Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cougar Support Group - Chats On...

Comments

• dgeminidgemini Member Posts: 161
    Overall my kitty has been relatively trouble free, but some of you may recally my throttle broke about 76 miles after the warranty expired.

Fortunately, I had an extended warranty, and I thank the throttle hang mod may have had something to do with it so I don't bring L/M. Also, as far as I know no other Cougar owner on any board I frequent has even had a broken throttle.

I will be seeing my lovely wife and driving my kitty in 2 days! Goodbye to Korea for 28 days!

later...
  • badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    Krnch:
    Yes Lefty and I are still maintaining the web site, but we haven't done anything to it in ages. Unfortunately our life styles have changed quite a bit over the last few months and we are not able to dedicate as much time to it as we would like.

I spoke to Lefty last night and we are planning to attend a few of Leo's races this coming season. There is a new track being constructed in Washington DC and Leo will be racing there sometime in July. Since Lefty lives only 20 minutes from there, we plan to attend. We will also be attending the Race at Lime Rock over Memorial Day weekend. Hopefully you and a few of the other members will be able to attend. I will be sure to post the plans in the Gatherings topic as well as on the web site.
  • gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    Is that where everybody's at?

If so, what are you buying your Cougar for Christmas?

Mine's getting new wiper blades and a fresh air cleaner (K&N repacement type,but don't tell)

Skip G
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    ...so it ain't gettin' squat.

:-D

Later,
    burnsmr4
    I'm home! I am with my wife, and I have driven my kitty! It is running great!

Hopefully I will continue to have a happy holiday season!

Later
    Hmmmmm.

No comment on how the wife is running?

Happy Holidays to all. I'll see you next year, as I'm pulling some spare vacation time to recover from all the excess food.

Skip G.
  • badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    Dgemini:
    WELCOME HOME!!! How was your trip? Let us know when you have some time.

Krnch:
    In reference to your question about the brake upgrade: Although the upgraded pads came with the wear sensor connection, the sensor is not functioning properly. AT first I was kind of annoyed with this glitch, but I quickly got over it. IMHO, the upgrade is worth this MINOR glitch. I plan to take the car to my friend's father's dealership sometime next month because it is idling a little rough. I will have him check the brake sensor as well. Maybe he can figure out how to remedy the problem.

The procedure for cleaning out the throttle body and MAF is as follows (As per Warren from Kurtz Kustom Motorsportz):
    1. Obtain a spray bottle of throttle body cleaner.
    2. Remove the MAF housing from the intake assembly
    3. Spray the MAF sensor (it is located inside the MAF housing. Be sure NOT TO TOUCH THE ACTUAL SENSOR WITH YOUR HAND OR ANY OTHER OBJECT) and let it air dry before re-installing it.
    4. While the engine is off, spray some of the cleaner in to the throttle body. If there is a lot of build up, you can use an old tooth brush to scrub it off. After the cleaning is done, wipe off the excess with a paper towel.
    5. While the engine is running, spray the cleaner in to the throttle body while revving the throttle. (The bottle of cleaner will have specific directions on it).

All:
    I hope all of you have a GREAT & SAFE HOLIDAY!!
    MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!
  • krnchkrnch Member Posts: 127
    Thanks, Badulah. I think I'll try cleaning the throttle body and MAF in the spring.

My Cougar is presently in the shop for an exhaust leak that developed over the holidays. I think it's leaking from a joint about half way down the length of the car (possibly where the cat-back exhaust systems join - although I don't have one). It actually sounds pretty cool right now, but I thought I should get it fixed before it gets worse.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and wish everyone a safe and happy 2002.

Cheers,

Andy.
  • ksuwildcat001ksuwildcat001 Member Posts: 97
    I think it is 90% Mercury's fault that the Cougar hasn't done as well since they rarely try and market the car. Everywhere I go everyone always asks me what it is and thinks it is a cool car. They are always Mercury can't sell what the public doesn't know exits.

I know others have had problems with their Cougars, but I haven't had a problem and love my Cougar. It is a joy to drive and I like it more and more each day.

