Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cougar Support Group - Chats On...

1333435363739»

Comments

• anxious_meanxious_me Member Posts: 3
    Found the re-call . Thanks so much . The number to Ford about this re-call and other is 1-800-392-3673. I so hope this works. ;)
  • olmnfxrolmnfxr Member Posts: 1
    Due to my baby nipping a truck in the rear end; we now need all of her front end. I'm especially interested in where to find the complete head light assemblies as my normal sources are out of them. Some one please help as we want to get back, "on the road again".
    THANKS
  • donny3donny3 Member Posts: 9
    I am new bear with me. my 1997 mercury cougar has a dead battery every morning
    the starter solenoid seems to kick in when i try to start but it doesn't turn over
    I pulled the starter it checked out fine. I would like to check out the starter relay but can't find it can you help ???

shortstuff
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Before you check anything like the starter relay, I'd try the simple thing first. Disconnect the battery and clean the terminals. It MIGHT be as simple as that.
    the only thing you mentioned that could improve your heating problem was having th radiator flushed. take a few more steps. is your fan belt worn out? is your water pump working? replace the thermostat! are your water hoses collapsing ? is the water passages clogged up? do you use the "proper antifreeze? yes anti freeze it is a coolant and engine protector.
    I did also charged the battery which helped the battery was week. it is fully charged now still the starter wont turn over it did check good when tested. i am still looking for the location of the relay. something is discharging the battery over night. stuck relay????
    IF YOU HAVEN'T GOTTEN THE ROOF MOTOR REPLACED A GOOD PLACED TO GET ONE IS THE AUTOMOTIVE JUNK YARDS, CHECK THE YELLOW PAGES UNDER USED AUTO PARTS. THEN YOU WILL NEED SOMEONE TO INSTALL IT.
    GOOD LUCK!
    I AM GUESSING FROM WHAT YOU HAVE SAID YOU STILL HAVE A SHORT IN THE SYSTEM TRY PULLING THE STEERING WHEEL SOMETHING (TURN SIGNAL MECHANISM?) SHORTS IN THE SYSTEM WILL DAMAGE THE ALTERNATOR -
    POWER SPIKES- ALSO CHECK OUT THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR IF IT HAS ONE. LOOK AT ALL ELECT. CONNECTORS. GOOD LUCK.
    IS YOUR FUEL PUMP WORKING? DO YOU HAVE IGNITION? IT'S NOT A GOOD IDEA BUT THE BEST I HAVE IS PULL ONE SPARK OUT CONNECT IT TO IT'S LEAD
    LAY IT ON THE ENGINE, THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD WILL DO, IT MUST BE GROUNDED TO THE ENGINE LET GO OF THE PLUG (PLEASE} HAVE SOMEONE
    CRANK THE ENGINE IF THE PLUG SPARKS IGNITION SYSTEM IS OK.
    to; pf-flyer thank you for replying. I feel like a idiot! I almost rebuilt my car looking for the start relay. no such animal, still haven't found it. but I don,t need it either, my problem was a dying battery, it went totally dead sitting on the floor. I miss read my battery charger to say the battery was fully charged instead of fully dead. my car runs fine with it's new battery.-------------thanks again!
  • richard7richard7 Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know if a 2000 Cougar has an interference engine? I just bought a used one with some miles on it and no one seems to know if the timing belt has ever been replaced since it has had multiple owners. Thanks
  • garym1jgarym1j Member Posts: 46
    Until I hear that I am not the most senior Cougar owner, I hold the record.

I bought a 99 Sport and loved it so much traded in for a 02 normal model 36 months later when the warranty expired. The O2 model warranty has now run out after I extended the warranty for 18 months. Never had any trouble with either model expect the air conditioner when out on the 99 model but was covered by warranty. I don't believe in extending warranties anymore.

The 2002 model has been trouble free at 38,500 miles.

Recently installed XM radio. I am going to get a window tint job next month ($150)
    This week I am trading the stock rims in for 5 spoke chrome rims (4 for $702). Figured I better make these improvements while I'm still young enough to enjoy.

Sometimes I back the car in the slightly declining driveway. It looks like it is travelling at 50 mph while parked. By the way, I have had zero accidents and zero moving traffic violations in 56 years of driving. Anyone any older have a similiar record?

