Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members

Comments

• fvkllrfvkllr Member Posts: 26
    I drive the outback on the beach almost every weekend. Now with the Fall Striper (Striped Bass) run in full effect, I will be out there even more!! I do have some pictures. As soon as I can get them scanned, I'll send some to you. The outback does just fine on the beach. Every time I'm out there, invariably someone has to come up and ask how the sube is on the beach. It is a head turner (I say beacause the OB is so stylish looking), but more likely because no one has ever seen one on the beach. I just wish that I had a full size spare.
  • miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    sunroofs. But grammar is actually Lucien's department; I'm Dr. Thesaurus ;)

..Mike

..Mike

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Ah, I love Rock. Yummy!

If you share photos, I'll be happy to post them.

If you're frying rock, guess who's coming for dinner? ;)

Mike: true story - I once wrote "Grammer" on the front cover of my Grammar book. The teacher almost had me for lunch!

Time for some news. Subaru sales are up 13.5% this year (through August).

Also, I saw a photo of the Aztec interior in Automotive News. Almost as scary as the outside. I hate the eyeball vents, and those cheap gray buttons are everywhere!

More on the Aztec, for Kate: Rosie O'Donnell bought 5 Aztecs for each of the survivors that didn't win the million, as well as one for herself. She also bought a bag of rice for Richard Hatch, who got the million and an Aztec for winning.

I wonder what he'll be using that bag for...?

-juice
  • fvkllrfvkllr Member Posts: 26
    I forgot that's what you call them down your ways. Definitely a great eating fish! I mostly catch and release, but I do keep one or two every year to eat.
    How 'bout releasing those bad boys into my frying pan? Those are good eatin'!

Patti: please congratulate Sheila Galluci-Davis, VP of SoA, for being recognized by Automotive News as one of the 100 Leading Women in the North American Auto Industry.

-juice
  • aussierooaussieroo Member Posts: 78
    Patti
    Are the looking for a DBA? I'm not cheap but can be bought!!!

See Y'all next week folks I'm off on a four day beach side camping trip. About 20kms south of Stockton. No soft-roading unfortunately. If you are all good while I'm away I might post some pics.

Gus
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    It's great to recommend the H6 to those asking whether they should wait or buy the B4,... BUT. Let's not lose sight of the fact that from what we've all read here, Subaru is recommending use of very much more expensive premium grade fuel in the H6 in order to achieve optimum performance. That's on top of the extra thirstiness of two more cylinders and the extra weight involved.

A bit more horsepower is nice, but have you checked those prices on the gas pumps recently?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Not just suggest it.

I still want to know the towing capacity of the H6, I'd imagine it to be similar to the current vehicles cause I think the chassis limits the towing more than the engine.

-mike
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    A bit more horsepower is nice, but have you
    checked those prices on the gas pumps recently?

You bet I have! My 2.5RS runs better on premium, so premium it gets. If you drive 15,000 miles per year (I do) and get an overall 22MPG (I do) and premium is 14 cents per gallon more than regular (it is), then you'll pay $95 more per year to use premium.

That's chump change to me.

-Colin
  • amishraamishra Member Posts: 367
    Kate, LOL over those Aztek stories. I just about fell over laughing about the guy getting divorced!

-- ash
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    *chuckle* where do you work again? :)
    As some of you know,I am going to performance driving school for two days in October, which is why I can't make the alleged Fall foliage tour. The class is sponsored by BMW CCA. BMW drivers being who they are, they show up to these things in BMW hats, BMW jackets, BMW t-shirts, BMW underwear, prolly. i am the only member of the CCA without a BMW. I joined for the classes ;-)

And now it will be 24 BMWs. And one Scoob.
    I NEED SCOOBY CLOTHES. I got a hat (Thanks, darlene and Juice), but some kind of cool T-shirt or other shirt would be great. ANY IDEAS?
    Have a good time, Gus.

Barry: premium isn't *required*, though.

It's the same with my wife's car, which runs fine on 87 octane. We actually got clogged fuel injectors running on premium! Doh!

Colin makes a good point. Fuel is still only a fraction of the overall operating costs.

That's right, though, he's an oil man! It's a conspiracy! :o)

paisan: I'm also interested in tow ratings, but my guess is it'll stay the same since they're pretty conservative. The 2001 has bigger brakes, though, so that plus the H6 could probably handle more.