David
  • lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    I think you called it correctly. The Cougar has not sold because it hasn't been sold. It's a good car, and with a little attention could have been a great car, but it's doomed by neglect. I mean, are there any other $18,000 cars that go 140 MPH? Is anyone who doesn't own one aware of this?
    The main reason that Mercury didn't push the Cougar as much as we'd have liked is strictly economic.

They make a lot more selling a big Marquis with all the whistles & bells than a Cougar.

The Cougar was really only a leader item with some youth appeal so that they could sell the big old people cars later on.

Hope everybody had a good holiday season!!!!

Skip G.
    Actually, I think it was the unlisted Dashboard Squeaks & Rattles (DSR) standard option on the '99 models that killed a majority of sales.

;-P

burnsmr4
  • lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    Mine didn't come with that; it's still tight as a drum. It did have a broken piece under the driver's seat but Sunnyvale Lincoln-Mercury was quite responsive in replacing it.
  • advocatusadvocatus Member Posts: 45
    That's right boys and girls.. the thing we've been fearing... Ford has closed the plant were the cougars are made.. that's it no more cougars... Hold on to your cats boys and girls.. they are now collector items. :-(

David
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...I read the sad news earlier today. :-(

Ford to Shut 5 Plants in Restructure

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • spartan93spartan93 Member Posts: 16
    They aren't closing the plant, just discontinuing the model.
  • advocatusadvocatus Member Posts: 45
    Plants to be closed are the Edison, N.J., assembly plant, the Ontario truck plant, the St. Louis assembly plant, Cleveland Aluminum, and Vulcan Forge in Dearborn.

...will it sell faster? I've been trying to sell mine for 3 months with only dumb inquiries from people getting cars for their kids.

"Duh...my kid don't know how to drive a manual. I need an automatic."

Maybe parents will now see the Cougar as...an investment in their child's future.

:-)

burnsmr4
    Well, we knew it was gonna happen. Like most cars, the Cougar as we know it will die, probably to be resurrected in a diffrerent form, just like the '97. Last go around for the big cat, but a new kitten in '99.

Historically, the Cougar has been through several re-formattings, from the Mustang companion piece to the big bird twin to our version.

Life and the car business just goes on. It will be interesting to see the next version though. Will it be tempting enough to make me a repeat customer for the first time in my life, or will I be looking for the most bang for the buck elsewhere?

Skip G.
    ...sell used for a high enough price so that I can afford payments on a Subaru? Before the January/February special Subaru financing disappears?

burnsmr4
    Check Edmunds for the wholsale price of your Cougar as equipped, check the WRX's invoice prices as you want it, check the actual cash value that you own on the Cougar, do some math, and you'll have a rough answer.

That's if the dealers are letting the Subaru go for invoice or slightly above. Demand might be pushing the prices up a little although not as bad as some of the Chrysler items were when released.

Good luck!

Skip G.
    ...I'm looking to buy a Forester -- not a WRX. :-(

My fiancée wants us to have a "family car" of sorts. She sat in the WRX for 2 minutes and said, "Uh...no." The Forester's the logical alternative -- especially with its high standard content. I can get a loaded S for about $23,000, if not a little better.

Anyway...y'all enjoy your collectibles. ;-p

Later,
    burnsmr4
  • jrp6977jrp6977 Member Posts: 87
    I haven't posted on here for quite a while for a good reason. I don't own a Cougar or any FMC product anymore. After over 20yrs of happy Ford ownership(2Mustangs, 2Tbirds, and 3Cougars) I have given up on Ford. Well, actually, they pushed me away. They have eliminated the type of cars I always purchased thinking that I would go for some stupid, bulky truck. The quality of their vehicles has tumbled. And they just don't seem to be able to come up with anything exciting and as well engineered as the imports. As much as I hated to buy a non Ford product and and import, I ended up buying a Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe(at least it was made in Ohio). I am very impressed with its quality and refinement and don't regret my purchase. I cross shopped a new Cougar but the numbers(hp, residuals, operating costs, etc) never fell in the Cougars favor.
    Why Ford continues to understyle, under power and under engineer its vehicles, I have no idea. The Cougar was a bright spot in many respects, but Ford refused to market it properly or give it the level of refinement it deserved.
    I have looked at what is happening at Ford and can see nothing but clouds on the horizon. The "new" Expedition and Navigator may have some engineering changes that are worth noting, but they are hardly different looking from the outside and the instruments are down right ugly. They just don't get. I could go on, but I'm sick of waiting for Ford to build vehicles the way I know they can.After 20yrs as a very very loyal customer, it would have been much easier to keep me than to get me back. But I frankly don't think Ford cares that much.
    Has anyone bought an extended warranty for their Cougar? From a Mercury dealership? If so, what did you pay, and what does your particular extended warranty cover? Mine's running out in about 2 weeks, and, unless I sell the vehicle, I'm going to have to buy one for sanity's sake.