If someone would explain to me how one includes a picture in this space, I would attempt to provide a picture of my Cougar. I see the Img option below but don't know the mechanics of actually attaching a picture. Thanks in advance if anyone wants to help.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Attaching an image is easy. What you need is to have the image stored somewhere online like at your personal website, one of those image hosting sites, or maybe easiest of all, on your CarSpace page. Then you click the IMG button and it inserts the start of the HTML you need. Type in the URL of where your pic is hosted, and click the IMG button again to finish up the HTML and bingo, you have a pic in a post like this

Sort of a retro pic for our senior Cougar owner! :P

If you haven't set up your CarSpace page yet, it's really easy to do. Just click on that My CarSpace link near the top left of this page and you should be able to run through the setup very quick and easy. Then you can create photo albums to post your pics in, and maybe even start a blog if the mood strikes you.

If you have ANY questions about CarSpace, feel free to click on my username and pop me an email. That's part of why I'm here!
  • anxious_meanxious_me Member Posts: 3
    You are a GOD amoung Cougar owners......... :)
    Thankyou! (I think). Here is my Cougar. Isn't it nice looking?

imageJPG/page/photo.html#pic
  • mary50mary50 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '97 Cougar that "ran like [non-permissible content removed]". I did have the problem with hitting the gas and no power. I like PepBoys for my car repairs. Replace the air filter (mine was full of water), replace the fuel filter, replace the spark plugs and spark plug wires. The gas is not getting through the fuel line.
    I am a little confused! your title says 93 cougar ,but your text says 97 which is it?
    Now how did water get in the air filter? did you drive through a puddle of water?
    A deep puddle??????? if so get your oil and oil filter changed quick! did the parts you changed fix your problem? if not you need to check you Positive crankcase ventilation valve (PCV) and do a Fuel pressure check, your fuel pump maybe defective. can you hear the fuel pump when you turn you key to the ON position (not start) if not your pump is dead. or maybe someone has put something in your gas tank to clog it up. In any case you will have to have the gas tank pulled. ....... Write back I would like to know more....... good luck.
  • moore4leahmoore4leah Member Posts: 2
    I'm new so please bear with me.I bought this car about 2 weeks ago. So far I love it but...... my trunk release button on the remote and the button inside my car wont open the trunk. They key I have does not open the trunk. Ive been using the emergency pull to open the trunk. The cable broke. I need to replace it but I cant find where it was connected. Could someone please help me. I need a diagram showing how it works and/or where the cable is connected so I can fix it. i NEED my trunk to open. Thanks so much in advance Leah
  • 99redcougar99redcougar Member Posts: 1
    I had this problem. It was caused by deterioration of front lower control arm bushings on both sides. The fix was to replace the two lower control arms.
  • moore4leahmoore4leah Member Posts: 2
    I need to check my spark plugs in my 2001 mercury cougar. Its not running right and I wanna make sure the plugs are good.... does anyone know where i can find a diagram for the plugs? thanks.. moore4leah@yahoo.com PLEASE HELP ME!!! I have never rec'd an answer from this site.....please help me. If there is a mechanic (local) I NEED one desperately. Brooksville Florida...off Cortez in Brookridge. Thank you and I appreciate any help with this. Leah :(:(
  • dscdad77dscdad77 Member Posts: 1
    I am having an apparent coolant problem with my wife's 2000 cougar and as I read the drivers handbook it really seems to emphacize that it needs some special coolant and to NOT mix the green anti freeze with it. is there anything but green anti freeze? Guess I am a little out of date?
  • pshortpshort Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 Cougar makes a whoo whoo whoo sound and will try and stall when I put in park. It's been doing this for quite some time. Just a strange noise. When I get up to about 65+, I don't usually hear the sound. I've had the injectors cleaned out, etc. Just wondering if anyone has the same problem.
    Tks
  • lawlor_brawlerlawlor_brawler Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

I am looking to buy a '99 Mercury Cougar V6 with about 80,000 kms on it. As Cougar owners, i expect you will best know the problems associated with the car. I just want to know what i should look out for when i go to test drive the car. For example i have been doing a lot of reading on other forums and i know the stereos are problematic, as are the sunroofs... Are there other things i should look for that will cause future problems?

