Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cougar Support Group - Bigger & Better

Comments

• Options
    camelardcamelard Member Posts: 171
    I was going to throw in a boast of our Great Canadian Comedians but you got em all beat hands down.
  • Options
    daexpertdaexpert Member Posts: 140
    Well, whatever your preferred take-off technique is -- the V6 Cougar can beat the V6 Honda Accord. Yeah, Cougar - 1, Accords - 0!!! But for an ATX, the Accords do have a lot of pep to them, but since I got a faster start off the line, he was not able to make up the difference and they kitty just kept pulling away, not by a huge margine, but a pretty nice gap that let me win decisevely. Just thought I'd let you guys know that I scored a victory for the kitty, they're not as slow as people think!!! = )
  • Options
    spartan93spartan93 Member Posts: 16
    I have had my Cougar two weeks as of last night. It has been fighting with me to stay below 5.5k rpm before upshifting during what is now still less than 600 miles. I have been winning. Until this evening, that is.

On my way to a friend's house for a party, I am stopped at a light in the left lane next to a '97-ish Grand Prix GT. Just beyond the light is a sweeping right hander. The light turns green so I start to accelerate per usual. I see that the Prix has jumped on it as I'm shifting into second at 5k. Well, once I hit second, the Cat just starts to run on me! We pick up the lost ground and I force it to change to 3rd around 6k. We stay even through 3rd, even though we are on the outside of the curve. I let the kitty get back up around 6k before getting out of the accelerator due to upcoming traffic at the next light. If I recall correctly, the Prix GT has GM's 3800. I could tell by the steady acceleration of the Prix that it had an ATX. It may have been a draw, but they caught us off guard at the start AND we were on the outside of the curve. Not too impressed by the 'iac (pronounced "yak").

Bad owner part (other than letting the kitty run before reaching 1k miles)...I left the roof partially opened while at the party. An unexpected rain shower came through. The kitty has been Christened. It had to happen eventually, I guess.

Bad Kitty, Part II...Heading home from the party, we find ourselves in the right lane at the light on the other side of the curve discussed above next to a '94-ish Talon Turbo. Similar story as with the Prix, except this one has an MTX. We are AGAIN caught on the outside of the curve. The Talon was able to pull away, but somewhat gradually.

I couldn't bring myself to punish the Kitty when it did so well (and it was so much fun). I'm sure we'll be back on good terms after we've had a night to sleep on it.

Happy (belated) birthday to Stageleft!

Hope those of you that were able to go to LP had (by the time they read this) a good time. Look forward to reading the stories next week.
  • Options
    jayhawk5jayhawk5 Member Posts: 70
    The GT has a 200 hp engine, but the car is a lot heavier than the cat. I think the 0-60 time is around that of the Cougar, 7.5 if my memory serves me. It is automatic transmission, too. They don't come it manual. My friend has a '97 Grand Prix GTP, which is the supercharged version of the GT engine. It has 240 hp, so don't ever try to race one! It does 0-60 in 6.7 or 6.8 seconds even though it's heavy and an automatic. My friend's car looks like a bad 80's video game inside. It's got some muscle, but it looks like they haven't redesigned the inside since 1983!
  • Options
    scratch3scratch3 Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone else encountered an annoying rattle (buzzing sound) from behind the dash somewhere that occurs when the car is idling or between gear changes. I am going to take it in to the dealer soon but would to hear of possible sources first.

Also any recent news on the Cougar S. Last I heard was a delay until September. Is production still planned.
  • Options
    Scratch3, I think that's the rattle I detected and mentioned a few posts ago. I can hear it mainly when the car is idle, but if push in the clutch then the rattle will stop. Have not taken it to the dealer yet, but I will later on. Let me know what they tell you.
  • Options
    Way to go!
  • Options
    mouse409mouse409 Member Posts: 34
    Hope you had a safe trip home, sorry we missed your birthday. Have a happy. The kitty got 33.5 MPG on the Placid trip, including all the picture shoots.
    =^..^=
  • Options
    krnchkrnch Member Posts: 127
    After stating that I have never gotten over 30 MPG, I got 32 MPG on the way back from LP after filling up and, as mouse409 may be able to attest, I probably could have driven more conservatively. I can't imagine there's any measureable difference in fuel; I must have just not noticed before.

