Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cougar Support Group - General Maintenance

Comments

• badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    I've never tried it, but I have heard rave reviews. On my next trip to Pep Boys I plan to pick some up.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Unfortunately, you can't get Zaino at Pep Boys or any other automotive stores. They have very few distributors. The only real way to order Zaino is mail order. I would recommend it though. Better than any wax I have ever used.....and I have used them all!!!
    Humm... Ok, so where can I order some?
    www.zainobros.com
    Thanks!!
  • dmitcheldmitchel Member Posts: 7
    I have to park a lot in Santa Monica under and evil Eucalyptus Tree - the tree picks up fog laden with pine sap and attracts herds of huge crows - the long skinny leaves seem like an alien life form able to penetrate any small opening and slither in... then three times a year the tree sheds all of its bark and the crows throw a party and pull off huge chunks and have competition on bombing cars below.

I did some research and bought a BUDGE - it is a a really nice cover and when it gets soiled I just hose it off - my car finish is perfect!

I had a different cover for my old car and moisture from fog would collect under it - that has never happened with this cover.

I bought it on-line at carparts.
  • thadjosh76thadjosh76 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 black cougar and already have a paint chip or two from little rocks. Is their a way I could order paint for it and touch it up? What is the best way to go on this? Thank you very much.
  • gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    The dealer should be able to get you a bottle of touch-up paint.

IMHO, there really ain't no way to get it really right without filling, sanding, airbrushing, and buffing.

But, for really small chips, just touch the brush to the chip and build the paint up little by little untill it seems smooth.

Skip G
    Got the cat back from the hospital, right?

Labor day was beautiful, sunny, nice breeze, temps around 80. Good day to wash and wax, right?

Spent 5 hours detailing, vaccuming, washing, waxing, rain-ex, etc.... LOOKING GOOD!!!

Dinner @ 5:00

Rain @ 6:00!!!!!!!!!

Frustration!!!!!!

Skip G.
  • stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    Doh! Isn't that always the way it is? It seems as though every time I wash and wax, the skys open up here.

I thought it must be me, and maybe I should wash during the week, so the weekend will be nice. I can dream, can't I?

Later and Happy Cougaring!
  • drewdrew94drewdrew94 Member Posts: 19
    Hi,

This is my first time posting...
    Anyway, here is the deal...I am thinking about purchasing a one owner 99 V6 Cougar that is totally loaded (ie leather,sunroof,sport appearance package,5spd) except for the ABS, it has 33000 miles and the guy has all main.rec's, he has not had a problem with the stereo/speakers, sounds like the only problems he has had were caused by him (ie getting a twig stuck in the rail of the sunroof and then closing the roof!.
    He has it priced at 12,200 and we have him down to 11,500.
    I am just wondering even though, I know this is a chat that is biased if you guys think this is a fair price...I like the car and I like the fact that he has maintained it well and has had no real problems.
    I have owned alot of cars, two Honda Civic's (one was the '00 SI, the other a 99 Ex), two mustangs (86 and 92 GT's) , two probes (91 and 98), and two acura integra GSR's(99 and '00) and I currently have a 97 mitsu eclipse gst conv (which is the one that has minor problems, window won't roll all the way up,speakers are blown on the left side,etc)...and I have not had any problems with any of them except the mitsu...so japanese is not always good to go!As you can see I like trying alot of different cars and since I have owned Ford products and never had any problems before, I think this might be a good buy.
    I just wanted to know if you guys think this is a fair price on the cougar from what I have told you. As for my driving, I don't drive probably over 60-70 miles a week but I do drive fast ( I live in Atlanta!).
    Sorry this post was so long...and I hope to hear from someone soon!
    Thanks!
    I am from ATL too!!!!!!

As far as getting the '99 Cougar...I wouldn't do it. The '99s tended to have numerous problems: Brakes, rear hatch, rattles and noises, AC issues and several other problems. I would lean towards a brand new Cougar('01 or '02) or at least a '00 model year. Hopefully, the newer models worked out some of the first year bugs.