Thanks.
  • aussieechoaussieecho Member Posts: 22
    2000 cougar started making grinding noises when utilizing the remote trunk opener. Now the lid will close but keeps popping open. the small lever in the lock mechanism that seems to block the closer hook. Tried pulling the trunk release, clicking the remote, changing the remote battery, using the key. None will allow the lid to close completely . Any new approaches ?">
  • pshortpshort Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, no problem like that on my end. Car just makes a constant noise and tries to stall when I stop and sometimes cannot get any power for excelleration.
    Tks
  • dcougar1123dcougar1123 Member Posts: 1
    hello everyone i have purchased one of these beautiful machines and it has broken down on me. i took a look under the hood and found out the previous owner had put the wrong battery in the car... just my luck haha i would love to fix it however when i put the right battery in it wont start still it cranks but wont start. could the wrong battery have caused other problems?
  • jeremy_817jeremy_817 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 99 Mercury 2.5 Liter Cougar. (Should've done my research first.) Half the time I'd go to start it and the starter would grind 2-3 times before it started. As of late, it would just die on me. I learned that all I had to do was wiggle the 2 connections on the positive battery terminal and it would start right up. Though the head lights, and dash lights would flicker. Well, last week the battery light came on, (for the first time.) I drove it till it wouldn't even turn over. It was obvious the terminals and positive cable needed replaced. I changed the positive battery cable, 175 amp fuse that sits between the solenoid and the Starter, and just bought a new battery. It started and ran, just the damn battery light was still on, and it wouldn't keep a charge. I went to PEP-BOYS for a voltage reading on the alternator, and battery. He did it twice, and both times he said that both were bueno. The only thing he says that popped up was something to do with my heater, or the heating. I thought about it a lil bit, & figured it was probably an electrical issue causing all this. Well I decided to trace ground wires to see if that what was killing my car. OMG, I don't see how the damn thing ran at all, looking underneath it. I found wires coming from my exhaust that were burnt in half, tied, and stuffed in the engine, (Later learned they were o2 sensors) Wires from the firewall, that were to the fog lights, side lights, head lights, etc. were just cut and taped. Only the high beams, blinkers, and running lights were connected. Quite a few ground wires looked old, and needed replaced, or moved to a cleaner spot. So I did just that. In the process I snapped what I believe to be a vacuum hose. I also noticed that the solenoid looks as if its in major oxidation mode. I also replaced fuse #13 (I believe is engine management,) and I took out the alarm fuse to replace the fried lighter fuse. I then rechecked all my connections, and hooked the battery back up. FML!!! Go figure, it wouldn't even turn over. All my interior lights, radio, & head lights were on, and my battery read 12.5 V. What is going on here?
    After researching it a lil bit I concluded that it could be a number of things. Not to mention the new Positive battery cable has a pigtail spliced with the terminal. Curious about that truth be told. Which reason out of the 10 could cause the car to die, and not even turn over.
    Please help...
    Dear Jeremy,

That is one of they saddest car stories that I've ever read. I am not an electrical person so I feel your pain. I have a 2002 Cougar which has caused no trouble whatsoever. But it is a Florida car never in harsh weather extremes, i.e., salt and snow free roads.

Besides being a hard working shade tree mechanic, you write very well. If your experiences with your Couger weren't so frustrating for you, your discription of the myriad of problems is actually kind of funny in perverted sort of way.

Seriously, I can only offer on sympathy for your Cougar problems. Suggest you sell the car.

Garym1j
  • bokenkbtbokenkbt Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 Toyota Avalon was totaled earlier this week; I've had the car since I was 16 and am now 22. I had planned on keeping the Avalon for another year and then buying something new next winter after graduation but that changed this week. I found a 2006 A4 2.0T Quattro for $8,995 and it has 123,000 miles on it. Carfax shows only 1 owner and no accidents. Many things have been replaced within the past 50,00 miles including; timing belt, water pump, all four brakes, tensioner, idler, and tires. I think its beautiful and want it a lot and only plan on keeping it for about 2 years. My dad is saying no because he says the maintenance is pricey including $100 oil changes..thoughts? Also, how are they in the snow? I live in Cincinnati and our winters are never predictable.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Unless you have deep pockets, I would stay away from the Audi. In addition to the high repair costs, prior owners tend to drive these cars very hard. Good luck.