Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cougar Support Group - Bigger & Better

Comments

• malibumalibu Member Posts: 155
    I'm going to be famous!!! The dealership I bought both cougars at just called and they want my new cougar and I to be in a comercial for them tomorrow! It's for local tv. Just a testimonial type thing with me standing next to the cougar. Oh what will I wear? I guess I'll have to do a little touch up cleaning on the car this evening...wouldn't you know it's supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow! Seriously though I really do love this cougar. I discovered how well the ABS & Disc brakes work yesterday on the way to work. You definatly STOP. I still haven't decided on a name for her, my daughter calls her "Deja" as in Deja-Vu, she says we've been here and done this before. I think it would have been a good license plate had I not already had one. Well just wanted to share...I will remember you little people when I'm a star! Ha-Ha.
  • badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    Malibu:
    THAT'S GREAT!!! I hope the weather clears so you can stand next to your super clean kitty when they film.

Also, do you think they will let you mention the CSG in the commercial? You don't have to say very much, just a short line or two. Something short and sweet, just enough to get our name spread around a bit. Maybe something like:
    "And by the way, be sure to check out the Cougar Support Group at www.cougarsupportgroup.com!! They have TONS of GREAT Cougar related information, that every Cougar owner should have access to. Stuff like install guides, detailing tips, product reviews, CSG decals (T-Shirts coming soon!), and great advice from their wide network of members!! I personally like their spread on the Limited Edition California Cougar, but you should check them out and decided what you like the best. They also have awesome members from around the country, and even in Canada!! I think their way coolest member is Badulah, closely followed by StageLeft, and that guy Skip isn't bad either. Log on today and decide who your favorite member is!! O Yeah, and membership is FREE!!

LOL! >;-)
  • stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    I'm not thinking they'll allow that on broadcast T.V., Badman ... I mean, just look at the use of the word "spread". huh-huh, heh-heh.

Burnsmr:
    I have not forgotten about you, I will have that information about the size of the oil pan plug for you by tonight, hopefully.

Malibu:

That's fantastic! Good lu- I mean break a leg! Be sure to tape your appearance for your Hollywood screentest.

Later everybody, and Happy Cougaring!
  • gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    Malibu:

Just don't get stage fright. Remember, you have a strong message to get out to your constituancy. If you're elected,,,, Sorry, it's that time of year, and I'm suffering from overload.

Seriously, have fun, and see what the dealer will give you for signing that release. (Don't forget to fight for residuals).

Bad:

You're going to fatten my head!! 0:-)

Skip G.
    Boy, everyone wants a piece of the action when your a star...my 15seconds of fame will probably be postponed because it is pouring today! I don't know how they can tape in the rain, unless they let me pull into the showroom and all the detail guys clean up the cat. I doubt that will happen. I will gladly mentions the CSG if given the chance that promise I will make. Badulah: If I need an agent I'll call you! I will let you guys know tomorrow how it goes, wish me luck and a break in the rain.
    Malibu:
    My people will call your people and we will do lunch. Chao babe.

(um, that was by best attempt to sound like an agent)
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Good job badulah....If I needed an agent you will be my man!!!!
    LOL!

I'll stick with being the CSG's caretaker.

I called Visteon yesterday and I will be getting my ground effects package sometime the week after next. I'm looking forward to getting it, but i'm a little worried that it will take away from the car. Don't get me wrong, I like the kit, but lets face it, the car already looks great!!
    Burnsmr:

The manual says, and I quote, " ... the oil pan drain plug is usually 16mm."

Neat, huh? Almost a definate answer. :^)
  • mws0520mws0520 Member Posts: 45
    Welcome home...
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    The dealership told me that the plug size was 15mm. Oddly enough, that's the ONLY size that I couldn't find in tool sets at Pep Boys. From the $6 set to the $169 set -- no 15mm. I'll try the 16mm from the set that I did buy. Thanks.

Where can I get the Chilton's manual you mentioned? None of the local parts stores carry the one for the 1999 Cougar/Mystique/Contour. Thanks...again!
    Good question, Burnsmr. Fastback2 donated this book to the CSG when we met at LP. He purchased it somewhere online, I believe. It covers 97-99 Mystique/Contours and the 99 Cougar (so even though most of the components were similar, there might be some minor differences between the 99's and the 00's).

Check Amazon, or Barnes and Noble online and see if you can find it, or FASTBACK2: Where did you get the Chilton's manuals?

Thanks!

