Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members

Comments

• miksmimiksmi Silver Spring, MDPosts: 1,246
    GT power: Whoever said the GT has plenty of
    power, obviously never packed it with 5 guys,
    camping gear for a weekend and a 2000lb trailer. Mike (paisan)

You wanted to load up all that stuff and not only move it, but have it go like a race car too? I don't think anyone here is shocked that you were disappointed. If someone said the GT had plenty of power, then it had plenty of power for their purposes, not yours. Dave (2ndwnd)

True, true. Power definitely is a matter of personal taste (just like the gold accents on the OB Ltd, and I'm not revealing my opinion of them ;) Same with colors and cloth/leather seats. It's good to hear from Mike (and others) that don't find the power adequate, as it brings it too the attention to those evaluating a Sube and who might of otherwise not paid attention to it. No one wants to make an expensive purchase, only to be disappointed with something they overlooked (though caveat emptor). Definitely makes for sour grapes.

IMO the 00 GT wagon power (w/5MT) is more than adequate, but then again I'm close to sea level and haul light loads (2 adults + 2 young children). It's funny, because my wife and I even called our 91 L "der sportsvagen" because we thought it had a lot of get up and go. The 00 has a surprising amount of low-end torque for a small engine (2.5l H-4) on a portly (3,440lbs) wagon.

Mike, you drove an automatic, yes? Going up a hill, I didn't care for the lurch when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd (in an OB wagon), but I know others that don't mind this. I recently test drove a Passat 4Motion sedan (V6 so not a true comparison); by comparison, it downshift very smoothly.

..Mike

..Mike

• peterson10peterson10 Posts: 116
    After six months I finally got around to installing the rear gate bar on my '00 Outback and have a few complaints/comments/questions.

Firstly, the template provided is inaccurate. If you drill where the template indicates, your holes will be 3/8 of an inch further appart than they should be (28" on center to be precise). Its also worth noting that the illustrations provided depict the pre-2000 model. BTW, I did check the parts number before I started and, yes, this is the proper part for the 2000 MY.

Secondly, The inside of the rear hatch (with trim removed) has no openings to assist in installing this part. I had to weasle my arm into the nearest cut-out and do my best not to swear up a storm in front of my daughter. After alot of fumbling, I did manage to attach the washers and nuts as instructed.

Finally, in the light of day I can see that the rear hatch's sheet metal is slightly distorted where the bar attaches. Obviously, this is because the angle of the bar and the hatch are not identical. Its not (at the moment) hideously obvious, but its clearly not right and I intend to find a remedy.

Now some questions: Has anyone else installed the rear gate bar themselves? Has anyone with "the bar" taken a close look at the rear hatch and noticed the aforementioned distortion (it should be most obvious on darker cars; mine, fortunately, is white)?

Despite the problems, the gate bar is an incredible convenience and I'm not sorry I have one (I just wish it was designed better).

Thanks all,
    yet another Dave
    You're welcome. I thought someone would appreciate them and looks like a few did. Heading to OBX (Outer Banks, NC) this Sunday (w/your Samsonite roof cargo carrier -- thanks!), so no posts from me from 2-9 July (I'm not as dedicated as WDB). There should only be 5-600 posts to wade through when I return.

..Mike

..Mike

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    GTDriver: imagine how I LOL when I read "Aunt Gladys". I HAVE an aunt Gladys! She drivers my cousin's '99 Outback when she's in town, too!

What I think would be best is to offer limited edition stripped models for those that race. The thing is, most people do want the moonroof and power windows and such, so from SoA's point of view I can understand why such features are made standard in premium models.

So how about a few hundred "Rally Sport" models, similar to the RS America 911 models Porsche sold. Delete the moonroof, power windows, locks, mirrors, A/C, stereo, and anything else that adds weight that isn't totally necessary. Like the back seat.

You could even do as Ford did with the Cobra R and only sell it to folks with SCCA licenses. I'm serious, BTW.

Ross: send me photos of the new Soob for my site? If you get it to me soon, I'll have a new page up today.

120mph? 32.7mpg? Way to go, WDB.

Anyone else see Autoweek's Autofile on the Legacy GT? Their 5 speed reached 60 in 8.7 seconds, and managed over 22mpg while in their enthusiast hands. They criticized the brake feel and asked for more power, but they did say the handling felt "BMW-ish". Pretty sweet.

Nice to hear Patti's history. Sounds like we got the right person :)

-juice
    Mike: I'll be gone from July 1 to 6 also, so it'll probably be more like 2-300 posts!