I have a '99 with 28,000 mile son it and here are the issues I have dealt with: AC(4 times), speaker cutting out, vibrations while driving certain speeds, rear hatch not opening(in shop more than 4 times and is starting to act up again), Cat Converter replaced(rotten egg smell), NUMEROUS RATTLES IN DASH(getting worse) and abnormal tire wear. Needless to say, I am on a first name basis with the service manager at my local dealer.

Good luck!!
    Thanks for the info.

I however cannot afford a new (01,02) Cougar, I had never really looked into the Cougar before this weekend and I noticied that they were priced in the range I needed and I could pick up a relatively new (99) one cheap.
    The problem I am also having is that I have looked at a 2000 but I don't have any sort of down payment and at the price these people are wanting, I cannot even get a loan for the car even if they were willing to lower it 1k!
    The one I am looking at I can get a loan for and since it will not be my only car, I can handle taking it to the shop every once in a while, and while the hatch has a problem working with the remote release, that is really not a concern, you can always use the key...my current car does not even have a remote release...

I am just wondering, since looking at this guys papers on everything he has had done since buying it new...nothing has went wrong with the car other than owner error...so if it is not having problems at this point 33K miles and has not had any, why would it start?

It's cheap and I expect it to not be perfect, I just would rather spend 11.5K on something and have it break then spend 18+K on a new one...so there is some logic, at least if it is not major, I will have the money to fix this one...

I was warned not to buy my mitsu too but so far, so good other than minor problems...
    as for shimmy and shake and rattle noises, try driving a 3 yr old SC2! LOL.

I do appreciate you advice and suggestions...and don't get me wrong I don't have my mind set on this car, it just has everything I am looking for on a car and it is cheap and somewhat dependable transportation.
  • lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    I have a '99 Cougar and it has been the least dependable car I have ever owned. It has failed to start twice (clutch interlock issues) and shreds its tires on a regular basis. Besides that, one never knows which speakers the radio will choose to operate from.

It steers OK and the brakes are good. The engine's characteristics make it impossible to upshift smoothly. It uses more gas than it should (20 MPG average). You can't see out the back, or even to adjacent lanes.

There are probably lots better cars out there for your money.
    OK guys,

This may make alot of you mad cause I have read some stuff on here about hohum toyotas.
    Anyway, I have nixed the cougar idea...I am going to purchase a 95 Toyota Celica GT for 7500 with 73K on it, at least it won't quit running...I know that from experience with toyota's. I had a 92 Paseo that was still running when I traded it in at 150K and my dad had a 86 toyo truck that had well over 200K when my brother wrecked it last year.
    Thanks guys.
    I did not mean to come across as being overly negative......I was just relaying my Cougar experience. I know there are many owners on here that have not had problems with their cars. So, you may be able to get a good Cougar. Good luck with any car you end up getting.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Check out the new Edmunds.com Maintenance Guide! Link is provided in the Additional Resource Box.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • jazzermpjazzermp Member Posts: 6
    Greetings. I'm new to the Cougar list. I'm seriously considering buying a 2002 Sport 5 speed to replace my 94 Probe GT 5 speed, 97K. I love the Probe but it is becoming a financial black hole. Replacing CV units this, the cat.converter is sick, the paint is shot on the hood, exhuast, brakes, etc., - and this is after I have babied the car. Any comments pro/con on this or how the cars compare from former Probe owners would be great. I'm goona do the deed within two weeks to get the 0.0%. THANKS!
  • harbachjharbachj Member Posts: 51
    The two cars in our family are a 94 Probe GT and a 99 Cougar V6, both owned since new, so I guess I'm in a pretty good position to comment. Both cars are similar in size, power, weight, etc. so compare very well. Handling is similar (I think I like the PGT a bit more) and the ride is actually slightly firmer in the Cougar with the sport package (and I thought the PGT had a firm ride!). The Cougar's brake are better, at least with the sport package and ABS. Interior room and comfort is close, with the Cougar actually a bit roomier. Seating position is a bit lower in the PGT so it feels sportier. By the way, I've had mine for almost 3 years now with over 30,000 miles and other then the common initial 1999 model year problems, has been very reliable. For the price, the car is a steal. If you are looking for a current version of the Probe, the Cougar is it.
  • aussyaussy Member Posts: 20
    after owning several cars over the last 15 years(2 fords amoung them).....i traded in my 01 toy corolla for a brand new '02 cat...V6 2.5L, manual loaded except for sunroof.....i take delivery of it on tues(10-23) and am excited as all get out to have her....my question is this: the dealership wants me to buy Guardian warranted automotive protection program. they put a treatment on the fabric, vinyl and paint.has anybody heard of this and is it worth it?? also...any tips for breaking in my new cougar??....i am 32 and this is the first time i have owned a car like this.....all my other cars have been sub-compacts and trucks..thanx for any advice
  • krnchkrnch Member Posts: 127
    Aussy:

