Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cougar Support Group - General Maintenance

Comments

• blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    aussy:

Here are a few sheepskin seatcover vendors that I found in the last few pages of the December 2001 Car and Driver magazine. I'm sure that you can find many more using a web search engine such as Google.

www.rmsheepskin.com/mercucou.htm
    www.sheepskinexperts.com/index.cfm
    www.autoanything.com
  • What a coincidence! My last sheep had really nice Naugahyde.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    lmigliore:

What's the matter with you? Don't you know the difference between a Sheep and a Nauga? You've obviously got to get out of the house and visit the zoo more often.
  • Hi there

I am the Happy Owner of a 2000 Loaded Cougar. I bought it after a friend bought his. We both have a leather interior. Both of us have had wear on the drivers seat cover near the side lumbar- The dealer has been great and replaced both our covers twice but I am now starting with FORD trying to find a long term solution. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks
  • I have a 95 Cougar with the 4.6. The service manual says to change the tranny fluid and filter every 30k. I did that at 30k eventhough no problems with it. Now, I have to change the fluid at least every 5k. Sometimes it will start to shudder during the torque converter lock-up as soon as 3k. I consider myself to be fairly picky when doing maintanance and always follow the directions and make sure the tranny is full of fluid. Recently I was told to use Mercon V fluid, which is a synthetic, but my manual does not specify Mercon V. Has anyone else had this problem and can anyone advise me?????
  • badulahbadulah Posts: 961
    mullins87
    I'm sorry, but the CSG is geared towards 1999 and newer Cougars. I wish there were something I could do for you, but I have no info on earlier models.
  • dgeminidgemini Posts: 161
    I too noticed the wheel shake.

Then I also observed that it only occurred on certain types of payment.

I didn't notice it until I changed my tires (Went to a slightly larger size (225/50/16).

Can't wait to see my wife and drive my cougar! I have about 17 days!
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    Wow, had to go back to June to refresh my memory on that post.

Turned out that I had a couple of problems causing the wheel shake.

1. Bad tire rod end. Fixed under waranty.
    2, The dealer thought that I had a bad rotor (warped) and gave me a complete front brake rebuild, pads, rotors and all. Warranty free. Good deal for me, as I get about 3 extra years without having to worry about brake wear, but wasn't really the problem.
    3. Lumpy tire. Found it by putting the car up, and rotating the left front while watching the tire. Could see the out of round condition, so moved it to the rear.

All problems went away, and the steering is as nice as can be.

Skip G.
  • Blane:

I thought the same thing; but it happens all day long now (although still now constantly)....after it's warmed up, not wet, etc. I was told the last time I complained that it's a noise that all Cougars have and it's nothing mechanical. OK...if it's not mechanical, what is it? My cat is out of warranty now so I'm sure it will break or get much worse. Ugh!
  • I just went to Pep-boys... after all the hassle of calling dealers and having them quote me and actually visiting one dealer to talk to them.. I went to pep-boys.. got the whole thing, the CORRECT oil put into it.. damn bastards at Jiffy-lube... $16 dollars. (cheaper then Jiffy-lube's oil change alone)
    Told ya so!!!!

Congrats on a good deal. Better in your pocket than the dealers.

Skip G.
  • Looking for help, please: has anyone seen any posts related to a loud hum when the car is started? I have an idea it is related to the power steering; it disappears when given gas & sometimes when shifted into neutral until the wheel is turned (fluid levels are fine). I found 2 other mentions elsewhere on the web, both w/out response. Of course, it's out of warranty which is why I'm trying to get a heads-up on it, thanks in advance...

For the record: have vibration issues as well & backing up grinding noise, the former being the most annoying. Misery loves company.
  • fredlyfredly Posts: 201
    nice Cat, its Called Moosing:
    I can't remember what causes it, but.
    If you can't find info on it here check
    newcougar.org
    fastcougar.com
    contour.org
    and do a search on the forums there.
  • nicecatnicecat Posts: 2
    Fredly, can't thank you enough -- had spent a lot of time searching the 'net, but was of little help not knowing that this particular problem had it's own nickname -- went on the NECO boards & yeah, the problem isn't unique at all. Much appreciated, had even given up hope getting an answer here, after checking the forum for two weeks about two or three times a day and zero activity. I guess everyones been out happily driving their non-"moosing" cougars. Cheers.
  • jflyerjflyer Posts: 3
    Has anyone had a problem with a loss of power in a 4cyl 2000 Cougar while accelerating while turning a corner or around an on ramp? The dealer seems to favor changing the fuel filter at 26000 miles.
  • aussyaussy Posts: 20
    ok...guys..here it is...my first cougar repair....i have an '02 XR cougar 6500 miles....the problem: something tweaked with the back windshield wiper.......it was raining lat elast night as i went to get into my beloved cougar for my commute home....i pushed the button to turn on the rear wiper.....hmm....nothing....tried again....still nothing...got out to find that the wiper was wedge upder the rear air wing.......i dislodged it and triend the wiper again.......same situation....so...here i go..off for my first warranty repair......anybody else had this problem??
    thanx
  • fredlyfredly Posts: 201
    I've moose'd once before. never again, strangely enough it was when I was in Atlanta, some say it has something to do with Cold, but it was hot.
  • mylemon1mylemon1 Posts: 1
    I need some serious help...I believe I purchased a lemon but am not sure how to go about proving my theory.

