won't be aired up). This second method allows you to check compatibility with any make or model of tire. When we were almost finished with this article, a Subaru came in that needed only one tire, so the picture shows us measuring the prospective replacement tire with our "Subaru Tool". You may ask what the big deal is? Well, on the Subarus, if all four tires aren't matched within 1/4" around the circumference, you will break the transmission, not maybe or sometimes - it definitely happens. Granted it won't happen overnight, and the AWD on many Subarus can be disabled, but the transmissions can definitely get ruined and then they have to be repaired or replaced. Then the cost will be a lot more than the cost of tires! If I didn't know better, I'd say Subaru and other AWD car companies are in cahoots with tire manufactures. So, I'm screwed. jmonroe
    So I have heard varied reports on this over the years. My problem with the description above is that damned near every car on the road is very likely driving around with more than a lousy 2/32s difference in tread depth amongst their tires. Just as you were told that 2 of your tires needed replacing while 2 were OK. So that means you probably had something more like 4/32s difference. By that description above, you MUST have a broken transmission. So, do you?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

PF_Flyer said:

jmonroe

So, I'm screwed.

jmonroe
    The heck with AWD. It's cheaper to just get a set of chains. Man, in the old days there was nothing that could stop you when you were chaining.

I've probably had less experience in the snow than almost anyone on here, but I did have a few rounds with it in my youth. Chains were great, and studded snow tires were pretty awesome. I think they made those illegal though?
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    qbrozen said:

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

PF_Flyer said:

jmonroe

So, I'm screwed.

jmonroe

So I have heard varied reports on this over the years. My problem with the description above is that damned near every car on the road is very likely driving around with more than a lousy 2/32s difference in tread depth amongst their tires. Just as you were told that 2 of your tires needed replacing while 2 were OK. So that means you probably had something more like 4/32s difference. By that description above, you MUST have a broken transmission. So, do you?

The tranny is fine but I don't want to get into it with a dealer if there is a problem.

I could opt to get a tire shave like Tire Rack suggests but I'm not doing that either.

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=18&

jmonroe

henryn said:

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

PF_Flyer said:

jmonroe

So, I'm screwed.

jmonroe

I've probably had less experience in the snow than almost anyone on here, but I did have a few rounds with it in my youth. Chains were great, and studded snow tires were pretty awesome. I think they made those illegal though?
    Chains were the best but they are sooo inconvenient because once you are on the open road that is clear they can't be used. Even on snow they are the roughest ride there is but you do go.

As for studded snow tires they were all the rage here in South Western PA back in the 70's, and 80's and I had plenty of them in those years. Once front wheel drive came along they seemed to go out of favor.

FWIW, studded tires are still legal in PA but there is a limited time that they can be used. Something like November to mid April IIRC

jmonroe

jmonroe said:

qbrozen said:

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:

PF_Flyer said:

jmonroe

So, I'm screwed.

jmonroe

The tranny is fine but I don't want to get into it with a dealer if there is a problem.

I could opt to get a tire shave like Tire Rack suggests but I'm not doing that either.

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=18&

jmonroe

Tire Rack stole my idea of shaving the one new tire to match the other tires. Actually, it sounds like a good plan........$25 to $35 to shave one tire to match the other 3, and you are all set. Better than buying 4 new tires and then getting a flat tire or blow out and replace all 4 tires again.