Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

1212213214215216218»

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    It sounds as if you need to use diagnostic-software
    VagCom http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 155
    Had the 40k service performed at the dealer today. $586.92 including tax using a 10% off coupon that VW mailed me.
  • This has been driving me crazy for a while now. I've searched all over the web with no luck. My air filter box has 2 big hoses coming off of it. The primary hose goes up to the throttle body as you would expect, but the second one, slightly smaller, goes down to the bottom side of the engine to a small tube that goes into the engine. I've been wanting to take off the old intake tube and box and put a new one on with a cone filter, but I didn't want to do this without knowing what the function of the second hose was, or what it goes to. Does anyone know what this is?
    It has been awhile since I was under the hood of a '98 2.0L...but here are some thoughts...

I cannot believe this second hose is connected into the engine-block itself....as you surmise, there would be no reason for this.

I am thinking the second hose you describe is likely a warm-air intake. Does this second hose connect near the firewall around the exhaust? Some cars use this to draw in warm air in cold weather.

It is also possible this second hose is the PCV breather. (Positive Crankcase Ventilation)...does it connect into the valvecover?

Finally, are you certain that this second hose is not the INTAKE hose which connects towards the front of the vehicle to draw in cold-air from infront of the radiator? Nearly every fuel-injected car on the road has a cold-air-intake right from the factory. (Waste of $$ to install a CAI kit!!)
  • I have a 1995 jetta my radiator cooling fan will not stop running.In allthe manuals i have read it only discribeshow to test the sensors and switchs if the fan wont run not if it wont stop
    You did not ask any questions but I will assume you are curious why your radiator fan will not stop running... lets discuss...

Also, you did not mention if a fan is running when the ignition is turned off... this would help to diagnose the situation.

You should have two fans.
    1)One of them should run all the time when the AC is engaged. (which includes defrost mode!!)
    2)The other fan should only run when the temperature of the antifreeze gets high enough to turn it on.

You need to figure out WHICH of the fans is running.... then we can have a further discussion about the possible routes to correct the situation.

In the meantime, you can test the thermal-switch to see if it is shorted. A shorted thermal-switch is the ONLY way the second fan would run all the time.
  • I have both fan connected by a belt so they both run at same time.they stay on wetherthe ignition is turned off or on. The only way i was able to stop them was to diconnect the battery orunplug cooling fan. Allso whhen this started it was the middle of the night and car hadn't been driven for at least aday. I also tryed unpluging both switchsthat i know are therethatturn the fan on.that didnt stop them either.im kind of stumped i thought if i unpluged switches they should shut off?
    The two electric fans are connected via belt????? I have been involved with VW since the 1970's and have never seen this kind of set-up.

In any case, have you tried pulling the fan-relay out.... that should stop the fan from running.

The VWs I have worked on have no belt between the fans and each fan has its own relay.