Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• paul29paul29 Member Posts: 178
    Yes , can be a bent rim or also an out of round tire or a broken belt . If rim and tire check out ok , try having the whole wheel assembly spin balanced on the car.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Check back a few posts, there was a link to all the Camry TSBs. My dealer replaced a bezel for the radio. It still vibrates though. The car is a rattletrap. It has other positive attribues but is inferior to prior Camry's IMO. Others will tell you the rattles were corrected in the 03 & 04s. The comments in the rattles forum tell another story. It will be interesting to see when / if this all catches upo to Toyota's rep. They are already offereing a rebate where as Honda is not. Too bad, it is a wonderfull car but the constant buzzing, vibrations, rattles, creaks, pops etc would force me to reccomend a buyer at least look elsewere before a purchase.
  • lilgreg56lilgreg56 Member Posts: 12
    SORRY FOR ALL THE PULLING LEFT BUT TOYOTA HAS KNOWN ABOUT THAT PROBLEM SINCE DEC OF 2001.TELL THEM YOU WANT IT FIXED PER THE TSB #ST002-04, WHICH HAS BROUGHT TO THERE ATTENTION AS OF FEB, 2004.
    THIS SHOULD FIX THE PULLING, BUT DONT LET THEM TRY TO TELL YOU THEY DONT NOW ABOUT IT. PULL UP THIS WEB SIGHT WWW.ALLDATA IT HAS ALL THE TSB #S AND PROBLEMS.,,,,,,GOOD LUCK
  • lilgreg56lilgreg56 Member Posts: 12
    I see you do know about the tsb, as far as the radio rattles not being fixed, there is a possible fix that may sound a little crazy. Tsb# nv002r-02 which is the ( catalytic converter shield rattling)When it rattles it sounds like its coming from the radio. MY 02 had the same problem and a friends 03 had this problem as well. Good luck
  • paperboy1paperboy1 Member Posts: 3
    I read a post about a left pull on a 2002 model. My daughter just purchased a 2004 Solara and today she told me about a slight left pull. Can anyone update me on whether this is an ongoing problem? I realize this may only be a slight alignment or air pressure problem but I would like any history before she goes back to the dealership if possible.

Thanks in advance.
    Nevermind. I found all the ammo I need at a place called ToyotaOwnersClub.

Thanks anywho.
  • juzefmarjuzefmar Member Posts: 4
    A few posts ago, I posted that my car was misfiring. It was true, indeed, the fourth cylnder was not firing on time. I own a 2000 Camry V6 XLE and I put 178,000 miles on the car.
    It ran beautiful until a few weeks ago, when suddenly the car started to vibrate during certain speeds.

I changed the spark plugs, the first mechanic, a young lad, proclaimed reluctantly that my car was
    over the hill. That the engine was pretty much dying and this is why changing the spark plugs didn't help the vibrations.

I was a bit dissapointed and was actually considering a BMW 330. That's another story.

Well, I took the car to another mechanic, slightly more experienced it seemed. This person checked out the car and determined it was a faulty coil. Unfortunately, this coil had to be bought from Toyota and the coil comes in an assembly with the injector which the mechanic said I didn't really need but I had no choice but to buy it and install it as well. After purchasing the coil/injector assembly costing a total of $450 including parts, labor, and taxes; the car runs like brand new again!!! :)

My confidence in Toyota has been restored. The engine is running so smoothly, the same as when I first got it.

I highly recommend the Toyota Camry V6 to anyone out there. The only draw back is I won't be buying a 330ci :) which although dissapoints my spirit, relieves my budget.

It's important to report the good with the bad. It's important to report the truth. I felt obliged to inform everyone.

Best Regards and good luck with your cars,

Joseph
  • camryman5camryman5 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks, I'll mention that to the dealer. I'm bringing the ol' Camry in for 6 different rattles/TSBs. However, the radio rattle seems to stop if I just apply pressure...I guess I could just drive around holding the radio all the time...thanks Toyota.
  • rogmanrogman Member Posts: 24
    Samir.....Thank you for the reply. Been back to dealer twice. They cannot duplicate the problem. The problem is it doesn't do it often. I will look into reprogramming transmission. Dealer wants me to come back and drive with technician.....
    Hi lok888....I have the problem when going up small incline or larger hill, but not all the time. Been back to dealer twice. No known TSB. It is a very strange problem. I have 2004 LE 4 cylinder. I will keep after them. Please keep posting.....
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    samir & rogman - Thanks. My friend's '02 Camry LE V6 (nearly 20K miles) has the similar experience when doing incline lately. He first stepped on the gas and feel nothing happen. Then RMP slightly goes up and back to normal. We first thought the air filter, lower gasoline grade (87 octane for V6??), A/C pump on, etc. He will bring it to the dealer before the factory warranty expires in months. We hope it is about the transmission re programming. On the other hand, my wife's '03 Camry SE (4 cyl) exactly one year ago. It has over 6000 miles (drive locally) with no problem or issue, except the light steering at highway speed.