Loosh: yes, plenty. You could call Garry Grimes and try to get an SCOA T-shirt, or Jeff from i Club who printed T-shirts and sells them to the boys from the Mid Atlantic region (sorry, no # or e-mail - Mike?).

If all else fails, Subaru now carries a full line of clothing. Retail prices are a bit high, but e-mail Darlene for a quote on a few items. They have T-shirts, polo shirts, fleece jackets, oxfords, you name it.

Finally, you could always hit the LL Bean store at Tysons and pick something up there. That's kind of an inside thing, but they'll get it.

-juice

PS If you want to swing by, you can also borrow my Subaru fanny-pack (I had it at the Rocks) and my Subaru Outback Koala bear (both from the Subaru catalog)
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I was away yesterday and have a lot of catching up to do. Anyway, Beans installed new LR bearing, housing and spindle and covered the 2-day rental Sable. My thanks to Patti and Susan for following through on this - I just hope that this one doesn't fail for at least 50-60K miles. Thanks also to Darlene for bringing the issue to our attention.

Will touch base with you, Patti, re the rest of the story. Thanks again - you're restoring my faith in Subaru and that goes a long way towards developing repeat ownership.

Scooby clothes? I bought a Subaru World Rally Team cap and polarfleece jacket from the UK. Visit their store at http://www.swrt.com. A bit pricey with shipping to the US, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in my neighborhood with them. The cap is a bit snug and looks more like a cricket cap than a baseball cap. The fleece jacket is great - lined to block wind and with a little reflectorized stripe across the chest below the SWRT logo. I probably should've waited till I went to the UK to get them, but I wasn't sure I was definitely going until a couple of weeks ago. I'd love to have a SWRT window decal - the cling type like the old "Fahrvergnugen" they stuck in the window of my Jetta.

Now I have to sort out the logistics of going to Road Atlanta!

Ed
    Um, bro, don't you think yer takin this "out O retail" thing a bit far? ;) There's the Coventry City Football Club jersey emblazoned with SUBARU, though it's £39.99 (58.43 USD) and might not get here in time. I bought a T with a great picture of the WRC in the dirt from Jeff Levine (Riotsquad on i Club) at the Dave & Buster's meet. It's an XL, so might be too big for you. I haven't worn it; it's yours for the $10 I paid. It's a very nice graphic. The shirt, ahem, isn't official, it's, well, how can I put this delicately, a bootleg.

..Mike

..Mike

Another thing - I have a spare SCOA decal (very subtle) if you'd like it.

That plus plenty of not-so-subtle SPT stickers. And each one adds at least 5 horsepower!

Heck, come to think of it, I have a HUGE "Subaru - the Beauty of All Wheel Drive" poster, about the size of your rear hatch, if you really want to make an impression!

-juice

PS OK, no jokes about my obsessive compulsiveness!
    Mike - isn't there an i Club event in October? I'd like one of those T-shirts.

Is anyone actually surprised?

-juice
    I seem to remember some talk on the Mid-Atlantic forum of i Club. I noticed you haven't exactly been a stranger over there. Jeff moved/is moving to FL in the next few days. I'll email you his address.

..Mike

..Mike

That's a bummer. Jeff was really active, and rallied up the contingent for several meets.

-juice
    i have SCOA decals already, but would love a SPT decal to add hp to my snorkus-echtomy cardboard plug. I'll email address.

Mike-

Sold, that sounds like a kewl shirt anyway, even if oct 21 is too cold for a T-Shirt. How do you want to hook up? Never mind, we'll swap mail addresses and I'll send you a check. Email me.
  • francophilefrancophile Member Posts: 667
    We don't have no subie clothes.
    We don't need no steenkeeng subie clothes!
    [whips out car keys]
    [whips Bimmers on track]

Beat their butts on the track, that'll take care of any perceived clothing deficiencies :-)

Best,
    WDB
  • gtdrivergtdriver Member Posts: 67
    I agree that the current Maxima being fugly; I said in my post that the 89-92 models were the best looking. I don't remember reading about 6.7 second 0-60 times (maybe one per clutch). I thought they were more like high 7's. Beastly or not, the new 227 hp 20th anniversary SE is going to post lower acceleration times than its 190 hp predecessor. The handling numbers might be better, too, but I'm just guessing.
    The thing that eliminated any chance of considering the Maxima is that they apparently don't build cars to order, and it's virtually impossible to get an SE with TC without being forced to buy every other option pack. This puts the sticker near $30k.
    But there's no point in discussing or arguing about Maximas when we all love Subarus on this board. Besides, the last guy who called himself "Juice" ended up killing people when he got argumentative. Your nickname is almost synonymous with "Ripper" or "Strangler" in that regard.

