Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Don't forget we have our weekly chat tonight.

For those in other time zones, it starts about 6 hours from now.

-juice
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    Another good suggestion. When I was getting my clutch looked at, the first five times the dealer said it was the clutch cable, pedal, etc.
    When I only mentioned it to a tech at another dealer he said, "The throw-out bearings get really dry". It took a sixth trip to my original dealer for them to finally take the tranny apart and say it was a bad TO bearing.
    Dennis
  • kate5000kate5000 Posts: 1,267
    I've started using Subaru MasterCard at the end of 2000, and now I'm about to get my second $100 coupon. Anyone had any experience spending this Subaru money? Do dealers accept these coupons w/o problems or is it a hassle? Anyone tried to pay Darlene for parts with these money?
    I spoke with Darlene a while back, and she said she'd take any "currency" Subaru provided.

$200, eh? Could get a hitch, or a diffy protector and front shock tower brace, or a rear sway bar and a deflector, or...

Choices, choices.

-juice
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    I won't be able to make tonights chat because of prior commitments, however, I'll be in tomorrow's Fridays Freeways chat, as usual.

To make up for my absence (well, kind of), I thought that you all might be interested in the following to URLs (off-topic though). You know how Jeep always mentions that all of their vehicles can survive the Rubicon? Well, it's true, but not without damage. Our resident M-class expert and off-road guru (who has written books on the JGC and M-class) took these pictures last year while he was with the Jeep engineers:
    http://www.rubicon-trail.com/Rubicon/rep_8223.html

http://www.rubicon-trail.com/Rubicon/rep_8223wj.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    I KNEW it! In fact, I've been claiming all along that off-roaders are heavily modified, the more the better.

Those don't even resemble stock, with noticeably taller springs, steel wheels, and high profile tires. Yet still they suffer severe damage, and would not have made it without repairs! So much for the Rubicon trail claims!

The ozzies have heavily modified Foresters, too. Skid plates, 4" lift, big wheels and tires with spacers, winches, etc. They also get low ranges stock, and remove front and rear bumpers (sound familiar now?).

So, what's the difference? About $10 grand.

-juice
  • Hugo, a couple of thoughts.

Have they looked for gasoline in the oil pan? If some of the piston rings were installed with the gaps lined up by mistake, gasoline would get down into the pan. Also, enough oil could get into the combustion chamber to lower the octane rating of the gasoline and cause pinging. It wouldn't take much, and might not be visible. The gasoline in the pan would, of course be gasoline used but not burned.

Have they done a mass balance on the engine? They can set up and provide a known amount of fuel into the engine, and analyze the components of the exhaust gas with an "exhaust gas analyzer", of all things, preferably a multi gas model. They can then calculate how much gasoline was actually burned. This can tell them whether the burn consumption is within range. If it is then they need to look elsewhere, like a small leak. If it isn't, the problem is with the engine or a subsystem.

Just one other thought. Has anyone checked the valve lash to see if it is off, possibly too tight?

Keep the faith and try other mechanics. This problem can be solved. It would be fun for the right guy, or gal.

Regards and good luck!
    Frank
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Drew -- Wow, those photos look painful. Man, those guys are hardcore! All that damage for the sake of offroading!

Hugo -- Have you asked SOA if there is a dealer that they recommend in your area? I recently found out that out of the 5+ dealers in the Bay Area, Subaru likes it for their customers with big warranty repairs to go to Santa Cruz because their service department is rated so high.

Ken
  • pattim3pattim3 Posts: 533
    yesterday. I "ran into" some visitors from FHI. I got to share all of your request with them (including a 6 speed manual - my personal favorite). They listened very attentively. When I said it was from folks at Edmunds, they seemed very familiar with the site.

Anyway, if you need your rotors resurfaced or wheel bearings replaced, I'm prepared (heh - heh) - a 1 armed tech.

One thing that I really liked was the new Pro-Cut 900, on the car lathe. It was incredible. Better than the previous model. Maybe see if your dealer has one (they're pretty new). Nice clean cut with self adjustment for runout.

Back to school today!!

Patti
  • pattim3pattim3 Posts: 533
    Have your sales been at the same dealer? Give me a call. Maybe we can work a deal!
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Whacky thought, but I wonder if we could organize our own on-line only dealership for subarus? Heck with everyone here who "sells" subarus and our collective knowledgebase, we could become a virtual dealer! Sell them all @ invoice price and deliver them from the Port to the people!

