Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cougar Support Group - Bigger & Better

Comments

• ptailorptailor Member Posts: 42
    Thanks Fredly. I called the dealership back today, and they are going to look at the car on the weekend. Hopefully things will be ok!

Check out the new 2001 cougar.. Mercury has updated their site!
    www.mercuryvehicles.com
  • badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    All:
    WOW!! I'm happy to see all of the posts that took place while I was gone. The CSG is still going strong!

I was in Atlanta from last Tuesday until this past Friday, but I had a really busy weekend, and yesterday I had an all day meeting in New York City.

Today I have to call Visteon to arrange the details for my effects kit, and I have to get in touch with Lefty and talk about the new web site. I'm glad to be back in touch with the CSG!
  • stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    As for in-dash video:

I think a system like that is fine ... in that back of an SUV or Minivan! I don't believe that it's right to be able to drive and try to watch TV at the same time as it must be a huge distraction in addition to all the other inane stuff that people do behind the wheel other than drive ... but I digress.

I'm really upset with people in general right now. I'm working on tracking down the person/s who have damaged my Cat! I'm puttin out an APB on a white somethingorother that totally gouged the passenger side of my otherwise pristine Cougar. I'm really upset about this one, because it's really obvious, and visibly dented. People suck ... not any of you, but other people in general. :^(

Other than that, the Cat is running really well, and if I try not to think of the damage, I'm fine. My Firerock tires have 28K on them now, and I'm still back and forth on being satisfied/dissatisfied, but I still don't really like the tires.

I'll let you know how they wear as time goes by ...

Later everybody!
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Did you already tell us what happened to your Cat?
  • fastback2fastback2 Member Posts: 55
    Sorry to hear about the damage to your cougar. I've got a couple of good-sized dings on my car from folks who obviously don't have the mental capacity to carefully open a car door. I have to admit, I momentarily envied the ability of Saturn autos to resist dings (MWS: As a future change to the cougar, it would be great if FMC could come up with dent-resistant side panels. While the OEM paint job is top notch, any dents on the side panels are very visible in daylight). As far as tires are concerned, tirerack.com had a sale on the BFGoodrich VR4s a while back ($65/tire).
  • gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    Rob: The gang isn'nt going to die while you take a week off!!!! We might miss your presence, but we'll live ;-)

Lefty: Sorry to hear about your ding.

My personal method of side survival is to park way out in West Bumble. As most people who can't open a door properly are also too lazy to walk any distance, this method has worked pretty good. My last car had only one door ding in 9 years, and I know where that one came from, an excited 8yr old girl just had to get out of her dad's car immediately upon arrival at the Rennisance (?) Faire. @years with the cat, and not a scratch (so far, knock on anything available!!)

Skip G.
  • blackcoug1blackcoug1 Member Posts: 15
    I can sympathize. My poor kitty got mangled in a parking lot. Multiple deep scratches down the driver side is the first thing I see when I have to go somewhere. The insurance company is taking care of it though. Sorry to hear about your car.
  • dgeminidgemini Member Posts: 161
    Fredly:

Man, if you went through the KDWs that fast I am glad I didn't get them, however, I still have to see how long these Pep Boys Ultra Zs hold up. They also have a rating of 300.

Stageleft:

I know, it really sucks. My kitty has been in the body shop twice since I have had it. The bodyshop did a relatively crappy job the last time too. However, I have sucked it up since I don't want to do without my car longer than I have too.

Sigh!!!
  • camelardcamelard Member Posts: 171
    Skip G is right. I always go for the farthest reaches of any parking lot just to be on the safe side. Besides this way everyone has an unobstructed view of my Kitty and who am I to deny anyone such an obvious pleasure.
    Welcome back. We were about to send out another one of those "Badulah, where are you?" messages. We may have to send one out for Benisem. Your co-pilot seems to be MIA.
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    Folks,

Why is the alternator/battery light coming on in 2nd gear at 6000+ RPMs? Is that bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sincerely,
    burnsmr4
    Lefty:
    Sorry to hear about your injured Kitty. I also follow the Skip G. rule of parking. I stay as far away from everyone else as possible.

In Dash Video:
    In NJ this is illegal in the front of the car for obvious reasons. Although I would never install it in my Cat, I do think it is very cool.
    Thanks for the sympathy everyone. As we all know, dings look much bigger to the owner of the car that received it. It's really bad though, so I'll be approaching my Cat from the driver's side only for a while ... :^)

I couldn't park as far away from the nimrods in this instance because it was in my development's parking area. I have to park somewhere, and up until yesterday morning my neighbors were really respectful of other cars. I'm just a little bummed that I have to call up one of those paintless dent removal places to get a quote. Hopefully it won't cost too much, and maybe I can get the other ding out at the same time.