Thanks,
    burnsmr4
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I just wanted to check in. My Cougar is actually doing well. I recently got the fan blower and rear hatch fixed and all seems well (for now). Now if only the rattles would disappear.

I hope everyone is doing fine.

Later..............
  • jlu2jlu2 Member Posts: 1
    right now i drive a 97 cougar and i saw a 99 cougar with 5900 miles on it. i was wondering what problems you all have with your cougars.
    Just returned recently from my 30 day trip to the states. Cougar was running great, my wife hasn't exactly kept it up to my level of cleanliness (OK, it looked like heck) but it still ran OK.

Badulah: Thanks for th warm welcome!

I had a nice trip, Christmas was great, managed to fix some marital problems I was having, and enjoyed a little North Carolina snow.

When I get back home I am going to have to put some more tires on the kitty, get it detailed, add some more chrome tips to my custom dual exhaust (my wife didn't keep them polished and now they have rusted)....

Anyway enough babbling...I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, and that you all have a great New Year!

I only have 4 months left in Korea!

Later:-)
    Did you show your intended the wagon version?

That would seem to be the best family option of all. Room enough for projected family members, and still keep dad happy.

Would you be happy with a big soccer mom van?

Skip G.
    ...for me, thanks.

Unfortunately, the WRX is just too expensive for me right now. I can't negotiate the price down on the WRX (sedan or wagon) like I can with the Forester. I also wanted the Forester's higher ground clearance. Yeah -- not as sporty as the WRX in any sense of the word. However, I actually found the Forester S to be really fun to toss around. Did 65mph during the test drive in a residential neighborhood with 25mph speed limits. The salesman wouldn't let me get out of the car until I drove it that hard.

Later,
    burnsmr4
  • camelardcamelard Member Posts: 171
    Hi all. I am trying to read through all of the posts to get up to date. Glad to see Badulah, Stageleft and Dgemini back in action.

More soon.
  • lakeaireslakeaires Member Posts: 2
    I also bought an extended warranty on my 2001 Cougar, purchased in September. Got the 75,000 mile verson, if I recall, price was about $650. I've bought two extended warranties before (one on a Ford, one on a GM). Both paid for themselves. Even though I did my own mechanical work when I was a teenager and through my twenties, the current level of sophistication of electronic systems in cars (and how cramped the engine compartments can be) leads me away from doing much more than routine maintenance myself.
    So far (7000 miles), I haven't had to use the regular or extended warranty, but time will tell.
  • lakeaireslakeaires Member Posts: 2
    I think Ford's decision to discontinue the Cougar is just another example of poor (or non-existent) marketing. After buying mine last September, I've gotten quite a few comments to the effect of, "wow - that's a sharp looking car... what is it?". The only real advertising I remember seeing is back in '99 when it was first introduced. Also a positive review (Car and Driver? Road and Track? ... don't remember).
    When Ford announced the models to be canned, the statement was, "The Cougar didn't catch on with it's targeted market - the young driver, whereas the Ford Focus is much more accepted."
    Well, duh! Ford's advertised the heck out of the Focus, where there's been nothing to speak of for the Cougar. To me, that's the primary reason one of the homeliest cars on the road has been so widely accepted while one of the sharpest looking cars around dies off. If you care what the car you drive looks like, I have absolutely NO idea why anyone would want a Focus! Geez.
    Well, maybe now this one will become a classic a little sooner.
    Folks,

If you have an ext. warranty on your vehicle, please share what your warranty covers/does not cover, as well as WHEN in your ownership cycle you bought the ext. warranty (time of sale or later). Also, please share whether or not you haggled the price of the warranty down at the time of purchase with the Mercury dealership.

Thank you,
    burnsmr4
    HELLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! (echo...echo....echo)
    The voice crying in the wilderness.

