Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cougar Support Group - Chats On...

Comments

• badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    Hopefully mine will be one of those that DO NOT need any work. The less they fool with my car, the happier I am.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I actually just got a call from my advisor and he siad that they did have to replace some parts on one car so far. They said the procedure is that when the car is required to have parts replaced a call is made to Ford and they are sent and delivered within 2 days. I hope I don't have to take my car back a second time. we'll see!!
    All:
    CSG Chat Tonight From 7-8pm EST!! If you get a chance, stop in and join us for awhile.
    Dang!!!! I just missed the chat!! Sorry all!!
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318

Please detail recall notices:

Can someone -- let's say...Badulah -- please describe, in detail each recall notice that's been sent out in recent days? As usual, I'm not getting a thing in the mail because the dealership never set my address up correctly to begin with when they registered the vehicle. Of course, my whole friggin' vehicle is a rolling recall.

Explain this springy noise:

As of this cold morning in Atlanta, my clutch has a new sound to it, in addition to the click that my dealership has never "reproduced." When I push in the clutch, I get a sound like a bed spring -- an old bed spring. SPROING! is the only way I can describe it. Any suggestions on what it might be?

Have a great hump-day!

(not meant as a sexual reference in any way, shape, or form)
    I would advise that you take you car to the dealer(again) and have them research the recalls.

You can also go to www.mercuryvehicles.com and go to the owners section. You can register your VIN # and they can tell you all the recalls that affect your car.

I got my car looked at this morning for the latest recall and it was not affected.
  • sdmartin4sdmartin4 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to all who responded to my questions as a prospective Cougar owner. Would anyone like to respond to message #849? Is this just one person's view?
    burnsmr4:
    I agree with Fish8. You should either go to your local dealership or register your car on the Mercury web site to get the latest recall data. I don't mean to shrug your request off, but I might not be able to acquire all the recall notices that specifically apply to your vehicle. It is apparent that some of these recalls effect some of our cars while not effecting all of them.

sdmartin4:
    Post #849 unfortunately has some valid points. First off, alot of us are very very upset with ford for cutting the high performance Cougar project (AKA the Cougar-S) and then introducing the high performance Focus project (AKA the Focus SVT). We also have issues with Ford for a number of other things they did or didn't do to promote the Cougar. Their lack of advertisement for this car has been a sore subject for well over 2 years.

As far as the reliability issues are concerned: The early 1999 Cougars had a number of bugs that have been worked out in the more recent models (late 2000 and all 2001 models). Unfortunately some of us who own earlier models are still experiencing problems and are still having to deal with service issues.

As I said, newer models seem to be much more reliable. I would still recommend a Cougar to someone looking for a decent Sports Coupe in this price range. For the money, it is still the best bang for the buck in this segment of the market.
  • gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    Amen from the choir Brother Badulah!!!!!!

By the way, I just got a flyer from DELLERGO Iimport/Export, a die cast car outfit listing both 1/18 & 1/43rd scale Cougars. $29 & $39 respectively. I've got the big one, and it's a nice model.
    Of course, it's the Euro/Ford version, but, that's all that there is out there.

You can e-mail: tomkassler@worldnet.att.net, if anybodie's interested.

Now, if I can just figure out how to take it apart without doing any damage, I can change it from Blue to Ash Gold. Just like mine. First car I've ever owned that I could get a miniature of.

Skip G.
    I was at my dealer yesterday taking care of the most recent recall. While looking over the new '01 Cougars a salesman comes up to me and asks if I have any questions. I tell him my car is in for service and I'm just looking at the differences between my '99 and a new '01. We start taking and he asks if I'm interested in a new '01 Cougar. I say no, but told him I was disappointed that the S was cancelled. He then states " If your interested in an S he will contact Mercury and order one". I inquired on there availablity and he said he had not heard of there cancellation. But he told me that id I was really interested he would order one. Though I'm really not shocked my this conversation, I am really shocked that I seem to know more about the Cougar than he did. I bet he knew a hell of alot about the Grand Marquis!!!
    I also have the large model Cougar on my desk at work. I t very cool and gets lots of attention!!
    I have heard numerous stories about the Cougar-S. From what I can gather, dealerships are the last to be informed, if they are even informed at all. I have had several phone conversations with my contacts at FMC about the "S". According to them, the "S" is officially dead. It was never released and was never mass produced. Several prototype/test platforms were built, but they are still in the hands of FMC and can not be sold to the public. They will actually have to crush these cars (a tear rolls down Badulah's cheek at the sad sad thought of this) once they are finished with them.

