Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lease Questions - Ask Here

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
I created this new topic in an effort to
consolidate all of the various topics that contain
specific questions about leasing. Please feel free
to post any questions that you have on this
subject in this area. Thanks.

Car_Man
Smart Shoppers / FWI Co-Host

Comments

• jim52jim52 Member Posts: 161
    In PA. But I think it is a national program. Let me know when you get the new leasing figures.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    Hey Carman... what do you think about a deal for a 2000 Maxima GLE with leather,AT,Traction, Bose,Roof. basically everything but a 6cd changer for 25,125+tax+license fee$130 at this time of the year? It's a car that's been sitting on the lot for a few months now and is gathering dust. It's about 500 under invoice with no dest charge. I understand it's a great deal anytime during the year...but i'm just wondering its' the end of the year, plus there could be a clearance rebate anytime now for the max and it's black.. which is almost last in my choices of color. (have a black truck already) do you think there would be a rebate in the next few weeks from nissan on the max and whether should i just bite the bullet and go for it. thanks
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Welcome to this new topic, bretfraz. It would be a big help if you could provide me with the length of time that you want to lease for and the mileage that you want (12,000 or 15,000 miles per year).

There are definitely some decent deals available right now, but I think that the days of unbelievably low monthly payments are gone for the time being now that the Fed raised interest rates numerous times. It seems to me as though it is more expensive to lease a vehicle today that it was to lease the same one several years ago in many cases.

Car_Man
    Kyleknicks, if you can get a 2000 Maxima for $500 under invoice and not have to pay the destination charge and you like the car then go for it. I doubt that you will be able to find one for much less than that. There hasn't been any cash incentives on the Maxima in quite some time. I haven't seen Nissan's September incentive program, so I guess that it is possible that they introduced some sort of cash on this car. It is tough to say for certain. If you want to be absolutely positive that there aren't any cash incentives on the Maxima, their new incentives should be available here at Edmunds.com sometime late this week or early next. If you like the car, the price is right and I probably would buy it before someone else did if I was in your shoes. Good Luck.

Car_Man
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    ...I know better than to leave out critical info.

I'd like 15K mi/yr. and both 24 & 36 month residuals, just to play with.

Thanks!!
  • henckelshenckels Member Posts: 6
    the lease is for 15K/year
  • slardyslardy Member Posts: 1
    Carman,

where can I get a detailed description of lease calculations?

slardy
  • demclaughlindemclaughlin Member Posts: 1
    CarMan:

a while ago you provided me with accord coupe and volvo residuals and money factors. I would assume that the money factor is variable as well as the residual, both dependent on what lender you end up using - I see you were using the manufacturer's finance co's numbers. But, anyway, I would like to know what the approximate residual and money factors would be for an '01 Audi A4 1.8T with 5 speed/roof/premium sound - no quattro. Thanks
    Don't worry about it, bretfraz. The 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue is the only one of the vehicles that you mentioned that has a lease program that didn't expire on September 5th, so I will start with it. Both the 24 and 36 month GMAC lease money factors for all 2001 Intrigue models are 4.1%. If you lease one through GMAC with 15,000 miles per year prior to the end of 2000, the 24 month supported residual value will be 54% and the 36 month residual will be 46%.

As I just mentioned the Acura and Infiniti lease programs just expired and I have not seen their new ones yet. I will probably have the information that you are looking for if you check back with me late next week.

Car_Man
    You're welcome, henckels. I haven't seen Nissan's September lease program yet. However I ran a sample 36 month NMAC lease on a base 2000 Maxima GLE with a selling price of $25,329 and 15,000 miles per year and the monthly payment came out to slightly less than $400 per month not including tax. If you received this lease quote in September it is possible that the lease program on this car has changed enough to account for the difference in the payments. Also, perhaps they are already including tax in the quote that they gave you.

I suggest that you run the price that you were quoted for this car and the monthly lease payments that you have been given by some of your fellow community members over in the Town Hall Sedans Conference. Perhaps some Maxima owners and shoppers in that part of this site will be able to tell you exactly how much they are paying for their vehicles so that you have a few real world examples to compare with. Click here to go there: Edmunds.com Sedans Conference.

Car_Man
    Slardy, I posted a detailed explanation on how to calculate monthly lease payments quite some time ago in this conference. Here is a link to that particular post: Town Hall Finance, Warranty, & Insurance Conference Topic #35 "How to Calculate Monthly Lease Payments". Enjoy!

