Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Check the rattles forum.....I STILL have a real buzz that surfaces around my radio...If I press on the radio it goes away....the window cowling (sits under the wipers) also creates a variety of rattles and buzzes...the dealer can remove the cowl and place a gasket there...the noise eventually conmes back.....I also have door pillar rattles and rattles by my glove box.....
  • riferife Member Posts: 8
    Glad I could make you laugh. It wasn't funny at the time, but I can laugh at in now myself.
  • jon1477jon1477 Member Posts: 11
    ok frist do not disconnect your battery the trans relearn must be reset using the tech 1 toyota program second for the frist 100 miles after relearn of driveing take it easey or you will screw it up agine it

rember the computer in your car tries to make you happey but needs to keep things with in federal guide lines
  • wildkid102wildkid102 Member Posts: 8
    I need to replace lower potion of the rear bumper due to minor damage at the corner.
    Can anyone tell me how much it would cost ?
    Where should I go to repair it ?
    Please reply.
    Thanks,
    Someone save me the agony of reading my manual!

I have an 02 Camry LE. It seams the passenger door lock will not open all doors in the car...is there a setting for this. Example: I leave the car while I run in to pick up a video. I lock the car behind me since the wife and kids are waiting in there, throw my keys in my pocket, come back with a video, 2 popcorns and a few drinks, my wife pushes the unlock switch on the her (passenger) side to open my door...nothing happens....?
  • rjacobson1rjacobson1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 Camry LE (45,000 miles) and the steering wheel creaks when I turn right or left. It sounds like vinyl on vinyl, my mechanic spoke with Toyota and they told him there is a lubricant that may solve the problems but might render the horn inoperative. Anyone have the same problem or solutions.
  • paul29paul29 Member Posts: 178
    By locking the door with the key you have overridden the interior master door lock switches . When you get out use the driver's door master lock to lock the doors , your wife will then be able to unlock the doors with her master switch upon your return.
  • slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    Does that happen only when you have your turn signal on? if so, it's normal, I have it , so does another camry
    it's quiet if you don't turn on the blinkers, I hardly notice it anymore
  • ritaworldwideritaworldwide Member Posts: 3
    I have been driving my new 2004 Toyota Camry LE with ABS for about six weeks (1200 miles).
    So far, I love the look, feel, and quality of my purchase.

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed a couple of items:

1) The defroster on the rear window does not seem to work near the top 4 inches of the window.
    The center of the rear window defrosts quickly, but the entire top portion seems to take a much longer time.
    I see the defroster wires in the window near the top, but don't know if they are part of the active area.

2) The acceleration hesitates slightly when I pull out from a stop position.
    It seems to be when the automatic transmission is shifting from 1st to 2nd gear.
    Once it gets past this hesitation, the acceleration is very smooth.

Everything else about the car design appears to be flawless...and its as quiet as a mouse !

Thanks in advance for your comments :)

Rita
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I don't own Camry, but from some other cars I know some lines on the rear windshield is the radio antenna.
  • slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    yes it doesn't defrost the whole top area, and I noticed the same thing with the stop sign, it happens more like coming to a stop sign but not stopping all the way then hitting the gas, it gets better as you put more miles on it, it's this new drive by wire system
  • onlyimportsonlyimports Member Posts: 29
    Is your Camry 4 cyl or V6. This topic has been discussed before. My SE v6 had this occational hesitatation when the engine is still cold but did not feel it again after the engine has warmed up. Most response think it might be the new "drive by wire" throttle system as some say it happens in the Aura TSX too using the same electronic throttle.
    Funny how these things hit so many people all at once. I called my dealer who told me the top lines on the rear window are the antenna.

Did you notice that when you pump gas there is no little flapper on the hole where you insert the pump? That is now the norm on the Camry. Not sure what the little flapper did but for some reason they saw fit to remove it.
  • dchoppdchopp Member Posts: 256
    Your Owners manual also states this.
  • jonrockjonrock Member Posts: 7
    So far, I am very happy with my 2002 Camry. I just discovered this page, and I'm reading with interest. We have the V6 XLE, with everything except Nav. I already have 46000 miles on it with my long commute (85 miles a day, mostly freeway).

