Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cougar Support Group - Bigger & Better

Comments

• jimcal1jimcal1 Member Posts: 11
    Stageleft:

The tires are almost new (5K+ miles; I don't drive all that much), but they are Firestone and I want to plan ahead just in case.

Badulah:

Thanks. I knew I could count on you.
  • fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    Tire comments, I have the BFG KDW's absolutely love em
    compared to my stock BFG VR4s

Overall normal driving, the ride is about the same,
    But take a corner, and you'll forget what driving on the stock tires was like.
    Take a corner harder, and you'll... well you just might... I dunno, but you'll like it.
    ....oh and they are on sale at tirerack too.. 93 a peice I think.

225s will fit BTW

Now I need to find me some AutoCrossing tires, i'm looking at 225s, just can't find a
    price I want to bite at yet.
  • spartan93spartan93 Member Posts: 16
    While the fairly minor change in tire height from 215 to 225 should fit, there are some issues raised which bear consideration. Your speedometer will require recalibration if you need/desire accuracy. Not sure, but your odometer probably will probably fall into place. The straight line ride will be softer, but you will lose some cornering ability.

Though I mostly saw Firestones while looking at Cougars, mine (luckily?) came with BFGoodriches.

You are correct, badulah, BFGoodrich is a separate company from the merger of Bridgestone and Firestone.
  • harbachjharbachj Member Posts: 51
    Just to correct things, BF Goodrich sold its tire division to Michelin a few years ago. So BF Goodrich tires are made by Michelin and have NOTHING to do with Bridgestone or Firestone.

Jim H.
  • badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    and thank God for that!
  • ptailorptailor Member Posts: 42
    Check out the 2001 Cougar S!
    http://pages.about.com/sprucecoug/CougarS.html

Exterior sucks. The new headlights make the cougar look less agressive.
    The interior looks very nice. It's got chrome accents all over the place.

All in all.. I'm glad that I got my 99 cougar. I would have gotten something else if I was shopping for a car now.

This was posted on the NECO website.
  • gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    WHAT???

No boobie lights?? A major styling feature, gone :(

The spoiler still looks like a tack-on, but the curve at least matches the body contour.

Nice wheels, though : )

Skip G.
    The boobie lights are the best!! hehe... All my friends love that part of the car the most... wonder why..... 8-)

But seriously, the bulges in the lights give the car a lot of character. Not to mention, distintiveness. Too bad they had to get rid of it.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Thats what the difference is. No boobie lights!!!!!! I looked at the pictures and thought"theres something about those light that I don't care for.....AH HA the boobies!!!!" The car as a whole is fine. As an S model, I would of thought the styling would be more distinct, like other S photos. I like my '99!!! The spoiler has to go or be deleted!!! I wish the interior shots were better. I look forward to reading about the Cougar S in the car magazines.
  • barhenderbarhender Member Posts: 12
    if these new lights don't give the same "whiskers" light dispersal effect on high beam that my 99 Cat has...it would be a real shame. boobie lights are just another of the Cat's unique and most kewl features.
  • dasaint1dasaint1 Member Posts: 230
    There wasn't much of a styling change, although the photographs were somewhat blurry at best. I couldn't tell if the tail lights were missing the "boobies" as well.

Well, at least Merc. was smart enough not to change drastically the design of the Cat. Now if only they would put the 4.6L V8 on the S. Wouldn't that be something!!
    I agree totally about the "whisker" comment. Thats what gives our cars character.

Dasaint: If you look at the picture of the front headlights only you can see that there are no "boobies".

BRING BACK THE BOOBIES!!!!!
    BRING BACK THE BOOBIES!!!!!
  • coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    Thanks for posting the link to the picture. Makes me even happier I got the 2000 Cougar. I like the boobie lights too! And I prefer the spoiler I've got to the one shown there; it seems more integrated with the body of the car as opposed to something that landed on it.
    If you want to see the spec changes for the 2001 cougar, goto http://newcougar.org and click on the 2001 Cougar specs link in the middle of the page. Links to the pictures are also there.
  • lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    The Cougar I wish they would make would look exactly the same as the current model only 500 lbs less and rear wheel drive. Then no one would complain about 170 hp being enough. Of course, there's no chance that Ford could sell it for $18000. Apparently, they don't make any money on the current model so a brand-new chassis is out of the question.
  • camelardcamelard Member Posts: 171
    And of course with rear wheel drive a V8 would be no problem.
  • lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    Well, a V8 would be a problem because then the car could get nose heavy. They already make a Mustang.

