Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Events

Comments

• jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Midwest Subie fans can meet rally driver Travis Pastrana at Subaru of Schaumburg, IL.

http://www.subdriven.com/news/publish/Subaru_News/article_472.shtml
    The grand opening of Subaru's first flagship dealership (located in Plano, TX), will be Oct. 4. Travis Pastrana will be on hand for photos/autographs.
    http://www.subaruofplano.com/en_US/
    Anyone around Dallas planning on going? Post some pics! :) Wanna see the schwanky new look.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    This event looks pretty cool:

http://www.veloswap.com/expo/invite.html

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Hey guys, it's that time of the year again. Once again a group of Subaru drivers will be hitting up the tri-state area for over 800 miles of driving over the course of 3 days raising money for ACS at the same time as having a blast with our Subarus! We've been doing this for 6 years and still going strong.

http://iacinc.selfip.com/48hrs/48hrs-2007/

Also if anyone wants to get advertising for thier business we accept door prizes which we raffle off to the folks doing the drive as well.

Several of the crew have done this trip and will vouch for it's intensity and fun!

-mike
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    As someone who has done this with Mike since the beginning, I can definitely a lot of fun. I can also attest to the fact that you don't need a WRX to enjoy this. The first 4 years i did it in my 4cyl OBW, and now in my Bean Wagon. We have them all - from an old, modified Brat, to XT6, Baja, Forester, etc.

Come on out, even for part of the run!

Mark
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    ... to the south. But then again, it wouldn't be a 48hr Tri-State event, now would it? :D
    How about an extended 48hrs of Subaru?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    ...starts today. Anyone up for it? Juice? Loosh? Anyone else? Last year it was much better than in the past, now that it's scheduled after the Detroit show.

http://www.washingtonautoshow.com/

Bob
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    not likely, Bob. too much happening on the domestic front this weekend. :(
    Just asked you in Future Models.

We're planning on going on Sunday, wanna join us?

We might bore you a bit, with family test-fitting of several different models.

-juice
    I was kinda hoping to go maybe Friday. The crowds will be crazy on Sunday. Let me think about it...

Bob
    I think I may go tomorrow (Thursday). I've got two meetings in DC, which should wrap up around 2:00. Since I'm going to be already in DC, I might as well go then.

Besides, it sounds like you and Lana may really want to focus on what you need, and you don't need me tagging along.

Bob
    Let me know how you like it. If it's lame I may just stay home.

-juice
    Go!

Many of the new cars shown at Detroit were there. Chevy Volt, Camaro, Malibu; Mitsubishi Lancer; Ford Interceptor, Airstream, '08 Super-Duty, 2-mode Edge hybrid; Toyota Tundra; Audi R8; Jeep Patriot; Volvo C30, XC60 concept; Honda Civic Si sedan; new Mini; and I'm sure there were a bunch more, but that's all I can recall at the moment.

The DC show reminded me of a mini Detroit show. Definitely go!

Bob
    OK, sweet, just the motivation I needed. We'll be there on Sunday.

-juice
    A couple of more there: Chrysler Nassau concept and BMW 3-series folding hardtop.

Nothing new, nor any new "news" at the Subie booth. :(

Bob
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    After "once" making the mistake of going to the Atlanta auto show at mid-day on a Saturday, I learned my lesson... The place was one seething mass of humanity!

Now I make time to go during a weekday when you can take your time and have the place to yourself (relatively speaking of course) :)

-Frank
    I hear you, but the kids have school. I would have taken them on Monday (school was out for our county only), but it didn't open 'til Wednesday.

They have to go - we're test fitting a family car and I want input from everyone. Too bad I can't take the dog!

-juice
    Truer words were never spoken Frank. Thursday afternoon was a pure joy seeing this show.

All I can say juice is good luck, and have a good stiff drink when you get home. :)

Bob
    Yup, I did the NY Boat show this year and last year on NYE, it was well worth it. Even though the show closed early, we were able to breeze through since no one was there!

-mike
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    I hear you, but the kids have school. I would have taken them on Monday (school was out for our county only), but it didn't open 'til Wednesday.

They have to go - we're test fitting a family car and I want input from everyone. Too bad I can't take the cat!

fixed :)
    lol, lucien. :D

Dogs love trucks (one of my fave advertising lines). Cat-like dogs love... Subarus?
    LOL!

Enjoyed the show, though it was very hectic and VERY crowded. Food costs a fortune and was only sparsely available.

Kids had a great time.

Charlie went straight to the bright yellow Ferrari F430. I guess he doesn't mess around. :shades:

Tatiana fell in love with the Ford Airstream concept, the silver one with the glowing orage window surrounds. :D

We test fitted several big SUVs and vans, and came away pretty much with the same list we entered with - Tribeca, Sienna, and Entourage/Sedona.