Brakes:
    At about 30,000 miles, the front brakes started shimmying. I expected to resurface, but the dealer replaced them for free under a service bulletin. They said the old rotors were warping prematurely, and that the new rotors were an improved design.

Rattles:
    The only rattle problem I had was the front license plate. It rattled badly in crosswinds. I took off the plastic frame, and the rattling was greatly reduced. It now rattles only in very strong winds. Unfortunately there is a front plate law here in Calif. or it would be gone.

Acceleration:
    I am also annoyed with the hesitation when I try to accelerate quickly. I will try the battery disconnect soon. Could it be that the transmission learns its slow habits while we are breaking them in nice and easy? Or do I need a different transmission controller chip?
  • dmartincccdmartinccc Member Posts: 4
    three months ago, I purchased a V6 LE from a local dealer after having test-driven several Camry's (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003) that same day. one month later, after three long highway trips (3000 miles total), I noticed the transmission was not as "silky smooth" and "buttery" as I have heard . I also noticed this before the trips but was told it was symptomatic of the new engine and the vvti technology. I took the car back to dealer after experiencing sluggishness in going from first to second gear and experiencing winding noise from the engine, noisy engine idle while cold, noisy engine idle after driving, and slow acceleration from a stop. Dealer replaced my transmission at 4000 miles. A month later, the transmission seems just as sluggish and unresponsive in going from first gear to second. I also hear a resonance noise at 1500 rpm. Dealer reprogramed the ECU (100 and 100?). No change. I am very disappointed in this car and not sure what to do. The tranny "fix" has not produced a car that is silky smooth and responsive. The idle noise also bothers me. Any advice? Could the resonance noise actually be muffler. When I turn the car off, I can actually hear a rumbling in the muffler. I am not a crazy driver and drive mostly on city streets to my job. Dealer has been okay, but I wonder about the Camry transmission.

On another note, the Continental tires are horrible. I have only 8K on them and am thinking of buying Michelin X One. Any recommendations for a super quite tire that is T-rated?
  • zed421vzed421v Member Posts: 28
    Can anyone help. My driver's door opens and closes with no problem. Once inside the car, the door opens part way, but will not open all the way. It feels like the door is sticking. I sprayed lock and took car in for service. They too sprayed lock and door. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Check the Toyota forum...the Continental tires are complete crap...SHAME ON TOYOTA. The only place I can see them being of use is if you live somewhere with no snow or rain. Though they are super quiet, Toyota sacrificed saftey so they could claim their car is super quiet. I junked mine with only 15K miles on them for some BF Goodrich Traction TAs. So far they have better grip and do not spin as much. On the occasion when they have started to spin they tend to grip quickly. I still think the Camry is not nearly the best in the traction dept but the new tires appear to help. The true test will be in the next snow storm.

FYI, the Traction TAs are noiser than the Conti's... not sure what the Michelins will cost or how quier they are...the TA were $80 each installed.

Good Luck and be carefull!
  • dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Been reading about the unhappy owners of Camrys with Continentals and am curious if anyone's been able ot get their dealers to replace them with Michelins - or another, better tire - for nothing.
    If so, did they do it without complaint or hassle?

We have about 1500 miles on our 03 SE V6, and although I haven't really driven it in rain or slush, I don't want my wife to be driving around on tires that are not the best since it's her car and I want her safe.

Deke
  • bonovox80bonovox80 Member Posts: 5
    I bought my 2003 Camry LE4 in February. Indiana was at the tail end of a particularly harsh winter, and I could tell right off the bat the the Continental tires that came with the car were wretched pieces of crap when it came to wet, snowy traction. I just junked those Continentals (7800 miles) for a set of Firestone Affinity LH30s, and can immediately tell a difference. We've already had a bit of snow, and I haven't spun the wheels or slid through a stop sign yet (unlike with the Continentals). In short, I agree with Andrelaplume! Shame on Toyota for putting such dangerous wet traction tires on a family car! I ought to send Toyota the bill. Wouldn't that be funny.
  • scoutpinscoutpin Member Posts: 2
    I have a new 2003 XLE V6 with 5k miles.
    The car performs well and I'm very satisfied
    with my purchase.
    However, lately, I've been hearing a whining
    noise coming from the engine.
    I took the car to the service department and they
    told me it was the Balance Shaft, and sometimes
    it's louder on some cars than others.
    I don't know what a Balance Shaft is or what it
    does, so I could not talk to the service dept.
    about it.

