Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    I have a 97 with 108K miles and never have that problem.
    If the seller say it's a cheap fix (about $200?) why don't you get a quote from the dealer 1st to find out how much they want for this kind of work.

it should not prevent you to buy that car only if the price is right.
  • buick72buick72 Member Posts: 9
    Hi..

Does anybody have programming instructions to add a transponder key to a 2005 Camry??

I found a couple of programming variations from prior years, but nothing that says it will work on a 2005 model.

The key will be a Toyota-OEM key..so it will be 100% compatible.

Thanks,
  • tiklartiklar Member Posts: 1
    Just got a used 2000 Camry. One transmitter was bad. Got a new one, now need programming instructions.
    What I was provided and what Google has yielded so far appears to be the VIP programming instructions for the RS3200 when the system was Dealer/Port installed.
    According to Toyota TSB EL008-02 (Dec 2002), I need Factory Installed programming instructions identified as: RM 01 V2, BE-86.
    My remote has 2 buttons on the front and no LED.
    Anyone have the instructions or can summarize the steps involved?
    Thanks,
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    A shot in the dark here....my wife has an older RAV that periodically would not start. A few minutes later it would. The battery was checked out, alternator etc. It turned out to be a 'nuetral safety switch'. I think it is some switch that will only let the car start in nuetral or something...evidently it got confused. The car was fine after it was replaced. Of course her Rav is older and you Camry new but I mention this because I now someone who has a NEW Rav and seems to be having the same problem. Of course that switch is not something generally looked at on a new car by the delaer I guess....couldn't hurt to mention it.
  • toyoman1toyoman1 Member Posts: 52
    Hey Everyone.... I got my tranny issue all worked out from months ago... it was a hundred dollar fluid change and now it shifts fine. I have one question. Should the cooling fans turn on when the engine is at operating temperature. I drover about twenty miles and the engine temp stayed halfway up as always, but when I stopped for gas I checked the oil and noticed that no fans were on. SHould they be??? They BOTH turn on when i turn my AC on. The car just hit 164,500 this week so maybe I am paranoid. At any rate could someone educate me on my cars cooling fans, my Haynes manual wasnt much help. THanks!!!!!!! HAPPY DRIVING
  • beegeebeegee Member Posts: 1
    Does an estimate $330 to replace the radiator and thermostat and drain the coolant on 1995 Camry seem right?

Thanks in advance!!!
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    You can buy a new radiator at Partsbin.com for $135.00 ( no sales tax, free shipping), Toyota OEM thermostat cost $16, two gal antifreeze $20. They want the rest in labor........Replacing radiator is not difficult.

Joe
    Hey Everyone.... I got my tranny issue all worked out from months ago... it was a hundred dollar fluid change and now it shifts fine. I have one question. Should the cooling fans turn on when the engine is at operating temperature. I drover about twenty miles and the engine temp stayed halfway up as always, but when I stopped for gas I checked the oil and noticed that no fans were on. SHould they be??? They BOTH turn on when i turn my AC on. The car just hit 164,500 this week so maybe I am paranoid. At any rate could someone educate me on my cars cooling fans, my Haynes manual wasnt much help. THanks!!!!!!! HAPPY DRIVING
  • bagibagi Member Posts: 2
    I see that the driver side power window doesnt scroll up once I
    roll it down.. It does go up partly after sometime.. It is so
    annoying that in the toll place I open the door instead.. :-)

Anyone has seen this problem?

thanks
    your fans are fine. they supposed to work that way.
    if they are not working properly, your car would have been overheated already.

when AC is on, your engineer is working harder and the water will get hotter. your fans will turn on to help cool down your engine as well as the AC component.
  • psrao99psrao99 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all

Recently our 1998 Toyota Camry LE 4 cyl got wrecked on rear side. I need to replace the trunk opening and the bumper below. The mechanic suggested me to change the rear suspensions also so that the car can be better. After the mechanic changed the rear suspension, the steering wheel became very hard when taking turns and also ABS light on the dash board is continuously on. He could not figure out the problem on his own. I took the car to the dealer to check regarding ABS light and found that rear side ABS speed sensor is not working. Can any one please suggest whether ABS light and steering wheel getting harder are related in anyway and what would be the best way to resolve this.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
  • ray_paray_pa Member Posts: 10
    I'm used to firm brakes in other cars. this one is truly unexpected.
    barely stopped at the red lite this morning. wow, that's dangerous. :(
    should I take it to the dealership?
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the brake system. For whatever reason, the engineers made the pedal feel soft. Some people like it, some don't. After 2 months in my '05 Camry I drove the Olds Intrigue that I sold. That pedal was so hard, it almost felt like manual brakes.