Anyone who tells you they have an "S" or can order an "S" is either misinformed or is a flat out liar. It never existed, but it will be missed.
    I'm not sure the salesman was lying, just uninformed. I am sure he would gladly substitute another if given the opportunity.
    I never meant to imply that he was lying. I didn't mean to come off in a harsh manner. Sorry about that.

Most of the time the dealerships are just misinformed. Although there are always a few exceptions to the rule.
  • benisembenisem Member Posts: 30
    While I was certainly looking forward to seeing an "S" and test driving an "S", it can not be done. While it is very sad that this will likely lead to the end of the new edge Cougar age, i am a bit sick of reading everyone's whining. If I were to come to this site trying to research a new Cougar, I can tell you now as an outsider looking in, I would pass. Perhaps a new topic could be created for "S" issues and mourning.

Sorry just had to let that steam out.
    -benisem

The S question: I have a story which will, quite obviously, paint my impression of competence of salespeople at Mercury dealerships.

The morning I had come into the dealership to purchase a used Cougar at a discount, my salesperson let some other guy start selling it to a woman who came in before me. So...he offered to give me a brand new one (minus the ATX) at the same discounted price. We're talking less than $16,000 for a brand new car with 22 miles on it vs. a used one with an ATX and 6,000+ miles. I was sold. Then...the lady walked out on her deal.

What did the salesperson do? Came right back to the table not 5 minutes after making me the offer on the new car and said, and I nearly quote, "Guess what! We're going to get you into that used car after all. Let me get the paperwork started." I laughed, gathered my umbrella, and walked out of the dealership. Later, when I told the sales manager of the "deal" I'd been offered on the new car, he shook his head and said, "I can't believe he did that. That was dumb, wasn't it? You can have the new car at the price he offered."

They're just not bright at all, and they blame Ford for their misinformation as much as Ford blames them for not paying attention. I think both parties are at fault. That's why you have to know your stuff when you walk in the door and just demand test drive keys and/or your price on a new car.

Did get my recall notice: Badulah and Fish8 -- I just got a recall notice in the mail yesterday for the battery cable problem. 'ppreciate your recommendations nonetheless.

Sdmartin4: I would have to agree with the evaluation of the Cougar's reliability and Ford's commitment to the car as stated by lmigliore. The '99 model year was a terribly buggy vehicle, and I'm not convinced, after reading comments in this conference, that the new cars are too much improved. Everyone here, including myself, will tell you that the car is very stylish and a great value. However, you must decide on whether or not the time/cost investment you'll make at the dealership for silly build quality problems/recalls is worth it or not.

Well said Burns!!
  • stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    Okay, okay ... 71 posts later and I'm all caught up! LOL!

Yikes, that is scary though isn't it? Working too much to be able to visit even for a moment to post in perhaps the greatest community in the world! Shame on me ... tisk, tisk.

So now that that's out of the way, I thought I'd post my replies to some of the questions that I've just read in the past 71 posts: (in case I miss one, just let me know)

I've been averaging for almost two years now (July 10th) about 19.5 mpg. Not bad for a V6 and a lead foot. :-)

Also, I think that the Cougar is getting better with age. I know I've gone back and forth on this one before (see many, many previous posts), but the darn-diggity-yarn Firestones are impressing me again. They've still got Lincoln's hair covered on the penny, and in the amount of rain we got today in Northern Virginia the traction control didn't even come on, and I thought I made some maneuvers that would have certainly engaged the system. That said, the Firestones are at ~31,someodd thousand miles and they are least holding up as good as they've been since 20K. Maybe they've gone through their break-in period and it just took a while. I've got about 35psi in each and it's really nice to feel the road through the pedals and wheel. It gives the car a sporty feel, and with the weight I know the Cat has, it still remains nimble and comfortable to ride in.

I think I've mentioned this before, and that is the rattle that's developed on the plastic part behind the headlight switch. If I'm driving along and it starts to rattle, I can push on it to make it stop. Mind you, this is after almost two years of harsh, stop-and-go, and construction roads that I know the car should be able to go over fast (they test them this way, over railroad ties and stuff like that to make sure the suspension can hold up to extreme real-world condtions) and many, many other road conditions that would drive the nearest modern Chevy to the scrapyard (the Corvette's not a Chevy, silly! - it's a CORVETTE!)