I was just imagining a quick, light coupe that a V6 could propel to substantial speeds. The Cougar has the right shape and the right handling; it would probably be even better if the car was balanced front-to-rear.
    You guys should give an I4 Cougar a drive. Just to see how it handles. (of course, the V6 will have the better pick up, but putting that aside...)

If i'm correct, the I4 and 51% front 49% back balance. (This is what i've been told, but probably true since the I4 is lighter than the V6) It handles VERY different from a V6 Cougar. Almost as if you are driving a completely different car. If they could do the same to the V6, it would be awesome.
  • stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    I agree with everything so far about what others have said about this venerable "S" model spyshot. I'm dissappointed that FMC would strip the character out of the headlights, although the Euro-style reflector/HID bulbs probably do a better job of lighting up those backroads without street lights. Also, I'm thinking it looks exactly like a Camry Solara from the bumper down in the front. Those driving lights are not what I pictured the redesign to be. If I wanted a Toyota, I'd have bought one already.

I sure do love my 1999!

Take care everyone!
  • krnchkrnch Member Posts: 127
    I like the original (99/00) front and rear facias better than the 2001 pictures depict. They are more angular and blend better with the overall new edge styling, in my opinion. Personally I think the new 'boobless' headlamps look pretty good, but agree that it would be a shame to loose the 'whisker' effects.

I think the new wheels look really nice, but knowing how much brake dust the Cat spits out, I'll bet they'll be a b--ch to clean (assuming they havn't changed the brake pads).
  • fastback2fastback2 Member Posts: 55
    The weight distribution posts brought an idea to mind. In the recent past, Mazda had a neat little sports car called the RX-7, which used a rotary engine. If I remember correctly, that engine put out a lot of power for its displacement and was fairly small in size as well. Since FMC has access to Mazda technology, I believe Ford could reuse Mazda's rotary engine design. While a new transaxle design for FWD would be needed, I wonder how well a rotary engine would work out in the cougar.
    Interesting idea, Fastback2. Didn't the RX-7 powerplant put out something like 255 hp from a 2.3 litre engine? That would be pretty sweet in the Cougar. I seriously doubt we'll ever see it though. :(

I wonder what kind of 0-60 times the new Cougar S will post...
  • camelardcamelard Member Posts: 171
    OK, FMC has destroyed the front fascia and the rear fascia for 2001 (ie: they have eliminated some of the best styling features of the Cat) so what is the plus side?

There will be much fewer of the real thing (99/00) and they will become classics that much sooner.

Sorry all, even in my most pollyannic mood that was the best I could come up with.
  • shopper2000shopper2000 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I just read C+D's sport coupe comparison reprinted from December. I understand that article has been discussed in length somewhere in CSG.

Can someone please point me to the approximate response numbers that discuss the article?

I've been attracted to the Cougar's sleek styling, but it's often disheartening reading reviews about its performance.

Thanks.
    Shopper2000:

I'll see if I can find exact numbers for you, but if you truly want the owner's opinions about the Cougar, it's not really that long of a novel to read all the posts here and in our previous topic in the owner's club on Edmunds.com, CSG: A New Start. Check it out when you can. As you can see also, the time and date of each post is printed with the post, so like I'm going to do, if you look back through the posts for that date you might have some luck.

I'm glad you're interested in the Cougar, and yes, we've been disheartened by the negative comments that some of the magazines write too. :^)

There's more positive than negative in the case of the Cougar though, and I'm sure you'll see that as you read through some of the posts.

Take care, and let us know if there are specific questions we can answer in the meantime.
  • fastback2fastback2 Member Posts: 55
    shopper2000,

Welcome to the CSG! As far as C&D is concerned, I would take their review of the cougar with a grain of salt. Other mags(Road & Track) have tested the cougar and were impressed with its performance. On a personal note, I have owned a cougar for about 20 months (and 28,000 miles) and can assure you that a V6 mtx(manual transmission) cougar is no slouch in the performance department (neither is the I4-equipped mtx cougar for that matter). If you go with an automatic, you will lose some ground in the 0-60 specs but others who own atx cougars here are quite happy with them.
    shopper2000:
    Welcome to the CSG!! As Fastback2 pointed out, take C&Ds reviews with a grain of salt. They seem to have a way of changing their opinion in each article they release.

All:
    I'm a bit disappointed with the Cougar-s. I too like the "boobie lights" and the original front and rear facia. I'm not really crazy about the wheels or the steering wheel. I was really thinking about getting one, but i'm going to rethink this.