I hope everyone that was at LP had a safe trip back. It was beautiful and sunny all the way home. Happy belated birthday Stglft.

Andy.
  • Options
    benisembenisem Member Posts: 30
    Happy Birthday Stageleft. I am sorry that this is late! Please forgive me! Hope everyone had a great time in LP.
  • Options
    badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    The Lake Placid trip was a blast!! It was great to meet everyone in person and talk about everything from Cougars to last weeks episode of Survivor (Lefty's wife is an expert on the show, even though she has only seen 10 minutes of it...LOL!).

StageLeft and my self met up with Fastback2 on Friday around 5. Mouse409, Dasaint, and Krnch showed up around 3 on Saturday.

Although the weather up in the mountains was sometimes annoying, we still had a good time.

All of you who did not attend were missed!
  • Options
    stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    Thanks everybody for the wonderful birthday wishes. It was actually the 23rd, so most of the posts were right on time. For those who admitted to posting late, all is forgiven ;^)

The LP trip was really nice. I think the Adirondacks have interesting weather. It seemed that we had to pick things up from outside way too often, only to take them back out as soon as we brought the last item in. Oh well, we did get some pretty cool "wet-shots" of the Cats ...

I averaged 30mpg's on the way back, and got darn close to 350 miles out of one tank. I do have to say that Sunoco (sp?) gas runs differently in the Cougar than Mobil. I considered each toll booth we went through to be a mini-race between everyone at the gate, and even though it was the 89 octane (I use Mobil's 89 all the time) I believe there was some other difference between the two brands of gas that caused a pretty wicked valve chatter over 5500rpm's.

I'm planning on burning this tank down to around 15 miles to go, then get a hefty tank of Mobil's 93 and some fuel injector cleaner. Now I have a question on that: What's the typical span of time you should use fuel injector cleaner, or should I use it at all?

Thanks again everyone, Of course the birthday went well, I spent it driving the Cat!

Take care all!
  • Options
    Sunoco gas has always caused all of my cars to run like crap. Even their 94 octane runs poorly.

Go figure
  • Options
    eq4ebayeq4ebay Member Posts: 1
    Any thoughts on this race? I'm not in any
    hurry to trade in my SVT for a cougar yet...
    I've yet to be beat by a Cougar V6 .. but no
    S's yet. What's the price of a S going to run?

Thanks in advance. E
  • Options
    The "S" will come loaded (minus the ATX of course) for around $23,000. No one knows the 0-60mph times because it has not been released yet.

Going on common sense, the V6 Cat is faster than the Contour Sport, the "S" should be faster than the SVT. But we won't know for sure until it is released.
  • Options
    I hope the Cougar S will be at least in the high 6's for 0-60 time, that way it can compete with the Prelude, Celica, and Eclipse. Mid 6's would be great, but who knows, we'll see. =)
  • Options
    shengzshengz Member Posts: 4
    I'm planing to order a 2001 cougar. But even the dealer hasn't gotten the new brochure. So I can't decide which color I'll go with. Could you anyone tell where I can find the color sample for 2001 cougar? I'm quite interested in the french blue.
    Thanks
  • Options
    bgabel1260bgabel1260 Member Posts: 135
    Does this package indeed have the Contour SVT 4-wheel ABS disc brakes? And can anyone verify if the $2000 rebate AND 0.9% financing on this package is for real??? Wow. I have a 98 Contour and I have a secret lust for the Cat. I love my V6 MTX drivetrain and I wouldn't have to give it up!
  • Options
    Shengz:

Unfortunately we can only guess what the new for 01 colors will look like because they have not been released yet. I'd start looking for them in a month or so, or at least I'd figure the dealers would have some swatches to order by. For reference, the new color's names are: Dark Shadow Gray; Tropic Green; French Blue (like you mentioned); and Sunburst Gold.

Good luck, and if you do find the color swatches, let us know.

Bgabel:

Yes, the V6 with the sport & convenience packages has the four-wheel ABS from the Contour SVT. In almost every test I've read or seen on TV, they are effective for stopping the Cougar in a scant 125 feet.

