Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70

Comments

• Got the car back in the afternoon and took it out for a road-test last night to see if the headlamps would be more effective. Could tell something was different, since as I backed out of the garage, the lights reflected on a higher section of the wall. Good sign. Took the car out on the freeway and everything was fine. The lamps lit up the road farther ahead than before and I no longer had that sensation that had me wondering what was coming up ahead. Problem solved!
  • Our dealer raised our xenon lamps "ten degrees," which seems to be enough to make a difference (actually 10 deg, sounds like a lot if 90 deg is horizontal and 0 deg is vertical).

Will let you know if we still have problems...
  • We've just about finished our break-in and got our first oil change. We opted for the Catrol psuedo-synthetic (unfortunately the best the dealer offered).

I'm curious if anyone has started changing their own oil yet? Is there a reset light, similar to BMW?

Also does anyone know what type of lubricant is in the manual trans? I'm not going to change it for a while, but I eventually want to switch everyting over to synthetics to improve fuel economy and protect the lubricated parts better... ;)
  • You have a manual, too? I thought I was the only one.....had to special order the car since finding a stick in the States is not easy.
  • Yup we have a manual and love it 100%. Even in traffic, the clutch is so smooth it isn't a problem...

I was shocked when we had trouble finding a BMW with a manual, so I wasn't too surprised when it was even harder to find a Volvo with a manual.... but I was disappointed of course because it is just the opposite in Europe!! :cry:
  • bobc70bobc70 Posts: 10
    I have a 1999 C70 coupe, and it's been great to me so far, I have about 78K miles on it and the dealer is telling me I have to replace the timing belt , when I questioned them that the owner manual only required the timing belt to be changed at 105K and does not mention anything about the number of years, they told me that since it's been more than 6 years then the timing belt should be changed, are they correct? or are they just trying to find something to do on the car? they gave me a quote for about $700 for the work, which is ok if I have to do it but don't want to do it if it not required till 105K.
    thanks
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,536
    I agree that a '99 should have had it done by now. I know I read the number of years somewhere, but I'm not sure where. I believe on volvospeed. In any case, I think it is relatively cheap insurance to just do it. No point in risking an engine rebuild/replacement.

I'm unsure about the price since I did it on my S70 myself.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

thank you for your input.
  • i have a 1998 C70 Coupe,

ive been having a problem starting the car over the last few weeks.
    i start it but the RPM only goes up to 300-500 and then drops to Zero.

i had it serviced twice by 2 different garages that specialize in Volvos and both times was disappointed as the problem returned a day or two after repair.

i called the garage today, he claims that its not the immobilizer, nor the key.....
    they already changed the spark plugs, the gas filter, the temperature sensor (since the fan comes on for 2 minutes after i turn off the car) and the onboard COMPUTER was reset.....

none of this has proved to be useful,......

anyone had a similar problem or can offer a solution ?

thanks in advance.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Have they checked the Mass Airflow Sensor?
    is the check engine light on?

• yes, the light came on after they fixed it the last time and when i called the garage and we tried to trouble shoot on the phone, i recall he mentioned that it may be the Mass Air......

i hope they fix it up good this time :mad:

thanks for the reply
    ok... well, if they specialize in volvos, then I assume they read the code that was causing the CEL. What did it say?

• davy3davy3 Posts: 1
    The illumination of the automatic gear selection by the gearstick has gone out. Has anyone replaced the bulb?
  • chiphilchiphil Posts: 2
    My gear selection light is out as well and I would like to replace it but don't know how to get in there or if it's fiber optic. And I would like to know where the cabin filter is located to change that .
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,014
    Not sure about the shift light, but the cabin filter is on the passenger side under the hood.
  • chiphilchiphil Posts: 2
    I thought so too. But I didn't see an entrance there, unless that whole black plastic cover has to be removed. Could it be that with enough screws removed you could manage to wiggle it out?
    I think only about six screws are involved.
    I had that just changed last month, it only costs about $80 and they did it while I was waiting, which shouldn't take more than an hour. ofcourse I did not got to the dealer because the will cost a lot more.
  • booker1booker1 Posts: 4
    I previously drove a 2001 and 2002 C70 with 17 inch wheels. I lived in Kansas City and loved the way it handled in any type of weather.
    In Fall of 2006, I purchased a 2007 C70 and have had an expensive problem.
    My previous care was totaled and I needed a car fast. I had my heart set on the Volvo C70 and found one in San Diego (we now live in central California) with 18 inch wheels and Pierelli performance tires. The dealer had ordered the car with these wheels and tires. I did not like the feel of the tires from the beginning but I had no idea that they were only rated to last for under 20000 miles. At 10000 miles the road noise became awful and at 15000 it sounded like Fred Flintstones car and I had to replace the tires. We replaced them with a supposedly all season Pirelli tire that I have now just replaced at 38000 miles. After the second set of tires I was told by the tire co that I needed an alignment. when I took my Volvo to a dealer in Stockton,Ca, they checked and said it did not need an alignment. So 10000 miles later, I need another set of tires due to bad alignment.
    Very frustrating and expensive. I love everything else about the care except the poor adjustment of the Bixenom lights that were lifted at Stockton.
    Anyone else have this tire or alignment problem?