samir - I bought a Kia Sorento before buying the Camry for my wife. My Kia service people have been great. They offered me a rental at no charge in several minor problems which required few labor hours. And the people in Kia Consumer Affairs have been helpful to me in resolving some issues.
  • qibbleqibble Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for the info paul29

I was told that my sensor had gone or going but the Toyota service people were asking over 600 bucks to do the service. Could you tell which sites would carry the part? And I'll try to get someone to install it for me.
    Well, just an update. My daughters dealer took the car immediately and made the repairs to the left pull on the spot. The car drives straighter than straight now. Their digital allignment machine was down, so they called Midas and made an appointment (paid for of course) so all final adjustments can be made. They also gave my daughter another Camry to use while repairs were being made. Oh yeah, lunch was on them also.
    So, as far as our dealership goes, they are top notch. The only problem I have is, you would think after years of this defect, they (Toyota) would build the fix in!
  • adamprattadampratt Member Posts: 6
    Hey folks,

Can anybody offer advice on this?

Vehicle details:

97 Camry LE, 100,000 miles, interior VERY clean, exterior has several chips and small scratches, just had struts, oil pan, and a few others things replaced in March for $1500. KBB says it's worth about $4500 in a private sale.

Repair Decision:
    Dealer says the rattle in the engine compartment is a broken engine mount that needs replaced. I guess it some sort of support bar and the under mountings and they qouted me about $1700. I choked and they offered 20% off which knocks it down to about $1350.

Other Factors:
    I don't drive the car much anymore and the vlue is pretty low so I'm hesitant to put any more money into it. On the other hand, the dealer said the car won't even pass emissions with this problem which puts me in a real bind.

Questions:
    1. Is their estimate reasonable or should I take the car somewhere else to have the repair done for a better price?
    2. Should I just live with the rattle until it either dies or fails state inspection and then junk it?
    3. Should I suck it up, do the $1350 repair, and hope for more years of driving?

Thanks!
  • andy71andy71 Member Posts: 96
    Do you know any good independent mechanic? If you do try getting an estimate from them. I usually don't take my cars to the dealers for maintenance purpose after 75,000 miles. My 95 Camry has been serviced by an independent mechanic for last 3 years. I am extremely pleased with his services. My 95 Camry had a gasket leak at 105,000 miles about 6 months ago. The dealer's estimate was $1345 so I took it to this mechanic who was referred to me by colleague. His estimate was $429 parts and labors. That is a huge difference in price.
    Answers: (I hope)

1. Get a second estimate from other dealers or repair shops. Dealers will find ways to maximize their profits for employees' salaries and other operation expenses.

2. I am sure you can fix it for less at some independent repair shops with ASE trained techs.

3. It depends how long you wish to the keep plus possible future maintenance & repair costs. I was lucky to sell my '93 Accord with 100K miles (well maintained) last year I used the money as a down payment for a new car. I was tired of maintenance and repair cost.
  • paul29paul29 Member Posts: 178
    When I gave you the price on the sensor I showed the max it could be I did not check where you were and gave you a price on a California spec vehicle . I see you are in NY and if it is a non-Cal spec vehicle the price runs about $106 . I would double check with the dealer to make sure it is the O2 sensor you need ( $600 ? ) and which one , before or after the cat. Try www.oxygensensors.com ( very fast shipping) not endorsing but have purchased there and there are others Pep boys , Napa etc . You will see the OEM type which have the proper plug or a universal type which you wire in or transfer your existing plug to the sensor wires.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    in my case it is not the converter...if I hit that litle shelf area above the radio by the clock the buzzing noize goes away...for a while.
  • valvalvalval Member Posts: 6
    Hello! Sure hope someone can help us out here! My sister has two intermittent probs that are driving her crazy, and making her car unsafe.
    1. Key will not turn in ignition until she forces the steering wheel back and forth multiple times.This happens about 70% of the time.
    2. Drivers window goes down and sometimes will not go back up. No motor sound. If she keeps trying the switch, it eventually works. This happens about once a week.
    Both problems started in the last 6 months or so. Thank you for any help you can give.
    Val
  • bronzemaxellbronzemaxell Member Posts: 55
    in regard to:

1. Key will not turn in ignition until she forces the steering wheel back and forth multiple times.This happens about 70% of the time.

