Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cougar Support Group - A New Start

Comments

• meowlammeowlam Member Posts: 9
    daexpert - Great job sticking to your guns! I'm so glad you stuck with the Cougar too.

MTX is the best -- take it from someone who spends much of her time crawling on the freeway in rush hour (the only drawback to being a SoCalif girl). I feel much more connected to my kitty, and I think that MTX makes me a more aware driver. Here's a great hint I got years ago -- think of the clutch like it's a dimmer switch. Good luck, and have f-u-n! :-)
  • stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    ferrywhistle:

We added a new subtopic to the CSG discussions that you can type up your full experience with the dealer you chose. If you click the "Topics" button at the top of this page, it'll list the CSG subtopics, one of which is Dealer experience. Thanks!

Hang in there Malibu, only a few more weeks!
  • dasaint1dasaint1 Member Posts: 230
    ferrywhistle:
    You can ask your dealer for the born-on-date. That's how I got mine. They have a computer printout that tells them when the car will be made in the factory, then they add about 2 weeks to determine delivery date.

It might take you more than a couple of hours to detail the Cat. It took me about 4 hours on Saturday to wash and apply polish wax and 4 hours on Sunday to wash and apply clearcoat wax. But then again, it's my first time detailing a car, so I took my time and kept reading the directions over and over just to make sure I don't skip anything.

Malibu:
    Yeah, I hope by the time you get your Cat, you're still "one of a kind." But if not, you could always dye your hair black. :>)

Meowlam:
    Right on about mtx. After driving an atx for the past 8 years, it's nice to go back to a stick. You're definitely right about feeling connected 'cause you're using all your limbs to drive the car (no offense to anyone driving an atx, especially someone whose name begins with an H :>) ).
  • krnchkrnch Member Posts: 127
    Hey bad-man,

Are you still planning on posting pictures from your DC get together last weekend?
  • badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    Daexpert:
    CONGRATS! I'm really glad you were able to get rid of your problem Cat and get a nice shiny new one.

Malibu:
    For GREAT detailing tips, see Jimbo_G's detailing write up on the CSG home page at: http://home.att.net/~cougarsupportgroup/reviewlahs.htm Everything he reccomends I use, Jim knows what he is talking abour when it comes to detailing.

-Rob
    http://home.att.net/~cougarsupportgroup
  • badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    Krnch:
    We will be posting some pics from the meet in VA sometime next week. I just got my pictures back yesterday. I scanned them and sent them to Stageleft last night so he can arrange them on the home page.
  • daexpertdaexpert Member Posts: 140
    I will be picking up my cougar tonight and tomorrow nice and early I'll be learning to drive manual. Hopefully, this car is in good condition because I didn't even get to test drive it since I don't drive stick!!!

You guys have any tips on driving manual transmissions? Let me know if you have any, thanks guys.
  • ambercadabraambercadabra Member Posts: 56
    Wow you guys sure talked a lot since I was gone..

Dsaint - thanks!! I've been nervous since this is my first new car that somehow I've been getting screwed on this whole deal. I feel so much better having someone tell me I got an ok deal. WHEW!!

I guess I got lucky in another respect, too - my dealership had my EXACT car on the lot. No locating, ordering or anything. I wanted it, so I got it. The only reason I had to wait was because I had to get rid of my old Z, and I wasn't about to let a dealership screw me out of a trade in value. All in all though, the dealership has been fantastic - polite, courteous, and IMHO, honest. I cant WAIT to drive my purrin' lil' kitty cat off that lot...

daexpert: like anything else (and being a musician myself, familiar to me)..practice, practice, practice. Take your time, find yourself a buddy who knows an MTX, and try not to lose your patience. Trying to muscle around a 2,000 pound piece of metal doesn't work very well. It takes a little time to get used to the feel of the clutch...shifting is the easy part. Getting going is the trick. Good luck!!
  • halo_1halo_1 Member Posts: 27
    Has anyone seen the Autobytel Commercial...The Cougar is the star of the commercial.

