Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Don't forget we have our weekly chat tonight.

For those in other time zones, it starts about 6 hours from now.

-juice
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Another good suggestion. When I was getting my clutch looked at, the first five times the dealer said it was the clutch cable, pedal, etc.
    When I only mentioned it to a tech at another dealer he said, "The throw-out bearings get really dry". It took a sixth trip to my original dealer for them to finally take the tranny apart and say it was a bad TO bearing.
    Dennis
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    I've started using Subaru MasterCard at the end of 2000, and now I'm about to get my second $100 coupon. Anyone had any experience spending this Subaru money? Do dealers accept these coupons w/o problems or is it a hassle? Anyone tried to pay Darlene for parts with these money?
    I spoke with Darlene a while back, and she said she'd take any "currency" Subaru provided.

$200, eh? Could get a hitch, or a diffy protector and front shock tower brace, or a rear sway bar and a deflector, or...

Choices, choices.

-juice
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I won't be able to make tonights chat because of prior commitments, however, I'll be in tomorrow's Fridays Freeways chat, as usual.

To make up for my absence (well, kind of), I thought that you all might be interested in the following to URLs (off-topic though). You know how Jeep always mentions that all of their vehicles can survive the Rubicon? Well, it's true, but not without damage. Our resident M-class expert and off-road guru (who has written books on the JGC and M-class) took these pictures last year while he was with the Jeep engineers:
    http://www.rubicon-trail.com/Rubicon/rep_8223.html

http://www.rubicon-trail.com/Rubicon/rep_8223wj.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    I KNEW it! In fact, I've been claiming all along that off-roaders are heavily modified, the more the better.

Those don't even resemble stock, with noticeably taller springs, steel wheels, and high profile tires. Yet still they suffer severe damage, and would not have made it without repairs! So much for the Rubicon trail claims!

The ozzies have heavily modified Foresters, too. Skid plates, 4" lift, big wheels and tires with spacers, winches, etc. They also get low ranges stock, and remove front and rear bumpers (sound familiar now?).

So, what's the difference? About $10 grand.

-juice
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    Hugo, a couple of thoughts.

Have they looked for gasoline in the oil pan? If some of the piston rings were installed with the gaps lined up by mistake, gasoline would get down into the pan. Also, enough oil could get into the combustion chamber to lower the octane rating of the gasoline and cause pinging. It wouldn't take much, and might not be visible. The gasoline in the pan would, of course be gasoline used but not burned.

Have they done a mass balance on the engine? They can set up and provide a known amount of fuel into the engine, and analyze the components of the exhaust gas with an "exhaust gas analyzer", of all things, preferably a multi gas model. They can then calculate how much gasoline was actually burned. This can tell them whether the burn consumption is within range. If it is then they need to look elsewhere, like a small leak. If it isn't, the problem is with the engine or a subsystem.

Just one other thought. Has anyone checked the valve lash to see if it is off, possibly too tight?

Keep the faith and try other mechanics. This problem can be solved. It would be fun for the right guy, or gal.

Regards and good luck!
    Frank
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Drew -- Wow, those photos look painful. Man, those guys are hardcore! All that damage for the sake of offroading!

Hugo -- Have you asked SOA if there is a dealer that they recommend in your area? I recently found out that out of the 5+ dealers in the Bay Area, Subaru likes it for their customers with big warranty repairs to go to Santa Cruz because their service department is rated so high.

Ken
  • pattim3pattim3 Member Posts: 533
    yesterday. I "ran into" some visitors from FHI. I got to share all of your request with them (including a 6 speed manual - my personal favorite). They listened very attentively. When I said it was from folks at Edmunds, they seemed very familiar with the site.

Anyway, if you need your rotors resurfaced or wheel bearings replaced, I'm prepared (heh - heh) - a 1 armed tech.

One thing that I really liked was the new Pro-Cut 900, on the car lathe. It was incredible. Better than the previous model. Maybe see if your dealer has one (they're pretty new). Nice clean cut with self adjustment for runout.

Back to school today!!

Patti
    Have your sales been at the same dealer? Give me a call. Maybe we can work a deal!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Whacky thought, but I wonder if we could organize our own on-line only dealership for subarus? Heck with everyone here who "sells" subarus and our collective knowledgebase, we could become a virtual dealer! Sell them all @ invoice price and deliver them from the Port to the people!