As a point for discussion, compare the marketing strategies of Volkswagen vs. Mercury.

Bug and Cougar arrive in the same model year.

After 4 years, Mercury will kill the Cougar as we know it.

After 4 years, Volkswagen is putting out a hot beetle (turbo 1.8l).

Mercury wouldn't even consider putting the SVT engine in our cars.

Volkswagen is making money, FOMOCO is loosing & closing plants.

Skip G.
    Yes..it's been very quiet here. :-(

And due to cut backs, most of the club chats will be no more after this week.

BUT, you are still very welcome to continue to hang out here!!!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    Gustafsc is right -- VW is a prime example of what Mercury is not -- a good marketer. Even while they're ramping up Mercedes-fighting luxury sedans like the Passat W8 and that W12 supercar, they're still managing to stuff more fun into their small cars.

Anyway -- my Cougar is on the way out the door. Paul Hogan will be visiting my driveway fairly soon. In the form of a Subaru Forester S.

No Christmas pickles allowed. ;-D

Later,
    burnsmr4
    Enjoy your new Subaru!!!! I will probably have my Cougar another year or so...no longer than that....
    Hi, Fish8!

I tried sending you e-mail to your profile address, but I remembered you weren't working there anymore. I've seen that building a lot on my way to the Pugmire Lincoln-Mercury body shop lately. They've been fixing a few warranty items that I don't trust with Southern Lincoln-Mercury.

While I'm thinkin' about it, how's the baby?

FYI to anyone seeking an extended warranty on their Cougar -- SHOP AROUND! I went to one dealership (Pugmire) and was quoted, say, $850 for an ExtraCARE warranty with low mileage. Went to my regular dealership (Southern) and was quoted, say $1100 for the same warranty and mileage. That's just a rough estimate of the difference in pricing.

What the hell?! I asked the woman if pricing was different between dealerships. She said, "Yes, because each dealership has a mark-up on the warranty." I watched her turn a $575 warranty (physically looked at her warranty pricing grid from FMC) into a $1000 warranty by adding a standard $425 mark-up! She did it for every other quoted warranty I asked about. Again, what the hell?!

Be careful with these extended warranties. Another example of FMC screwing around with its customers. Thank goodness I found a kid who wants to mod my Cougar.

Speaking of selling a Cougar, if you own a Cougar with a manual transmission, make sure you ADVERTISE THAT FACT VERY WELL if you choose to sell it. I'd say 75% of the calls I've had came from parents looking for a car for their teenager. Not once did they read the specs on the transmission in various ads I placed.

Anyway...my days of rants in the CSG are almost over (knock on wood -- my Cougar may, out of malice, just unscrew itself in my driveway and leave me with a pile of bolts, belts, filters, camshafts, and body panels before I finalize the sale). I need to find the Forester discussion to start ranting there. Talk to y'all later. Maybe much later. ;-)

Regards,
    burnsmr4
    Getting a Forrester, eh mate? You'll have to stop in the Subaru Crew. LOTS of owners there!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    I didn't factor in some costs associated with buying the Forester. Might have to settle for an Outback Sport, which is OK. Nearly the same specs for headroom/legroom. Only bad thing is the lack of cargo space. We'll see.

Thanks for the suggestion, Karen -- can you include the link here?

Later, all,
    burnsmr4
    Subaru Crew

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    Thanks for the warm reception!

Burnsmr4:

Enjoy your Subaru...If I wasn't looking to go more upmarket in my next purchase I might consider a Subaru. The WRX has all the right performance numbers, but it doesn't have the righat amount of luxury to go with it (Can anyone spell Acura 3.2 TL S?)

As for my Cougar, I don't plan on trading it in unless it begins to fall apart. Even then I will fix it. In order for this car to pay for itself I need to get at least two or three years out of it AFTER it is paid off. I plan on doing it.

PLUS, my Cougar is a 99. The first of a new model year. Even though mine was from a batch that wa made in early 99. I want to keep it for the novelty, and it is still a good looking car that will age very well.

Later all...

Dgeminii
    I have seen the new Hyundai Tiburon car here in Kora. Though it looks like a cross between a New Edge Cougar, and a new Mitsubishi Eclipse it is a good looking car, that has V6 power AND a dual exhaust!