I purchased a 1999 Mercury Cougar last October and since the purchase the problems have been a broken gas needle, the automatic window arm which controls the window broke, finally the engine lite is on and has been for approx. 4 months. At first the engine light would go off and on then finally it came on and stayed on the car is now smoking, we took the car to Auto Zone for a free diagnostic which indicated it was the catalitic converter.

Now you may be saying why dont you just take it to the dealer for service, we purchased the car used from a dealer and did not buy the extended warranty so now we are basically "screwed"!

Now to make matter worse I have read some of the other messages and I too thought the car needed an alignment because when you drive 65-70 the steering wheel shakes so that is another problem added to our already long list.

FYI...I joined CARFAX put in the VIN and came back with nothing out of the ordinary.

Please let me know if you can help me...
  • stageleftstageleft Posts: 391
    mylemon1: Unfortunatly, because it's a 1999 the lemon law won't help. It has to be in the first 18 months of purchase and below a certain mileage (I can't remember what that is right now). However, the things you're describing may be related to several Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) issued by Mercury in regards to those occurrances. I even believe it was found that the rotors were warped with one memeber and found out that's the reason for the shimmy at higher speeds. I know dealerships are not much help, if any help at all, but most TSBs are taken care of for free by them, but not by your local service station. Check out www.nhtsa.gov for any recalls/TSBs that you may get taken care of.

Good luck!
    My main shimmy problem was due to a tire going out of round (belt de-laminating. But, I did get a complete brake replacement and tie rod end out of it before they figured out the real source.

As for the cat converter, I believe that the emission controls ar waranteed for a much longer time than the rest of the car.

Skip G.
  • This question pertains to my 1989 Merc Cougar that I bought new. Has anyone had to remove the radio or climate controls to replace the illuminators? The manual says I need a Ford removal tool, part number T87P-19061-A. Or I could use a coat hangar shaped into a " U ". This method did not work too well. Has anyone else had this problem? I need lights in the radio for the clock and stations. There are some kind of spring clips inside small holes in the faceplates.I have already had the bevel removed to replace some switches, but I could not figure how to get at the bulbs I must have to light up the heater and A/c controls.
    Thanks
  • Paladin7:

I purchased a Ford radio removal tool at JK auto parts in VA. If they're around, you may be able to find them again. Otherwise, their not too expensive, and you may be able to find them through Crutchfield (www.crutchfield.com).

Good Luck.
  • Thanks Stageleft,
    I found the removal tool from a snap-on salesman. I was able to fix the radio and the other bulbs in the a/c and heating contols.

Thanks for the note.
  • We bought our daughter a 99 4 cylinder Cougar after we leased it for 2 years. She moved from Michigan to Colorado, elevation 7500 ft. The car struggles out there! We just visited and drove it for 2 weeks - with the overdrive OFF. Going up passes, if the rpms go over 3000, the transmission tries to shift and it feels like you've been kicked in the rear - almost shoved forward. We have extended warranty, the dealer cannot replicate the problem. What to do? Any ideas?
  • You have a rare beast. Mercury decided at the beginning of the 99 year to not offer an auto with the 4 cylinder because of its poor performance. I believe the only ones made were sold to Ford employees. Having driven in the Colorado mountains, I can imagine what you describe. I suspect there's nothing wrong - just the transmision trying to overcome the lack of power and torque from the too small engine for the car.

Jim H.
  • aatraveler --

Your daughter's issue is more likely related to the calibration. The vehicle was purchased in MI (low elevation) but is now being driven in CO (high elevation). The air is much thinner at higher altitudes.

The 4 cylinder/ATX combo doesn't help, either.
    My Cougar's clutch is slipping, and my remote control no longer works. My car has almost 70,000 miles by the way.

I changed the batteries in the remote...didn't change a thing.

Anyone else have these problems...
  • coolchickcoolchick Posts: 174
    dgemini - did you clean the contacts for the battery in the remote? That may help.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    My friend has a 1994 Cougar XR7 V6 with about 61.5K miles on it, that he bought new. He had some bad tranny problems with it in the first 2 years, but that's all fixed now (hopefully).

Anyway, he had new rotors put on it about a month ago. About a week after the rear rotors were put on, this loud CLUNK comes from the right rear suspension. We took it to Miekene and had it checked. The guy said the struts were fine, the brakes were fine, the exhaust pipe isn't loose.

This is driving both of us NUTS! :) So anyone have this problem thus far? I think the strut is bad, but the mechanic said they "balanced" the struts and with no problems. My friend doesn't drive that far, and doesn't really wanna take the car to the stealership for this problem.

Any advice? Thanks a bunch! :)
    I went to a Ford Dealer, he told me the remote was working, that it was something one the vehicle keeping the remote from working. Said he would have to hook it up to a machine and it would cost 45.00 just to hook it up.