Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Events

bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
or desired get togethers here!

Bonnie Rick
Town Hall Community Manager, Edmunds.com
Tagged:

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Anyone here?

Nah, you guys are probably at that Rally at Valley Forge, PA. And I am JEALOUS!

At least I have the Fall Folliage Tour. Fill me in when you guys get back, k?

-juice
  • jaxcarjaxcar Member Posts: 2
    Juice -- I just found these Subaru Crew topics. Great idea. BTW, what's the Fall Foliage Tour? It sounds interesting.

Jack
    It's supposed to take place during the autumn somewhere in the mid-atlantic region, I believe.

Anyone fill us in on the details?

-juice
  • babaorileybabaoriley Member Posts: 74
    I'm wondering if anyone knows of some good trails in SF Bay Area. I live in Petaluma and most of the interesting stuff around me is private land. I just want to put my 00 OB through some fun. I miss the snow in Tahoe!
  • babaorileybabaoriley Member Posts: 74
    I'm taking off work tomorrow to see if I can find some of the new snow Tahoe just got!
  • noclassnoclass Member Posts: 24
    TIME TO THINK ABOUT THE SOUTHEAST MEET AND GET-TOGETHER AT TEAGUE'S AUTO IN NORTH CAROLINA ON 27 MAY-- SEE http://www.subaruclub.com OUR EVENTS PAGE FOR INFO !
  • noclassnoclass Member Posts: 24
    Will be in the Charlottesville VA area the second or third week-end in October. Mostly just a driving tour and Brunch. I'll have more details at the August Gettysburg PA event.
    http://www.subaruclub.com
    Garry
    scoa@subaruclub.com
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    I have to work most Saturdays...maybe I could get down there around 7:00 p.m., but I suspect y'all will be gone by then!
  • miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    Too bad, Lucien. I was counting on you to wave the Outback flag ;) You'd like these RS guys; they auto-cross at Ft. Meade and some have been to driving school like you. I'll keep your schedule in mind when they plan the next one. ..Mike

..Mike

Let's go, fellas. I'm in.

Maybe that'll inspire me to order those 16" rims and get them mounted. I'll have something new to show off.

Mike: how many are expected to attend?

Hey, we've got a lot of MDers here, so I expect you guys to show up if you can. You folks from VA (virgins??? oh, virginians) should come too!

-juice
    Schweet! Now that we've got the main attraction, maybe the rest of the Edmund's locals will come out. Francisco, Phil (mmpkoppers): bring your GTs, I need backup! (and you can caravan from VA) Bob: you and your son can represent OBS, and bring Dave (dsattler). WDB (francophile), caravan w/Audrey's RS (email me for her info).

Aapologies for those I omitted but if you lurk or if your profile doesn't say where you're located, I missed you but that doesn't mean you're not invited!

From Jeff:
    > Looks like we'll have a very strong turnout!

So that could mean anything. Audrey is coming from Philadelphia, and I think 10 RSVP'd on i Club.

Thanks for posting your support, juice!

Now who else will accept juice's "challenge"? If you want to ask questions of AJ, the almighty himself, this will be the place to be.

..Mike

PS - Sorry juice but I was temporarily overcome by marketspeak.

PPS - LOTS of twisties in the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center -- it's a research farm that your (USA, that is) tax dollars bought, so use it! And it's minutes away from the meet.

..Mike

• kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Mike & juice,

Please take some photos of this meet and post them somewhere! I'd love to see how it turns out.

Ken
    Uh-oh, expectations are high. I'd better bring some cool tools with me. Maybe at least a hydraulic floor jack.

KenS: I'm way ahead of you there. Will take both digital and 35mm cameras for the event. Hope to get some hot pics of the slammed Imprezas, which I imagine will dominate.

-juice
    juice, If you by slammed you mean lowered like the one we saw at the DC auto show, you might not see any. The i Club'ers that have RSVPd are auto-crossers with mods like struts and swaybars (some have springs, maybe .75-1 in lower). Sure, a few are boy racers (sans the stickers) but some are just enthusiasts like you and me. We'll keep you posted, Ken. ..Mike

..Mike

I guess I used the term loosely, but those will be plenty of fun to see regardless.