It starts out with the viewer being in the point of view of a paper boy. The paper boy tosses a about three papers perfectly on three seperate lawns. The last thing he tosses is a car that twirls in the air. When the car lands in front of the house, it is our Cougar.

If L/M doesn't want to advertise the Cougar, at least other companies like the car enough to put it in their commercials.

BTW, the Cougar also makes an appearance in the movie a "Stir of Echos" with Kevin Bacon. Actually, it is a pretty cool shot of the Cougar being cleaned by someone.

Just thought you would like to know this info...
  • jadejade Member Posts: 10
    Ok, after catching up on posts upon my return from a business trip, I'm about to go outside and get some pictures of my kitty's aftermarket sunroof. We have MORE headroom and not less with it installed, and I keep seeing posts saying it cuts back on the space.

Since I just got a nice new shiny digital camera, I need something to try it out on. :) So expect some pictures later.

On a sadder note, I now have two dings in my passenger door. F******g inconsiderate SUV drivers. NO ONE in the spaces on either side, and I come back out and this monster truck is parked RIGHT next to me. Grrr. SUVs must die.
  • ferrywhistleferrywhistle Member Posts: 30
    daexpert:
    Congratulations! You must be thrilled. I also have some advice for you on how to drive a stick. First of all, be patient. I too bought a stick without knowing how to drive it (it was a 89 Probe GT, which is funny because it seems like a lot of people here have had a Probe GT) and it took me about two months to feel comfortable. I stalled and jerked and grinded for a week or two. After a month I was alright, but still sweated if I was stuck at a light on a hill, but after two months I was a shifting fool. The other helpful thing I can tell you is that first gear is just to get moving. I used to wind it up so high, then my stepdad rode with me and explained I should only be in first long enough to get the tires rolling then go to second. Another helpful hint is to drive with the radio off at first. You want to learn how to listen to the engine and recognize when it wants to shift. The rest is just practice. Drive in an empty parking lot or country road at first. After you get the hang of it, you'll never believe you drove an automatic. It really makes driving fun.

jade:
    I agree. SUV's must die. I hate those damn things. They're everywhere and they drive like fools.

all:
    Well, I was supposed to get my cat tonight, but couldn't. Looks like 10:00 tomorrow morning now. Maybe I spoke too soon about my dealership. I'll let you all know how it goes. Wish me luck. I might need it.
    I feel sorry for the next person who ends up buying your lemon Cougar. Hey, Badulah and Stageleft, maybe we can get the VIN on Daexpert's lemon Cougar and post it and warn prospective used Cougar buyers to avoid it (if anyone is in the market for a used Cougar).

As for learning manual, I hope you're not doing this solo. Have a friend who knows how to drive a stick. Keep an eye on the RPM gauge, don't go over 4K rpm in any gear (so that helps as to when to shift). When you get better and after breaking the car in (I mean the engine and not the clutch), then you can push her to the limit. Avoid any areas where you have to drive uphill. That's a definite no-no.

You do know about the reverse. There's a lever that you pull first before you can engage the reverse gear.

Good luck. Once you learn, you'll have so much fun driving her.
    What's this about a lever to go into reverse? I'm picking up my 5sp tomorrow, so you've piqued my curiousity.
    I definitely agree with you. I have a factory sunroof, and I have more headroom as a result. You have an aftermarket sunroof and have more headroom as a result. It seems like it's only the two of us, though.

Be careful with what you write on your post. You should be getting an e-mail from Bonnie sometime soon about using pro#$nity.

I definitely feel your anger. Everytime I go to my car, I check both sides to see if there's any dings. So far, so good. But I dread the day (I know it's going to happen someday) when I see one. Yiiiikes!!!
    The 5 forward speeds engage normally with the clutch. But the reverse gear has a safety feature. You must first pull the lever using your index and middle finger in order to shift her into reverse. It might be annoying, but it'll prevent you from hitting reverse instead of 4th gear.

