Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy: Typical high-mileage repairs?

14567810»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    114k is great. Keep doing whatever you're already doing, I say. By now you probably have changed the timing belt twice, but go ahead if you haven't.

At 120k I would replace everything that is serviceable: oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, plug wires, O2 sensor, tranny oil, differential oil (if AWD), belts, hoses, PCV valve, etc.

-juice
  • royallenroyallen Posts: 224
    An additional item in preventive maintenance on vehicles over 6 years old is to check CV boots monthly- especially the outboard boots. A crack/leak detected early will save replacing the axle. If you wait til you hear clicking with turns the joint is bad and cost more than double.
    Don't I know it. Our 626 just tore a boot and it was $300 to fix it. All that and we still have an axle whine from that area, so it's going back to the shop again. I don't think they packed enough grease, or they didn't do it properly.

-juice
  • we own three Subarus- one legacy 4wd wagon with a 5 speed (rare car), one SVX, and a 1991 Justy. All of these cars are flawless. Subarus far exceed Honda and Toyotas in reliability. I know- I owned Hondas since 1981, and switched to a little Subaru Justy in 1991. I'll never go back to a Honda. Still have that $6000 car, and it's got 130k, and I've never done anything but routine maintainence on it. It burns a little oil, but hey, it's a high-revving three-cylinder. These cars were only designed to go 100k (even the odometer resets after 100k). My SVX is flawless as well. It's got 85k, and nothing has gone wrong other than an occasional chirp from that annoying alarm on a hot day.

My son has a 1992 Honda Accord. It has 125k, and breaks down all the time. Yet, on the Kelly Blue Book, his car is worth $500 more than my SVX with only 85k, all the bells and whistles, and a gutsy boxer V6! What a joke! Buy a used Subaru, they don't hold their value at all, but they are reliable as dirt!
    Rich - you ought to try and join us for Thursday chats. You have quite an interesting fleet, I'd love to hear more about them.

The SVX is such an exotic, still rare, collectible even.

-juice
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,279
    New review from Edmunds on the WRXs poor sister. Read all about it:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/spin/48363/article.html

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Not a bad review. Their biggest complaint is the price, but theirs was $19,820, and fitzmall.com sells them for $17,969 with freight included. Not bad at all.

-juice
14567810»
This discussion has been closed.