I wonder how far they can go, i.e. what kind of mods you can do while staying within the rules.

Also, someone at Subaru said the strut braces from the Impreza will not fit. Guess we can measure for ourselves.

-juice
    To clarify, not fit my Forester.

-juice
    BWAAAAAAAAH!!!! I WANNA GO!!!! DAMMITT!

I hate retail.....
  • francophilefrancophile Member Posts: 667
    It just so happens that I'll be in DC on the Friday before your MD shindig; another group of fanatics with which I have some association is assembling there for a little Cinco de Mayo bash. I was going to carpool down with a fellow (in his 1.8T A4 Avant, the excessive cost of which I was looking forward to pointing out to him at every opportunity) but since your event has apparently turned into THE place to be for a nascent Subie loon such as myself maybe I'll just drive myself down and cruise by on my way home.

I have to warn you, though; my car is S-T-O-C-K, and it is likely to be D-I-R-T-Y. I'm what you might call an old-f*rt car nut. Over the years I've managed to find a comfort zone somewhere between driving enjoyment and obsessing over whether or not I could see the reflection of airplanes flying at 60,000 feet in the shine; in my case that zone is wwwwwaaaaayyy over on the enjoyment side of the scale. So if I show up with a couple of dead bugs embedded in the nose of my GT, please try to remember that some of them "sacrificed themselves to the stars" at over 100mph before you howl in protest and light the torches. Tell you what; I'll try to run it through one of those automatic car washes (gasp!) before I get there, just to get the really big chunks off.

So, will this do as my RSVP? I just hope I don't fall off the waxaholism wagon by being around you folks. Been there, done that, used up all the t-shirts.

Grinning,
    WDB
    Great WDB! Just STAY AWAY from the auto car wash! (I don't like the "touchless" ones either -- too many scratches on the 93 Civic.) I'd rather see a dirty GT than a scratched GT. Car washes are ok after the 5 year anniversary ;) You, juice, and I will be the S-T-O-C-K representatives. This'll do as your RSVP; I'll collect the names from here and fill in Jeff.

Grinning a bigger grin than WDB,
    ..Mike

..Mike

I thought juice had hacked a big, non-factory hole in the roof of his Forester....

Cheers,
    WDB
    Woops, I forgot. You sir, are correct. Mike

..Mike

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I'm going to try to make it too. First, I have to shovel out a semister's worth of U of MD debris (and that's being kind), that my son has left in the vehicle. So... there's my RSVP.

Bob
    Haha, yes, the [ir]responsibilities of youth.. Thanks for the RSVP. Should be fun! Bring your son so he can translate Gen-X for the Boomers. ..Mike

..Mike

Unfortunately, wife and son will be in NY seeing a Broadway play that weekend. I'll be flying solo, unless I can convince my daughter to come... which is doubtful, knowing her social calendar.

Bob
    ...just come!

I just took my Forester to the beach, so it now has a layer of sand on top of the pollen that was on there before. Didn't get to drive in the sand, but that'll be this summer in the Outer Banks.

I may or may not have time for a clean up, we'll see.

Yup, looks at the mods topic at my first post, I list them all there. With the windows tint and the roof, though, it doesn't look stock at all. Too bad the wheels I wanted are out of stock, or I'd show up with some brand new Plus Ones.

Rats.

-juice
    If your a Costco member, bring your card as there's a Costco on Rt 1 in Beltsville that sells petrol; it's about 5 mins away from the meet. Fuel is usually 8-10 cents cheaper than other stations in the vicinity (which isn't to say it's less expensive than a gas station near you). Haven't filled the tank recently so I don't know the current price, but I'll be refueling there since it's so close.

..Mike

..Mike

• mmpkoppersmmpkoppers Member Posts: 3
    Mike,
    Just my luck that I would get called out during the period that I get way behind on the boards. Sounds like it would be fun time, and I was getting ready to clean it tomorrow morning. Unfortunately, we are already committed to another event, plus the scheduled b-day is less than a week away, so I don't think she wants to venture too far from the hospital.
    Keep thinking of me, I will make one of these things yet.

phil
    Jeff for hosting the Subaru Meet in Beltsville yesterday. It was great to finally meet some of the Subaru Crew -- Mike, Juice and francophile, and to meet some members of the "I Club". Did I leave anybody out? I hope not.