Anyway, I also failed to mention that I was involved in a collision in my beloved Cat. Not hard enough to do anything but bruise my soul, and not hard enough to knock the dog off the passenger seat. I was in dead-stop traffic, due to an accident, and was creeping and stopping in the right hand on the freeway (not a very appropriate name, if you ask me). And I heard a honk behind me. I instinctively looked to my rear-view and saw two headlights: of different vehicles! They were competing for the same physical space and began volleying the gas/brake combo to outdo one another. The next thing I know is THUD. I got rearended by one of the people who should have been hitting each other. This is a sad statement in society to my eyes, but if you think about it, it's been true for a while now. Two parties inadvertently involved a third into a brutal fore' into what I can only describe as "selfishness". Oh well. I'm fine and it's totally dude's fault, so I should get my deductable back soon. It's almost $400 worth of damage and all that's visible is the holes left from his license plate. The other person was in too much of a hurry in dead-stop traffic to even stop, and when I asked her to pull over her reply was, "I'm in a hurry, and besides, I wasn't involved." I told her she was a witness and a cause and she offered to give me her phone number and that's the best she could do. Sad, isn't it?

So I've got to make an appointment with my dealer to have the work done to fix the bumper and whatever else may be damaged, and will keep you all informed of the progress.

In response to all the questions about the car and whether or not you should buy one: Go get one! :-) We would love to have you as "official" members, and would love to have more representation on the road against the venerable "H"-badged wondercar.

Whew! That was two handfulls of keyboard there, wasn't it? Oh well, until next time: Happy Cougaring!

(P.S., the CSG chats are really fun to be in, and we do actually talk about some of the things mentioned before a certain percentage of the time. And we love (or try to love) our Cougars.
    Lefty:
    Sorry to hear about your accident, but I'm glad no one was hurt. Hopefully the dealership will do a good job repairing the damage.

As far as Firestone tires go, I'm sorry, but I can't agree with you on this one. After using the Dunlops for several thousand miles, I would never go back to Firestones.
  • krnchkrnch Member Posts: 127
    Sorry to hear about the scuff on your cat. I would be really p.o'ed at the whole way it came about.

Other than your accident, it was nice to read your post which, as usual, was very positive sounding. It's really been getting me down reading the CSG posts of late.

Take care all and happy Cougaring!
    Thanks guys, and I just got through checking Mercury's Owner Connection (www.ownerconnection.com) and my Cougar is NOT affected by any recalls. Funny that mine was built in June of 1998, too. I thought I'd be included in all of the early recalls, but honestly the only one I ever got was the replacement page for my owner's manual about not putting a live body in the trunk (and the subsequent years had a release in the hatch to prevent someone from getting stuck in there) - go figure! LOL!

Take care everyone, and have a great weekend! Happy Cougaring!
  • jdbishopjdbishop Member Posts: 36
    Stageleft

My Owner Connection site doesn't list the new recall either; however, I got the letter from Lincoln Mercury. The MSN Car Point site shows that this recall as well as a recall for the Brake Light Switch affect the 99's. I don't trust the Owner Connection site.

I have to agree with jdbishop -- the Owner Connection website is suspect. I received a notice in the mail for the battery recall. This would make either the second or third recall I've received for my '99 Cougar V-6 (manufactured in Fall 1998). I have yet to see a single recall applicable to my vehicle appear on the Owner Connection website.

This is another sad example of the failed connection between a major pre-existing manufacturer and its online customer service strategies. There's more marketing of oil changes and loan incentives on the website than there is real, tangible, useful customer care information.

If you're in business school, these sorts of e-commerce faux pas will appear regularly in your readings. If you haven't seen this one already in a business case, I'd suggest using the Owner Connection joke in your graduate theses.

Why not? It'd be about the only thing the website's good for.

Dang. But other than that ... [sheepish grin]

I got two recalls on Saturday. :-)

I will have to get them checked out when I get the car into the shop for the bumper. Oh well, that's what I get I suppose for speaking before I know any better.

On a positive note, the Cat's got to be in the shop for a day or so to get the bumper replaced, and I'll have them perform the recalls when it's in. Wierd correlation: I don't think I'm inconvenienced by the recall notices because I'm not going there specifically for that - I was inconvenienced by other people. Anyway, I'll probably forget about them after they're repaired because the car didn't burst into flames by now, and the taillamps haven't blown out of their sockets either.

Take care everyone, and Happy Cougaring!
  • smc7smc7 Member Posts: 12
    I'm now a proud new owner of a bouncy baby Cougar. She's a 2001 V6, MTX, Sport and Convenience groups, with all the bells and whistles. She's a lovely dark grey metallic.

Actually, she's on order so I'm not officially an owner yet. But 4 weeks and she's mine.

smc7
    SMC7:
    CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW PURCHASE AND WELCOME TO THE CSG!! You have come to the right place for Cougar information!!