When I got my '99 cat, I purchased a care package consisting of scotch guard fabic treatment, rust-proofing and a paint protection product. Were I to do it again, the only product I would consider is the paint protection product. You can buy a spray can of scotch guard that I'm sure will work just as well as the dealer's product; If you live in an area that uses road salt in the winter, I think that having the car oil sprayed is better than the dealer-offered rust proofing product.

That said, the clearcoat/paint on the Cougar is the best I've seen on any car owned by myself or my family. After 3 years of frequent washing and two tough Canadian winters, the paint looks as good as the day it left the dealer. I'm not sure is this is a function of the paint protection package or just that the paint and clear coat is really that good. I'd be interested in hearing the opinion on the paint quality from other members of this group who did not buy any paint protection product.
    Any aftermarket protection plan is only good for one thing. Protecting the dealer's bottom line!

Modern cars are made with pre-dipped/primed rustproof galvanizing. This coating is made even before the metal is formed for the body panels. My last car survived 10 Chicagoland winters (talk about salt) and only had one little blistering spot under the rocker at the rear that could only be seen with the car on a hoist.

My Cougar's paint has held up through 3 of the aforementioned winters without any problems or dulling. Just normal semi-annual wax job (Spring & Fall) along with good washing practice, and it looks good.

For the fabric, I shot it with Scotch Guard, although the fabric itself appears to be a polyolifin type which is very stain and wear resistant. Shampooing the carpet after the winter to get the salt out of the front is also a good idea.

Skip G
  • cnollkampercnollkamper Member Posts: 43
    Yes do get one.
    I have a 3month old 01 Black C2 ATX(I really wanted 5spd but near impossible to find) leather loaded, no traction control. I LOVE IT!!!! i have over 3k now and i have a couple of issues, but none are serious, or are affecting overall reliability or quality. I can say the paint is FABULOUS! I just did a 3 part Meguiars Deep Crystal paint protection system and its amazing how good it looks. i drive this car daily in Los Angeles, and the only daily issue i have is the seat is rather uncomfortable for me, the passenger seat is MUCH better, I almost want to swap them(I have power seat with lumbar). And thats about it, the room up front is really good and storage in the back makes trips to Costco a breeze!
    Good Luck.
  • ksuwildcat001ksuwildcat001 Member Posts: 97
    Have you checked to make sure you don't have the power lumbar set to an uncomfortable amount?
    Yes, unfortunately I must be shaped like an alien, because my last car (2000 Focus ZTS) had manual lumbar and it was terrible also..I really wish Ford would take the good things its other companies have (like Volvos seats, they are amazing) and let them "trickle" down into the rest of their line. Ill suffer, its only uncomfortable after an hour.
    Check to see if the lumbar support is truly gone with the knob adjusted to the minimum position. The seat could be assembled wrong. If it is, it can be fixed.