most vehicles have steering wheel lock mechanism where if you removed the key and turned the steering wheel, the steering wheel will be locked, i believe the inserted ignition key won't turn either, unless you insert key and turn the steering wheel at once to disable steering wheel and allow ignition key turn to acc or on.
    rogman, samir and jonintheoaks - I learned more about the gear shifting on my friend's Camry. Again, he has a 2002 Camry LE V6 with 19500+ miles. I drove his car Friday for the time. The car suddenly upshifted when accelerate on flat road surface or slow incline from a full stop. It is even worst when I drove the car today. The car seems losing power when I was taking off. I felt I was driving an old Mercedes diesel car. The car isn't moving much when I first stepped the gas padel., like the car is in "N". The car then suddenly upshifted when hitting the gas really hard. My friend takes good care of the car and replaced air filter a week ago. It sounds like a transmission problem which requires programming like some mentioned before. I suggest him to bring this to the dealer's attention.
    Thank you! But she has to really struggle turning the wheel back and forth. This morning it took her ten minutes of twisting the wheel before the key would turn. She's had the car since '97 and this problem has just started in the last 6 months or so.
    Val
  • zheka78zheka78 Member Posts: 4
    I have a '97 Camry LE. Last year I changed front and rear brakes including pads and rotors/drums. Recently I noticed that the brakes seem to engage when the brake pedal is right near the floor. Also the car seems unwilling to stop and I am afraid that during emergency braking I would have to push the pedal all the way against the floor and it might be not enough.
    Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone have any ideas on the cause and/or the cure.

Responses are appreciated.
    Thank you.
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Member Posts: 70
    Val

I have a '97 LE also with the same exact problem with the driver's side power window. Mine is less frequent (every couple of weeks) but very annoying. I have not had it looked at yet.
    Her window problem was infrequent for the first few months. Anyway, she's taking it to Toyota in the morning - I'll let you know what they have to do.
    Val
  • peter panpeter pan Member Posts: 75
    Recently I revved th eengine up to 5000 RPM when the red ALT light lit. I replaced the alternator. It was charging OK. When the engine is off for a few hours, the (new) battery is completely drained. I disconnected the 2 connectors at the alternator, the battery is still drained. All fuses are OK. The starter had been replaced a few weeks before.
    Has anyone encountered this problem and had was able to repair it? Appreciate your advices.
    Check the rubber ventilation line in the back of gas tank. It is clamped to the tank and most likely has a loose connection which drips gas, especially when the tank is full, or on cold days when the gas pump delivers more gas to the fuel injector, thereby having more gas on the return line.
    This problem could create a fire hazard if you are not careful.
    I am having a similar problem with a 89 Camry with 250K miles on it without any problem. After replacing the alternator, the car completely drained the battery with the engine off. I disconnected the alternator but the car still drained the battery, which suggested that something else is draining the battery, not the new alternator. How did you solve your problem?
    When the engine is hot, metals expand and the worn teeth on the fly wheel are probably stuck on the new gears on the new starter. When it is stuck, the engine will not crank. When the engine cools down, the starter ususually retracts the solenoids and it would start again.

You could knock sharply on the starter with the lug wrench. The solenoid would be pulled back. A permanent solution would be to replace the flywheel so the gears would mesh better.
    Sure sounds like a trans problem, but it must fail at the dealership before they will fix. The problem is a little different than mine, but they could all be trans related. Please let us know how it turns out.
    I suggested my friend to bring his car to dealer. Isn't it (transmission) cover by the 5 years or 60000 miles powertrain warranty? My friend afraid any experience repair before the basic warranty expires by August/September.

Yes. His case is different than yours. His car has almost no power when accelerate like hitting the gas in "N" gear or driving an old diesel car in cold morning without warm up. But it is fine once the car is in motion. I will let you know the outcome. And perhaps he will need the extended warranty if he intends to keep the car for long.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Have you checked or have someone check to make sure rear drum brakes are properly adjusted? Using the handbrake when parking is supposed to adjust for the slack(gap) caused by wear. Check owner's manual for how many clicks one should feel when applying the handbrake.
  • joescarjoescar Member Posts: 30
    The car is supposed to upshift, isn't it? So what's the porblem? Also, it's supposed to downshift when going downhill with the brakes applied. That's the logic computer telling the car to provide motor breaking when benificial. Joe
    The trans should be covered under the 60/60 warranty. Thats 60 months or 60,000 miles. Maybe your friend will be lucky and get a whole new trans put in. Please keep us posted.
    What's the problem? I am too want to know. And I know car is supposed to upshift. I know well about the shifting think. The problem (not benefit!!) which my friend is going to raise to his dealer is lose power when accelerate and sudden upshift. Imagine you step on the gas in "N" gear or driving an old diesel car.
    Thanks for listening. I hope it will be a simple transmission re-programming. I will keep you update.