Hopefully the next 4 weeks will fly by and you will have your Cat before you know it!
  • lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    Checked into the Cougar Support Group this evening as is my wont and didn't find anyone here. Is everybody out driving? Is interest in Cougars waning?

The weasel has been well-behaved since the last time it wouldn't start; that may be because I threatened it that the next time would be the last.
    SMC7: Congrats on your new car purchase!!

I got back from my trip to Florida yesterday(Sat) and all I can say is I'm not a happy camper!!!!
    My A/C gave out both on the way down and on the way back from Florida. This is about the 5th+/- time this has happened. The bad part about this is, the AC will slowly stop working after about 1-2 hours of operation while driving at highway speeds. The fan also starts to make a weird noise that comes from the passenger floor panel. The bad part is when I let the car cool down or stop for the evening and get back in the car the AC will work normal. The dealer has been unable to fix the problem(the last 2 times) because, they say "we are unable to duplicate the problem". Sound familiar??? The first 2 times the replaced the o-rings once and something else the second time( I can't remember).

I will bring in my car tomorrow(Mon) and talk to the service manager to see what can be done to fix this problem once and for all. Along with the AC problem, I will have them look at a couple of new rattles that have popped up in my dash(surprise!!) and it appears that some of my clearcoat is peeling on my front hood. Lastly, I am hearing a chirping noise coming from somewhere in my car. Even my wife asked if I had a bird in the car!!!! I'M NOT LAUGHING!!!! It's a good thing I was bringing my car in for an oil change anyways!!! Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated!!! I also hope they give me a loaner!!!

I am starting to regret buying this car. I really love this cars styling, but it appears to me that they rushed the engineering on the '99 models just to get them into production!! Just my opinion!!

Sorry for the rant!!
  • jdbishopjdbishop Member Posts: 36
    Sounds like the A/C is freezing up. The unit will freeze and not work and then after the unit is turned off and the ice melts/thaws out the A/C will work again. I don't know if this is possible on the new type air conditioners, but this used to be a fairly common problem.
    I just got a call from the dealer and they couldn't duplicate the AC problem. I guess I won't be able to take my car on long distance trips. I'll use it to just putt around town. Pretty sad!!!
  • advocatusadvocatus Member Posts: 45
    I'm considering buying a used Red Cougar, 20-30k miles for 13-14k dollars. The dealer didn't know the specifics(yadda yadda). It is being sold by Enterprise Car Sales, the people who run Enterprise Car Rental. My housemate said be warned buying a rental car because people "bag" the engine. It's full loaded V6, moonroof etc. I really prefer the silver, but I am on a limited budget. Should I join the club? My main question is, I'm 6'2.. will I fit in the cougar? I haven't been able to test drive yet.

Thanks
  • lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    I doubt if the engine on a rental Cougar suffers. It's almost certainly a V6 automatic, so the transmission controls the revs. Besides, the V6 will spin way faster than the computer lets it. At least they change the oil regularly on rentals.

As far as fitting in the car, take yourself to a Mercury dealer and sit in one with a moonroof. Should be the same thing.
    As Imiglore stated, generally speaking rentals are automatics. The Cougar V6 is rev limited to an RPM around 6250, but without computer controls the Duratech can rev up to 7500rpms without a problem. I would be more concerned with general fit and finish issues. Be sure to look the car over with a microscope. Make sure the interior and exterior have been well cared for.

Just my $0.02!!
    Fish8:
    That is pretty sad. Someone has got to be able to help you with this issue. What did the service manager say? What was your response to his answer?
    The service mgr said there is really nothing they can do until they are able to duplicate the problem. He said they can't really start replacing parts do to warranty issues. He said he would call an engineer at Ford to see if they have ever run into something like this before. I doubt I will ever hear from him again. The Svc Mgr also said to bring the car in immediately when and if this occurs again so they can identify what the problem is. He ran the car on the highway for about 50 miles and then let it sit for 45 minutes w/ the AC on high and the AC never acted up.

I told him I was getting very frustrated with the entire situation and it is pretty sad that I can't take my car on a long trip unless I want to deal with the AC acting up. He agreed and said they will be more than happy to fix it(whether in or out of warranty) when the problem can be identified.

I guess I will just use the AC as normal and hope it either never acts up again or it stops working for good, so they can find the problem. Now, my car is in the body shop at the dealer to get the clear coat peeling taken care of(under warranty).
    First off...I feel your pain and angst, Fish8. I should've bitten the bullet and waited on getting a new car. Hindsight is 20/20...

Second thing -- how can you tell if your car was affected by the battery recall? I took the vehicle in for the recall service this morning, and an hour later, they drove it around front and sent me on my way.