Is there anyone with the same problem, or can
    someone tell me what a Balance Shaft is and if
    the service guy was correct about the diagnosis.

Thanks
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    Is the whining produced while driving straight or turning the steering wheel left/right? Do you feel the sound transmitted through the steering wheel?
    I am not sure what governs which tires come with which Camry's. You may want to be weary of the Michelins as well. My tire guy says Toyota strives to find the quietest tires for it's cars. In the case of the Conti's they scaraficed safety for a quiet ride. I'd check with Michellin on the Michelins tires on the Camry as far as traction as well.

I would think if you are closing a deal and the dealer has Camry's with both sets of tires they would not mind swapping out the wheels...you might also ask what kind of deal you could get by swapping the Contis for another set (which the dealer likely sells) Hopefully it would be considerably less than the cost of just junking the tires and buying new ones elsewhere.

Good Luck.
  • scoutpinscoutpin Member Posts: 2
    Don't fell it through the steering wheel.
    I can hear it at idle, especially when I start-up
    at a cold start.
    I can't hear it while I'm driving, only when
    I'm idling.

Thanks
  • jdeibjdeib Member Posts: 70
    I'm not sure about the V6, but on the 2.4 L engine on my 2002 SE, I had a Whining problem this past summer. When the car was idling I could hear a whining. It turned out that on some of the 2.4 engines, the drive belt was causing excessive noise after a few thousand miles. They replaced mine and I haven't had any further problems. Maybe there is a similar issue on the V6's drive belt.
  • matrix6matrix6 Member Posts: 3
    hi,
    I am new here. I have a new 2003 toyota camry LE. I love this car but my paint is badly damage due to acid rain. I am not sure whether it was like that from the factory or what. When I look at it from an angle I see water spots under the clearcoat. Should I get it Rotary buff or if you know another solution feel free to. Also do you think toyota would maybe cover it under warranty.
  • axe2axe2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 camri. When starting the first thing in the morning the idle does not rev up. I have to give it the gas to keep from stalling. I brought it to a garage and they put it on the computer but could find nothing wrong. After initial starting the car starts up fine the rest of the day. The situation is worse with cold weather.
  • camrysev6ownercamrysev6owner Member Posts: 66
    I've owned a 97 Camry 4 cylinder before buying the 2003 Camry SE V6 I have now. Not sure if anyone noticed it, but I'm sure that I have read in one of the car magazines that their drivers experienced it as well. Over the holiday I had a chance to drive down to the States. The high winds on the bridges blown the car off its course and much effort was needed to keep the car straight. I know that this happens to every car, but I'm just saying that the problem is more severe than the generation 4 Camry. Probably because the car is taller now? I was only going 100km on the bridge. Didn't dare to go faster. I saw some people going at least 130-140 on the high bridge. It's either that the cars they have are more resistant to winds, or they simply have better driving skills than me! I'm guessing that the straighter side panels than the old Camry have to do with it too.
  • camrysev6ownercamrysev6owner Member Posts: 66
    Anyone in Canada who had their brake rotors replaced by the dealer? Is it a different rotor that they replace? I have vibrations when braking and the dealer promised to replace my rotors. I just want to know if new rotors exist. If so, I will specify to the dealer that I want the new ones instead of the type that came with the car orginally.
  • redturq9redturq9 Member Posts: 6
    I'm enjoying a new 2004 I4 Camry XLE and its been a perfect car for my wife in every way but one...I couldn't find a local dealer with a Camry that had the power adjustable pedals when I bought it and my rather small stature wife must sit very close to the drivers side air bag to reach the pedals. I am considering aftermarket gas and brake pedal extenders, but they look a bit clumsy and I would much prefer to find an aftermarket installer of power adjustable pedals. Does anyone have any advise on this issue?
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    Anyone have a problem with the shifter on a 97 Camry LE? The car was driven about 400 miles and at the end of this run the shifter locked. It did feel a little loose but this a new problem. it has over 80000
  • floudonfloudon Member Posts: 2
    noise from all four wheels when cold or first thing in the morning- noise in left front remains. shows up especially on rough roads, pot holes, speed bumps I'm told A frame bushings by an independent with no fix other than a major A-frame re-bush. Any successes with strut/tower bushing change out? The noise is more annoying than anything else. Any success with dealer change-out?
  • mooselookmooselook Member Posts: 68
    Over the past year there have been sporadic posts about Camry's steering drifting to the left. We have a 2003 with 6000 miles on it and it definately pulls left on the highway. We've had the alignment adjusted by the dealer and a second time by a Goodyear tire dealer who printed out the specs, which are now dead-on. This drifting is not due to the road crown. I have a 2003 Saab that I drive on the same roads and it tracks straight and true. Does anyone have any info on this problem? There are numerous posts about this on the internet, but has anyone found a cure? Is there any hope for those of us who are drifting left???