I think most people adjust to whatever they are driving. Unless there is air in your system (highly unlikely), there's nothing the dealer can do about it.
  • suchinsuchin Member Posts: 1
    Hii...

I have a 91 camry with 130K on it. Suddenly my cruise broke down.. i can see the green light glowing when I press the cruise button but when I put the car in to cruise mode its not working....

anyone had such a problem..what can be the problem...

thanks!!!bye..
  • oreoandioreoandi Member Posts: 2
    I have just experienced similar interior leaking problems with my Camry and was
    wondering if you had any luck finding where the water was coming from?
  • oreoandioreoandi Member Posts: 2
    I'm experiencing similar problems with water inside my Camry. So far, my mechanic can't locate the source of the water. Have you had any luck solving your water problem?
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    I do not mind it 's too soft but it's a no no for traveling too far.
  • psciortinopsciortino Member Posts: 22
    I had my Camry repaired yesterday. I paid for the parts. The dealer paid for the labor. The car was out of warranty. All I asked for was the dealer to "participate."
    The light is off!
  • bostonarea1bostonarea1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 V6 (rear disk brakes) which I found soft initially. I took the car for a quick drive down a hill and applied the brakes hard for a few seconds (just short of causing the ALB to activate) and then released them. I repeated this a few times and I noticed much improvement in the brake. The car now has 1,400 miles on it and it seems the brakes have gotten even better. Maybe the brakes just need to break in.
  • turtlejamesturtlejames Member Posts: 3
    My dad just bought a 2005 Camry 4cyl and is complaining of water sloshing sounds coming from the engine. Dealer claims that some of the new cars are experiencing this problem, but nothing can be done. Something to do with the cooling system. Anyone else experience this or know of a solution?
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    Are you sure not coming from gas tank ?
  • drtraskdrtrask Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Camry and need to obtain switched power for a radar detector. With the switch for the sunroof in the overhead console, I know there's switched power there. BUT, how does one gain access to this overhead console? There are no visible screws on the console or above the eyeglass holder. Your thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be most appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!
  • lallalalla Member Posts: 1
    I had the exact same problem and it was the power steering (PS) belt. The PS belt is below the alternator belt. You need to remove the front passenger side tire and the access window that is secured by two 10mm bolts to see the power steering belt properly.

If you plan to do it yourself, post a note on the forum and I can advice the procedure.
  • turtlejamesturtlejames Member Posts: 3
    No, had an Audi with the vacumn gas tank. It's not that sound. The water sound is coming from the front of the car and actually sounds like its sloshing around when you accelerate or turn. Tested it out last night. Also, has a weird cellophane ticking noise from the driver's side door. It's driving my dad nuts. lol.
  • ravimuppravimupp Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Could you please tell me what parts got changed to make the engine check light off and how much it cost you...

thanks
  • campbell3campbell3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi:

My check engine light went on in my 2000 Camry LE, and I went to Auto Zone to have it read. The message it's giving is "A malfunction exists in the electrical circuit for the vent control in the evaporative emission control system."

Does anybody know if this is a problem that needs to be addressed right away, or if it can wait until the next time I go in for an oil change?