Cougar S:

I would hope that it's at least as fast as the Contour SVT, but since the posted variance between the engines is about 5hp (200 for the Cougar S, and 205 for the SVT), I think we might have a race on our hands. Although, the SVT might be heavier because of it's sedan qualities, so the Power to Weight ratio might be around the same.
  • Options
    rob_1732rob_1732 Member Posts: 1
    In the September issue of "Car & Driver" on page 28, there's a paragraph about how much longer the Cougar will be around. In case you don't have the magazine it states, "And even the Cougar may be in trouble." then it goes on to say "Asked if the Cougar would continue to exist, a Mercury spokesman would say only, Probably."

I thought the Cougar wasn't going to be around anymore after 2003. Perhaps they changed their minds??

-Rob
  • Options
    scratch3scratch3 Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone else encountered an annoying rattle
    (buzzing sound) from behind the dash somewhere that
    occurs when the car is idling or between gear
    changes. I am going to take it in to the dealer
    soon but would to hear of possible sources first.

Also any recent news on the Cougar S. Last I heard
    was a delay until September. Is production still
    planned.
  • Options
    whoagrlwhoagrl Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered my 2001 Cougar in French Blue (just guessing what it will look like) and found out there is a manufacturer hold on the color. The dealer doesn't know how long it will be on hold. This will be my second Cougar as my 1999 Laser Red one will be going to college with my son in the fall.
  • Options
    shengzshengz Member Posts: 4
    The dealer knows nothing about the new colors except the names. He said usually we buyers know more than he does. :-).
  • Options
    fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    whoagrl,
    It may be because they won't be producing the 2001 till after job1 (sept sometime)
  • Options
    microkittymicrokitty Member Posts: 8
    Is it normal to have an excessive brake dust problem on a new kitty? At the rate I'm going I think I'm going to washing it/her/him (yet to be named) every other day.

Speaking of which - I'm looking for some suggestions on what to name it/her/him. Ideas?
  • Options
    gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    Brake dust is normal (regrettably) due to the type of pads used. We can't use asbestos anymore so the new formulations just turn into black dust and get all over the wheels. We're not the only ones with this problem. Most other cars are in the same boat.

Skip G.
  • Options
    dasaint1dasaint1 Member Posts: 230
    whoagrl:
    Glad to hear you kept the other Cougar in the family. Hope your son takes good care of the Cat.

microkitty:
    Try naming the Cat after your favorite cartoon character.

To all:
    Brake dust--who needs it. I guess there's money to be made on whoever invents brake dust repellent.
  • Options
    dasaint: I don't have a favorite cartoon character, I'm not a big TV watcher in the first place so....

Will brake dust damage my paint job?
  • Options
    After your favorite song maybe?
  • Options
    Make sure you wax your Kitty (once a month preferably). It'll protect her from brake dust and more.
  • Options
    Just took the kitty and washed her on my lunch break. I think "it" is a "she" and "she" will be Magdelanena...
  • Options
    Don't forget!! Even though you've washed her, you still gotta wax Magdalena.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I have noticed the Cat collects more brake dust than other cars I have owned. My wife's Accord doesn't produce much dust at all. I think our cars European heritage has something to do with the excess brake dust. My mom's Mercedes produces the same if not more dust than our Cats. I look at it as another reason to have to wash her ;-)

Current miles - 13,600
  • Options
    chezterrchezterr Member Posts: 1
    I plan on buying some of Meguiars wheel cleaner...that stuff helps alot, so i hear, when it comes to dealing with brake dust. I just got my 18" White Axis touring cups, and if you guys think it is bad with the stock rims, think how bad it is on WHITE rims!!!!! I will let all of you know how well the stuff works...but they say you just spray it on and wash it off...and by using the stuff, it gets easier and easier to clean the dust off, and harder and harder for the dust to stick....

Nikolas
  • Options
    But does it eat through the clear coat? A lot of those kind of cleaners have acid in them which can damage the wheel over time.
  • Options
    Don't know if I did this right but I hope the link works. http://pub6.ezboard.com/fneconewedgecougarownersneco.showMessage?topicID=2234.topic
  • Options
    krnchkrnch Member Posts: 127
    If there's any truth to the Autoweek article, it's encouraging to note that the lifespan of the Cougar may have been extended to at least 2004. If FMC is considering the 3.0L, I wonder if they will consider using the 3.0L block with the 2.5L head, like the Cougar Eliminator featured in SCC. Perhaps then they could fit it in without the bulge hood. Personally I like the hood the way it is.
  • Options
    Sales drop for the 2nd year?