Car_Man
    Hi demclaughlin. You are correct, a vehicle's specific lease money factors and residual values will vary depending upon what bank you lease it through. It is obviously extremely difficult to track the thousands of different lease programs that are available from all of the various banks that are out there. So, I personally keep an eye on the lease programs run by manufacturers' captive finance companies. It usually turns out that captive finance companies are able to provide the most attractive leases on vehicles that receive factory lease support. However, it is frequently less expensive to lease an unsupported vehicle through an unaffiliated lending institution.

The Audi Financial Services lease program on the A4 expired at the end of today, and as you might imagine I haven't seen their new program yet. Please feel free to check back with me towards the end of next week and I should have the info that you're looking for.

Car_Man
    Carman: regarding my previous inquiry. received news of a quote for $388 for the Max. GLE 15K/36month lease with TCS/Floormats. This might just be the right quote i was looking for.
    Good job, henckels. Shopping around definitely pays. This latest quote sounds right around what I would expect this car to cost you. Enjoy.

Car_Man
    Ramd02, if you were going to lease a GS 400, I would say wait until the GS 430 is introduced in the not so distant future. However, the Lexus GS 300 came out in 1993, had a major redesign in 1998, and it has changed relatively little since then. So both of these cars should be relatively similar.

As far as the deals go, I would say that both the price that you are being charged for the 1998 GS 300 and the lease interest rates seem very reasonable to me. However, even though the interest rate seems fair for the 2001 model the price sounds a little on the high side. Of course, I have no way of telling how this car is equipped by reading the post that you made. So if this car is loaded than this price might not be that high after all. It is in your best interest to pay a visit to another Lexus dealership or two to see if they would be willing to give you more than a $500 discount on this car. If not, then this is what the market dictates for this particular vehicle in your area.

Which one you should get is really a personal decision. It depends upon several factors, including how much more you want to drive a brand new car over a used one and what your budget is like.

Car_Man
  • floridianfloridian Member Posts: 219
    bretfraz: also here in Florida a license tag for a lease vehicle will, car for car, cost almost double as well. just another way to "tax your sox off" I would not recommend anyone lease unless they can charge it off as biz expense. Plus at lease end we have always had a BIG hassle about excessive wear and tear, not worth it IMHO.

Floridian
  • hodgesjahodgesja Member Posts: 1
    I am currently considering leasing one of the following 2001 models: Expedition, Tahoe, Suburban, Durango and Yukon (2 wheel drives). Can you give me the residual percentage for each of these on a 3 and 4 yr lease? Or, please tell me where I can find this information.

If some of these models have a lower residual than the others, I may eliminate them from my consideration.

Also, what is an average money factor to use?

I want to do my own calculations before I make an offer.
  • stevejoestevejoe Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I am planning on leasing a 2001 Acura 3.2TL (when it comes out later this month). Does anyone have residual and money factor info on this car (or the 2000 Acura 3.2 TL)? I am looking at a 36 month lease with 15,000 mile per year. Thanks..
    car_man:

here's the deal I got for the Max: Fully Loaded GLE, all options except gold badging. 389/month for 39 months. I thought it was a pretty dang good buy.

Do you have any idea about the end of lease procedures for nmac? I just found out my existing honda lease will be charged some bogus "disposition fee" in the amount of $400. Leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth, would that be a norm?
    Hi hodgesja. Fortunately, all of the lease programs for the vehicles that you are interested in are scheduled to run at least through the end of the month. However, I have not seen the lease program for the 2001 Expedition yet. I probably will have that data by the end of this week. OK now for the other trucks that you are looking at. Neither the Tahoe, Suburban, or Yukon currently have any lease support available on them through General Motors Acceptance Corp. So if you decide to lease one of these SUVs through them you will have to pay their standard lease rate of 9.5% for all lease terms. This rate assumes that your credit is in good shape and will be higher if it is not. I haven't seen the residual values for the 2001 versions of these trucks yet, but again may have them in a few days.

If you decide to lease a 2001 Dodge Durango through Chrysler Financial Corp. the lease money factor is currently .00340 for both 36 and 48 month terms. The 15,000 mi/yr residuals for this truck are 54% for 36 mo. & 47% for 48 mo. for the 2WD version and 55% and 48% respectively for the 4WD version of this truck.