We shall see.

Burnsmr:

I had the same problem. It turned out my alternator was going bad. Have your dealer run tests on that, or better yet, just get it replaced. I hope that fixes the problem, it did for me! (btw, sorry for not acknowledging the problem yesterday, but I didn't put two and two together until you reiterated your experiences.)

Good luck.
  • benisembenisem Member Posts: 30
    I am not MIA, I just have not had much to say! Hmm, I was away this past weekend at a ranch in upstate NY where I was thrown from a horse. This was not that much fun.

When I left for my trip on Friday, I dropped my Bella off at the dealer for some warranty issues:

1. Rear Window gasket loose - dealer reapplied the gasket. (it is still loose in my opinion!)
    2. Window clanking - parts ordered
    3. worn leather seat cover - seat cover ordered
    4. passenger side rattle when air is turned on or off - parts ordered.
    5. Gear shift boot not properly on, well, this is kind of interesting.. Badulah pointed out that my gear shift was different than anyone else's. At Cougarfest I was able to confirm that mine was unique! Anyhow, they reset the boot but it is still not right. I guess I will have to make them call the guy from Auto Alliance.

Anyhow, I have a silly question. What does OEM stand for?

Well, I am off into my quest for a new job, and hopefully less stress!

Speak to you all soon!
    Denise
  • fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    Dgemini,
    I would have to say, my "driving" style did it to the tires, not to mention my access road at work, eats tires, very rough textured pavement(although its just been repaved, mmmmm) I think with normal driving they would last like a normal tire. Although, does any of us "Drive Normal"
  • mouse409mouse409 Member Posts: 34
    OEM stands for origional equipment manufacture. it is used to denote the place that makes the origional parts for the car or whatever.
    =^..^=
  • daexpertdaexpert Member Posts: 140
    I called Ptuning and they will be shipping the Pacesetter Exhaust by the end of the week!!! Seems like Pacesetter finally completed them, I can't wait, but it also seems that there are other exhausts (from different companies) for the Cougar coming out as well, so we'll see how this one works out for me.
    Glad your back. I think I must be turning into my Mother. Worry, worry, worry. Good luck with the job hunt. I am sure you will find something terrific in no time.

Pat
  • coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    I'll be out of touch until next week. I'm flying out to Vegas tonight. The only thing (besides the $$$) that has me nervous is the thought of having to leave Adelaide in long-term parking. Poor thing!
    Due to all of the complaints about the Pacesetter, I have decided to build my own Borla exhaust kit. My plan is to buy the mufflers and the resinator that come with the Borla Kit, and then take them to an exhaust shop and have them use the Borla kit specs to build the rest of the system. This should give me the same performance results as the actual system and yet save me quite a few dollars.

I called Visteon on Tuesday for my body kit, but I have not heard back from them yet. I would like to have the kit put on sometime this month. I'm also going to need new tires before October is over. I have to get my kitty inspected for the first time, and I don't think the Firestones will pass.
  • daexpertdaexpert Member Posts: 140
    badulah,
    That's not a bad idea, how much would you spend in total, including installation? As far as the Pacesetter goes, I'm getting it for $142, so that's not bad at all, I figured that even if it stinks, my loss is not bad at all.
  • malibumalibu Member Posts: 155
    You mentioned an inspection, what kind of inspection do you have to go through back there?

We just have smog inspections here.
    Coolchick, have a nice trip!

Everyone: Hey! Happy Cougaring!
    Daexpert:
    Actually I have no idea how much it will cost, but when I find out, i'll let you know.

Malibu:
    NJ state requires a safety/exhaust inspection every two years. They check the breaks, tires, lights, windows (no tint allowed on front windows, but that's why I go to a private inspection station. They usually let it slide), exhaust levels, and a few other things. It's really a pain in the rear, but if you don't do it and get nailed by the Police, the fine is $150.00.
    I can see where it would be a pain, but I bet you guys don't have alot of junkers that are unsafe driving around like out here. The smog check out here is really a joke, some of the cars on the road are completely unsafe, but if they pass a smog check it's okay. I'm glad my little kitty will be safe and smogged for many years to come!
    I checked out a Canadian site for the 2001 Cougar and lo and behold the base model is the V6 with the V6 S as an option. No I4. The Mercury site still lists an I4 as the base. Given the higher gas taxes in this country I would have thought the I4 would be a bigger seller here than in the U.S. Apparently not, and I must admit I have never seen one here. Just an observation.

Malibu, Badulah:

Consider yourselves lucky that there is any kind of inspection required. Ontario was supposed to implement exhaust inspections but I think they are still in pilot mode.