This is all assuming this is the real Cougar-S and not just spy photos of a hyped up basic V6. Does anyone know where these shots came from, and has FMC confirmed them? If not, i'm going to wait to see the official "S" at Cougar Fest before I make a real opinion. If you notice in one of the pics there is a black Cat all decked out with effects and red trim. What kind of Cat is that? Spy photos are cool, but not always trustworthy.
    badulah:
    The photos were taken from a Ford Plant.. not sure which one tho. The black cat you are talking about is owned by the person who took these pictures. He lives close to the plant and offered to go "spying" as people have seen quite a few of these new cougars around.
  • mws0520mws0520 Member Posts: 45
    I will neither confirm nor deny that the pictures that were posted were product correct. Those of you attending Cougarfest next month will see the real thing live and in person.

I do like all of the comments (both good and bad) because it has generated Cougar related posts and not mini-van posts.

It is all about the buzz...
    You know what I think? (wishfull thinking tho)

They must have the new real 2001 cougars hidden away somewhere. They built a few of these test mules to throw us off. So that when we do see the real cougar, we will be blown away by the new look.

But then again... probably not!!
    I think what MWS is saying is that whether people like the new style or not the important thing is that people are talking about the car. Since it's introduction, the Cougar has sort of faded into the background. Especially since newer models have been released(Celica and Eclipse) by other manufacturers. But, I hope when some of you go to Cougarfest that you will let us know if these pictures are fake.
  • scanr75scanr75 Member Posts: 1
    i want to get a cd changer for my 99 cougar, but i dont want to pay the dealers price...can anyone tell me what make and model the factory uses, and if the adaptor is available aftermarket yet.

thanks
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    The new Cougar front-end says one thing to me -- adolescent coupe in a training bra.

Absolutely no offense to the female Cougar owners intended...

Promise...

Honest...I do!
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    Hey folks...

Long time, no post -- lots of reading though. JEEZ! 300+ posts. I'm dyin' here.

Outside temperature guage - Anyone had any problems with their digital thermometer this summer in the oppressive heat? Mine's been stuck in the 70s...in Atlanta, GA! We've had 95+ temps most of the summer, and the stupid readout hovers in the 70s and 80s. Even in the sun! Is this a problem with the sensor or the dashboard unit? Anyone having similar problems?

HID replacement bulbs - I noticed someone asking about higher wattage replacement bulbs for the fog lights. Can bulbs with similar wattages be used which feature the blue/white discharge? I've noticed some pseudo-HID-Xenon bulbs for sale that can replace OEM bulbs, and I'd like to try them out. I've never been happy with the low-beam effectiveness of my Cougar's headlights.

Firestone tires - Can Ford/Mercury dealerships offer discounted replacements for non-recall Firestone OEM tires? I'm concerned that my 15" OEM tires are going to go LONG before their warranty runs out. Not to mention the fact that they're a harsh riding tire.

Thanks for any and all help. Nice to read some posts again. Missed y'all this summer.
  • spartan93spartan93 Member Posts: 16
    scanr75: FMC used Clarion as a supplier of CD changers in the early '90s. I don't know if this has changed or if they make the OEM for '99+ Cats, though.

burnsmr4: I currently live in the Baltimore area. We have had some major temperature variances in the past few weeks. I've had readings between 96 and 63 F. They have been within a couple degrees of local radio weather reports at any given time (a decent check off). Sounds like you have a legitimate concern.

Your dealer can do anything they choose in regards to replacing your tires (they are an independent company). Most likely, they will stick to the tire manufacturer's warranty (separate from your 3/36 "bumper-to-bumper warranty). You should have received a flyer specific to your tire supplier for your review. If not, calling the tire manufacturer should be a source of information.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    burnsmr4:

I also had problems with my outside temperature gauge readings this spring/summer. The dealer replaced the sending unit under warranty and it seems to be reading accurately now.
    burnsmr4: Welcome back. My temperature gauge has always been pretty accurate. I've always felt that the average speed reading has been lower than expected though.

sqeaky wheels: I have a sqeaky wheel. It sounds like crickets cherping when I drive. It's a different sound than the sqeal caused by the silver coating (explained in the TSB). It sort of sounds like a brake wear indicator but the idiot light for that hasn't come on and I don't have very many miles on these brakes. I'm wondering if its the bearings in one of my wheels. Has anyone ever had bearings go bad? I'm taking the car in tomorrow morning to have it checked out. I'll let you know what they say. In the meantime any insight would be appreciated.