Car_Man
    Henckels, congratulations on your new Maxima. That definitely sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Unfortunately, many lending institutions charge their lessees lease-end disposition fees. I also find them quite annoying. To the best of my knowledge, I do not believe that Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp. has a disposition charge on their leases. The best way to find out for certain would be to take a close look at your lease contract. If there is a lease-end charges it has to be spelled out in your contract.

Car_Man
    i'll definitely check the lease out in detail - gotta now find my magnifying glasses in the attic.
    now i gotta get them snowtires. anybody use the michelin alpine?
  • madlog1madlog1 Member Posts: 3
    Are they negotiable? I have owned two leased autos and I never tried before. I am expecting my new car next month and have heard a few people mention that they have been able to negotiate higher residual rates.
    Madlog1, as bretfraz mentioned in his post, there really is not any way to negotiate lease residual values. Banks set these values and the individual dealership that you are getting your vehicle from has no authority to alter them. I doubt that any banks would be willing to provide you with a higher residual value for the vehicle that you are interested in if you contacted them directly. Most banks are already taking substantial hits on many vehicles because they set the residual values too high, I doubt that they would want to increase their exposure to this financial risk. The only way that one can alter the residual value for a lease is to agree to a lower mileage limit. A vehicle that you are allowed to drive 12,000 miles per year without any excess mileage penalty will have a higher residual value than the exact same car or truck would if you leased it with 15,000 miles per year.

Car_Man
    Thanks for the info from my last post. I have one other quetion for you. Which banks are offering the highest residual values and money factors for the 225 TT Coupes. I am getting ready to take delivery of mine and would like to have some idea of what numbers my dealer should be coming back with.

Thanks in advance.
  • bryancalhounbryancalhoun Member Posts: 13
    Looking for 36m/15k resid/mf and extra mileage on 2wd Cherokee Limited (smaller version) and 2wd 4Runner SR5.

Thanks!
  • bryancalhounbryancalhoun Member Posts: 13
    By the way, I'm in the Bay Area (SF).
    Madlog1, it is difficult for me to track all of the thousands of banks out there that one could lease a new car through. So, I try to just keep track of what manufacturers' captive finance companies' lease programs are like. In instances where there is lease support on a particular vehicle captive finance companies are usually able to provide the lowest monthly lease payment to consumers. Unfortunately, Audi does not currently have any lease support on the TT. So if you decide to lease one through Audi Financial Services right now you will have to pay their standard lease money factor, which is equivalent to approximately 8.6%. Shop around at a couple of Audi dealerships. By doing so, you should be able to get a good idea of what bank presently has the most competitive lease program on this car.

Nice choice by the way. If I was going to get a new car right now, the Audi TT would probably be it. I think that it is gorgeous. My current lease still runs through June though so I still have a little time to change my mind ;) .

Car_Man
    Hi bryancalhoun. I'd be glad to help you out. Unfortunately, DaimlerChrysler cut way back on the lease support that they were providing on the majority of their vehicles a month or two ago. They found that they were fighting a losing battle with the falling residual values of 2000 models (thanks to the end of the model year) and the constantly increasing interest rates (thanks to the Fed).

So, if you choose to lease a 2001 Jeep Cherokee through Chrysler Financial right now you will have to pay their standard lease money factor of .00390 for 36 month terms. Of course this rate assumes that your credit is in pretty good shape, if not it will be higher. The 36 month, 15,000 mi/yr CFC residual values for the 2001 Jeep Cherokee are 38% for 2-Door 2WD and 42% for 4-Door 2WD models. The combination of the high money factor and the low residual value do not make this a very attractive lease vehicle right now. Fortunately, the $1,500 Lease Cash that DaimlerChrysler has on the 2001 Cherokee helps to somewhat offset the bad lease terms.

I do not know exactly what the lease money factor for the Toyota 4Runner is in the San Francisco area. However, chances are that the SF region is very similar to most others in that there is not any lease money factor support on the 2000 or 2001 Toyota 4Runner right now. If you decide to lease one through Toyota Motor Credit Corp. and there is not any support available on it, you will end up paying their standard lease money factor which I believe is currently .00400.

Car_Man
    FYI if you are looking to get a TT there is usually a three month wait if you want one of the less common colors, and all dealers in my area (NJ) are getting MSRP. And, although I once said that I would never pay full price for a car, I find myself doing it with the TT. That just goes to show you how impressed I was with it after the test drive, close up inspection.

BTW, I think Hahn is offering the best lease rates now, I just wanted to get some feedback from you before moving on it.