Wifey also like the XL7, though more than I did. I saw some cheap parts and the price isn't really cheap once you equip it properly.

Before we left we saw a Grand Caravan on fitzmall for $20.6k with power sliding doors and tailgate, but after the show I realized it has several key downsides:

* rear windows don't open
    * no side curtain air bags on that model
    * crash tests scores are dismal even with those

It's funny, you look at the Sienna and Entourage back-to-back, honestly, and objectively the Hyundai is completely on par with the Toyota, even better in some ways.

Still waffling on the CPO Tribeca, or a new Entourage, or a new or CPO Sienna 8 passenger.

The problem with Toyota is SHEESH do they get expensive when you equip them. :sick:

-juice
    Did you check out the Mazda CX9? The rear seat is fairly roomy; better than the Tribeca.

Bob
    Took a look, but we didn't like it that much, neither of us actually. Can't remember why, we saw so cars many back-to-back.

With $1000 Subaru Bucks and a not-so-good first impression on the CX9, it's not even on our short list. Sort of disappointing.

Let's move the discussion to the Cafe since the show wrapped up.

-juice
    That's right folks, it's that time of the year again, when we all break out of the winter blues of no car shows, no auto-x, no road racing, no drag strips and head out on the open highway for a good cause. This is the 7th Annual running where a group of Subaru enthusiasts from all over the TriState area take a 3 day long trip covering about 48hrs of driving overall from the sand down in the Pine Barrens of NJ to the wintery snow of the Adirondacks.

This year we are planning on about 900 miles of highways, backroads and no roads with dinners and partys every night. We also will be visiting SOA headquarters in Cherry Hill, NJ. Last year we raised over $6,000 for the American Cancer Society from pledges that the participants gathered! Our goal this year is to raise over $7,000 for ACS.

The trip will start with a dinner kickoff in Cherry Hill, NJ on Thurs Night Jan 31, 2008. We will continue on Friday morning with a visit to Subaru of America Headquarters and then the drive will take our Subies through the sandy Pine Barrens of NJ and then up through Northern NJ and on to Cooperstown, NY.

From there, we'll continue on backroads through the Adirondacks on Saturday with a Catered Dinner Party in Lake George, NY. Sunday will be a liesurely drive from the Adirondacks toward Newburgh, NY.

All kinds of Subies are welcome on this trip. We've had XT6s, GLs, DLs, Legacies, Brats, you name it!

Several companies also have provided us with door prizes for those participating! In past years we've had $100s and $100s worth of door prizes!

The important info:
    What: Group drive to raise money for ACS and have a fun 900+ mile trip along the way.
    Where: Starts in Cherry Hill, NJ and continues throughout NJ and NY with stops to Cooperstown, NY the Adirondacks, Lake George and New Paltz, NY
    When: Jan 31- Feb 3, 2008
    More info: http://48hrs.info and
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1373935

There are pics and writeups from previous events and a registration page.
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    Mike,
    One of these years, I'll make it...Michael and I will be up in Jersey from 12/25 - 1/4, which is during our winter break...I hope to be up north permanently in a year or two.
    Cool Cool, would love to have you back in the area. Also once you get back you'll definitely be able to attend as we've done in annually for 7 years running and likely will not stop anytime soon. :)

-mike
    As Mike mentioned this is the 7th Drive that we are doing, and once again I'll be going along as well. It's a fun time hooking up with people that I usually see at this event each year, driving all over the place, and raising $$ for the American Cancer Society at the same time. Last year we were able to get into SOA headquarters, and this year the event is jumping off from there. We have people participating who come from New Hampshire down to Delaware, as well as upstate NY, PA, and NJ.

It is a lot of fun, with people in all Subarus; not just the WRX either. We have Foresters ( 2 or 3), Legacy GT wagon, and me in an Outback. For anyone in the area it is a lot of fun, so come on out and join us.

Mark
    That's right folks, it's that time of the year again, when we all break out of the winter blues of no car shows, no auto-x, no road racing, no drag strips and head out on the open highway for a good cause. This is the 8th Annual running where a group of Subaru enthusiasts from all over the TriState area take a 3 day long trip covering about 48hrs of driving overall from Subaru Headquarters in NJ to the wintery snow of the Adirondacks.

This year we are planning on about 900 miles of highways, backroads and no roads with dinners and partys every night. We also will be visiting SOA headquarters in Cherry Hill, NJ we will also be visiting Subaru Distributors Corp, the company that distributed most of our cars, and Vermont Sports Car where they build rally cars for SOA. Last year we raised over $13,000 for the American Cancer Society from pledges that the participants gathered and SOA's matching donations! Our goal this year is to raise over $8,000 for ACS.