Lucien: The more Sube stuff you wear, the sillier you will seem to the BMW-driving RWD purists. You'll look like Spike Lee at a Knicks-Lakers game in L.A. to them. If you're outnumbered 24-to-1, let your driving do the talking, especially if the track gets wet.
  • tomshadletomshadle Member Posts: 11
    Thanks to everyone for your input - on BOTH sides of the debate.
    Juice - the OBX photos are great. Thanks for sharing those. I'll look for your green Forester next time I'm down there. My wife & I can usually make it from S. PA in about 7 or 8 hr.
    At this time I'm leaning toward the H6 because even with the extra weight it should get better MPG than the SUV hog I'm driving now. The 8/18 Canadian Driver article says premium is recommended (as Juice noted.)but that the H6 will run on regular losing 5 HP down to 207(What about torque & MPG?).
    The H4 would be better for purely mileage & gas cost benefits.
    The L.L. Bean is kind of a sleeper deal but I don't want to be the company's billboard, as talked about previously.
    Will watch for more H6 info. Thanks again.
  • yellowbikedonyellowbikedon Member Posts: 228
    Tom,

Don't rule out the L.L. Bean model. From everything I've been told here on this board (Patti, Mike Smith) and from my local dealer who's driven the wagon, the identification with L.L. Bean is very tastefully done. If these sourses are correct (and they usually are), you won't be a company billboard!

Now, for the exclaimer!!! I've placed an order for a white one. I think the model is a real value.

Don
    Don, you finally came out of the closet! Yes, the L.L. Bean badging is unobtrusive and tasteful.

..Mike

One catch with the SPT stickers - they're not vinyl, so they don't last long when exposed to the elements (like a hot engine bay, for example). Long enough for a BMW event, though!

WDB: no Soob paraphernalia? That's because you moved away from our coast! Looks like we have an East Coast/West Coast rivalry going? ;)

Oh c'mon, GT. I haven't resorted to violence since the old CR-V vs. Forester threads!

Kidding, folks.

Tom: there are rumors of the next Impreza having VVT and 185hp for its 2.5l. If the base Outbacks get that engine, you may find the H4 adequate. But that would be the 2002 models, possibly later.

Patti: yes, please, we all want that engine I'm sure! Also make sure it runs on 87 octane for us poor folk!

Back to Tom: if it loses 5hp at very high rpm, it'll probably lose a bit less torque at 4400rpm, maybe 2-3 lb-ft. Mileage ought to be similar, 87 octane doesn't contain any less energy than 93, it's just less prone to pre-detonation.

I hope to try one out soon, and if I do I'll certainly post a full review of the H6!

-juice
  • amishraamishra Member Posts: 367
    We do have subaru clothes in Canada too...
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Hey gang- On my recent trip to the OBX (11 hr drive), I tried Kate's tip about taking advantage of the heated seat function to relieve sore muscles (the gluteus ones to be more specific). I turned on the heat for the last couple of hours and it helped a lot. I used the high setting, which warms your bum up to a nice toasty level before cutting off to cool down. FYI: if left on, it will continuously cycle on, cool down, and then warm again. However, I did notice that the driver's seat cycled about 3 times more often than the passenger's seat. Any ideas why?

-Frank P.
  • barresa11barresa11 Member Posts: 277
    Maybe the driver had a bigger bum than the passenger? :-) Sorry....couldn't resist..no offense!

Stephen
    LOL, Stephen! I don't think Frank appreciates you looking at his wife's bum!

..Mike

..Mike

Frank: maybe your body temp is naturally higher than hers. My wife is a portable oven!

Allright, no more heated seats talk, or I'll have to call Darlene to see if I can retrofit...

Boy, it never ends does it?

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Don't think those thoughts didn't occur to me. However, difference in the heat cycle seems to remain constant, regardless of who is driving.

Juice- I'm just happy I found a use for heated seats since Atlanta isn't exactly in the snow belt.

