Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cougar Support Group - Modifications

Comments

• bobschmbobschm Member Posts: 42
    The web site says it has a three year warranty. Besides, when they rust they get louder. Real cool until the neighbors call the police on you.
  • esbrockesbrock Member Posts: 88
    I figure if the factory exhaust doesn't have to be stainless, why replace it with stainless. That is why the warranty is there.
  • daexpertdaexpert Member Posts: 140
    The warranty on the Pacesetter is prorated, at least that's what Pttuning told me. I think most people already know about the difference in quality of the Pacesetter and the Borla, but not everyone is willing to put down the $550 for the Borla even though it's a great product. Personal preferences I believe, who knows? = ) Personally, I like the Borla, but $550 for the dual outlet? A bit too rich for my blood.
    Has anyone on here done a custom exhaust for their kitties? I've read of someone using DynoMax muffles and I don't know what else. He said they sounded pretty nice, but the cost of it all together (including nice tips like the CF Borla offers) probably comes close to that of the dual outlet Borla, what do you guys think?
  • badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    I am very Skeptical about custom exhaust systems. I guess they are ok if you go to a real exhaust pro, but my fear is paying a lot for something that actually cuts down on performance. If they don't get the back presure right, it will hinder performance.

For the cash, the Pacesetter sounds like a good deal. If you have a little more to spend, go with the Borla.
  • bobschmbobschm Member Posts: 42
    For the price of a Borla you could buy three Pacesetters. Of course you have to do the labor of putting them in.

Is the Borla guaranteed forever? No pro-rating? If you plan on keeping your now classic Cougar for a loooooong time, Borla might be a better "investment".
    I have heard that Borla has a million mile warranty, but I don't know if it is pro-rated.
    Yeah, I agree with bobschm in that if you plan to keep the car for a long time then the Borla would definitely be better, because it is a long term investment, and a better product over the long run. But if you are looking for a cheap mod that won't cost you an arm or a leg -- the pacesetter is teh way to go I think. But eventually the Pacesetter would have to be replaced, unless you get rid of the kitty before that.

I saw a Cougar the other day with like 18" rims!!! It looked nice, but I don't know how that guy can make a turn, it looked like a very tight fit.
    I think the largest I would go would be 17" wheels. Anything larger looks to gaudy to me.
  • stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    It might, but then again the larger tires tend to have a larger contact patch on the ground at any given time, so I'd be more worried about overall performance (acceleration, gas mileage, etc.) with all that extra friction. I think that when I get new wheels, they'll be 17" with about the same width, so I don't mess with the dynamics too much.
    Hey esbrock, how's the Pacesetter doing now? It's been two weeks right? Everything running okay? Is there anything you don't like or would like to change? I guess I'm asking for another update, thank you. = )
    Esbrock:
    Did you happen to take any pictures of the Pacesetter installation?
    Esbrock!

(just wanted to keep the ball rolling...)

:^)
    Esbrock, Esbrock he's our man, if he can't do it no one can!
    esbrock! Please and thank you! = )
    Hey, guys. Sorry it has taken so long for me to respond, but work has been crazy lately. Anyway, the Pacesetter is holding up just fine. I don't think I would change anything as of right now. The yellow finish inside the tips are covered with exhaust residue and I don't know if there is anything I can do to clean them. I seem to be driving a lot faster now, that maybe just a mental thing though. I didn't take any pictures of the installation. I'll see if I can borrow a friend's digital camera and get some snapshots to post. All in all, I'm happy with it and now deciding what to do next. Superchip? 17" wheels with new tires? SVT Intake? What to do,What to do!!!!
    Supercharger! And thanks for the post, esbrock.
    If you have the KKM intake and a cat-back exhaust, the chip would really help maximize those mods. I love the chip, but there is a negative, you will need to run 93 octane fuel.
    How about that MAF sensor thing or the underdrive pully or whatever they call it? Would that do increase his kitty's performance?
    I spoke to Warren at KKM about the MAF for the V6 Cat. He doesn't believe it will improve performance at all. If given the choice between the two, I would go with the pulley. This will improve low end performance, but it may effect the alternator. Since I have a HUGE stereo system, I have no plans of messing with the pulleys.
    That makes sense. The underdrive pulleys (or so I've heard) are simply lighter, and smaller around, so the end result tends to be more throttle response off the line, but no real HP gain - maybe a few.

Faster throttle response off the line is something I'm interested in though, so if I find out anything more about the pulleys, of course I'll post it here.
    Esbrock:
    I am thinking about getting the Pacesetter exhaust, but I want to clarify something. Does this system resemble the Borla and have two tips? Or a single tip?
    badulah, I don't have it yet, but the pics I've seen they are all dual tips like the borla, but just one muffler. Ptuning has a brief description of it and it says "dual-tips." By the way, what made you change your mind about getting the Borla and going for the Pacesetter? Just wondering. = )
    The cash flow is kinda low right now, so the pacesetter is in my budget limit.