:o)

-juice
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Posts: 1,676
    Sorry, I was really busy this weekend, Lucien! Here is a copy of the press release!

SUBARU INTRODUCES 'SPT' PERFORMANCE PARTS LINE
    -- New Subaru Performance Tuning Line Designed for Enthusiasts --

CHERRY HILL, N.J., June 21, 2000 -- Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA), a pioneer of crossover all-wheel drive vehicles designed for the active lifestyle, has developed an exciting line of Subaru Performance Tuning (SPT) parts and accessories for Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS owners and enthusiasts. The new additions to the line of Genuine Subaru Performance Parts are currently available from authorized Subaru dealers and are featured in an updated Impreza 2.5 RS Performance Parts brochure (MA6M0013) as well as at www.subaru.com.

Engineered to enhance the performance and look of Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS models, the new SPT offerings enable owners to personalize their vehicles with quality parts developed specifically for Subaru vehicles. Subaru Performance Tuning parts are designed to enhance driving pleasure without sacrificing quality and reliability. The SPT menu includes an STi-developed short-throw shifter for crisper gear changes, an STi carbon fiber strut tower brace for additional stiffness and quicker steering response, a performance muffler and intermediate pipe for a throaty exhaust note, and more.

"Impreza 2.5 RS has a distinguished, rally-winning pedigree. Import enthusiasts recognize Impreza 2.5 RS as an agile performance car with the confidence-inspiring benefit of all-wheel drive," says Subaru Parts & Accessories Marketing Manager, Bruce Barker. "Now enthusiasts can enhance the performance, handling and looks of their Impreza 2.5 RS with quality parts engineered specifically for their vehicles."

- more -

Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS combines rival-beating power and versatility with a feature simply unavailable from any other car in its class -- all-wheel drive. Available in either coupe or sedan offerings, the 2.5 RS models deliver a powerful punch from a 2.5-liter, 165-horsepower engine to take on the Acura Integra GS-R and Honda Civic Si. Additionally, Impreza 2.5 RS was selected as one of Sport Compact Car magazine's "Eight Great Rides" for 1998, 1999 and 2000.

The comprehensive line of SPT performance parts includes:

 Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Brace  Carbon Fiber Shift Knob/Brake Handle
     Steel Strut Tower Brace  Carbon Fiber Center Panel Trim Kit
     Performance Gauge Package  Front End Cover
     Performance Muffler and Intermediate Pipe  Leather Seats
     Short-Throw Shifter  SPT Decals
     Rear Differential Protector  Impreza 2.5 RS Carpeted Floor Covers
     Machined Titanium Shift Knob

Subaru will expand the current line of SPT offerings in the very near future.

About Subaru of America, Inc.

Subaru of America, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. of Japan. Headquartered near Philadelphia, the company markets and distributes Subaru vehicles, parts and accessories through a network of 590 franchised dealers across the United States. All Legacy and Outback models sold in the U.S are produced at the company’s American manufacturing plant, Subaru-Isuzu Automotive, Inc., near Lafayette, Ind.

Over the past eight years, the company has nearly tripled its revenues and seen its sales increase by nearly 100 percent thanks to its popular line of car-based sport utility vehicles. The company is among the fastest growing brands in the automobile industry and was recently named “Most Improved Car Company in the World” by the London-based Financial Times Automotive World Magazine.
  • lucien2lucien2 Posts: 2,984
    Patti-

Thanks. Actually, someone posted the URL to that release on the SoA site over the weekend. I do hope us Legacy owners aren't forgotten by SPT.

Juice-

Did you notice how many Gt owners in the second half of that article grumbled for the H6? I get the sense SoA is going to be in a funny spot for MY '01 and '02. Market forces dictate that the Outback should be the focus (even though I have one, I kind of wish for a GT wagon). Volvo's XC is one example of the competition, but even Audi is redirecting its energies out of the Avant series and into the allroad. On the other hand, there is a growing demand for sportwagons, which Saab and BMW have certainly nosticed, although only BMW is talking openly about making a 323ix wagon available here, which would join the Avant as the two main awd sport wagon offerings. Here is where an H6 GT Wagon could really compete, since VW has decided not to offer 5 speeds on the 4Motion Passat. But the big sales numbers will continue to be in the psuedo-V segment. Drat.