Andy.
    Burnsmr4:

My temperature gauge has always worked within a degree or three of local broadcast reports also. I second the motion to take it in and have them replace it.

I also agree that the dealer will probably want to stick with the warrantee coverage, but you might have some luck with a complaint about the wear or ride characteristics. Also, chances are the manufacturer might be supplying a different tire now for the 15" wheels, so you might want to check with your dealer.

Krnch:

Odd that you mention that. Which wheel seems to be having the noise? I get a wierd creak (if you will) from the rear passenger side wheel when it's really hot outside, or really cold outside. It's so intermittent that it hasn't set off my personal warning beacons, but since you mention an odd squeak, I thought I would too. :^)
    I can't tell which wheel it is. I think it may be the rear driver side wheel. Maybe it was the acidic Lake Placid rain!
    stageleft:

Have you noticed that rear passenger side wheel noise only happens when you are backing up after having parked overnight, especially after a humid or rainy night? My Cat has such a problem, and it is described in the following TSB. The dealer claims that Ford doesn't have a fix yet. When I pick up my car, I'm asking for a printout of the whole TSB.

Service Bulletin Number: 8192
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 123
    Date of Bulletin: 0002
    NHTSA Item Number: SB612344
    Make: MERCURY
    Model: COUGAR
    Year: 1999
    Component: BRAKES:HYDRAULIC:SHOE:DISC BRAKE SYSTEM
    Summary: SOME VEHICLES EQUIPED WITH 4-WHEEL DISC BRAKES MAY EXHIBIT A GROAN / GRIND NOISE FROM THE REAR BRAKES ON THE FIRST APPLICATION AFTER THE VEHICLES HAS BEEN PARKED OVERNIGHT. *TT
  • jayhawk5jayhawk5 Member Posts: 70
    Wow- so it wasn't my imagination. My car has made that groan probably 5 or 6 times in it's lifetime. The first time it scared me to death. It's always in the morning (first thing) when I'm backing out of my driveway. Hopefully it's nothing serious. I haven't taken it in yet to get it checked. Like I said, it hasn't happened very often.
    I think I've heard that groan before, but it the crickets in my wheel that I'm presently concerned with. I've heard this squeaking several times now and it happens both when I first start driving and after driving for a while. The car's in the shop now - I'll see what they say. As luck would have it, the crickets were asleep on the way to the dealer this morning. Murphy's Law, I guess.
    Blane:

Thanks for the info. I have that too, usually after it's parked for more than 8 hours. The most often time the brake thing happened was when I was backing out of the spot at the office. It was in a garage, so I don't think heat had much to do with it. I'm thinking it's the moisture. Unitl you posted the TSB, I was attributing that noise to the thin coat of rust that appears on the rotors after it sits for a while. Thanks, I'll get that checked out too.

Krnch:

I think I do have the same noise as you, but are you experiencing it more often than once every couple of weeks/months?
    From 1991-1999 I worked in the corporate Security field for several huge communications companys (Started with AT&T and then went with the split to Lucent, and then my division merged with a division of Philips Electronics). So I know how companys operate and I know the extents they go to in order to hide projects and unreleased products. It's really hard for me to believe that Ford Motor Company would leave one of their latest limited Edition projects sitting in an area where anyone could just drive up and snap photos of it, or even worse, steel it. If that is the case, I would seriously question the security policies and procedures FMC has in place at their facilities.
  • esbrockesbrock Member Posts: 88
    Just got off the phone with the service dept at the dealer. It looks like they are replacing the belt tensioner on my Cougar. I should get it back today. That means I'll be installing the B&M shifter either tonight or taking the day off from work and doing it tomorrow. BTW, someone asked if you had to purchase a new shift knob. The answer is no. You can either keep your stock knob, this is what I'm doing, or use the knob included in the kit. The reverse lockout is billet aluminium, so it looks like the one on the pictures of that supposed Cougar-S.
  • fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    I'd be willing to bet, perhaps, if the person who took the photo
    goes back, it might not be there.... or maybe just maybe it was a
    original prototype 99 that one of the employee's is still driving....
    what was the milage on that baby..
  • coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    I have had three strangers come up and compliment my kitty in the past two days. She's such a gorgeous thing!
    krnch:

Your "crickets" may have something to do with how tight (or loose) your lugnuts are.
    coolchick:

Didn't your Mommy tell you not to talk to strangers?

It IS great to receive such compliments though.
  • jayhawk5jayhawk5 Member Posts: 70
    It must be that color. I've had a lot of compliments on the sapphire blue. And it's a collector's item now.
This discussion has been closed.