If you can't picture what I'm talking about, ask the salesman to show it to you. If you don't know where it is, you might not notice it.
  • fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    Happy Birthday to you
    Happy Birthday to you,
    Happy Birthday Dear Cougar
    Happy Birthday to you.

Its my Cats Birthday today.
    Its One year Old, and 21500 miles.

Funny thing about that Reverse lock-out
    I was at the Daytona beach Car show, where the Local L/M dealer
    brought a new 2000 cougar with, and the guy
    driving it, couldn't get it into reverse...
    I sorta had to help him out a bit.
  • jdicejdice Member Posts: 24
    Jade, Dasaint1,
    What I mean when I say less headroom with a sunroof is that overall, you usually need to build the mechanism onto the bottom of the roof, and then build the headliner over that, so you lose that space taken up by the mechanism. Granted, there's a small hole in the roof where the sunroof is, so there's `more' headroom there. I don't know about you, but it really annoys me to have to drive with my head tilted to the side so that it's in that extra space, and not drive with my head aligned straight, so that it's below the normal roof and not the sunroof.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I just got my May issue of Car & Driver and there is a Long Term Test of the Mercury Cougar. As with their Comparo test a few monthes back, they did not give our Cat rave reviews. They had negative comments on the seat confort. They harped on this for about 1 full page. Some good points were: Acceleration, handling and maintenance. They said the Cat was very dependable. The only time the car went in for an unscheduled stop was when it did not start one morning. That make me feel good about my Cats long term dependablity. Has anyone else read this article?
    Jade:
    I don't know about you, but I don't mind driving with my head tilted. Actually, it's kinda fun. :>)

Fish8:
    I haven't read the article. Actually, I do have a complaint on the seat comfort. I think that the headrest is a little too far back. If I wanted to rest or sleep (not while driving, of course), you'd have to tilt your head a little too far back to reach the headrest to be comfortable. It would've been nice if the headrest were able to adjust fore/aft instead of just up/down. But otherwise, the seats are fine.

Another thing is the gas mileage. I have about 450 miles on her, and I do mostly city and a little highway driving. However, my average mileage is around 19 mpg. Does this increase after the engine break-in period?
  • mws0520mws0520 Member Posts: 45
    We listened to customer's feedback on the seats. In 2001 model year we will go with a new seat which is more comfortable.
    I was lost but now am found. I've made my way over from the old site to the new. I assume this is where most of the posts will be?

Malibu's car: I'm not sure if I saw yours going down the line but I did see a lot of Cougars being born. What a sight. I wonder if child birth is as exciting. Never mind, I'm sure that will raise a few comments.

body side moldings - they are more for looks rather than function. A proposal has been submitted to me to raise the body side moldings four inches on the car. I think it changes the look. Any one care to comment?

Dealer kit - some Cougar owners receive a gift box a few weeks after they purchase their vehicle (contains paint sample, pen etc). This is a gift from the dealer which they pay for themselves.

Seats - see post above.

Sunroofs - I need customer feedback. Should our sunroof be glass (like so many others) or should it stay the same (metal and color keyed)?

Delivery dates - these vary due to the shortage of rail cars in the US. We are producing more cars than the rail companies can handle. The dealer in Toledo receives his on a truck direct from the factory (about an hour away). California dealers receive theirs by rail then by truck. Patience my friends.