Thanks!
  • psciortinopsciortino Member Posts: 22
    I suspect the parts list is a function of the diagnosis. My parts list:
    Valve assembly, EGR --$177.50
    Gasket, EGR valve - $1.03
    Gasket E.G.R. INL $1.60
    Valve ASSY. EGR V $67.08
    Valve ASSY. Vacuu $80,74
    Total: $327.95, plus tax
    Labor was free although the car was out of warranty.
    Toyotapart.com states that they sell OEM Toyota parts wholesale to the public.
    Good luck.
  • suzannes1suzannes1 Member Posts: 11
    ANYONE ELSE WITH CONVERTIBLE TOP PROBLEMS????
    (Danbury, CT)
    I have a 2004 Solara convertible (White with Tan top, this seems important to everyone ), which I had to have the entire top replaced, including all bars, belts, etc. The explanation was the alignment was off which created the fabric to rub against the molding and the fabric to tear. It was suppose to be completed in 3 days, and my car was in service for 35 days! All the parts were on back order from overseas! I also had problems with the windows leaking water, and had to bring it in 3 times, finally I took pictures of the leaks in order for the dealer to fix it... what a waste of my time. My convertible is now starting to vibrate and rattle again, which is how I found the problem the 1st time!
    IM SCARED TO BRING IT BACK! AND THE DEALER HAS BEEN NO HELP, AND A JOKE!
  • newveinsnewveins Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Camry that seems to stall and misfire right after I fill the tank up with gas. It will continue to stall and misfire until I use up about 3 gallons of gas. This happens every time I fill the tank. Has anyone else had a similar problem with a Camry? by newveins
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    That is the flag that comes on most often when the gas cap is not closed tightly or if you filled the tank with the engine running. It is the sensor that checks if there is gasoline evaporating from the gas tank - in the event that there is a leak in the tank. For a first time indicator, I would recommend that they just reset the light. If it comes up again, have the sensor and/or the gas tank checked. Hope this helps.

Ken
  • liaisonliaison Member Posts: 49
    Does anyone know how to replace the metal clip that makes the fuel filler door open? The metal clip fell off today and now the door will not stay open unless I hold the floor lever up and have someone open the fuel filler door. I can also wedge something under the lever and then walk back and open the fuel door. I have the clip but it looks like the the piece that holds it on broke off. Any suggestions. Also, I took a trip this week and when I got to my destination there was water in the glove compartment. May have been condensation but I have not noticed it before. BTW, 99 Camry, 73k.
    Can someone tell me the symptoms of a bad water pump... My camry is leaking coolant up to a full reservoir a day. I squeezed the top radiator tube to see if the "surge" would come that tells me the water pump is working. I felt no surge but I did notice that when I squeezed it, with the engine running of course, green coolant came spilling onto the ground directly below the radiator in two different places... Anyways, is this gonna be an expensive fix??? Any guesses???? The car has 165,000 is it even worth fixing? Thanks all.... HAPPY MOTORING
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Seems more likely that your radiator may be leaking. It may be necessary to replace the radiator. I believe the Toyota OEM radiator is about $300, but aftermarket radiators may be available at about half that price. Labor to install is minimal.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >green coolant came spilling onto the ground directly below the radiator in two different places

I'd sure do some looking with a flashlight to see where the green coolant is coming out. If you're not seeing a drip, under pressure with engine hot, but are seeing it when you squeeze the rubber upper radiator hose, I'd suspect a hose clamp or the hose from radiator to coolant recovery tank or a leak in the hose that opens only when flexed or pressured just right -- I've had that long ago and it was like a pinhole leak.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

at 165k miles, YES, it worth fixing!
    seem like it can be a do-it-yourself fix.

Just replace the hoses 1st, then the radiator
    Well, I found the leak!!!! The top of the radiator on my car is a plastic material. Just behind the passenger side cooling fan where the top of the radiator meets the coils is where it is leaking. That explains why it was dripping from the bottom of the cooling fan housing. I took it too a garage and the mechanic said that the radiator on that year camry is really the only cheap part under the hoods of these cars. He quoted me $277 for a Toyota OEM radiator and 90 in labor. Its there getting fixed as we speak. The mechanic also said that the radiators on these year camrys have a life of about 110,000 miles, so I was lucky to get 165,044 outta mine. Anyways, thought I just thought id update everyone... thanks for all the feedback and support and as always HAPPY MOTORING

Toyoman1
    Good. I'm surprised he didn't recommend a replacement that was more durable than the Toyota original. That means in another 100K expect the radiator to be gone again.

• ricareyricarey Member Posts: 25
    I would get it checked sooner rather than later. My mechanic said it was no big deal and turned off the light for me. I then wound up having to not only replace the vsv valve and charcoal canister, but also the upstream o2 sensor and spark plugs. Seems that the improper handling of the exhaust led to other engine components being damaged. Since your problem is in the electrical system I would guess that it may be a problem with wiring to or function of one of the many evap system valves.
  • tenjaeetenjaee Member Posts: 1
    I bought this car, used, from the dealer about six months ago. It has the factory installed alarm. The alarm went off for no apparent reason about a month or two after I had bought the car, so I took it to the dealer and they showed me how to set the valet mode. That done, I drove off b/c they said as long as I didn't touch that button it would forever stay in that mode.