On an unrelated note, I traded off my brother's '91 Celica GT4 in Grand Tourismo and used the credits to pick up a Legacy GT wagon with the 2.0 litre turbo. Unfortunately, I am getting cooked in every race I enter, since it qualifies as a class "A" ('vette, Skyline GT-R etc), but really doesn't have the shovel to keep up. I am stunned that the video game version of this car has a big step up from 1st to 2nd, just like the real thing. Waiting for the revs to fall back enough for the synchros to catch is like an eternity (both on the screen and on the street, at leaston my OB) 'kay, I'll reserve future Vid game talk for the RS board.
  • aakersonaakerson Posts: 71
    Just picked up a new wintergreen Outback Saturday to replace an older Outback. In addition, my wife also has a 2000 Outback.

Question about the seat warmers -- in neither the one I bought, nor a Limited I test-drove did the seat warmers feel like they were getting warm at all. My wife reports that in her 2K Outback they do indeed get hot even in hot weather, that they are warm to the touch.

Does Subaru leave out the seat-warmer fuse until you buy the car? Is there another explanation? Or do I just need to get it fixed.

This is my 3rd Subaru, the fifth for my wife and I, and as usual, we love it. I'm nearly 6'4" and it has all the head room and leg room I want -- something I cannot say for my Acura 3.2 TL, or a recently departed BMW 528i. Also, it is a whole lot quieter and smoother than its predecessor. Both by the way are 5-speeds -- so no problems with acceleration.
    Beth: Darlene got back to me, and sure enough her price beats subaruparts.com. It's $92.78 delivered for the Forester's cargo cover, $97.45 for the Outback while we're at it.

Lucien: that was me :)

I think the H6 in the Outback is a good thing, given it's an alternative for husky SUVs with bigger engines. Paisan may not have bought that Trooper, for example.

The GT could use the turbo motor, though, given its mission. Or the H6. Or, hey, how about both?

Alan: nice to hear from a repeat customer. Sounds like the dealer ought to take a look at the bun warmers. At least yours has them ;)

-juice
    I'll be gone from July 1 to 6 also, so
    it'll probably be more like 2-300 posts
    LOL -- Took me a second, but I figured it out. Dude, we've said it before but you know we think your posts are the best -- informative, timely (need to talk to your boss about this ;), and polite (and more on-topic than, ahem, mine).

Ack! The forum will be Crew Chief-less! Something tells me Sube-dom shall march onward. Guess we'll leave Bonnie and Patti in charge. Hmm juice, I don't recall seeing Bonnie's approval of your vacation (oops, or mine either).

..Mike

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,724
    <<Bob: I had mentioned that IIHS results ad earlier in another topic. It's pretty bold, but it does show there are still some independent thinkers at SoA. Way to go.>>

What's this in reference to?

Bob
  • bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Posts: 115
    Both Chiefs on vacation at the same time? Ack...Folks, promise your fearless leaders you'll be helpful to each other and they get to go away without a laptop ;-)

OBX...I'm jealous! I too love that 12 mile stretch from Ocean/Penny's Hill to the Virginia State line...

Bonnie Rick
    Conferences Manager, Town Hall
    Edmunds.com
  • amishraamishra Posts: 367
    the IIHS results ad from Subaru shows a couple of cars that didn't fare as well as the Legacy. Most are not visible, except for the last one, clearly recognizable as a "Malibu" crashing into a barrier.

Since GM is now affiliated with Subaru, there was a point raised that the ad was kind of like shooting themselves in the foot.

Especially because it ended with something like "The competition is just beating their heads into a wall."

RE: the heated seats on the OB. Indeed, the heated seats do get warm even in the summer. I sometimes use it on long trips as I find the OB seats not to be that comfortable after a long trip. (The heat helps soothe the lack of lower back support).

-- ash
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,724
    Never mind.

Bob
    Guess I'll have to take a notebook with me!

-juice

PS Two more tankfuls returned 25.64mpg and 26.73 mpg. Time to update the chart, though the average won't change much.

PPS I'm SOOBLESS! My dad's borrowed it to take my sister to college orientation. He left grinding the gears and all - ouch! At least his OBLtd will be an auto.
  • aling1aling1 Posts: 225
    Thanks for your response. I'm a little disappointed, especially since we all know that the NHTSA is notorious for dragging their feet in their investigations (which can go on for years). However, I can see why some of those drivers are complaining. I too, have been occasionally momentarily blinded by the HID lights, but only by the ones on BMWs.

For some weird reason, BMW doesn't seem to be able to design Xenon headlamps which are not glaring to oncoming drivers (they have a purplish hue to them). Strange because BMW was the first manufacturer to introduce Xenon headlamps about 10 years ago on their top of the line BMW 7-series sedan. MB followed a short while later, introducing it on their S-class flagship.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/interps/gm/94/nht94-6.32.html

Drew
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Juice,
    You are right, had the VDC been out or the GT wagon with the H6, I'd likely have that in my hands right now instead of the trooper (not that it matters cause Isuzu is basically another branch of FHI, notice they don't really compete head to head on anything) I still have my XT6, and will replace the XT6 when it dies with an SVX (if I can get ahold of one) or a WRX.