I spoke to several people who think the Pacesetter will last at least 2 years. For the price it seems like a good value.
    I've looked at this thing twice (not to buy it, just to see what it was), but can't make heads or tails of whether or not it actually filters air. I'd like y'alls o-pinion on this:

www.monsterflow.com

It was mentioned in the Bolt-on Mods topic and I posted my comments there. I don't want to give anyone here who hasn't seen it yet any preconceived notions, so I'll withhold my thoughts until I hear what some of you think.

Thanks everyone!
  • lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    I didn't see any filter there. Maybe it has one but they don't discuss it.
    Or maybe the designers of this thing need a check-up from the neck up.
    If it were on the end of a stick, I would've expected to see it in Braveheart ...
    It would be interesting to see someone get impaled with an intake system. That's not something you get to see everyday.
    I bit the bullet and ordered the Pacesetter exhaust kit. I hope this thing is worth it, if not someone in here is going to pay.

8-)
    Hey badulah, I called NOPI and Ptuning and they told me that they won't get any Pacesetters till July, is that what they told you? Or where did you get yours from? I will be also getting the pacesetter so we'll see how that goes, I think I'm doing it more for looks and the sound, I'm not expecting a whole lot of gain from it.
    what is NOPI's number? I'll call right now.
    Just got off the phone with NOPI. They said they could have the part "drop shipped" to me directly from Pacesetter. I should have it in 7 days, assuming all goes as planned.

At this point I will get the exhaust kit before I get my Cat back from the Ford dealership. I wonder if this thing will fit on the KIA?
    Wow, they told you that? Make sure they are serious badulah, I'm not too big on their customer service! But if it gets there that soon, great! I'm gonna have to call them up too then, I'm gonna join the Pacesetter club too!
    badulah, when you called NOPI, did they tell you it was a "dual-outlet" exhaust? I called them up and the guy was like if the stock exhaust is single then the pacesetter will also be single. So now I'm wondering if I didnt' explain to him right or if he looked up the wrong car. What do you think?
    I called Pacesetter directly and they were very knowledgeable about the system. It is a dual tip system (one tip on each side of the car like the Borla system). It is made of aluminized steel with chrome tips. The system is in a Y configuration. The Cat feeds in to the muffler and then two exhaust pipes feed out of the muffler and lead in to the two chrome tips.
  • coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    Badman --

I understand most of what's on your list (hehe, I've got the cargo net), but what's a 75mm MAF?
    Coolchick:

MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor (a part that measures how much air is being sucked through the throttle body so the computer can level the mix of oxygen and fuel to be burned during compression.) :^)

All:

I'm not going to retype the whole thing, but if you haven't yet, read my Scary Story in the main topic. It's a warning about mods and emissions testing.
    Coolchick:
    MAF:
    What StageLeft said.
    I don't think you will be disappointed. The Pacesetter system is really nice for what you pay for it. I have to agree with daexpert about NOPI's customer service. It took them a week just to process my order. The first time I called them to get a tracking number for my exhaust, they told me that the guy I talked to ran my credit card but "forgot" to process my order. That was a little hard to believe. I finally recieved it though and love they way it makes the car look, sound and perform.
    Esbrock:
    I'm going on vacation next Friday and I was hoping to have the system installed before I go away, but from what you guys are telling me I won't have the system in time. Thats a real bummer.
    Hey Badulah, I don't want to sound like an as*&@% but I called the guys from NOPI yesterday afternoon and I asked them if they had any Pacesetter exhausts available to send me and he said they won't have them for another 2 or 3 weeks. And the guys was a real prick too so he didn't offer much help. But I do hope you get yours in time, I know I wanna get mine soon! = )
    I'm going to call NOPI back at 2pm and make sure they "drop ship" it to me ASAP.

"Drop ship" sounds like they are going to have a DC10 fly over my house and para shoot down the exhaust system to me.

De Plane Boss, De Plane!
  • gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    Where does it say anything about parachutes in the definition of "drop ship"?

Skip G
    Pilot to Bombardier, pilot to Bombardier, we are currently over the target area.

This is the Bombardier, we have acquired the target, open the bombay doors.

Bombay doors are open. Bombs Away!!!

Meanwhile Badulah is in his driveway enjoying the beautiful weather while waxing his Cat. Soon he hears some faint whistling noise, but he can't locate where the sound is coming from. As a few seconds pass the whistling gets louder and louder. Just as it gets almost ear piercing he looks up and lets out a scream which is almost immediately silenced by the falling Pacesetter exhaust system.
    Is it bad for the transmission when you skip gears? For example, say you're on first gear and rev it to 6K and then shift to 3rd gear, or from 3rd to 5th. Is this bad for the car or it really doesn't matter as long as the car isn't working too hard? Thanks
    I just called NOPI and they said the Pacesetter is on backorder with no ETA, so they canceled my order. I will have to reorder it when it becomes available again.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    I just got off the phone with JC Whitney and they said they can have the Pacesetter to me within two weeks. Total cost was $180.35 with Tax and Shipping.

Hopefully this order will actually go through.
    J.C. Whitney didn't get to where they are (respect-wise) in the automotive industry by letting people down. Chances are they actually had one in stock. Nice price too -- not too much more than NOPI.
    With the way my luck is this week, JC Whitney is liable to go out of business one minute before they ship my Pacesetter.
This discussion has been closed.