Thanks again for your help!
  • aaronmattisonaaronmattison Member Posts: 6
    We are currently working on a lease assumption. The lease was taken out by a Nissan dealer who qualified for certain discounts. The lease was for 48 months on a fully loaded 2000 GLE. The car only has 12,700 miles on it and is in great shape. We can assume the remaining 36 months with payments of $375/mo, only $250 down, and an end of lease buyout option of 14,800. Does this sound like a fair deal, or could we get a deal like this on a new one. The dealer told us that if we were to try to get a car like this new, the payments would be in the $450 range. We have not yet pursued this option through other dealers however. Any advice?
    as per previous posts, got a fully loaded GLE for $389/39month/15K per year lease no money down. Would you pay $168/lease year extra for a new GLE? I know I would. I really have no idea how these 'lease assumptions' transactions usually price out but it just seems a little steep in comparison to a new GLE.
  • ajg2ajg2 Member Posts: 2
    Can you provide the "good credit" money factor and residual for a three year, 12,000 mile per lease of the Lexus GS300 and 430? Thank you.
  • spontaneousspontaneous Member Posts: 1
    hey car man. i was hoping that you might have some insight for me. i'm considering leasing a 2000 (or 2001) maxima and have thought about a onepay/prepay lease. do you know if NMAC has any good deals for onepay leases? i've got tier 1 credit.

thanks!
  • stevejoestevejoe Member Posts: 2
    Hello Car_Man,
    You mentioned about a week ago that you were expecting to hear shortly on the new 2001 residual and money factor numbers for an Acura 3.2TL. Any news yet?
    I am interested in leasing a 2001 with navigation, for 36 months and 15,000 miles per year.
    Thanks..
    SteveJoe
    Henckles,
    What was your buy out at the end? When talking to the dealers, we were told that a new car would be in the $30K ball park. They estimated payments at $450 or so. Is this likely just because of dealer markup? Was there any incentive program running when you got yours? Feel free to contact me direct.
  • dave212dave212 Member Posts: 1
    Car_Man,

In you opinion, is it wise to lease (2-3yr), as opposed to financing (4yr), a performance car (ie, 911, Viper, M5, $70K+cars) as a low mileage secondary car used primarily for fun, racing, etc.

Are there any special considerations which must be taken into consideration for such cars, as opposed to sub-40K lease cars?

I realize the question is rather vague and leaves a lot to be considered or assumed, but this is intentional, as I really would like to hear your opinion on such an endevour.

Thanks,
    -Dave
    I don't have the buy-out value handy but perhaps this will help.... the "cost" of the car as listed on my car registration is: $26020. In another forum, someone did get a car around $26400. As such the 30K figured quoted to you is more like MSRP. translated = rip-off.
    I also noticed that Nissan is running a leasing special on the Maxima GXE through Oct. 2. Do you think they would consider a GLE an upgrade to the GXE so we get the same benifits?
  • gperrgperr Member Posts: 157
    Car_man,

Can you please provide the current money factor for a VW Jetta GLS V6 (2001). I saw on the rebates/incentives page that in NJ there are special residuals and lease factors, but the page does not tell us the lease money factors. (It would be nice if you guys would add them to that web page).

I am looking at between 24-39 months.

Thanks

Gregg
    Madlog1, thanks for the heads up about the long wait for the TT. It's not surprising that this car is difficult so get a hold of given its popularity right now. Did you get one with an automatic or manual transmission? I ask because rumor has it that Volkswagwen, and therefore Audi, currently has a serious shortage of automatic transmissions and that anything with one is difficult to find without a wait.

Car_Man
    Aaronmattison, when you say that you have the
    chance to assume a lease on a "GLE" do you mean a
    Nissan Maxima GLE? This doesn't sound like that great a deal to me. Also, I personally would be slightly leery of assuming a 48 month lease on most vehicles. I say this because one of the major perks of leasing a vehicle for 24 or 36 months is that it is covered by its original factory warranty for the duration of your lease. If you assume this lease you will not have any warranty coverage for the last year and will be responsible to repair anything that goes wrong or possibly face a lease-end penalty for excess wear and tear if you don't.

Prior to agreeing to assume this lease, I suggest
    that you visit a couple of other Nissan dealerships and price how much it would cost you to lease a brand new Maxima GLE. You may find that the difference in payments is not great enough to justify going with the used car over a brand new one.