-mike
    GM is building a new vehicle based on the Legacy, but what exactly? Is this the rumored 2005 bigger SUW? How will they badge it?

Patti? I know, they probably haven't even decided yet.

-juice
    I remember your situation very well. I think you were one of the first to use the Mastercard points. I hope this note finds you well.

I have forwarded your comments on model selection, side impact air bags and the availability of the "6" on the Outback to our Product Planning department. They do pay attention to customer feedback, so we'll see!!
    Hi - I'm checking into this now. While we had heard that there may be "future model" possibilities discussed, we hadn't heard anything as specific as this. I'll let you know as soon as I get a response.
    Hi! No, it does not sound normal to have your A/C cycling like that. While I'm not a technician, my buddies here have indicated it could be something very minor (loose connection causing a leak)to something major (contamination of the refrigerant). Your dealer is the place to go on this one. They can check out the whole system, and if a leak is the concern, they can test it out with dye.
    Dingerc - you didn't indicate what your dealer said or did about this. Did an Area Representative check it out? If you are not satisfied with what the dealer said, call us at 1-800-SUBARU3. Tell the Representative that you participate in this board and that I recommended that you call. We'll do our best to have this addressed for you.
    I have not heard this as being a "characteristic". When was this last checked out by the dealer? Seems like some extra looking into is called for here. Let me know if you need my help!
    I think we will see the "6" in more models in the near future. Probably the GT first with the others to follow. You have to start somewhere, and with our new partnership with LL Bean, it seemed ideal to launch it on our LL Bean car since the timing was right. I expect we'll be hearing about this addition to other models very soon!
    Hmmmm - I have always found them to get nice and toasty! They should be fine right from the start. You may want your dealer to check them out!
    Is there a reason why Subaru designed the Legacy's 2nd row middle seatbelt to be attached from the roof rather than from the seat itself? Was it because of cost and or packaging concerns? MB, BMW, Volvo and Saab all use seat integrated 2nd row middle seatbelts for their wagons or SUVs.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
    Drew
    From what I understand, our's is mounted into the ceiling solely for safety reasons. Not only for us regular passengers, but since the rear center seat is the best location for child seats, this facilitates a more secure position. We used to have the seat integrated belts in the rear center, but we found that this to be the best for child seat and also for minimizing injuries to that center passenger.
    Well, I own an '83 On-Demand hatchback, a '90 FWD LS (both with clutches that went over 100K without replacement - even teaching someone a stick on them). Also, I happen to know that I work for a great company. One of the things I get to do is be a part of our test fleet program. Every 7,500 miles or so, I get a new car to test out. This year, I've driven both a Forester and an Outback (both auto tranny's and both on treks ranging from Vermont to Florida) and on Thursday, I get into my new car, a 2000 GT Ltd. - 5-speed. Unfortunately, I haven't driven the H6, but I'm wheedling my way into getting the chance. I'll let you know once I do.
    Patti, I think that you misunderstood the question; it was my fault, I should've been clearer. MB, BMW, Volvo and Saab wagons/SUVs have 3 point lap and should belts for all rear seat occupants, with the shoulder part anchored into the seat itself, like so:

But Subaru's rear middle seatbelt attaches all of the way into the roof (like Honda's in the Odyssey and in the Acura MD-X). I'm just curious as to why the middle belt had to be attached to the roof, rather than built into the seat itself.
    Bonnie, Is it, um, ok if I go on vacation sans laptop? ;) Boy you don't miss a trick. Apologies for not emailing you with advance notice.

I'm wheedling my way into getting the chance. Hehe Patti, can't say that I blame you. Sounds like a great perk! BTW we (wife & I) had a FWD 91 L that we sold (to our next door neighbor).

The 1st generation Legacy has a height adjustable (but not telescoping) steering wheel and a quick release. Release the handle, the steering wheel flips up out of the way and you egress easily. Hop in, pull the wheel down and it returns to the prior height setting; very nice for two drivers of unequal height. I wish it was in the MY00, as I'm always banging my knees on the wheel after my (shorter than I) wife has been driving (well, it is her car).

juice, you're crazy to let that Forester out of sight. Taking the 626 to the beach?!? (or will you have it back by then)

..Mike

..Mike

This discussion has been closed.