As far as safety inspections, ha, I wish. I see far to many cars on the road with: no plates; bumpers hanging by a thread; doors that fly open around every bend; missing windows; missing headlights, tail lights, etc.. and, my personal favourite:

Police car with the roof light rack listing precariously to one side. This was actually an RCMP vehicle which we later learned was brand new and the officer it was assigned to was so proud of being given one of the new vehicles he proceeded immediately to the nearest car wash. Obviously not the touchless kind.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    There has been much interest here about Ford/Mercury stuffing the 3.0 litre V6 Duratech under a Cougar's hood to give future models a bit more muscle. Perhaps we should all take a deep breath and read the "WEDNESDAY - OCTOBER 4, 2000
    Exclusive Report on the Jaguar V6 S-Type" article at:

http://www.blueovalnews.com/
    Anyone owning a Cougar WITHOUT antilock brakes, built before March 17, 2000, should read this from www.blueovalnews.com :

Ford Motor Company will issue a safety recall concerning certain 1996 through 2000 model year Contour and Mystique models and 1999 through2000 model year Cougars for a possible brake defect.

The vehicle's Brake Pressure Control Reducing Valve will be replaced under safety recall number 00S03. According to Ford, "on some of the affected vehicles, one or both of the brake Pressure Control Reducing Valves (PCRV) may malfunction due to corrosion. If both PCRVs malfunction, both rear wheels may lock up when braking, potentially resulting in loss of control."

The recall will include the following vehicles:

* All 1996 through 2000 Model Year Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique Vehicles without Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) with build dates 4/1/1996 through 2/4/00 at the Kansas City Assembly Plant and build dates 4/15/96 through 2/18/00 at the Cuautitlan Mexico Assembly Plant.

* All 1999 through 2000 Model Year Cougar Vehicles without Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) built from Job1 through 3/16/00 at Flat Rock Assembly Plant
    Thanks for the heads up. I don't have ABS so will check it out with my dealer immediately.

Pat
    Thanks for that great information, Blane! We should all hold our breath, because honestly I believe we're going to have the 2.5L in our stable for the duration of the Cougar line.

Odd how they don't sell I4's in Canada. But then again, they're Fords in Canada now, right? I'm just wondering if they plan on implementing any of the euro features in Canadian models like the climate control system or anything.

Take care all, and have a great and safe three day weekend! (If you don't have a three day weekend, sorry, but I do so I'm making sure the Cat gets it's bath.)

Later, and Happy Cougaring!
  • krnchkrnch Member Posts: 127
    I was talking to one of the salespeople recently at the dealer. They told me the I4 wasn't going to be available in Canada for 2001.
  • esbrockesbrock Member Posts: 88
    When I first start my car in the morning, I hear the lifters clatter a little bit. The noise does not persist while I'm driving. It only happens during that first start up of the day. Has anyone else had the same thing happening to them? Should I be concerned about it?
    I too hear a slight chatter right after the first start up of the day. It goes away after a few seconds.
  • dasaint1dasaint1 Member Posts: 230
    From the posts that I've read here, is it just me or does it seem like every Cougar owner brings his/her Cat to the dealer for some kinda repair every month.

I've had my Cat since March, 2000, have about 10,000 miles on her, and I haven't once gone to the dealer. I prefer to go to my neighborhood mechanic to change the oil. Am I missing out on anything here?

I know there's been a lot of TSB posted but none of them applies to me. My Cat (knock on wood) is running fine. Somehow I feel like I should take her to the dealer for something.
    Malibu:

Your fog lights are running like they are supposed to. It's pretty logical when you think about it. If you are running your high beams during foggy conditions your an idiot because the reflections of the lights off the fog will blind you. So, if you're high beams are on the car figures there is no need for the fog lights, it would only compound the problem. These lights are used wrong in the states by a majority drivers. In Eurore, it's considered rude to be using the fog lights in anything but inclimate weather.
    Stageleft:

Cougar's are still under the Mercury brand here in Canada.

Dasaint1:

Although I haven't had my Cat as long as you (since June for me) I haven't had mine back to the dealership at all. Just to jiffy lube for the oil change. So far Nimue is running great.

Have a great weekend all.
    No chatter or clatter here with my V6.
    Thanks. I'm pretty knowledgable about the fog, here in Central Calif. we get the Tule fog, where you can't even see the lines of the road. It was foggy last night when I came home and I would never use my high beams. I just turned them off and on in the driveway to get the dog to move and noticed against the garage door that the fog lights went out. As long as thats normal then no worries. Thanks.
  • lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    How do you know it's the lifters? It could be piston slap. Mine doesn't make any untoward noises when starting up.

Does the Duratec even have hydraulic lifters? Where do you put them on a DOHC engine? The dread Pontiac OHC 6 had hydraulic rocker arm posts but most OHC engines are solid and shimmed; there isn't as much expansion to worry about as in OHV engines.