Car_Man
    Hi ajg2. Unfortunately, the only 2001 Lexus that I have seen the lease program for yet is the IS 300. Still it is very safe to say that Lexus does not have any lease support on either the 2001 GS 300 or GS 430. So if you decide to lease either of these cars through Lexus Financial Services right now, you will have to pay their standard lease money factor of .00390 for all terms. As I mentioned I haven't seen the exact LFS residual values for these vehicles, but if I had to guess I would say that the 2001 GS 300 probably has 15,000 mi/yr residuals of about 63% for 24 months, 56% for 36 months, and 49% for 48 months and the 2001 GS 430 probably has slightly higher residuals of around 65%, 57%, and 51% respectively. Again these are just estimates and may very well vary slightly from Lexus' residuals for these cars.

Car_Man
    Hi spontaneous. Yes, Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp does have a One Pay lease program that allows consumers to pay their entire lease in advance. I believe that their program provides lease money factors of between .00215 (about 5.1%) and .00275 (about 6.6%). These rates don't seem that great to me. Make sure to check with someone at the dealership that you are working with to see how much money paying for your entire lease in advance will save you for certain, but in my opinion it doesn't appear to be worth it for most Nissan vehicles.

Car_Man
    SteveJoe, yes I have finally seen the new Acura lease program. Not surprisingly, there still is not any lease support available on the 2000 or 2001 TL. So, if you decide to lease one through American Honda Finance Corp., Acura's captive finance company, for 36 months you will have to pay their standard lease money factor of I believe .00355 for that term. The AHFC 36 month 15,000 mi/yr residual value for this car with the Navigation System is currently 60%. I hope that this info helps you out.

Car_Man
    Hi Dave. The main problem with leasing a high priced sports car like the ones that you mentioned (911, Viper, or M5) is that manufacturers do not need to provide any lease support to help move these low volume cars. Porsche for instance often has a waiting list of potential customers at dealerships. As a result if you decide to lease one of these vehicles through their manufacturers' financial arm you will usually have to pay their standard lease money factor. This will probably be around 9% or a little less right now. If you don't mind the high interest rate, then leasing a sports car is a viable option. The only really high performance car that I can think of that usually has lease support available on it is the Acura NSX.

Car_Man
    Gregg, at this point Volkswagen only has lease support on its 2000 models. So, if you want to lease a 2001 Jetta through Volkswagen Credit you will have to pay their standard lease money factor of .00350 for the terms that you are interested in.

Car_Man
  • ajg2ajg2 Member Posts: 2
    Car_man,

Can you please provide money factor and residual information for a 2001 Audi A6 2.7T. I'm looking for a 3 or 4 year lease at 12,000 miles per year.

Thank you.
    Hi ajg2. I would be glad to help you out. If you lease an Audi A6 2.7T quattro (great car by the way) through Audi Financial Services prior to October 3rd, the 36 month lease money factor will be .00260 and the 48 month lease money factor will be .00280. The corresponding 12,000 mi/yr residual values for this car are 59% and 52% respectively.

Car_Man
  • djdezdjdez Member Posts: 110
    I was hoping I could get some feedback on a current lease deal I'm considering ....

The deal I'm being offered is slightly better than another one I had about a week ago. Here goes:

$342/mo (TAX INCLUDED) @ 39 months
    $2000 due at lease signing (tax and inceptions are all included - roughly $600 is inceptions, $1400 is cap cost reduction) .... I did notice there is NO security deposit and NO bank fee through this bank ...

I saw an ad in the paper for $299/mo (PLUS ttl) for 36 months .. but $4000 was due at signing -- I don't think this is really a good deal, and mine is probably still better ...

No other dealer has been able to touch the $342/mo deal. Here is the small problem I have. The lease on my 98 Honda isn't up until December .. so, I have 3 payments left of $350 ... not to mention, I'm a few thousand miles over the mileage, the $250 disposition fee and I'd still have to pay insurance on BOTH cars if I kept the Honda ... The Acura dealer would require an ADDITIONAL $1500.00 down to 'pay off' the Honda ... really kinda confused as to what I should do ... Also, my lease is through First Union, who is now OUT of the Auto Leasing Business, so they've already told me there's really no flexibility ...

Oh, by the way -- could anyone tell me how much insurance you pay on your CL ? As we all know, it's NICE and expensive here in Jersey -- I got a quote of $2100 per YEAR for the CL -- $300 more than my Honda ...

WHAT SHOULD I DO ???

I'd really appreciate all your input - thanks !
This discussion has been closed.