Anyone know who responsible for TSBs when the factory warranty expires? I know manufacturers will not notify car owners when TSB occurs (can be found at NHTSA site), only recalls.
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    I have not tried out the 4cyl A4 but V6 A5 transmission is not smooth at all. It's annoy for stop and go traffic for A5 transmission. It would be better put in L3 in this situation.
    Has any one brought the car to dealer(s)regarding this problem and they fixed successfully ?
  • hank2hank2 Member Posts: 76
    I'm not positive about your description, but I had a problem that was kind of similar. I got my Master Key and got a new key made at the local hardware store for a few bucks.

Some Camry keys have a little nub that can wear off after 3 - 5 years, resulting in the symptoms you described. If you don't have the untouched Master key, the dealer can get a new key from the key number that you got with the car.

Let us know if that helps.

- Hank2
  • gautamaroragautamarora Member Posts: 16
    Hi,

I too have similar problems with LE v6 04 A5. Car lacks pickup when starting from a stop. I feel that my Honda Civic had more power than V6 Camry. Gears upshift without giving needed acceleration to the car. I took my car to the toyota dealer and he did a road test and said there is no problem. I am not convinced with him.
    If there is no TSB for this problem, 99% that dealer would refuse to recognize it. My car is LE V6 as well. I wonder if any one with XLE V6 has the same problem ?
  • gautamaroragautamarora Member Posts: 16
    Hi Cam2003,

"If there is no TSB for this problem, 99% that dealer would refuse to recognize it"

I wonder, that there no TSB for this when almost everyone is experiencing same problem ?

Why is toyota not considering this as a problem ?
    Can this disccussion bring this problem to the notice of Toyota ?

I want to add to my post above that the acceleration is smooth when cat is first started after it has been sitting for 8-10 hrs. And with in minutes of driving(after temp reached in the middle) the accelaration goes down.
    I just spoke to my friend about the lose power and sudden gear shifting when taking off. His dealer just fixed the problem without any documentation. I think they used some kind of computer to diagnose the problem and re-programmed it. I wish I could talk to him again about what is the cause. To others, if this the same problem that you are experiencing, I doubt dealer has found nothing. Again, my friend's car is 2002 Camry LE V6 (A4 transmission?) with 20,000 miles.
    "I want to add to my post above that the acceleration is smooth when cat is first started after it has been sitting for 8-10 hrs. And with in minutes of driving(after temp reached in the middle) the accelaration goes down."

When the engine was still cold, the car only run in 4 sp. When the engine was hot, the 5th gear (overdrive) started to kick in. That what you experienced.
  • mikevaughnmikevaughn Member Posts: 7
    '94 V6 XLE w/181000 miles. Just had timing belt replaced. Check Engine light on now, error code was EGR valve. Dealer said intake manifold needs to be removed so EGR passages can be cleaned (big $). He reset light but back on in 2 days. Any experience with this? Thanks
  • ggongggong Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Camry SE V6. I have the same problem. But dealer tell me if the check engine light is not on, it would not be a problem.
  • guevinjguevinj Member Posts: 15
    My 1998 Camry 4 cyl. with 50,000 miles has recently developed a starting problem. The car is garaged overnight, and the problem only seems to occur during the first start in the morning. Without touching the accelerator, the car will start to turn over and, instead of catching immediately, will grind and grind. On the next attempt, if I give it gas while turning the key, the car will start. Subsequent starts during the day, when the car has been outside, are not a problem. It has been humid here recently and I wondered if having the car in a closed garage overnight is keeping moisture in and causing the hard starting. This has been happening with more frequency lately. Any ideas? Is a trip to the dealer in order?
  • tomgreen1000tomgreen1000 Member Posts: 18
    Hi,

Living in California. Finally got a fix it ticket for no front plate. Does anyone know of a bracket or similar that will allow you to attach the front plate without drilling/screwing directly into the front bumper? Thanks!

Tom
  • solaraman2003solaraman2003 Member Posts: 92
    I am going to drain my transaxle on both my 2000 and 2003 Solara SLEV6. I would like to also drain the differential fluid.

Can anyone tell me precisely WHERE I would then FILL these two vehicles with the differential fluid ?

Thanks.
    There is no "differential" on a front drive automobile. Change the automatic fluid using the PROPER fluid and that's it.
    My 2004 Camry LE came with Contis and I have to say they are dissapointing. As the miles pile up, they get louder and I recently found one tire to be out of round. I'm at a loss trying to find a dealer within 100 miles who will make a warranty adjustment. They are terrible on snow but OK otherwise including rain. I hope they wear out soon so I can replace them with a quality Bridgestone or Michelin. Anybody else have any grief with these tires?
This discussion has been closed.