DB
  • techgirltechgirl Posts: 2
    I have a wobbly alignment problem in my 2003 C70, and have tried everything short of new tires (balancing etc.). It handles quite "loose" compared to other similar cars. Ironically, I ended up with this convertible the same way you did, rear ended by a drunk driver, needed a car, bought quickly... If you have any suggestions, I'm getting tired of a car that looks great and handles badly...
  • Just got my new C70 2008 this week. I'm trying to get the homelink lights to blink, pressing 1 and 3, the 2 outside lights. Nothing. What could I be doing wrong? I'm thinking it's just not working in the first place. I do have the package that includes homelink. Thank you.
  • booker1booker1 Posts: 4
    Do you have 18 inch wheels and tires. I did not have problems with my 17 inch wheels in the past
  • Figured it out. I was too far from the garage door module. Works fine.
  • bobparisbobparis Posts: 28
    Postal this message back in March. In my case both the Volvo dealer AND tire shop recommended an alignment. Also had the bi-xenon headlight issue - took two trips to the dealer to have them adequately adjusted upward. Read on, please...

When I bought my C70 in May of 2007 I noticed the sticker on the window stating that Volvo equipped the car with high-performance tires and to expect a tread life of around 20,000 miles. It struck me as strange that Volvo would put such tires on any of their vehicles. I bought a Volvo to be safe and because it looked sporty and fun - not because I wanted or needed to go around corners at 75 mph. A few months after purchase I noticed a slow leak in one of the tires and visited a shop to have it repaired. I commented that I did not like the ride - too noisy, bumpy and as described on this message board, like "riding on rails." On worn streets with grooves, the car has flung itself to the side as the steering wheel turned by itself around 40 degrees. Really had to hold onto the wheel while driving - tough for someone who usually steers with his knees! Anyway, the tire expert (having been in the business for a few decades) fixed the tire for free and asked me to come back when I needed to buy tires. He mentioned that I would not get 20,000 miles out of the factory tires - he was right, at 17,500 miles I had 0/32nd's on the front. He promised that he would figure out what tire would be less noisy, give me a nicer ride and last longer. Yesterday he installed a set of 4 Hankook tires that are speed rated at 130 mph, as opposed to the Pirelli OEM's that are rated at a ludicrously high 160. I immediately noticed that they are quieter, smoother and less prone to being thrown across the lane. He told me the tires are touted as having a lifecycle of 50,000, but in real-world driving to expect a usable life of about 30,000 miles. And they were less than half the price of the Pirellis. Hope this story connects with any others who share the same feelings. Bob
    I had a set if P Zero Rosso's on my S60R, got 32,000 miles out of them.
    I rotated the tires every 7500 miles and checked the tire pressure weekly.
    I ran @ 35psi.
    I've had Corvette's, Mitsubishi Turbo's, Mercedes, all cars w/ similar tires and they all behaved as you described w/ the C70.
    The wide tires do catch all the grooves in the road, they are noisier than all season tires and they do wear quickly.
    A tradeoff for increased handling.

The Rosso's are a performance tire,as such they are overkill for the C70.
    They have been taken off the S80 V8 and T6, replaced w/ an 18" all season Pirelli.
    When it was time to replace the original tires (<20k) on my 99 with optional 17 inchers and Pirellis P-6000 tires, I asked my Volvo service rep about going to all-seasons for much better life. He didn't recommend the change, saying the car was set up at the factory for the high performance tires and that changing tires would mess up the handling. Wss he "blowing smoke" or was he correct?
    Technically, he was correct.
    However, unless you drive the car hard you would be unlikely to notice much difference.
    Frankly, most people don't drive their cars energetically enough to benefit from high performance tires.

It is also shocking how little people know about tires in general.
    They are literally the most important part of your car.
  • empty1empty1 Posts: 109
    I purchased an '07 C70 with the standard all weather 17" tires. Question for the future. When it is time to replace these tires, can I replace them with 18" all weather tires and if so do you have any recommendations as to specific tires. Will there be a difference of any note by going up an inch in tire diam. or is it just cosmetic. thanks. :D
  • bobparisbobparis Posts: 28
    The tire size and rim size must match. A 17" tire has a 17" "hole" to accommodate a 17" rim. You could not put 18" tires on a 17" rim since there will be a 1" gap. I have 18" wheels on my C70 and wish that I had 17" ones since they offer a smoother ride. Stick with what you have...