Imagine how a dual exhaust would have helped kitty sales! It would have set it apart...heck, our cars have a hangar for a dual exhaust anyway!

It is really a good looking car, and it has a Ten year 100,000 mile warranty. If this car had been around when I was Cougar shopping I would have definitely given it a test drive! Especially the way I put miles on a car. My Cougar went through its 36,000 mile warranty in 20 months!
    My son is doing great. He is growing up very fast.

You are right, I now longer work at my previous employer, so that email address will not work.

I guess you will not be getting an extended warranty for your Cougar since you will be buying a Subaru. Are you trading in your Cougar or selling it on your own.

Did you look into the new Altima while you car shopped? just curious!
    ...and having them dashed against the rocks of Hell's misfortune.

[Hint: burnsmr4 did NOT get his Subaru.]

The kid I was dealing with couldn't secure a loan. Four hours -- FOUR HOURS -- from me getting a new Subaru, and my young buyer bails because he doesn't have enough credit history to secure a loan. Parents wouldn't co-sign either.

I couldn't be mad at the kid. He was trying so hard to buy the car on his own. I would've tried the same thing, although having a parental co-signer backup was always an option for me.

Thankfully, I have other interested buyers in the wings, one of which is serious. If, alas, this one falls through, I'll probably keep the Cougar until it's paid off. No extended warranty though. I didn't want to spend the money on it, particularly after I saw how dealerships marked it up. Another safety/security feature I'd have to negotiate on. FMC doesn't deserve my business if that's the way it runs its extended warranty program.

On a lighter note, before I heard from the kid, I test drove a Subaru Outback Sport -- the Outback version of the Impreza WRX wagon, minus the turbocharged engine. It feels a little cramped left and right, but headroom is great. I still prefer the Forester S with much greater cargo space, but that little Outback Sport is my backup plan.

Assuming my hopes aren't dashed against the rocks of...oh...screw it. You folks know the story.

[Long sigh.]

Later,
    burnsmr4

P.S. - I didn't look at the Nissan Altima, Fish8. I learned my first-run model year lesson with the Cougar. It was either C&D or AutoWeek that voiced serious concerns about build quality on the first run of the new model. No thanks.
    Good point about the first year run cars. By the time I get rid of my Cougar, the Mazda 6 will be out. That car looks sweet. Though, it will also be in its first year of production......I guess we learned our lesson with the '99 Cougars. The sad part about this is I ran into the same problem with my '97 Jeep Wrangler. That car was in the shop almost as much as my Cougar.
  • coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    Hey all! I'm coming up on the two-year mark with my Cougar. About 19,700 miles on it now -- no, I don't get around much -- and she's still purring right along.

Friend of mine just got the Forester wagon and likes it, but she adjusted her desires down (?) from a Honda minivan. Minivan longing....Must be something that kicks in with childbirth.

Looks like I'll have nothing to worry about in that regard!
    A major newspaper is looking to interview folks who learned how to drive stick in their adulthood, and either fell in love or hated it. Also welcome is any input on why people love to drive stick, and any unusual anecdotes about how you learned etc.

Hope to hear from you before Feb 22 via Town Hall/Talk to the Press or at jfallon@edmunds.com with your thoughts and contact information.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Folks,

It has been a pleasure getting to know some of you during my '99 Mercury Cougar V-6 ownership.

Alas, I found a buyer for my car this week. Tonight, my Cougar is in the hands of a GA teen heading off to a college. Definitely a better freshman ride than the hick-[non-permissible content removed], late-model, two-tone Ford Ranger which accompanied me to the halls of higher education.

I completed a deal on 2002 Subaru Forester S this afternoon. The S trim level features a two-tone finish. My car's primary color is red/burgundy. Not my first choice, but low equipment S trim level Foresters are hard to come by in Atlanta.

Just remember the good times we had. The standard equipment rattles. The Christmas pickle debacle. My Cougar's strange, inexplicable attraction to body shops. ;-P

Y'all be safe, take good care of your cars, and let me know when the "New Edge" Cougar finally becomes a collector's item. In the meantime, I'm going to learn about AWD and how to install child safety seats in my new "family" car. ;-)

Sincerely,
    burnsmr4