Tuxedos / overalls / surfer dude???? I prefer international man of mystery.
  • mouse409mouse409 Member Posts: 34
    We are very happy you found your way. Without you we would loose a great source of info.
    Side Mouldings, I kinda like them where they are bout they are not much protection. (selective parking helps)
    Seats, they are fine but Sal and I are not big people.
    Sunroofs, solid no glass please IMHO
    Today is our first drive in ihe kitty since putting it up for the winter. Had to wait to get the salt off the roads. I have been starting about every three weeks or so. Cant wait to drive it again, it will be like getting a new kitty all over =^..^=
  • stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    MWS:
    Glass sunroofs are nice if the headliner slider doesn't take any headroom, but since they're design pushes back, I fear this is a necessary evil when dealing with them. The solid one, however, doesn't need that function, so I guess it's a matter of whether it's going to raise the price or not. :^)

I don't have the sliding roof on the Cougar, but my wife's Explorer has the glass kind. I like it a lot when I drive that I get the open-top feel in the rain.

Body side mouldings are fine, but to be honest, I didn't even know they existed when I bought my Cat in July 98. Then again, there were some things that weren't available on the early 99's, like side airbags, and those nifty Cougar heads in the inside door handle. But I do believe in "form follows function", so if their function is to protect from door dings, then raise them, but if their function is looks, then it's owner preference, as usual.

Take care everyone, happy Cougaring!
    Welcome back, Mr. Cougar Man of Mystery.

Is there any way of getting those "more comfortable" seats onto my 2000 Cougar without me paying full price for them?

My only complaint on the factory sunroof is that it doesn't retract all the way. But I think in the long run, the solid sunroof is more durable than the glass one.

I'd be shock if Park L/M sends me a dealer kit.
    MWS - As you said, relocating the molding up 4" will most likely change the lines of the car. I like them where they are. Even though they do not provide much ding protection.
    MWS0520 - Do you ever read reviews in car magazines such as Car and Driver? Are these reviews taken seriously? Just curious.
    Damn where busy this morning!!!
    You mean to tell me you don't have the little cougar emblem near your interior door handles?
    I didn't know that!!!!
  • jayhawk5jayhawk5 Member Posts: 70
    Please don't put the side moldings up any higher. I really feel this would ruin the lines and sleek look of the Cougar. As far as the seats, they are bearable, but more comfort would be an added bonus. I like the sunroof the way it is (I have one). I can't imagine my car with a glass moonroof on top, I think that would ruin the look of the car. It would be nice to have a fully detractable sunroof and a glass panel underneath it (if that's possible). I feel the most strongly about not moving the side moldings up though. All in all, I love my car! This is just nitpicking.
    One more thing: since everyone here, including me, is very concerned about door dings (and we all know the moldings are useless and really just cosmetic), how about making the doors "ding-proof" like the Saturns?
    You're busy this morning!!!

No Cougar head emblem on the interior door handles--man, that really bites the big one. I feel for you, Stageleft.

Hey, if you're a car mag buff, you should also read Consumer Reports--they're really the only ones that test cars objectively.
    Ok, I was out late last night and didn't get my pictures posted, but here are the links:
    http://www.gallerydigital.com/jen/car/sunroof1.jpg
    and
    http://www.gallerydigital.com/jen/car/sunroof1.jpg

I just read the post above about having to tilt your head when you drive to my 6'2" hubby who drives my kitty, and his response is "yeah, if I'm sitting on a phone book!", so he agrees that the aftermarket glass roof did not remove any headroom in my car.

And since we had the car a week before the sunroof was installed, we had something to compare it to. I wasn't sure if I'd like the glass better than the factory one, but it's been almost a year, and I DEFINATELY like having the open space above my head: the light just makes it feel more open inside. MWS, I'd definately lend my voice to the suggestion of replacing the metal sunroof with the glass.