Take care everyone, and have a great weekend!
    Well my 15 min. of fame came and went. They did the filming in the showroom and used a red Escape (smaller version of the Explorer) because of the rain they didn't let anyone use there own cars. They asked questions regarding how you chose that dealership, that particular car, the inventory and the treatment by the sales staff. I did mention that I researched my car for over a year online and kept abreast of what was happening with that particular model through the CSG (just for you Badulah!) It won't be aired for a few months, but it was fun, I got a free oil change, lube, detail and tire rotation out of it so what the heck. Happy Friday!!!
  • fastback2fastback2 Member Posts: 55
    Stageleft & Burnsmr,

I got the manual from amazon.com for around $20. It's pretty useful, as it goes into detail about such items as the engine management system(controls the fuel injection and ignition). A nice reference to have when a repair shop comes back with a questionable estimate.

Malibu,

Sorry about the weather raining in on your day of fame. Good ol' mother nature always seems to have a way of making life interesting when it comes to planned outdoor activities (especially in the Northeast)

Have a good weekend!
  • pantha2pantha2 Member Posts: 1
    Well . . . I've had my Citrus Gold 2000 Cougar for 7 months now and I am STILL thrilled to drive her every day ... a truly amazing vehicle around corners and ever so comfortable. Incredible amount of attention by fellow drivers and everyone loves the color because it is so different. I see Cats several times a week here in Knoxville, mostly silver and red driven by women. People roll down their windows to look, lower their sunglasses, Thumbs Up out their windows, Praise Her in the Drive Thru. And the best part is . . . NO PROBLEMS AT ALL . . . and ... no scratches, no dings. Very careful to park away from everyone else. My Car Is A God.

Mindy
  • camelardcamelard Member Posts: 171
    Badulah:

Welcome Back!

Malibu:

Congrats on the 15 mins of fame. Do you get to review the tape before it goes to air?

Gustafsc:

If you could see my office, desk, floor, cabinets, you would know that I can sympathize with you having to part with what was. Thank God the computer revolution has reduced our dependence on paper. NOT!

All:

When I started up Nimue this morning the Air Bag light started flashing at me. don't know what it means but it stopped when I turned off the engine and re-started. Has this happened to anyone else?
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    Well, dang it all to heck!

(Is that appropriate enough for Edmunds.com Town Hall guidelines?)

The plug is 15mm. I tried the 16mm and the 14mm, and it's in between. 2 weeks I've spent trying to change my oil. This is ridiculous.

Can anyone suggest how to get an oil filter wrench to the oil filter? I'm confronted by suspension piece and HOT (if the car has been moved) exhaust something or other.

Bottom line -- am I out of my league here? Be honest. Be ruthless. Be brutal. My girlfriend seems to think I need some sense knocked back into me :-)

Thanks,
    burnsmr
  • fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    camelard,
    With colder weather, moisture on the airbag sensor, will temporarily disable it,
    and the flashing is telling you that its disabled(so don't hit anything, hehe) I wouldn't worry unless the light stays on.
  • fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    Burns, depends what kind of oil wrench you bought, I usually use the kind sorta looks like a strap of metal with a hinged handle that cinches and gets tight, the handle is hinged so I can
    point it straight down from the filter, it takes a little leverage, but it really shouldn't be so tight, they should be on hand tight.

Suggestions, wait for the car to cool somewhat before changing the oil
    uf you think the exhaust is hot, wait till you get oil streaming down your forearm.

BTW I change all my own oil... its not a difficult process. Of course I do use a Lift...
  • jimbo_gjimbo_g Member Posts: 53
    FINALLY after alost 2 weeks in the shop, my car is back in my driveway everything seems to be working! They even fixed my wheel bearings!! I'm Happy again :-) Lets hope it stays working for a while... LOL ok let me go drive now, i've got to make up for 2 weeks of driving a Dodge Spirit! (badulah, at least your purple KIA was new, i was stuck in an 89 Spirit)

Later,
    Jimbo
    Hey everyone!

Burnsmr:

I know exactly what you're talking about with the filter being near the manifold. It's HOT!!! As Fredly mentioned, I'd wait until the car has cooled enough for you to not burn flesh if you accidentally touch the manifold, and play around with angles. Worse comes to worse, jam a screwdriver into the side of the old filter and give it a good twist that way. Since it's being replaced, and the new one should be hand tight, I don't believe there's any harm in this method. Good luck!

Well everyone, I definately tested the limitations of grip in my Cat this weekend. Going too fast on an exit ramp, and I experienced oversteer for the first time ever in this car. I'm as shocked as everyone else, I know. But this was particularly interesting because I felt the rear steering kick in and that's when it overcompensated for the speed. It was almost like the rear wanted to fish out, but instead the whole car just "found" a new line. The tires never squealed or lost traction. The good news is that as soon as I realized what was happening I just put my foot into the gas a little harder and *gently* corrected my line to avoid a curb and probably flipping over. It was a neat excersize, and I think I'd like to try it again -- on a track! (at least to see what would have, or could have happened if it went totally nuts on me.)