They ought to take a look around DesPlaines, Il. I swear that Cougars are coming out of the woodwork. I see at least three/day on my short trip to & from work, and new ones all the time on the weekend.

If sales have droped, then the ones being sold must all be around here.

Skip G.
  • Options
    Question (there may not be an answer yet):

Right now the I4 Cougar has almost equal weight distribution at 49% rear, 51% front, and part of the complaint from small-car owners is that the I4 doesn't produce enough power, but the V6 is too heavy in front (resulting in 37%/63%, I think), so what is the 3.0L going to add to the weight of the front end that is going to disrupt the almost perfect handling of the current Cat?

Just an opinion question ...
  • Options
    fastback2fastback2 Member Posts: 55
    Good point. Too much weight in the front can cause real driveability problems such as the tendency to do a quick 180° under slippery road conditions(I can personally attest to this) when braking. About the only way to compensate for this is to move some of the weight to the back(like the battery), lighten up the engine block via some intensive re-engineering and material selection(could be expensive), or adding weight to the back of the car(not a real option). A supercharger may make more sense as FMC has plenty of experience with superchargers(the late 80s cougar XR7s had a supercharger as an option).
  • Options
    That's what I figure too. It's either add a supercharger, blow the weight distribution, or convert the Cougar to rear wheel drive and put the transaxle in back, like the 'Vette. I kinda like the third option, but I really enjoy front-drivers, too. (Which of course is why I'm completely satisfied with my Cat) :^)
  • Options
    mws0520mws0520 Member Posts: 45
    Dealers should have 2001 Color chips. They were sent last month. They are probably in someone's office. The French Blue is very cool if I do say so myself. We will release very soon as part of a special edition.

Did any one take pictures at the LP event? I would like to see them.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Keep Cougaring.
  • Options
    MWS:

Yes, we took a whole lot of pictures, and got some good video footage too. We're working on getting that CSG Gathering stuff together for the web site, and we'll post here when it is ready for viewing. (we got some special pics for you, big guy!)

Also, do you know when they're going to update Mercury's web site with the 2001 changes, or are you guys waiting for the official roll-out?

Thanks again, for anything you wish to share ...

All:

Have a great weekend, and drive safely! I'm going to get the chance to wash the Cat in the rain it looks like in the DC area, but I've been waiting an entire week to get the LP trip's roadgrime off! (That's right Dasaint: I still haven't gotten a chance to clean it yet, but I'm not adverse to washing it in the rain - as long as it's on pavement.) :^)

Later all, Happy Cougaring!
  • Options
    mws0520mws0520 Member Posts: 45
    Stageleft - our website, mercuryvehicles.com will be updated around October 1 which is traditionally our new model year launch.

Where is everyone today??? It's a ghosttown in here.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    HHHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

ANYONE IN HERE??????
  • Options
    mouse409mouse409 Member Posts: 34
    I'm here, I think everbody went on vacation!
  • Options
    Thanks MWS. I'll start looking for the new, new Cougar changes then. I appreciate the info!

Sorry it's been deadsville here today, there was some activity in the other CSG topics ...
  • Options
    jayhawk5jayhawk5 Member Posts: 70
    Maybe it's my imagination, but it always seems like I have more juice in my engine with the windows down and the sunroof at least partially open. It's not just because I'm hearing more noise either. It really feels like my car has a little more oomph to it. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I going totally crazy? Also, I noticed they discontinued Spruce Green and my Sapphire Blue color for 2001. I guess we have a collector's color coolchick- only made for 1 model year.
  • Options
    1. We're still here, just getting our breath for the Cougarfest.

2. Jayhawk: It's the sporty feel of the wind in your hair. Just like doing 40 in a go-kart. With your butt only 4" off the ground, it feels really fast.

3. Lefty, Badulah: How about asking bonnie rick about getting a picture section like the Dakota Club has. I think that we'd have a little better luck posting jpeg images than they do. (Untill they get the hang of this high-tech stuff) ;~)

Skip G.
  • Options
    frizzb3frizzb3 Member Posts: 3
    I stumbled onto this message board researching the 2000 Cougar, and I'm so glad I did. It's great to hear opinions from real owners. I'm picking up my new blue cougar after my hair appt. today, and I'm ecstatic. I've never owned a new car, but I knew I had to have it after the test drive. Thanks for all the great information!
This discussion has been closed.