BTW, I discovered its very tough to get good pictures of the interior of my car. Especially trying to get a shot of the roof.
    Oops, I typoed: the second link for a pic is:
    http://www.gallerydigital.com/jen/car/sunroof2.jpg
  • ptailorptailor Member Posts: 42
    Jade:
    I have the exact same sunroof in my car as you do! (The only difference is that your switch is located in a different spot than mine)It looks really nice since my car is black and the glass is tinted black. Do you also have the sliding sunshade with vents?

mws0520:
    I prefer a glass roof. It makes the car feel alot more open. It reduces that 'closterphobic' feeling. A downside to having the metal roof is that the headliner on the sunroof collects dirt. (Since the sunroof retracts to the outside, the headliner on the sunroof is exposed to the outside airflow. This causes all the dirt in the air to stick to it. Glass roofs don't have this problem, and are easier to clean)
    Hi all,

I have the aftermarket glass sunroof. I actually like it more than the manufacturer's sunroof since I had the opportunity to compare the two. But, that's all a matter of preference. Maybe in the future L/M could offer both option to the customer. Like Jade said, it is great to have the sun shine through the top while you are driving in the winter months. It doesn't matter during the summer months since most tops will be open. However, the aftermarket sunroof scrolls back farther than the manu. sunroof.

In terms of seats, my seats are pretty comfortable, but you are all right about the headrest, my head can't reach it. Nevertheless, I took a close look at the driver and passenger seats of the new Toyota Celica. The Celica's seats are so plain for such a sporty looking car. I think the Cougar's seats, both front and back, are stylish.

Finally, about the body side moldings, don't move them up, you will definitely take away from the car's New Edge design.

Well, gotta go. I'm glad you found your way here MWS.

HALO_1
    Actually, your sunroof is similar to the one I have installed in my CAT. The only difference it seems is that the control on mine is on the center of the panel.
  • rickelrickel Member Posts: 34
    The lawyers have struck again! While I can't imagine more than 5% of Cougar owners actually putting a child seat into a Cougar, I am forced to have a glaring yellow warning sticker on the subject on my sunvisor, which is right in my peripheral vision as I drive.

I thought that this beef would fade as I became accustomed to my new Kitty, but it actually bugs me more and more as time goes by.

What might I use to cover up those stupid stickers, or better yet, remove them? I want the visor to look reasonably good after that. The darned stickers seem to be ironed on, so it won't be easy to remove them.

Thanks!
    Rick
    Well, I got my cat. I picked it up and noon today. I've already washed and waxed it and put 150 miles on it. I must say, I love this car. I have always loved to drive, but this is unbelievable. I don't want to stop! I just went to the gas station to get some water, just for an excuse to drive it. And I'm suprised nobody has mentioned this, but I think the instrument panel lights are the coolest I've ever seen. I love that red glow contrasting with the green. I'm so glad I got the MTX. This thing MOVES! I really can't believe some car magazines and reviewers have complained about the acceleration. Did they drive a different car than me? I have figured out already that black is going to be hard to keep clean. A quick ten minute drive after washing, drying, and waxing I already had a fine layer of dust over it. Anyone got any suggestions for that? Is there anything I can use to just wipe the dust off without scratching? It's just a fine layer of surface dust.

It all makes sense to me now. I now understand why people have been posting on this board for two years. This car is addicting. And I've only had it one day!
  • jayhawk5jayhawk5 Member Posts: 70
    Congratulations on your new cat! I'm not sure what you could use to keep it clean, that's why I ended up with a Sapphire blue one. MTX rules. This is the first car I've had in 10 years that's not an automatic, and I missed stick- I don't think I'll ever go back. Even in Washington DC traffic I don't mind it. Happy Cougaring!
    I have the dealer installed glass sunroof. My only concern with it, is that when it is open and I ride over bumps in the road, the damn sunroof rattles. For example, yesterday I had the radio off, the sunroof open, and while I was driving at times it felt like the damn sunroof was going to come off. Is this normal for an aftermarket glass sunroof that goes up and over the car instead of into the car. Any help will be appreciated, since if it is a cause for concern I will address it next time I go in for servicing...

Thanks,
    Halo_1
    Congrats on your new Cougar. I hope you enjoy it and love it as much as all (most) of us in here love our Cougars.
  • rickelrickel Member Posts: 34
    I have the dealer installed sunroof, also, and I have not had any problems like the one that you describe. The sunroof is rock solid at all times when open.