I would have to say to anyone in this situation not to panic and don't hit the brakes or try to countersteer too much or too hard. It was very gentle and even though it could have been very dangerous to me and others, the car gave me great feedback, all the way up to the point when the rear gained it's own intertia, and allowed me to keep control. I truly love this car (in case you couldn't tell by now).

Take care all, I hope you had a great weekend. Happy Cougaring!
    camelard:

Yeah, the computer revolution only allows you to create hardcopy for file faster than a typewriter, and to deliver it to others by wire so that they can make hardcopy.

Lefty:

Aint life fun on the edge!!! ;-)

Saw in the auto section of the Chicago Tribune, a picture of what is purported to be a 2002 Mercury "Coupe". (photo credit was Popular Mechanics) Said to be a 4-door version (ala Saturn half doors). Didn't know if it would be called a Cougar or something else, but it sure looked like a Cougar. And I don't think that the picture was the one that has been running around the net for the last 2 years but was artificially created.

Any comments MWS???

Skip G.
    Burnsmr:
    As a few others have pointed out, let the car cool before trying to change the oil. The first time I changed my oil I went out and bought one of those filter remover wrenches, but I only used it once. I find that hand tightening the filter is sufficient. I use the Fram "Sure Grip" filters for maximum grip. These filters have a grainy surface that allow you to really grip it in tight places. Since the filter on your Cat is not a "Sure Grip", you should try using one of those kitchen jar opener pads. You know, one of those little rubber pads you use to open a jar. I have one I keep in the garage for jobs like the one your facing.

Malibu:
    Thanks for mentioning the CSG!!!! Also, sorry you couldn't use your Cat in the commercial.
    No one will do a state inspection on my Cat because of the tinted windows! Ford still owes me some cash to have them redone (because of the Ken Smith ordeal). So I will have to have it removed and then get the car inspected. I didn't think this would be a huge problem, but apparently the new inspection laws are very strict. In the past private stations would pass just about anything, but the new laws required private stations to purchase around $60,000 worth of equipment, and their licensing fees are very high. If the state finds them in violation, they will loose their license and will be fined a TON of cash. So the front tint comes off tomorrow at noon. O-Well, I guess I should be happy that I got away with it for this long.
    While I sympathize with you about the hassle you're going through, I, personally, don't think a strong windshield tint is a good idea in the first place. Sunglasses will do fine in the daytime, but I need to see all that I can see at night. Too many surprises out there.

Skip G.
    Skip:
    The tint isn't on the windshield, its on the passenger and driver side windows. It's coming off today at noon, and new tires are going on, and then I head to state inspection in the morning.
    I was having a rough time this week without my daily CSG fix. Ruined my disposition, people were running away in fear of my temper, several dings in the walls from manually launched objects, children hiding thier faces in thier mothers mini skirts (now there's a mental picture for you) ;-)

But, all is well now, my weekend will be peaceful.

Skip G
  • pattepatte Member Posts: 35
    Oh hi. I, too, have missed the CSG for the past few (insane) weeks. There is a calming aura to be found here that doesn't seem to exist in the "real" world.

This is NOT a cougar question but I hope one of you auto-aficienados will be able to answer. My 17 year old pulled a real typical teen "I didn't know where I was" blunder, ran a stop sign and got T-boned in the old '92 family Lumina sedan (replaced by the kitty which he will not be TOUCHING for another 15 years and if that sounds hard - I mean it that way). Of course we cancelled collision on Lumina since insurance for teenagers is aptly priced because they....no never mind. Anyway, three body shops said it was a drive away total and they couldn't touch it for under $2000. I called a salvage yard with a back door and found a guy who restores old cars who replaced it and pulled out the frame about a half inch. He thought it would be fine to drive. The tires had 100,000 on them so were replaced when I got it aligned. But the brakes are going and will cost $400 shortly. My question is - for a town car (high school to university classes to part time job IN town only) is a car that may or may not be "square" safe? Both the tire company and the restorer thought it was fine. Will the tires wear unevenly if it isn't square or is there any other damage I might need to worry about. (He did even manage to get the door in so it opens and closes.)
    My goal is to make the car last at least through high school graduation (spring) and with luck another 3 years of university. So how long do I have before I invest $400 on brakes to see if the car is really okay? (We paid $5100 for the car 5 years ago as a state fleet vehicle with 80,000 miles on it and haven't had ANY trouble or maintenance on it until now. So I don't mind putting some money into it.)