The trip will start with a dinner kickoff in Cherry Hill, NJ on Thurs Night Jan 15, 2008. We will continue on Friday morning with a visit to Subaru of America Headquarters for breakfast and then the drive will take our Subies up to SDC Headquarters for a catered lunch.

Friday night we end in Burlington, VT. Saturday morning we have a tour of Vermont Sports Car planned, a treat for any Rally fans out there. Sat night after cruising the Northern Adirondacks we will end up at Dunham's Bay Resort in Lake George for our Raffle Banquet. Sunday will take us down through central NYS ending at our closing dinner meet in Scranton, PA

All kinds of Subies are welcome on this trip. We've had XT6s, GLs, DLs, Legacies, Brats, you name it!

Several companies also have provided us with door prizes for those participating! In past years we've had $1000s and $1000s worth of raffle prizes!

The important info:
    What: Group drive to raise money for ACS and have a fun 900+ mile trip along the way.
    Where: Starts in Cherry Hill, NJ and continues throughout NJ and NY with stops in Burlington, VT the Adirondacks, Lake George and Scranton, PA
    When: Jan 15- Jan 18, 2009
    More info: 48hrs of Tristate

Highlights….
    o Tour of VT Sports Car facility, where they build the Subaru Rally Cars (Awaiting Official Confirmation)
    o SPT will have the SEMA Forester XTI and Rescue Vehicles on hand at SOA for us to check out for ourselves
    o Biggest, Best Raffle Banquet
    o SDC will be giving away in excess of $4,000 in prizes this year!
    o Catered Breakfast at SOA and possibly a tour of the Subaru Museum of Cars
    o Catered Lunch at SDC

I'll be in Florida for a family reunion (my dad turns 70) but sounds like a good time! I'd love to see those 2 concepts. :shades:
    Sorry to hear that Juice. They are setting up a huge tent with a bunch of the Subaru Car Museum vehicles as well for us!

You can help out by donating or getting folks to donate on our ACS web page. So far our goal is $8,000 for the 8th Annual Run, SOA will match up to $7,000 so if we meet our goal we will have raised $15,000 for The American Cancer Society.

Spread the word to all your subaru friends and neigbors near and far!

http://48hrs.info

-mike
    Juice and I will be driving up on Friday, April 17 to see the show. Anyone else game? Charlie, I know you were asking...

The new 2010 Legacy will be there, and there are supposed to be cars on the floor to sit in and examine.

Bob
  • css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    Thanks,
    As of now I'll be there -
    What time - 11-12 ish??

Charlie
    No, more like 1 or 2. Juice said he's coming by my place between 8 and 9, and it's a 4-hour drive from there.

Bob
    Bad math on my part. We should be there between 12 and 1—if juce doesn't oversleep. :P

Bob
    zzzzzz - HUH? :P
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    I'd like to go with you but since I'm still getting settled in, it's probably a bit soon to be taking a day off from work.

-Frank
    ...but there's plenty of room for the 3 of us in your SLK- um, I mean there's plenty of room for the 3 of us in my MX-5- oops, uh, never mind. :D
    Hey... there really is plenty of room in my WRX.

BTW, I just purchased my ticket online.

Bob
    Link? Is there a discount for advance purchases?
    http://www.autoshowny.com/tickets

No discount. Just don't have to wait in line.

Bob
    OK, I just printed my ticket as well.

We'll only have about 5 hours or so and there are lots of new cars I haven't seen.
    Are things back to normal at work now?

Bob
    Sort of. We replaced about 160 computers. That part is done, but now we have to support Vista and Office 2007, which is new to all the users, and not nearly as intuitive as upgrading on a Mac.

Still busy, but I can take a day off. I need it!
    Hi Bob,

Things have come up that may prevent me from going to the show. I will certainly be pushing it to be there by 1PM. I'd like to see you guys but I won't know until late morning.

AJ - I still have your cell # from two years ago - Is it the same??

If I'm there it will be before you leave Subaru.

Thanks
    Charlie
    We're hoping to be there by 1, but it may be a little later, as we're making a really quick side trip to the Philly area first. Need to pop a new fog light shroud on my son's Outback Sport.

Bob
    Same number, yes, ends in AJAJ.
    Hi,

If I go I'll call you when I get there

Thanks
    Good to see you again, Charles. Sorry we got there a bit late.

Now we count down to see which model you lease next - another Tribeca or an Outback this time around... :shades: