Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• stockcamstockcam Member Posts: 1
    97 Camry 66K miles; last major maintenance at 63K. On cold start I get this embarrassing clattering noise as if something was to fall off from below. It appears not from the turning belts or water pump, but somewhere closer to the engine/firewall, and more obvious if running idle between 1700/2200 RPM. It would go away after driving for a minute or two. Have not replaced the timing belt yet - am trying to isolate the issue if not relating to timing belt. Last winter I had the many-reported "cold engine start must step on gas till it warmed up" for the engine to stay running; nothing was done to it and I did have that same problem with a 94 Camry, but this winter got this clattering noise instead. I looked up this board and found a few similar reports, but there appeared to have been no solutions or findings posted since. Anyone?
  • flipper6flipper6 Member Posts: 30
    My 2000 V6 Solara also sometimes starts with clattering noise. It generally happens in cold weather and after the car has been sitting for more than a day. It may be that oil is not getting to the valves initially and it goes away when the oil starts pumping. I have found that changing the oil at the 3000 mile interval decreases the likelihood of the start up noise. I have not heard of any fix for this.
  • wanna2002wanna2002 Member Posts: 23
    My 2002 XLE V6 started chirping/squealing at about 39,000 miles. I took it to the dealer for the regular oil change and asked them to take a look. They acknowledged the noise, told me it was the drive belt and they adjusted the belt. They also said that the sound may or may not come back right away, but that there was nothing wrong with the belt (?weird?). At 41,000 miles (about two months later)the chirping began again. I called to inquire what was involved in replacing the belt and to confirm that it was covered by my 100,000/10 year extended warranty and was told that it probably would not be covered, but the dealer would confirm with the warranty company? Anyone have any insight as to why it wouldn't be covered? The belt should not be failing at 40,000 miles, correct? So if I paid for an extended warranty, why wouldn't it cover the belt?

Thanks for any input!
  • msagmsag Member Posts: 7
    This was posted by someone in 2002:

I have a 94 Camry 112000 miles 2.2liter.It's been a problem free car except recently it's been a disappointment. It started with the change of both CV axles because of torn boots,after the change I noticed vibration not so much on the steering wheel but under the floor board especially at 45MPH.Took it back and the mechanic agreed so he was nice enough to change both CV axles again and checked all engine mounts and I had the tires rotated and balanced but the vibration is still present. Has anyone had similar experience out there?Could the tires be balanced and still be defective?Should the alignment be checked even though the car does not pull left or right at any speed?

I have a very similar problem. My car starts vibrating under the floor, feels more in the front then back but felt throughout the car, whenever I go over 35-40 mph, vibration increases to it’s worst at ~60-65 mph, over 70 it all blends together, but you just know it’s somewhere there. I bought my car 2 month ago with 147k, and the first thing I noticed was a dog-bone mount at the top of the engine, practically completely deteriorated. I replaced all mounts except the transmission that looks fine. Seems that after replacing the mounts vibration got worst. I also did the breaks (replaced the pads only) myself, later to find out that calipers are probably dragging, because I have a hard time moving the rotors especially after driving for a long time. According to service records on this car from the previous owner it looks like pads and rotors were replaced numerous of times, but calipers never. On my car CV boots, boots only, were replaced
    not too long ago. Is there any way to replace boots (assuming you have to take it completely out of the car) or the whole axel and put it back the ‘wrong way’?
    I am really puzzled by this, anyone with the similar problem and hopefully solution?

Thanks,
  • msagmsag Member Posts: 7
    From my experience warranties are just a way to get money out of you, not a tool to help
    you maintain your vehicle in top shape….
    Usually items that ware out like break pads, clutches etc. are not covered under warranties. Check the small and then the smallest print on your contract, it probably lists all bunch of exclusion. I’d try some belt dressing on that belt, should stop the noise and prolong the life of the belt too.
  • gonkrazgonkraz Member Posts: 19
    To Raytoy44 - message 1786 and avidgolfer - message 1454
    Did replaceing the seat track take care of the drivers seat movement (shifting/sliding)?
  • 94supra94supra Member Posts: 32
    Very recently, my 1998 Camry XLE radio has been losing its station presets when I turn off the ignition. No matter how long a trip I take, it seems to hold the memory settings, but about 75% of the time it will lose the settings when I turn off the ignition for any length of time. I had also noticed what seemed to be an unusual amount of battery corrosion and I had recently cleaned off the terminals, but I didn’t see any improvement. Is there any sort of common problem that might be the root cause of this?
  • dchdch Member Posts: 4
    On my 03 Camery SE 4 cylinder there is a noticable ticking noise that sounds like a valve lifter. Its mostly noticable at Idle. Oil level is good and I use Mobile One. My Milage is 6700. Anyone else experiencing this problem? I will be taking it back to the dealer soon for a State Inspection and will bring this to there attention. If anyone else had this problem and or has any info about it. Please let me know.
  • kelsee88kelsee88 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a brand new '02 Solara in April 2002. The car was first serviced for a transmission leak at 24k miles. After being serviced for a leak again, the transmission was replaced at 37k miles. The car was serviced again this month for a transmission leak at 48k miles. Has anyone had similar problems or have any input? I'm planning on contacting Toyota, but I don't know what to expect. Dealership hasn't been helpful, and the car is not eligible for the lemon law.
  • themoon77themoon77 Member Posts: 102
    Just a quick Q for everyone.

My 89 Camry 4cyl sedan has a suspension problem. The driver's side back tire bounces up and down like a jackhammer when it goes over bumps, even small ones. There's lots of noise to go along with it. I can tell the handling is getting a little dicey, mainly on bumpy curves. Will a new coil spring cure it? Thanks in advance!

Edge
  • dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    I'll bet you need new shocks. Do the test - bounce the corner in question a few times and if it continues more than once or twice, your shocks are shot. That's the first thing I always did when checking out a used car before I even started it up.

Deke
    Thanks dekester. Yes, the car bounces up and down 3 or 4 times on that corner; but I got the car for 700 bucks so I don't really regret buying it. Any recommendations on what brand of shocks I should buy? I don't need the fanciest product on the market for this car.

Edge
    Go with whatever you're comfortable with. Doesn't Midas offer a lifetime shock? Pay once and never again?
  • vasyvasy Member Posts: 2
    I have a question about how to manually override the automatic air conditioning system. My 04 Camry XLE (4 cyl) is 1 month old.

Although the owner's manual is not totally clear about whether this auto A/C system is designed to let you turn off the A/C on a warm or hot day and just run fresh air ventilation, I would think it is designed so. But when I turned on the fan speed to any setting without pressing the "AUTO" button (the left-most one of the 5 buttons on the lower row), and set the temp to 72 when the outside temp was about 74, the A/C button's light was not lit (I did not press it), I opened the hood with the engine idling, I can see the A/C compressor's clutch and the radiator fans cycling on and off - indicating the A/C is running. As soon as I press the "*OFF" button (to the right of "Auto" button) to turn off the ventilation fan, the compressor and radiator fans stopped running. I was able to duplicate the result on 2 different days.

A related question - does this system allow you to defrost the front windshield without running the A/C? Both my 90 Nissan and 96 Subaru have a mode that lets you do so. My Camry has 2 defrost buttons for the front windshield. But both buttons trigger the A/C compressor and radiator fans. I understand that running the A/C is generally a more efficient way to dehumidify the windshield. But there are times when I prefer to blow the fresh air to the windshield without running the A/C. My 90 Nissan Maxima has 160,000 miles and I use A/C with great care, I run it for a few minutes at least once a month in the winter months to lubricate the O-rings in the refrigerant pipes, but I use it in the summer only when I really need to - only when it's quite hot. The result is that I never have to add any R-12 since I bought the car in late 1989 and the A/C is functioning like new.

I've read the same discussion for windshield defrosting on a Honda Accord group and found out the current gen Accord with auto A/C can not blow air to the windshield without running the A/C. Anyone with any input? I would not be very surprised if you can't blow un-air-conditioned air to the windshield but would be very surprised if you can't run ventilation without running the A/C or heater (it's not easy to set the cabin temp at exactly the right setting so that both A/C and heater do not run).

A call to the dealership's service dept did not yield any result. They told me to talk to the sales people. I'll go there in a couple of weeks to see if I can duplicate the same result in another Camry XLE.

I also found an interesting thing. The fuse panel in the engine compartment has a slot designated for the A/C system (10 amp in slot #4), according to P. 313 of the owner's manual. But there is no such fuse installed in my car and there is no circuit underneath that slot to accept a fuse. If I try to pop in a fuse, it does not fit tightly. There is no metal insert in that slot to hold a fuse. But the A/C does run.

Other than what I mentioned, this car is great.
  • mike1257mike1257 Member Posts: 10
    I'm beginning the the process of searching for a new car (I have an '02 Forester that I'm pretty happy with, and a '94 Nissan Sentra on very expensive life support), and for now I'm leaning towars a family sedan with the usual suspects on top - Camry, Accord and Passat. The Town Hall has been a source of great onformation in the past (though it's easy to get scared off of any car when you just read about individual problems!)

I'm looking at the '04 Camry XLE V6 auto, and would appreciate any comments regarding members experience regarding performance, reliability and options. Any thoughts about the Navigation System option? Any '05 improvements on the way to make the wait worth it?

Thanks alot.

Mike
  • wanna2002wanna2002 Member Posts: 23
    I posted a few days ago about my drive belt making noise and another problem has re-surfaced since then (on my 2002 XLE V6). The brakes make a very loud moaning, sort of grinding, sound with gradual, slow braking. It seems to occur more right after the car has been idle for as little as an hour. I brought this to the dealer's attention at my last service and was told it was dust/dirt on the brakes and that my brakes were in perfect shape. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • dmartincccdmartinccc Member Posts: 4
    I have posted on this site before regarding a 2003 Camry LE V6 that I purchased in September 2003. Since day one, I experienced problems with rattles, the alarm system, and generally less-than-expected performance from a car that is known for quality. My biggest disappointment came when I had my transmission replaced at 4K miles after noticing that the car was having problems shifting. Subsequently, I have gone back to the dealer several times regardin this shifting, resonance and humming at certain gears and certain RPM's. Dealer service techs have adjusted the ECU, told me the transmission performance was normal for the Camry because of the new drive-by-wire. My vehicle now has 16K miles of mostly highway driving since I have had to drive from San Francisco to San Diego about 10 times. The rest of the miles are local commute and errand miles. I finally got fed up with the transmission/engine underperformance and took the car back in once again. The dealer has had my car for four days and it looks as if the want to install ANOTHER transmission. This is my third one and I am not a lunatic driver. In fact, the dealer reps know me as a very careful and particular customer. I have had the car serviced regularly and try to keep my eyes and ears open for any changes in performance. Yet, this car is not whisper quiet, does not have superb acceleration for a V6, and does not have smooth shifting during normal driving.

Given that this is the third transmission for a car that was purchased less than eight months ago, do I have a lemon law case and what should I do? It is awfully frustrating hearing about how great the Camry is and knowing that I have yet to experience any of this greatness. I would buy the Avalon, but I would NEVER buy another Camry based on my experiences. I have driven the pre-2000 Camry's and they are excellent cars. This new model is just awful.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Sorry about your Camry.

To your left on this page, there is a link to an article concerning Lemon Laws under "Helpful Links". Hopefully, it will help you determine what to do next.
  • camryman5camryman5 Member Posts: 10
    I recently had a new engine put in my 2002 Camry LE 4cyl. which only had 28000 miles on it. The cylinder walls were burned. I bought it used. Anyway, Toyota rebuild a new engine for me at no out of pocket cost (The dealership said it would of been about $12000).

So, do I start my scheduled maintenance at zero again since it is a new engine or do I continue with the maintenance as if nothing ever happened? I would be due for the 30000 mile checkup now which will cost $300. However, do I really need all that stuff done if the engine only has 2000-3000 miles on it? Thanks for any advice!
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Edge:

See the Avalon site for more info. on shocks. Basically, they are the same shock that the Avalon, and Lexus 300 has, and usually they are a problem for these vehicles. This is the number #1 problem in Avalons, Camrys per Consumer Reports.

Take it to a competent, Frame and Axle, Wheel and Axle, etc. place. It is more likely the shocks than the springs. If you want a noticeable difference in handling, braking, with a more controlled albeit slightly stiffer ride, buy a set of TokicoHP shocks. They are markedly better than the OEM Toyota uses, IMO.

abfisch
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    You mean $1200 right? We had a new engine put in our Rav under warranty as well. We basically followed the book as though the engine was new. By the way, less than 20K miles later and it needs a valve job. Toyota says it is out of warranty and they can do no more. Sadly this was after I purchased my 02 Camry. Couple this with the Camry rattle issues and I might be in a Honda right now.
    andrelaplume:

Actually, they told me $12000, not $1200. Seems high if you ask me. I am very disappointed with the '02 Camry (Although I believe '02 is the first year of the new design). I might go with Honda for my next purchase if the problems continue. I have always heard that Camry's are so great...not in my opinion. My '97 Grand Am blows away my Camry in terms of maintenance BIG TIME!!!

Thanks for your post!
  • rivermanriverman Member Posts: 5
    Help! I have posted a rather long reply to someone last night on the pulling issue, can't find it now. I am having terrible problems and after the fourth attempt at repair, the factory rep said it was ok to have the pull and to adjust the wheel by having to tap or hold it!!!! Toyota has assigned a lemon rep or something like that to me, but I have been told my only option, for now nobody will touch the car, is arbitration. There is a tsb out on it, I have it, and feel stuck. Please let me know anything you have, even case number or incident number if possible.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Your original post is here in the Solara topic in Sedans.
  • 93camryman93camryman Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1993 Camry XLE with factory remote locking and security Fob. Recently, and on an intermittent basis, the parking and taillights which flash momentarily when pressing the locking/unlocking position on the Fob, have remained on. Once unnoticed they stayed on long enough to drain the battery. Any cause identification, solutions or suggestions for resolving would be greatly appreciated
  • lilgreg56lilgreg56 Member Posts: 12
    TRY THIS WEB SIGHT REGARDING TSB

WWW.ALLDATA.COM

DEALERS DONT WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT THIS SIGHT, BEACUSE THAT CANT LIE ANY MORE ABOUT PROBLEMS!!!!
    NOT SURE IF THE PULLING WAS CORRECTED AT THE DEALER OR NOT, I KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND SO DO THEY, BUT THEY ARE PLAYING DUMB.
    THE PROBLEM WAS KNOWN BY TOYOTA IN 2001, I HAVE 2002 CAMRY. GET BACK TO ME IF YOU NEED SOME HELP.
    THERE IS SOMETHING CALLED TSB (TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN)
    THE ARE 2 ITEM #S THE MAY PERTAIN TO YOUR PROBLEM, TAKE THESE #S TO YOUR DEALER.

ST002-03 ISSUED DATE JUNE/03........STEERING COLUME NOISE WHEN TURNING
     SORRY THERE WAS ONLY ONE TSB #

GO TO THIS WEB SIGHT AND YOU CAN GET ALL THE TSB #S FOR YOUR CAR. I HAVE A 2002 CAMRY SO I FEEL YOU.

WWW.ALLDATE.COM
                       GOOD LUCK
  • banddexpressbanddexpress Member Posts: 63
    Hi I have a 99 camry and its time for 4year 60000 mile service to be done. WHat I was wondering is the car only has 48k on it they are telling me it needs done now what I was wondering is do you think it would be ok to wait tell there is 60k on the car or should I do it now? I only put about 4k miles a year on it now it is our 2nd car. Thanks
    Darcy
    SORRY ABOUT THE BAD WEB SIGHT ADDR. BEFORE, I NEED TO CHECK MY SPELLING BEFORE I SEND. THE WEB SIGHT IS WWW.ALLDATA.COM, NOT WWW.ALLDATE.COM

SORRY FOR ANY PROBLEM THAT MAY HAVE HAPPENED
  • chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    The CEL is intermittenly on and off. The dealer could not find any code for it.
    Does anyone know what it might be?
    Sounds like an Oxygen Sensor to me. Intermittent flashing of the CEL is a good sign that it is failing.