And no, my son and his passenger were not hurt, nor was the guy who hit them. (My four year stint as a health educator in traffic safety made me ask that questions and both kids and adult were buckled up and the adult's toddler was in a child safety seat. Thank goodness the seat belt nazicism worked. Now if I can only get him to be aware of his surroundings.)

Sorry this isn't a cougar question - but you guys are the only experts I know.

And yes, I still adore my cougar. One year old this month and still only 3,000 miles on her but complete with FOUR, count-them, FOUR dings on the driver's side. Arrggghh. I received my recall notice and will ask them to check my A/C as well since I haven't been in to ask them about the chirps.

Thanks for any words of wisdom you can offer!
  • juanbjuanb Member Posts: 6
    Hi all!
    Well... Its been like 3 months... but I'm back. Lately I don't have much time to follow the board as I used to do. There are two main reasons to come back. The first one is to check for new information and stuff like that. The second one is to confirm some REALLY REALLY BAD NEWS I just got :(
    I could try to explain, but its better if you check this link:

http://www.blueovalnews.com/cougar30_killed.htm

Any comments?
    I don't believe FMC ever said they would produce a 3.0L or a 3.8L Cat. I could be wrong though. Did anyone ever hear/read any announcements from FMC stating anything different? The only high performance Cat I ever heard about was the upcoming Cougar-S, which will be released to the public in 2001 (FINALLY!!!). Unfortunately the current Cougar has been rumored to go out of production in 2003, but FMC will not confirm or deny these rumors. Some rumors also state the new Cougar will be built on the Focus platform, but that would contradict the BON rumor about the Cougar going back to a rear wheel drive configuration.

To many rumors!!!!
  • jayhawk5jayhawk5 Member Posts: 70
    How much were your tires, and where did you get them from? I have a slow leak in my right front tire, and am going to use that as an excuse to get rid of my awful Firestones. Do they fit on the original 16" rims? Thanks for the info.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I would make sure there was no frame damage. If there is a bent frame, the cars structural integrity might be jeopardized. Alos the tires will probably wear uneven. Just my thoughts!!
  • coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    Cougar sighting on TV.

On NBC's show "Ed" the love interest Carol drives what looks to be a Spruce Green kitty. The shots I saw of the car were at night so it was hard to tell the color, but it's definitely a Cougar.
  • benisembenisem Member Posts: 30
    Well, I am very excited for starting my new job tomorrow. I hope it means new beginnings and the end of my string of bad luck. Well, today, Bella lost her clutch I think. I have never had a clutch go on me before. Bella with her 3300 miles could not go over 30. Anyhow, I was 5 miles from home (at the train station for Badulah) and I puttered along the road doing 30 barely making it over the two little hills I had to encounter. There was just no power. so, I called Ford's roadside assistance and they sent a flat bed to take Ms. Bella away. Seeing my baby ride off my street made me cry. Anyhow, any ideas what I am facing here? Any recollection of previous clutch/transmission problems posted?
    Any feedback would be appreciated. I'll keep you posted.
    -Denise
    Benisem:

Sorry to hear about the car troubles, I really hope it's nothing really major. Geez, just when you think everything is going your way, eh?

Hang in there, let us know what the service technician has to say about it.

Everyone:

Just to let you know, we've made a small update to the site (www.cougarsupportgroup.com), and we're now back on track for regular updates, as we said in the past - every week or so is what we'd like to adhere to. There are still some missing images and there's a lot more to add, content-wise, so keep checking back for more information!

(really sorry we got off kilter there for a while with the site, everybody. Thank you for all your patience in these busy times.) :^)
    Sorry to hear about your Bella's troubles, I had the same thing happen with my 4-runner after owning it only 1 month and it wasn't the clutch, but the clutch master cylinder, it cost about $110.00. I'm no mechanic but I would guess that any manual trans. would have one. Maybe someone else can help.

Well good news...they are framing my house and will roll trusses on Thursday! we are looking at a completion date of late Feb. early March! It's a long way off but at least we are making progress. My poor kitty is tired of driving over a dirt and rocky road every day. I can't wait to have a paved driveway and garage again. Happy Monday everyone!
  • benisembenisem Member Posts: 30
    Well, two of the three catalytic converters in my car went. I am not sure if you all remember but, I had a catalytic converter replaced within a week of picking up the car. Anyhow, I should have the car back tomorrow. The bad news : I could not be given a loaner bec I was only 24. I am sorry, but regardless of how old I am, if I am paying for this car every month, and it is broken after only four months I should not have to be 25 to get a loaner car. Just venting! Anyhow, that is what was wrong with my car and why I had next to no power.