-mike
    juice,

Four -- not bad. I can honestly claim that I was a primary purchase "influencer" for at least three Foresters:

1998 Forester L
    1999 Forester L
    2000 Forester S

Aside from that I've tried to sell a bunch of other Subarus including another 1999 Forester L, a 2000 OB Wagon, 2001 OB VDC Wagon and a 2001 Impreza L.

Does that add up to a free car yet? ;-)

Ken
  • juice, I don't understand. The one GC was obviously modded, but the other looked pretty darn stock. (Coming from an engineering and experiment design background, I can think of dozens of great reasons to have two points of comparison such as those.) The vehicles did make it, and every other vehicle I saw in those pictures was far, far more modified than either of the GC's from Jeep. I think their efforts are laudable, and I saw nothing on that page to change my mind.

Cheers,
    -wdb
  • Drew & Ross: Did you guys get snow too? We got about 8" by this early AM. I took a couple of neighbors to the nearby market for bread/milk. As I waited for them to come out, I did donuts in the parking lot. What fun! It does take some re-adjusting to not let up on the power when there is some slippage. There is still snow on the side streets but it is melting and raining now. You can bet that the Soobies were out in force today in Seattle!

Stephen
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,724
    What does the TH refer to in the following folder title?

Subaru Crew: Linked Subaru TH Discussions

Bob
  • armac13armac13 Posts: 1,129
    Bah humbug! No, so far it has missed us again. Went for a long walk on the Richmond [non-permissible content removed] with a friend :-) this noon. It was snowing enough to partially whiten my blue jacket, but not enough to stay on the ground at all. I'm about to give up. Congrats on your opportunity to go out and play in a good cause.

Ross
  • lucien2lucien2 Posts: 2,984
    bob- Town Hall. I think.

Kate- Sorry to hear about your out-of-body-shop experience.

All- Sorry I missed the chat last night. Someday....
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,933
    Ross, my heart bleeds for ya but, how the hell do you expect to get snow when it is all dumped here and when it is not being dumped on us it is being dumped on the poor Newfoundlanders they have had twice as much again as us.
    Cheers Pat.
  • Pat: We tried to help you out a bit. Seattle got about 8" by Friday AM. There is still a couple of inches on the ground but our roadways a pretty much clear (darn). I thought for sure our northern sister city, Vancouver B.C. would have gotten some too but Ross cleared that up fast. :-)

Stephen
  • armac13armac13 Posts: 1,129
    I'll just have to wait until Paul returns home from Vancouver and then we can try again to get some of that lovely eastern white rain shipped back west. Must be the jet stream that makes shipment in this direction so difficult. I would never accuse Ontarians of shortchanging BC. :-)

Ross
  • Susan's GT has scuff marks on the side skirts...what is the best way to remove these...she doesn't know how they got there...any help would be appreciated...Serge
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,724
    TH = Town Hall. Makes sense to me. Thanks! :)

Bob
  • tlimatlima Posts: 124
    Use a "clearcoat" polish, available from any automotive store, as they are probably just very fine scratches that just dulls the clearcoat. If some of the scratches are too deep, you will not be able to remove them completely, but you should be able to make them much less noticeable.

Never use rubbing compounds or anything NOT marked "Clearcoat Safe".

Although I have a Forester, I've seen the skirts on the Legacy and they do stick out a bit, making them very easy to rub with boots or shoes.

-Tony
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    TH = Town Hall

As for adding those discussions to the folder, I'm waiting to get the final word on whether that folder can remain at all. It seems due to Search issues, the folder may cause a lot of confusion. So, I may have to put those discussions back into the regular Subaru Crew folder.

Sorry for adding even MORE to any confusion.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Looks like the Phillips VisionPlus +50% bulbs are well worth the money! They're the best of the bunch.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/michaelab/carcare-newsection/print_carcare.php3?id=84

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    ...which tells you where they do most of their postings .

Ed
    Drew,

I agree about the Philips bulbs based on my ownership experience.

It's President's Day in the US -- many of us (including me) have the day off!

Ken
  • Picked up my 2001 GT wagon today... dealer let me take it over night for my inspection. My OCD left an impression I guess. NO clunk in the roof for those of you who recall my recent experience. Looks kinda neat having 2 identical Soobs in the driveway.

bit
  • lucien2lucien2 Posts: 2,984