A month or two later the alarm went off again and is now going off with growing frequency. At this point the alarm has been going off just about every other night and I'm sure it has gone off during the day when I have left my car at the house. I have tried to not lock the doors or lock the door from the inside without using the remote and the alarm will reset itself and still sound with the same frequency.

What is causing this?!?! How can I fix it? The dealership is asking $500 to uninstall the alarm or up to the same amount just to have it sit at the dealership for them to "catch it in the act" so that they can figure out what is wrong.

Any ideas? Please? My neighbors would greatly appreciate it...
  • commish1commish1 Member Posts: 30
    my 05 Camry SE V6 is still hesitating (after 4 fix attempts) and I want to drive it through a wall! Thanks!
    Yeah like my car is gonna last another 100K LOL Although it is a yoda so who knows!!!!!
  • niki1niki1 Member Posts: 52
    To All,
    Has anyone been experiencing BAD engine tapping (like valves) when the vehicle is in gear? My 2005 Camry sounds like my 95 Beretta, which has bad valves. The dealership changed the main drive belt, but that did nothing. The area rep. for Toyota reviewed my file and stated that the problem is a caricteristic of the 2005 4 cyl. Camry, and this was determined without him/her putting eyes or ears to my vehicle. Toyota said they stand behind the area reps. decision, who just started working for Toyota, and that they will not make anymore attempts to repair this problem, and that I need to arbitrate my case. This vehicle has 1500 miles on it.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    NIKI1
  • niki1niki1 Member Posts: 52
    Toy,
    The key work here is plastic!! Exact same thing happened to my 95 Beretta last week at a cost of $260.00. Sounds like you got a great price for to Toyota!

NIKI1
  • tipektipek Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. To open the fuel door I have to stick the key from the top and then walk back to use the lever to open it. I've been doing it for 6 months now and I also would like to hear how to fix it.
    I own 98 Camry with 106K.

Rafal
  • tipektipek Member Posts: 2
    Last night I've noticed that I have some kind of leak under my car (98 Camry V6 LE. 107K) My car was parked there for only about 20 minutes. I thought that this might be leaking coolant or water from AC, but unfortunately the substance on the driveway was greasy. I poured beside little bit of coolant to see if that was the case. I think it was oil.
    I don't drive to work so today after work when I came back home I saw new spot of dark substance under the car. I've checked the oil level and it seems fine.

Also, when I bought my Camry back in 2000, I've got letter from Toyota stating that if I will ever have any problems with the oil leak, Toyota will fix it for free. I turned my house upside down and I can't find it :(
    Does anyone got it too?

Thanks,
    Rafal
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Member Posts: 70
    I had my 97 Camry with 82K miles towed in last night. My mechanic said the timing belt broke and does not know at this point in any damage was done to the engine.

Is the 2.2 L 4 cylinder a non-interference engine?
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    That is correct, it is a non-interference design.

Ken
    So like everyone knows I went yesterday at 6pm to get my car. Everything is great it is running fine. But today I decided to take a look under the hood and get a closer look at what the mechanic did. The top of the new radiator looks brand new, as far as the plastic goes. Also the radiator cap is new, but what worries me is that I when I looked at the fins on the front of the new radiator I noticed that some where slightly bent and some with a little rust on them, it looked dirt and used is what I am trying to say. This cant be possible after driving it maybe ten miles home since yesterday. Is it possible that my old radiator was repaired??? Or did I get a remanufactured one??? I guess the point is that the leak is gone, but did I pay 277 for a Toyota OEM radiator and get a remanufactured one??? What do yall think? "HAPPY MOTORING"

Toyoman1
    You probably were priced a new one and got a remanufactured or repaired radiator. If you question it, they will probably try to say you were given the price for a rebuilt or the new ones have dented fins.

I was given a rechromed rear bumper for a repair on a car once when the insurance estimate was for a new one. I had the dealer replace it with what I paid for. The owner of the Ford dealership was nasty.

• trighttright Member Posts: 2
    Update: I got a schematic for the car, and I was able to check that 1) the motor works and 2) the switch works. But the switch does not seem to be getting power. Power is supplied from what on the schematic is called the "Power Main Relay." Unfortunately, the CDROM I have does not show where that is located. Is this the same thing as the "Engine Main Relay"? Does anyone know exactly *where* the relay is located? Any help would be appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.