Skip G.
    Its down all the way, in fact I find the worst part of the seat is the upper portion , it seems too narrow..it actually squeezes my shoulders together..but the mid section of the seats including the side bolsters are fine. (And no I am not a really BIG guy, I am 6ft 1 200Lbs)
    Thanks for the reply though it makes me feel welcome.
    Heres an unrelated question...has anyone ever had tracking issues with their Cougars? What I mean is being on nearly level roads and having to correct the path of the car because IT wants to go to the right or the left(not really bad, but annoying enough to notice)? I have this issue and its going to be addressed at my first service. i have already checked tire inflation to be sure that they are even all around, and that checks out fine...so it must be suspension or steering related.
    I agree about the uper portion of the seat back. It is a little narrow, and does take me a little while to relax into it.

I think that they should have done a little better with the ergonomics when designing the cat. It does seem to have broken in a little over the years though, and I've been ok on long trips (vacations, etc..).

Skip G.
  • ksuwildcat001ksuwildcat001 Member Posts: 97
    I guess it all depends on the person. I'm perfectly fine with the seats in my C2. Very comfy even in the upper portion of the seat back. Love the tight supportive fit the seats have.

David
    i just took delivery of my new kitty....in my last car i had REALLY nice sheepskin covers...i tried putting them on my new car and guess what??...they don't fit.....here's my question..are seat covers available for the cougar???
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    aussy:

Here are a few sheepskin seatcover vendors that I found in the last few pages of the December 2001 Car and Driver magazine. I'm sure that you can find many more using a web search engine such as Google.

www.rmsheepskin.com/mercucou.htm
    www.sheepskinexperts.com/index.cfm
    www.autoanything.com
  • lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    What a coincidence! My last sheep had really nice Naugahyde.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    lmigliore:

What's the matter with you? Don't you know the difference between a Sheep and a Nauga? You've obviously got to get out of the house and visit the zoo more often.
  • reeseflreesefl Member Posts: 1
    Hi there

I am the Happy Owner of a 2000 Loaded Cougar. I bought it after a friend bought his. We both have a leather interior. Both of us have had wear on the drivers seat cover near the side lumbar- The dealer has been great and replaced both our covers twice but I am now starting with FORD trying to find a long term solution. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    I have a 95 Cougar with the 4.6. The service manual says to change the tranny fluid and filter every 30k. I did that at 30k eventhough no problems with it. Now, I have to change the fluid at least every 5k. Sometimes it will start to shudder during the torque converter lock-up as soon as 3k. I consider myself to be fairly picky when doing maintanance and always follow the directions and make sure the tranny is full of fluid. Recently I was told to use Mercon V fluid, which is a synthetic, but my manual does not specify Mercon V. Has anyone else had this problem and can anyone advise me?????
    mullins87
    I'm sorry, but the CSG is geared towards 1999 and newer Cougars. I wish there were something I could do for you, but I have no info on earlier models.
  • dgeminidgemini Member Posts: 161
    I too noticed the wheel shake.

Then I also observed that it only occurred on certain types of payment.

I didn't notice it until I changed my tires (Went to a slightly larger size (225/50/16).

Can't wait to see my wife and drive my cougar! I have about 17 days!
    Wow, had to go back to June to refresh my memory on that post.

Turned out that I had a couple of problems causing the wheel shake.

1. Bad tire rod end. Fixed under waranty.
    2, The dealer thought that I had a bad rotor (warped) and gave me a complete front brake rebuild, pads, rotors and all. Warranty free. Good deal for me, as I get about 3 extra years without having to worry about brake wear, but wasn't really the problem.
    3. Lumpy tire. Found it by putting the car up, and rotating the left front while watching the tire. Could see the out of round condition, so moved it to the rear.

All problems went away, and the steering is as nice as can be.

Skip G.
  • 9Cougar99Cougar9 Member Posts: 12
    Blane:

I thought the same thing; but it happens all day long now (although still now constantly)....after it's warmed up, not wet, etc. I was told the last time I complained that it's a noise that all Cougars have and it's nothing mechanical. OK...if it's not mechanical, what is it? My cat is out of warranty now so I'm sure it will break or get much worse. Ugh!
  • advocatusadvocatus Member Posts: 45
    I just went to Pep-boys... after all the hassle of calling dealers and having them quote me and actually visiting one dealer to talk to them.. I went to pep-boys.. got the whole thing, the CORRECT oil put into it.. damn bastards at Jiffy-lube... $16 dollars. (cheaper then Jiffy-lube's oil change alone)
    Told ya so!!!!