Edge
  • chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    The dealer checked out the Oxygen sensor. It's OK.
    What bothers me is the CEL came on and stayed on for a few days then went away for weeks then back on again.
    I HAVE A 2002 THAT DOES THE SAME THING, CAMRY HAS KNOWN ABOUT THE DRIFT SENCE DEC/01 THATS RIGHT 2001, THERE IS A TSB # THAT TELLS THE DEALER OF THE PROBLEM AND HOW TO CORRECT IT. THE NEW # AS OF FEB.4TH OF O4 IS ,,,,ST002-04. TELL THEM YOU WANT THE DRIFTING FIXED PER THIS TSB #.
    WHAT THEY WILL DO IS REMOVE YOUR STRUT ON THE LEFT SIDE AND TURN A PLATE OR SPRING 25MM COUNTER CLOCK WISE AND THAT WILL FIX IT.

GOOD LUCK
    YOUR PROBLEM IS KNOWN BY TOYOTA SO MUCH THAT THERE IS A TSB # FOR THE PROBLEM,GO TO THEM AND TELL THEM YOU WANT IT FIXED UNDER THE TSB# ST002-03.PER JUNE OF 2003.

GOOD LUCK
    All caps is considered shouting.

Thanks.
    POINTING OUT THAT ALL CAPS IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING, IS CONSIDERED ANNOYING.

THANKS.
  • solara00solara00 Member Posts: 81
    Let's go with annoying over shouting....PLEASE!!

Annoying I can ignore. It's hard to ignore your BIG LETTERS!!
    Sorry about the caps all, no disrespect!!!
    Just wanted to help as much as I can. Im just so mad how Toyota is hiding all there problems with the new Camrys, then playing ignorent, even when there are tsb#s.
    You know, I do have a question. I realize we all come here for information. Do we tend to see only (or at least more) complaints than maybe the "average" Camry buyer has? In short, most people don't tell you how good the service was at restaurant A, but they will tell you when service was bad.

Another way to ask this....do the people who really have NO problems just not get on these forums? Or do "no-problem-Camry-people" not exist?

I'm looking at an XLE V6 Camry. Looks nice and we've had good luck before with 3 Toyotas. Any chance I can get one in 2004 that really is good?

Thanks!
  • dougb10dougb10 Member Posts: 185
    Solara00...you are probably right about that. Those with no problems just don't have the same incentive to post their thoughts. I guess I am one of them. We have an '03 Toyota XLE (now has 16,000 km.) and this car has been flawless.
    I am very picky about stuff that doesn't work right and am sorry to hear about the problems some people have on this forum.
    Can't say enough about our Yota...have a big grin every time I drive it and have Tina doing her thing through the cool sound system.

Doug
    We have a '94 XLE V6, a '97 XLE V6 and a 2000 SLE V6 Solara. My personal favorite is the 97, but all three have been tremendously good cars for us.

The 2000 Solara has a few more rattles than either the 94 or 97, and we've had a slight left pull alignment problem.

But none of these problems have been to any degree that would make me decide to go away from Toyota at this point. If we go ahead with the purchase of the 04 XLE, I'll let you know my thoughts. Good, bad, otherwise.
  • junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    We own a 2002 Camry V6 LE, asembled in Kentucky, with 17,000 miles. We have not experienced any problems with the car nor have we heard any rattles. It is possibly the best new car we have purchased in 40 years of auto purchasing experience.
    Really have had nothing to complain about. I just had a question about the tranny "kick" and it's probably me not being used to the drive by wire system. We experienced a creak in the dash, but it was when the temps were at 20F or lower. Nothing else to report, but we "only" have about 3680 miles on our LE V6.