-Frank P.
    well I wasn't gonna go crazy, dig? Just a little something....
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Let's see how much more stuff we can get Juice to add to Sandy... :)
    Frank - too bad, we could've swapped seats! I've done crazier things, ya know?

tincup: too late, I beat you to it. A 18mm rear anti-sway bar is in the mail.

I'm always open for suggestions, though!

-juice
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    Hmmmm- Great company, great benefits, company car (you pick out of what we have at the Mgmt. level) contact me please. PMickel@Subaru.com
    Call me and I'll clear my calendar - promise. Lunch will be on me and I'll take you on a tour!! Sorry we couldn't meet up when you were in the area. Crazy week with meetings!!!
    and I have been assured I'll have information next week! When I know, you'll know!!
    Well, from what I've found out so far, the H-6 and Bean car come with a donut. I spoke to the "powers that be" about it and they think a full size may fit. They will let me know and, of course, I'll let you know!!!
    I'm forwarding everything to our Product Planning group. I gather all of the information and send it on up. While I cannot share my opinions with you, I've been stressing the issues you want stressed. I'm here, but because of time constraints, I can't assure everyone on every suggestion. NOTE: I'm loving every minute of this!!
    Kate - while I can't comment on the comments about other manufacturers, please know that you are making me laugh on a regular basis. Keep it up!!!

Note however, it can be difficult for me to "handle" each concern sent to me. I can make sure that the right folks get involved with your issues, but please, call the 800 number to get a case started (1-800-SUBARU3). The Reps. are great and really want to help. They will need to know what your dealer has said, so have the dealer check out any concerns first or during the problem.

This has turned out to be one of my most rewarding and fun aspects of working at Subaru. I do not want to let ANYONE down, but, I may need some help from you.

You may hear the term "The Subaru Difference" coming from your dealers and others in the near future. We are very committed to your satisfaction and have a lot in the works to help make your experience better.

I hope to continue to satisfy everyone of you here, because you really are important to us. Sometimes, though, I know it is not enough. Bear with us through this process and I think you'll end up okay!!
    We're loving it too! I will definitely make another trip up, probably for a short shifter, in the near future. Actually, I think Kirsten might want to come after hearing about Rallispec. Either way, I will surely take you up on your offer!!

Nice lobby, BTW, and pretty good pie over at King of Pizza, at least as far as by-the-slice goes.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    We enjoy having you onboard too. I just hope some (actually all!) of our suggestions make it into production. The sooner the better!

Bob
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    Patti - I would like to reiterate that I find some level of comfort in the knowledge that a rep. from SOA is taking a direct interest in, and participates in, this user group. Although I haven't had the occasion to call upon you, it's nice to know that I "have an ace up my sleeve" if it ever becomes necessary.

Juice - You have let me down! No heated seats? Man, what the heck are you thinking about? They're the best thing since sliced bread. An absolute "gotta have". Get on the stick bud! Man, it's like finding out Superman doesn't have X-ray vision :))
    ..are popular in TX. Know why? Down there they are marketed as "back warmers" in case your back gets sore driving those long distances (!). Wonder how the dealer justifies the heated mirrors and other stuff that gpoes with "cold weather" packages...
  • FrankMcFrankMc Member Posts: 228
    that Patti has been a tremendous asset to this board, and I hope that we (the board participants) will do everything possible to make sure that we help out Patti so it doesn't become overwhealming to her.

Frank
    Loosh - let me know next time you ride up to Rallispec. It would be cool to check it out.

Hop over to Mods to talk about the shifter.

X-ray vision? I'd settle for Lasik so I can get rid of these contacts!

It's almost a shame Sandy is so reliable. Almost.

-juice
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    Ken, as mentioned in my previous message, here is the press release: http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/about/press/cnetandedmunds.html

Also, here's another about Edmunds teaming up with Sprint: http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/about/press/edmundsandsprint.html

Both look promising! Enjoy!
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    in the Wheels section of today's Vancouver Sun. Half of the very positive article was about the H6 wagons. The only problem that they mentioned, and has been discussed here, is the high price of the VDC wagon. It is about CDN$4K more than for the VDC + admittedly superb McIntosh audio system.

BTW, the article mentioned that Subaru believes that the H6 engine is as smooth as the BMW I6 engine. I think that would actually be a fair statement, although the I6 just feels and sounds different.

Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
    Can't wait to drive one and find out for myself.

Boxers usually growl, in-line 6's tend to be smooth and quiet (though there are packaging trade-offs). We'll see.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.