-Denise
  • daexpertdaexpert Member Posts: 140
    Benisem, I'm also 24 years old and the dealer has always given me a rental when they keep my car longer than two days. I don't know if different States have different rules dealing with rentals but they should be able to give you one, at least I would think so.
    Jayhawk:
    I got them at Precision Tire on Route 17 in Ridgewood, NJ. I paid $125 each (including mounting, balancing, chrome stems/caps, and tax). And yes, they fit just fine on the stock 16" wheels.

Benisem:
    Glad to hear there was nothing wrong with your clutch. Hopefully this catalytic converter will go the distance.

Malibu:
    I'm glad to hear things are coming along with your new house. Before you know it you will be all settled in!!
  • pattepatte Member Posts: 35
    Thanks! Will get a third opinion on the frame and keep an eye on the tires.
    All:
    As Lefty said, we have updated the CSG web page, so be sure to stop by and check it out!! CSG T-Shirts are now on sale! Be sure to get yours while they are in stock!! They are available in Medium, Large, and Extra Large.

We have numerous other updates to add, and Lefty is working his butt off to get the membership sign up form working. He is having some trouble, but he is doing a lot better than I could with it. I have faith in him and I know it will be up and running very soon!
    HELLO!!! Where is everyone?
  • chat_managerchat_manager Member Posts: 14
    Just a reminder to you that may not know about our first Member-to-Member Chat titled "Friday Freeway". What a great way to actually chat live with your buddies from the Cougar Support Group! Today is the debut, but we will be having weekly "open" chats every Friday. We hope to see you!

When
    Date: DEBUT, Fri., Nov. 10th
    Time: 5-6pmPT/8-9pmET

About This Chat
    It's Friday rush hour. Your nerves frazzled, you seek relief. We have just the place for you. There's no stress on this cyber Friday Freeway...just a place to relax, meet new friends, chat and have fun. Remember our motto...Miss the traffic: Chat instead!

If you'd like to be on our mailing list for Upcoming Chats please email me at chats@edmunds.com.

Thanks so much!

Dana S. Livingston
    Chat Manager
    Town Hall
    Edmunds.com
  • coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    I just ordered personalized plates for my Adelaide.

They say KU-GRRR

Pretty darn cute, n'est pas?
  • chat_managerchat_manager Member Posts: 14
    http://townhall.edmunds.com/cgi-bin/townhall

to a list of all our chats on the Edmunds.com Town Hall page.

We look forward to you joining us for this weekly chat (except holidays). Friday Freeway Chat will be a great place to meet your buddies and make new friends!

Look forward to seeing you there!

Dana S. Livingston
    Chat Manager
    Town Hall
    Edmunds.coj
  • camelardcamelard Member Posts: 171
    Badulah:

Everyone is in Florida counting ballots :~)

Coolchick:

Cool KU-GRRR
  • lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    I haven't seen any Cougar posts for a couple of days, so here's something completely inane to fill the vacuum.

My black V6, the weasel, would run great if it ever got the chance. All that's out there is horrible traffic, broken glass and SUV's on my bumper. What good are 4-wheel discs if the thing behind you can't stop? I'm amazed I made it home Friday without getting hit.
  • fastback2fastback2 Member Posts: 55
    On the way to work this morning I saw a silver Cougar which had hit a deer. The collision took off the Cougar's left front fender, and the deer was laying in the median, obviously quite dead. Thankfully, it looks like the cougar protected its occupants enough so that everyone walked away from the accident.

Lefty,

Great job with the web site! I'm looking forward to seeing some of the pictures from our Lake Placid trip.
    Everyone walked but the deer ;-)

MMMMMM, venison steaks, chops, roast, stew, sausage, etc....

It'd serve it right, jumping out in front of an innocent Cougar that way

In the Chicago area, we've got deer all over the place. No hunting, no natural predators, and lots of forest preserve for them to overpopulate. In rutting season, you've really got to be careful when zipping through the woods to Grandmother's house.

Skip G.
    I bet a deer would do quite a bit of damage. I'm glad it looked as though everyone was okay. I know what you mean, Lmigliore, as far as not being able to "drive" the Cat. If it's not for any of those things you mentioned, then most of the time I'm driving in a 25-30mph zone with [non-permissible content removed]-cops patrolling like MAD!

It's still nice to be in though ...

Fastback, I'm working on the LP trip pics right now -- just for information gathering: Do most members prefer the way I set up the VA gathering, or would you all like to see all the pics, layed out in clickable thumbnail form? Just for future reference ...

Thanks for the feedback everyone, and Happy Cougaring!
This discussion has been closed.