The motor sounds as though it came from a child's Christmas toy, but as long as it works, I am happy.

Now about those warning stickers...
  • dgeminidgemini Member Posts: 161
    Enjoy your car! So, do you have the V-6 or the I4?

Anyone else notice those gas prices going down? What a relief! However I don't think I will go back to using 89 octane. I like how my car gets better gas mileage with the 87.

Take care all! I start a new job tommorrow, wish me luck!
  • coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    Hello everyone...and congratulations to the new kitty owners. Hang in there Malibu...not much longer!

Took my first long haul in the cat, had sun & rain (those stupid weathermen were wrong AGAIN), but she handled beautifully in all of it and of course lots of admiring glances. Headed down to Raleigh NC where I saw nary a one on the roads! However, I did manage to weigh the car down with several pounds of pollen and so leaving Raleigh she looked more green than sapphire!

Overall trip averages: 29.4 mpg/58 mph
    Highway-only numbers: 32.3 mpg/69 mph

The seats were comfy for the long trip, which is great because I was a bit worried about that. I am finding out though that I reallllly realllly want a CD changer installed. Hit long stretches of road without good radio and having to listen to just one CD at a time wasn't enough.

Now all I need is a little sunny weather and I can clean her up again and get the road grime off.

Happy Cougaring everyone!
    Thanks for the feedback on the sunroof issue and the body side moldings.

Auto Mags - My team and I read everything (good and bad). We take the hits and roll with them. We try to improve on the items we are criticized for. It takes engineering work though most times. Our government has managed to create loads of regulatory requirements that everything must comply with.

Seats - sorry you can't get them. Just on the new ones.
    We are testing a Cougar website to tie in with our College Grad program. Students who graduate from an accredited four-year college, junior college, community college, nursing school or trade school within 120 days of vehicle purchase are eligible for an additional $400 customer cash (on top of current incentives). See the site for more details.

As part of this test, ANYONE who goes to the site can enter our sweepstakes to win $500. We will be giving away $500 a week for the next few months.

You can also send on-line postcards of the Cougar to your friends.

Check out the site and let me know your feedback.

www.mercurycougarcollege.com
    I got the V6 with MTX. It really is a blast. The only thing I've noticed is the dome light doesn't work when it's set to the 12 second position. It won't come on at all. And it doesn't ding when I leave my lights on or don't put my seat belt on. I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can take it in. It's no big deal, but I'd like everything to work. Other than that, not a single complaint.
    Halo_1:
    I got the factory sunroof. I use it as often as I can. The factory sunroof does not rattle at all--it's rock solid. So definitely have yours checked out by the dealer.

Coolchick:
    I know what you mean about that single CD in-dash stereo. Now I wish I took the option for the CD changer, but if I remember correctly, that was a $500 option. To me, it wasn't worth paying all that money.

Is there any way of adding an aftermarket CD changer to our single CD stereo without having to change our factory stereo (this should be something Badulah could answer--he seems to be an expert in stereo installations)?
    Very cool web site. The online brochure is awesome. Technology has come a long way these days. Damn the Cougar looks good!!! See you all in the morning.....
    Great website...
    Great music...
    Great car...
    Makes me want to go out and buy another Cougar.

Now if you guys went ahead and created a TV commercial with this same image and music in mind, trust me people will DANCE there way into the dealership. Man, I can picture the commercial already while I'm typing this message and the music is playing in the background.

YEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! I LOVE THIS CAR......

WOW!!! This music suits the car (HALO_1 dancing and mushing with fiancee to the pulsating, hypnotic music playing from the websit.)

PS What is the name of that TRACK!!!
    Thanks for the info on the sunroof, I'll call the dealer to have this rattle taken car of next time I go in to service the car...
This discussion has been closed.