I'm not taking my engine apart to find out. It runs too good.
    To be honest, I don't know for certain if it is the lifters or not. I have heard noisy lifters in other cars and it sounds similar to it. But it is just an assumption. If it is possible piston slap is occuring, should I be concerned about that?
  • fastback2fastback2 Member Posts: 55
    I'm pretty sure it's the lifters you're hearing, as most cars that I know of use hydraulic lifters. What surprises me is that I haven't noticed excessive lifter noise on my cougar, as I think that kind of noise would be a typical characteristic of all cougars if it is due to the way the engine oil circulation system was designed. One thing you might want to check is the oil level as a low oil level might result in the clatter you are hearing. Unless you've been racing your cougar(i.e lots of wear and tear), I doubt the noise is due to piston slap.
  • sulimansuliman Member Posts: 4
    I think fog lights look cool even in normal weather. I usually run just the fog lights when during sunrise and sunset. I always run my fog lights when it's night. I don't think it rude to run them when the weather is good. I've noticed that fog lights don't make a huge difference in inclement weather anyway.
  • miahart143miahart143 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All!! I test drove a Mercury Cougar V6 a couple of weeks ago and literally fell in LOVE with the thing!!! It was absolutely amazing!! The handling and luxurious feeling I had just driving it around, I didn't want to get out of the car at the end of the test drive. *L* Of course, I could have driven a tin can and felt the same after spending 3 years driving a Kia Sephia...*L* Now there is a lemon!! I have had my Kia in the shop over 48 times in 18 months after I bought it brand new in 1997 and am suing them under the Lemon Law. I quit taking it back to the dealer after I got too many "No problem found at this time" deals and the warranty ran out. Currently need yet another trans and really needs a new engine. I don't want to go thru this kind of nightmare again. But I really fell in love with the Cougar and just wanted to get some feedback from Cougar enthusiasts, any problems, concerns, warnings about the Cougars?
  • miahart143miahart143 Member Posts: 2
    Where can I find a pic of the 2001 Cougars??? Nothing here on Edmunds yet. The dealer got in the books for 2001 but hasn't mailed it to me yet, unless, well the salesman mentioned that he would personally hand deliver one to my house. As is, I live out in the boonies so he must have gotten lost...LOL ( I wonder if they will go to such extremes once I make my purchase...*S*) Anyway, would love to see what they have done with the 2001's.
    Thanks...*S*
    You can go to the Mercury web site www.mercuryvehicles.com and look at the 2001 Cougar.

I have had my Cougar since June of 1999 and still love it(all 16,600 mile of it). There are a couple of things that annoy me(rattles,noises and AC problems), but other than those things the car has been very good to me. I am sure the '01 models are more trouble free than the '99's were since the '99 was the first model year of the Cougar. If you are interested in the "S" model, you may have a little difficulty finding one. I believe they are only making about 3000. Which Cougar did you drive(ATX, V6???)
  • coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    miahart: I got my Cougar in February 2000 and still love it dearly. I checked the weather reports this morning just to make sure it was going to be good car-washing weather!

At this point, I haven't had any real problems, just a couple of issues with the driver's side door paint along the bottom edge and the weatherstripping on the driver's side. No mechanical issues whatsoever.

I will be glad when the Firestones wear out though, 'cuz they are one rough-riding tire. If you happen to get a kitty with the 'Rocks on it, be sure to keep them at optimum inflation pressure because that helps lots.
    Most of us were once in the same position as you, we drove or saw the Cougar and had to have one. I have had two since June 1st. The first was destroyed by a fire to my home and I didn't even hesitate to get another. I never even considered getting a different car after owning a Cougar. I'm sure if you liked the test drive you will be very pleased with owning one. I know it's time consuming, but if you can go back through prior posts and read the statements, questions and complaints of everyone you will be very informed when purchasing your Cougar. Salesmen have a way of behaving a little better when you go in with information and know exactly what to ask. Good luck and hope you get exactly what you want.
  • sladebowhuntersladebowhunter Member Posts: 1
    Speaking of tires; any luck with non-factory tires for performance? I want to buy new tires in the spring, but can't decide which ones. I hear the BFGoodrich g-force KDW's are nice, but since they come standard on the SVT contour I bet I can do better. Any suggestions? (price is definitely an issue, no P-zero's please)
    I went to OwnersConnection section of the Mercury website and found out my car has been recalled for "Recall 00S03: Brake pressure control reducing valve". I made an appointment at the dealer for Monday. I thought you all should be aware of this new recall. My dealer had no idea about the recall!!
    That was the one about non-ABS Cougars, right?

Just checking ...
This discussion has been closed.