It was fun!

Bob
    I too enjoyed meeting everyone. And thanks for the soda and food too. I grabbed an iced tea for the drive back to PA and it got me all the way home. However it would have been nice if someone had told me about the monster traffic jam out on I-95 North! I could have scooted up some other road until I cleared it. Actually it wasn't nearly as bad as the gridlock I suffered on I-695 in the middle of the day Friday; so much for beating rush hour traffic! I must say I really, REALLY am happy to have the CD player. It kept me sane.

Side note: while I was at the Subie meet NOT ONE Legacy-based OB was on site. Struck me as odd.

Cheers,
    A slightly road-weary WDB
    Hey guys, thanks for attending the meet! 11 Impreza 2.5 RS, 1 Forester, 1 OBS, 2 GT; what a great gathering! Wow, we had something like 3 folks from Pennsylvania, a few from Virginia, some from Carroll County, Maryland, the rest from the DC suburbs. I enjoyed meeting Bob and WDB and putting some faces and rides to the names. (juice, of course always a pleasure to see you, bud). WDB, sorry about the 95 traffic. Thanks for schlepping all the way down from PA. Jeff's a great guy; he doesn't read Edmund's but I'll send him a URL so he reads the kudos. juice, what time to you take off? Wish Icould have stayed to watch more of the rally videos. SpeedVision is yet a another reason to drop cable tv and get a satellite dish.

..Mike

Petrol? Hmm, sounds like British influence. Perhaps because they have the Turbo and we don't? ;)

Had a blast on Saturday. It was surreal to see that many RS's in one place. Seemed like every RS on the east coast was there! Cool mods, enthusiastic owners. Everybody was friendly and proud to show their rides. Many even showed appreciation for my soccer-mommobile Forester (relatively speaking).

I stuck around for maybe another half hour or so. Caught some wild footage of a driver ramming into a pair of cows. Not a Subaru, of course, I'm sure he could have avoided them :o)

Look for a web site soon, this week for sure. Pics came out GREAT.

-juice

PS Mike: you're going to have to help me with names, k? Once the site's up you'll see what I'm talking about.
    PPS Of course it was great to meet some of the regulars here. Bob proved that a big and beautiful Golden Retreiver fits just fine, thanks in an Outback Sport. WDB showed off his dust-hiding color (Winestone Pearl, right?), and it was nice to finally see Mike's car in person.
    Hey there mommamobile, I thought Winestone was red! My car is Titanium; the "Pearl" part you'll have to determine from some other source I'm afraid.

(BTW your Forester looked great.)

Cheers,
    WDB
    Sorry, I REALLY wanted to come but couldn't get off work. I would have been the Legacy OB. Maybe (hopefully) next time!

-Lucien
    Maybe we'll have to organize the next event ourselves.

We could have it in the fall, and go horseback riding too. We could make it a yearly thing, and call it the Fall Annual Riding Tour w/Subarus(FARTs).

he he

-juice
    We laughed, we cried (wishing for the WRX)...

http://thejuiceman.homepage.com/directory.html

Follow the last two links for pics of the i Club event at the Riot Squad (that's code for Jeff's house).

-juice

PS If you attend any Subaru event, please take photos and send them to me. I'll set up a page for you. New owners can also send me pictures with their Soobs.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    juice,

Were you able to drive any 2.5RSs at the meet? I'm interested in hearing how different the 2.5RS feels in contrast to the Forester.

Ken
  • jamespowerjamespower Member Posts: 42
    Mike

I see from juice's page that you went for my idea on the dealer plate. Way to go.

Too bad your continent is so damm big, would love to get together. Oh well, I'm going to have to send in some pictures.

JP
    I think Annie, while she did have a good time, and proved that a 94 pound golden can fit into an Impreza Outback, was really more interested in trying to eat my (and everybody else's) hamburgers.

She's got her priorities right.

Bob
    James, it was the first thing I showed juice! Tis such a good idea, plus the car is green so it just HAD to be so! My neighbor is from Ireland so I showed her the frame.