****Mooselook****
  • balubhupenbalubhupen Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I brought a new camry about 2 months back.04 LE I dont drive a lot.Currenlty have 800 miles on the car.
    I recently noticed a noise coming from the rear when ever i apply brakes.I took my car to the dealer.He told me it is because of the Adjustor spring and its a minor problem and it should be fine after he replaced the spring.Since this is a new car and not my area of expertise,i want to know whether I can trust what the dealer is saying

Thanks
  • nellysamnellysam Member Posts: 1
    I was driving down the street and my car just cut off. no warning that I even had a problem. I try to start the car again to my surpise it wouldn't start. I change the battery two months ago. It alway has a fresh oil change. What could be the problem? It sounds like it wants to start but won't turn over all the way. Can someone help me?
  • j1ggl3xj1ggl3x Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Toyota Camry LE 30,800 and I started experiencing the creaking noise in my steering wheel a couple weeks ago. I took it to the mechanic and they found a service bulletin about it:

Technical Service Bulletin: ST002-03
    Issued: JUN 03
    Title: Steering - Steering Column Noise When Turning

The mechanic explained that it was a rubber lining that wasn't lubricated between the wheel and the firewall (not sure if I'm saying this correctly) or something of the sort. I saw the bulletin and it applied to 2002/2003 models within a certain range of IDs. He applied the grease at no charge and my horn still works fine. The wheel turns fine now.