Couldn't find the service rep who handled the repair. There are no parts listed under the recall section of my bill -- perhaps that says enough. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    burnsmr
    burnsmr4: Did you bring your car in specifically for the recall? I brought mine in and they said it was not affected. It took only 30-45 minutes to get my car back. I would call them and ask what was done or not done.
    I brought the car in for the recall service and an oil change (since I was there). I know that he put the car up on the lift a second time to check the electrical wiring routing underneath the car, which was for the recall.

Frankly, if they did it -- fine. If they didn't -- also fine. I'll see the dealership owner in court if the car's electrical system shorts out and burns me (or most of me, if I plan to see them in court) alive :-)

Later,
    burnsmr
    This is just automotive ignorance... but if I see the exterior is chipped up or otherwise woren, can I ask them to fix it before I buy it. Is this likely to happen? Would it be cheaper to buy a "autozone" paint fix up kit? I am purchasing my first "new" car... since my 88 Cavy died on me. RIP. Any suggestions/help is greatly appricated.
  • gocatzgocatz Member Posts: 12
    I'm selling my loaded '99 for about the same price/miles range. I'm 6'2.5", and fit OK in the Cougar. If I had big hair, it'd might touch, but I don't, so it's OK.

As for the paint, if it is laser red, it's a tri-coat process, which is difficult to touch up. Very small dings don't look too bad, anything bigger is more noticeable.

Just my 2 cents.
    I'm hope I am not breaking any of the rules of the FAQ, however I found a web site that has good recall and official maintainance concerns. www.icarumba.com. I do not mean to advertise this web site, I just mean to share a good site I found. If you put in what year cougar it very quickly spits out a whole load of what seems to be useful information.

Thanks for all your opinions on my used Cougar. I might have come a across a factory used cougar which would be a better deal.

If I broke any rules by posting another web site please remove this post, or tell me to.
    advocates:
    You haven't broken any rules. We appreciate when people post useful information. If you were posting spam, that would be a different story.

Anyway......

I seriously doubt they would be willing to touch up any dings currently in the car. If necessary, you could ask, but don't expect a positive response. In my opinion, I would check out both Cougars and see which one you prefer. Your going to be spending quite a bit of your hard earned money, so you may as well spend it on something you really like. Two quick questions, have you considered buying a manual transmission (MTX) V6 Cougar? Are both cars automatics?
  • gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    Good shot!!!!! Looks to be a very handy site. Has more lists for the tech bulletins than I've ever seen, although the recall list isn't up to date as far as the recent electrical notice is concerned.

Skip G.
  • dgeminidgemini Member Posts: 161
    I have' posted in a while, hope everyone is OK.My MintMintedSAeet Pads and AutoAuto specialtyors I purchased from SP MSCoMotor sportse performed great after 5,000 miles.I haven't noticed any drastic increase in my breaking ability, however the brake dust has been drastically reduced.If you want to get rid of our car's the brake dust problem get these pads! The rotors also don't rust nearly as bad. The ony downsideon down sides sqeak now whsqueakcome to a slow stop, however I will deal with squealing brakes over the brake dust anyday,
    No offense, degemini, but it was a little hard to figure out what you were typing. I got brake dust and squeaking and new pads, but some of the details were lost. Looks like you had a bad keyboard or something. Can you repost?
  • krnchkrnch Member Posts: 127
    I had my car in for its scheduled 40000 km (25000 mi) maintenance. They replaced the pollen filter as part of this and recommended a few extra things that "would be a good idea". One of these was a fuel injector purge. Has anyone ever had one of these. It was the first I had heard of it (aside from pouring fuel injector cleaner into the gas tank). I went ahead and let them do it because I had a problem with some bad gas a few months ago. I couldn't help wondering if I was getting suckered though.
    Never heard of it. Sorry.
  • harbachjharbachj Member Posts: 51
    burnsmr4: I am sure what they did was perform a fuel injector cleaning. Basically they remove the gas line from the fuel tank at the engine and connect up a cleaning solution (basically a more concentrated version of what you can add to the fuel tank) and flush the injectors. It does a much better job than anything you add to the fuel tank. If your injectors had been fouled by bad gas, they did the right thing.
  • cougar2212cougar2212 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 95 XR-7 Cougar. It has a V-8, I have had just recently problems with my car when I press the gas, my car hestiates for a secodn then it takes off, but when it does take off it kinda jerks, this all has started since I got gas. I have tried burning the other gas out, I was told to put an injector cleaning in the gas tank. Then keep car filled up with high octane unleaded? What is this fuel injector cleaning that you were talking about? Has anyone else had this problem?