TISCHER SUBARU license plate frame, USD 22,547
    Black marker, USD 0.67
    Look on her face: priceless!

..Mike

PS - My wife knows you by name but, um, she's kind of tired of me talking about the silly license plate frame. (I want to find some black paint to make the C all but invisible.) It still cracks me up. Good work, my friend.

..Mike

Lucien, you would have loved it. Subies everywhere; in the driveway, on the lawn, parked up and down both sides of the road. What a sight.

Great pictures juice! You were right - they came out well. I'll have you know that wasn't just any old dust - I picked a light, golden-tinged pollen that I thought would compliment the Titanium finish. Wish I had stayed for the videos, but I was coming off the end of a long week and it felt really good to get home in time to actually relax. Next time!

Bob, I think you're right - Annie knows what *really* matters. Good food and good friends!

Mike, you could get a piece of sandpaper or something similar and simply *remove* the paint altogether. It's only the top surface, and underneath is plastic that is exactly the same color as the rest of the frame. If you wanted to get fancy you could use a fine grit sandpaper after you get the paint off, #800 for example, then a touch of polishing compound (not wax) to remove the sanding marks; the result would almost look like the C was never even there.

Cheers,
    WDB
    KenS: no, I just met all those guys (and gal), so I didn't feel it was appropriate to ask, at least not yet. Next meet, maybe. I bet if I had a lot of them would have let me, though.

I did sit in a few. The seats are the same except the fabric, but much, much lower, so it feels different. Interior is very familiar. Liked the leather shift knob and steering wheel cover, which I've added to mine myself. Moonroof is metal, though. The dash is awesome, love those white instruments, though I prefer the bigger tach in our Forester.

JP: for the record, Mike gave you full credit for the idea. We all got a real chuckle out of it.

WDB: yes, the pollen blended perfectly. So I guess it's Titanium season?

Ah, AH, ATCHOOO!

-juice
    WDB, you're thinking so far outside my box, I can't see you! Removing the offending paint instead of painting over it doesn't dovetail nicely with my engineering solution involving clamps, extension cord, and a tool that I never use, Dremel high-speed grinding tip. Oh that's right, KISS. Thanks for reacquainting my head with earth. ..Mike

..Mike

... is there air on your planet? Does it have a moon?

Giggling,
    WDB
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    OK all you Road Warriors ... I have a proposition. In Northern Harford Co. Maryland (easily accessible from all 50 states) is "Rocks State Park". Lots of things to do. Hiking, ball fields, BBQ Pits, playgrounds for the kids (both old and young), in general just a great place for a meet. Plus it's a great county ride (if you take the proper route).
    So ... I am proposing a "Subaru's on the Rocks" meeting for sometime in June or July .. bring the kids, dogs, a cooler and whatever else you require/desire.
    Feedback regarding a date (if interested) is requested !!!!!

hutch -
    Any Sunday but Father's Day. Can't normally do Sat., but could try to get time off if not near a holiday. If we get a date set early it betters my chances. How's June 11 sound?
    Haha, great name. Way to go Steve! I've never been to Rock State Park! If I may be so bold, may I ask that you write a route description to hand out the day of the meet? Sure would be fun to caravan on "the proper route". I can reproduce route instructions once we get a head count. Please click on my profile for my email address so we can discuss some ideas offline; I'll post the summary here.

Thanks for your suggestion.

..Mike Smith . Silver Spring MD USA

..Mike

• thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    For those interested or sitting on the fence, here is a link to Rocks State Park for your review. <<A HREF="http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/central/rocks.html">http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/central/rocks.html&gt;

I think I'll leave the Rock Repelling to the more adventurous and will stick with the Beer Consuming and Food Chewing.

- Hutch
    Sounds perfect. I'd be into the hiking on the pet trail, canoeing (do they rent?), tubing, and swimming. Heck, the wife and baby, and even the dogs could come along.

Hmm, maybe we could meet for breakfast in Forest(er) Hill? :)

It's only about 90 minutes from DC.

-juice

PS June 11 should work for me
    a Forest(er) Diner in Ellicott City, not far from where I live.

Bob