Dealer was a dream to buy from and service at. My wife had purchased a new Tercel in 1991 and we put 72000+ miles on it until this past Summer when the relay from the control box to turn the cooling fan on went out. Spent some time and $ replacing what we thought was wrong - found out how to just leave the fan running all the time and it never overheated after!

I figured if that lil' 1.5 Liter four banger couls survive my heavy foot - and I was exclusively a V8 RWD man - and still come back for more, Toyota won me over. I was always a non-import buyer, but I've been impressed.

Sure there are those who have lemons, but so do domestic and European import owners. My father in-law has a 2003 Mercedes E320 that has spent a lot of time in the shop for computer replacement, a new radiator, trans work, etc.

My brother in-law who was a Mercedes buyer and owned a few GMC Suburbans bought a Sequoya!

Toyota quality is the main reason we bought the Camry last September. If they made a wagon, the dog would be able to take trips with us, but I don't want her in the car....yet!

Deke
  • hboydhboyd Member Posts: 98
    1) My front brake rotors warp every 10-20K miles; (Steering wheel shutters when I brake); I have to get rotors re-lined and/or new pads about every 18 months; Any suggestions?

2) Idle-speed control valve gums-up constantly -- about every 5-10K miles; (car won't hold idle in morning); four ISCVs replaced under warranty, but problem always comes back. Any suggestions?

These are my two on-going major problems that I am having with my 1995 Camry LE-4cyl;

Can anybody recommend a good Toyota mechanic reasonably near Disneyland in Southern California?

Thanks, Martin
  • larryk7larryk7 Member Posts: 2
    Ok, this is frustrating. I keep getting code PO135 (Bank 1, Sensor 1, Heater). I changed the 02 sensor that is immediately in front of you as you face the engine from the front (2000 Camry V6). Best info I had said this is Bank 1, Sensor 1.

I did however use a Bosch sensor and spliced/soldered the wires. I am confident the wires are OK. Do I have the right sensor located? Or, is the other sensor before the cat Bank I, Sensor 1?

I had all codes cleared after I replaced it, but the light is back on. Just had the code read again a few minutes ago, and once again it is PO135

Any help appreciated.
  • mattlavoiemattlavoie Member Posts: 2
    I have two issues with my brand new Camry.

1. when turning right there is a pulsing in the steering wheel...the dealer replaced the entire steering rack with no success, any ideas what is wrong?

2. Also, when turning the steering wheel to the extreme right, contact is made between the side wall of the tire and the inside of the right wheel well, is this normal?

PLEASE HELP!
  • csaxoncsaxon Member Posts: 8
    larryk7 The one you see facing the engine from the front is heated O2 sensor (Bank 2 sensor 1) The one in the rear of the engine is heated o2 sensor Bank 1 sensor 1. This from page EM 30 of the factory repair manual. It also helps if you know if it's a california model..they have some things different but not this.
  • hank2hank2 Member Posts: 76
    I believe most of us like the reliability of the Camry, which is why we are here. Unfortunately, we have learned to have higher standards and are disappointed when the Camry doesn't live up. And I believe they should live up to their reputation for reliability, because I would go buy a Honda or something else, otherwise.

That said, I have a 1989 Silver Camry DLX with 200K miles, which cost me about $14K new and about $2000 in repairs over the past 15 years. That does not include normal maintenance. But it does include extended wear, such as water pump, alternator, air conditioning, mostly in the last 4 years. Then engine sounds looks and sounds perfect. I consider that NO Problems.

The only reason I'm getting a new car (which is why I'm here) was as preventive maintenance, before I have to put money into the car. However, I have no problem giving this car to my nephew for free. I figure that's a $2000 gift, and his father expects that it'll be a bargain, even if he (father) has to pay $2000 for repairs over the next few years.

- hank2
  • cutemorganitecutemorganite Member Posts: 37
    My friend has had her '04 Camry Solara SLE V6 fully loaded (nav) for about seven months. Anyway, her brake light came on the other day, but the dealer can't look at it until Thursday. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what was the solution. She is scared that her brakes will fail and I told her it is probably a sensor or something.
This discussion has been closed.