This also falls under your 36,000/36 month warranty if applicable.
  • ivinivin Member Posts: 1
    since you said the scanner could not pick up the problem, i suggest that you check the water passages to the inlet manford.Their should be a thermal valve opening the air by pass system to let the vehicle idle up and afeter the wax in side has melted the by pass is closed and thus drops the idling to normal.
    I would recommend that the water passagers be cleaned and lets see what comes
  • jakee2jakee2 Member Posts: 2
    I found a 2000 Camry from a Toyota dealer that I like alot. The drawback is that it has 91000 miles but the price is within my budget. The car appears to be in good condition aside from general maintenance requirements. I know I need to change all the fluids, timing belt and tune up (around $500). I have made an offer of $8400 and they accepted. The car comes with a 12 month / 12000 mile waranty on the drive train. I am thinking of a lower offer before proceeding with a bumper to bumper inspection. Any thoughts on problem areas or repair issues to consider before I proceed?
  • gennagenna Member Posts: 4
    I dont have a owner manual.so i am asking what type of engine is in a 92 camry lumiere 2.0
    i recently change the rear disc pads and after that there is always a squeaky souund ,in the morning i notice that when i brake there is a sound in the front end also a sound whenever i turn the steering.
  • emtemt Member Posts: 39
    I have a 96 camry 4cyl and what is the recomended miles for replacement of the timing belt? I read the owners manual but it confused me more. The car has 66k on it now. Thanks.
  • profksprofks Member Posts: 12
    I believe that the interval for a 96 Camry is 60,000 miles. In other words, you are technically riding on borrowed timing belt time. However, I had a friend who ran his out to 96,000 miles before the belt snapped. There is obviously some slack built into the belt life, but if it does indeed fail, you will be having the car towed in for the replacement.
  • tcjontcjon Member Posts: 2
    I have an '01 Camry LE 2.2L with AT. When driving through heavy rain conditions +/or unexpected standing water, I suddenly hear a bizarre howling/roaring sound, and feel a very heavy vibration. I pull off immediately and wait about 3 to 5 minutes, after which time the problem resolves, and I can resume driving. (I don't turn engine off...) The RPM doesn't drop. The dealer mechanic said it might be the Traction Control system?! However, I don't think my car even has Traction Control. Anybody out there familiar with this problem, and who the culprit is; and what the solution is? Thanks!, tcjon
  • dtrickettdtrickett Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking at a 93 Camry LE that has been garaged for the last 3 years. The car hasn't run in the 3 years, (the owner passed away). The car is not on blocks, so chances are the tires will need to be replaced. I'm thinking its worth a thousand, taking into account any neccessary repairs... Any thoughts from the gallery ?
  • yzcouple03yzcouple03 Member Posts: 2
    Anybody have details on the buy back process?? I'm trying to get my '04 Solara SE Sport V6 bought back from Toyota. What kind of useage fee do they charge, if any? Any other fees involved. How do they compute your refund??? I have had the left pull problem the day I drove it off the lot... Chalk it up as another one bites the dust!!
  • jakee2jakee2 Member Posts: 2
    My question is about the engine problems with 1997-2001 camry. Does this relate to both 4 & 6 cyl. The way I understand is that the engine can run a little hot and break down the oil causing major engine failures and sludge build up. I am thinking about purchasing a used camry but I am not interested in paying the premium price that camry demands if the engine is questionable.

Thanks
  • liaisonliaison Member Posts: 49
    I have an 99 Camry CE and from time to time the accelerator pedal will stick. Anyone else have that problem and what was the solution? Also, there is a squeek in the front suspension whenever I go over a speed breaker on my street. Had something replaced under warranty a couple of years ago and wonder if it could be the same problem. Not sure but it may have been the struts or strut tops.
  • profksprofks Member Posts: 12
    I purchased a used 99 Camry LE sedan recently with 44,000 miles, fully aware of the reported sludge problems. I DID look at the dipstick carefully, and the first owner had meticulous records of all of the oil changes (which were conducted at appropriate intervals). As insurance, at 45,000 miles I purchased a genuine Toyota oil filter and took it over to the local Walmart where I instructed them to put 5-30 Mobil 1 full synthetic oil in the vehicle and use the supplied factory filter. I plan to change the oil in this manner every 5,000 miles. It is still less expensive than going to the Oil Spot every 3,000 miles and using non-synthetic oil. In reality, it may not make much of a difference using synthetic, but it only costs $27.88 with their filter, or $26 if you supply your own filter (cost approx. $4.50).

My only suggestion is to get the seller to provide oil change receipts BEFORE purchasing the vehicle - though this is a good idea with all vehicles, it is probably even a better idea with a 97-01 Camry. With regular oil changes the engine life may indeed extend well into that which we expect from a Toyota.
  • geneve72geneve72 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 01 Camry CE with 31k on it. While driving back home on highway, I noticed the steering wheel starts vibrating (light but noticeable) when the car runs at 65mph or greater! A friend of mine suggested to have all 4 wheels balanced. The vehicle is still under the basic warranty (5k or 6 months left) and I thought may be it is a good idea to go ahead to have the dealer check it out. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Usually caused by deposit buildup in the throttle body bore and back of the throttle plate. Remove the air intake ducting, have someone hold the throttle plate wide open, spray liberally with air intake cleaner (NOT carb cleaner), and scrub the bejeepers out of the throttle body bore and throttle plate, especially the back side, with an old toothbrush. Clean up the residue with absorbent rags and you should be good to go.
    Unlike Saturn, I do not think Toyota offers a buy back option. Sounds like if you have been to the dealer 3 times you need to invoke the lemon law...I wonder if pulling to left is covered. I'd think perhaps not but then who knows...wish rattles could be covered under the lemon law!
This discussion has been closed.