Congrats on a good deal. Better in your pocket than the dealers.

Skip G.
  • nicecatnicecat Member Posts: 2
    Looking for help, please: has anyone seen any posts related to a loud hum when the car is started? I have an idea it is related to the power steering; it disappears when given gas & sometimes when shifted into neutral until the wheel is turned (fluid levels are fine). I found 2 other mentions elsewhere on the web, both w/out response. Of course, it's out of warranty which is why I'm trying to get a heads-up on it, thanks in advance...

For the record: have vibration issues as well & backing up grinding noise, the former being the most annoying. Misery loves company.
  • fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    nice Cat, its Called Moosing:
    I can't remember what causes it, but.
    If you can't find info on it here check
    newcougar.org
    fastcougar.com
    contour.org
    and do a search on the forums there.
  • nicecatnicecat Member Posts: 2
    Fredly, can't thank you enough -- had spent a lot of time searching the 'net, but was of little help not knowing that this particular problem had it's own nickname -- went on the NECO boards & yeah, the problem isn't unique at all. Much appreciated, had even given up hope getting an answer here, after checking the forum for two weeks about two or three times a day and zero activity. I guess everyones been out happily driving their non-"moosing" cougars. Cheers.
  • jflyerjflyer Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had a problem with a loss of power in a 4cyl 2000 Cougar while accelerating while turning a corner or around an on ramp? The dealer seems to favor changing the fuel filter at 26000 miles.
    ok...guys..here it is...my first cougar repair....i have an '02 XR cougar 6500 miles....the problem: something tweaked with the back windshield wiper.......it was raining lat elast night as i went to get into my beloved cougar for my commute home....i pushed the button to turn on the rear wiper.....hmm....nothing....tried again....still nothing...got out to find that the wiper was wedge upder the rear air wing.......i dislodged it and triend the wiper again.......same situation....so...here i go..off for my first warranty repair......anybody else had this problem??
    thanx
  • fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    I've moose'd once before. never again, strangely enough it was when I was in Atlanta, some say it has something to do with Cold, but it was hot.
  • mylemon1mylemon1 Member Posts: 1
    I need some serious help...I believe I purchased a lemon but am not sure how to go about proving my theory.

I purchased a 1999 Mercury Cougar last October and since the purchase the problems have been a broken gas needle, the automatic window arm which controls the window broke, finally the engine lite is on and has been for approx. 4 months. At first the engine light would go off and on then finally it came on and stayed on the car is now smoking, we took the car to Auto Zone for a free diagnostic which indicated it was the catalitic converter.

Now you may be saying why dont you just take it to the dealer for service, we purchased the car used from a dealer and did not buy the extended warranty so now we are basically "screwed"!

Now to make matter worse I have read some of the other messages and I too thought the car needed an alignment because when you drive 65-70 the steering wheel shakes so that is another problem added to our already long list.

FYI...I joined CARFAX put in the VIN and came back with nothing out of the ordinary.

Please let me know if you can help me...
  • stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    mylemon1: Unfortunatly, because it's a 1999 the lemon law won't help. It has to be in the first 18 months of purchase and below a certain mileage (I can't remember what that is right now). However, the things you're describing may be related to several Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) issued by Mercury in regards to those occurrances. I even believe it was found that the rotors were warped with one memeber and found out that's the reason for the shimmy at higher speeds. I know dealerships are not much help, if any help at all, but most TSBs are taken care of for free by them, but not by your local service station. Check out www.nhtsa.gov for any recalls/TSBs that you may get taken care of.

Good luck!
    My main shimmy problem was due to a tire going out of round (belt de-laminating. But, I did get a complete brake replacement and tie rod end out of it before they figured out the real source.

As for the cat converter, I believe that the emission controls ar waranteed for a much longer time than the rest of the car.

Skip G.