-mike
    juice,

Four -- not bad. I can honestly claim that I was a primary purchase "influencer" for at least three Foresters:

1998 Forester L
    1999 Forester L
    2000 Forester S

Aside from that I've tried to sell a bunch of other Subarus including another 1999 Forester L, a 2000 OB Wagon, 2001 OB VDC Wagon and a 2001 Impreza L.

Does that add up to a free car yet? ;-)

Ken
  • francophilefrancophile Member Posts: 667
    juice, I don't understand. The one GC was obviously modded, but the other looked pretty darn stock. (Coming from an engineering and experiment design background, I can think of dozens of great reasons to have two points of comparison such as those.) The vehicles did make it, and every other vehicle I saw in those pictures was far, far more modified than either of the GC's from Jeep. I think their efforts are laudable, and I saw nothing on that page to change my mind.

Cheers,
    -wdb
  • barresa11barresa11 Member Posts: 277
    Drew & Ross: Did you guys get snow too? We got about 8" by this early AM. I took a couple of neighbors to the nearby market for bread/milk. As I waited for them to come out, I did donuts in the parking lot. What fun! It does take some re-adjusting to not let up on the power when there is some slippage. There is still snow on the side streets but it is melting and raining now. You can bet that the Soobies were out in force today in Seattle!

Stephen
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    What does the TH refer to in the following folder title?

Subaru Crew: Linked Subaru TH Discussions

Bob
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    Bah humbug! No, so far it has missed us again. Went for a long walk on the Richmond [non-permissible content removed] with a friend :-) this noon. It was snowing enough to partially whiten my blue jacket, but not enough to stay on the ground at all. I'm about to give up. Congrats on your opportunity to go out and play in a good cause.

Ross
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    bob- Town Hall. I think.

Kate- Sorry to hear about your out-of-body-shop experience.

All- Sorry I missed the chat last night. Someday....
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Ross, my heart bleeds for ya but, how the hell do you expect to get snow when it is all dumped here and when it is not being dumped on us it is being dumped on the poor Newfoundlanders they have had twice as much again as us.
    Cheers Pat.
  • barresa11barresa11 Member Posts: 277
    Pat: We tried to help you out a bit. Seattle got about 8" by Friday AM. There is still a couple of inches on the ground but our roadways a pretty much clear (darn). I thought for sure our northern sister city, Vancouver B.C. would have gotten some too but Ross cleared that up fast. :-)

Stephen
    I'll just have to wait until Paul returns home from Vancouver and then we can try again to get some of that lovely eastern white rain shipped back west. Must be the jet stream that makes shipment in this direction so difficult. I would never accuse Ontarians of shortchanging BC. :-)

Ross
  • soon2bsubeesoon2bsubee Member Posts: 137
    Susan's GT has scuff marks on the side skirts...what is the best way to remove these...she doesn't know how they got there...any help would be appreciated...Serge
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    TH = Town Hall. Makes sense to me. Thanks! :)

Bob
  • tlimatlima Member Posts: 124
    Use a "clearcoat" polish, available from any automotive store, as they are probably just very fine scratches that just dulls the clearcoat. If some of the scratches are too deep, you will not be able to remove them completely, but you should be able to make them much less noticeable.

Never use rubbing compounds or anything NOT marked "Clearcoat Safe".

Although I have a Forester, I've seen the skirts on the Legacy and they do stick out a bit, making them very easy to rub with boots or shoes.

-Tony
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    TH = Town Hall

As for adding those discussions to the folder, I'm waiting to get the final word on whether that folder can remain at all. It seems due to Search issues, the folder may cause a lot of confusion. So, I may have to put those discussions back into the regular Subaru Crew folder.

Sorry for adding even MORE to any confusion.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    Looks like the Phillips VisionPlus +50% bulbs are well worth the money! They're the best of the bunch.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/michaelab/carcare-newsection/print_carcare.php3?id=84

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    ...which tells you where they do most of their postings .

Ed
    Drew,

I agree about the Philips bulbs based on my ownership experience.

It's President's Day in the US -- many of us (including me) have the day off!

Ken
  • originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    Picked up my 2001 GT wagon today... dealer let me take it over night for my inspection. My OCD left an impression I guess. NO clunk in the roof for those of you who recall my recent experience. Looks kinda neat having 2 identical Soobs in the driveway.

bit
    Congrats!
    Mike,

Congrats on the new car! Didn't know that you were going to buy another GT. Is this to replace your 2000 GT Wagon or in addition to? Any reason why if it was a replacement?

Hey, I'm from San Mateo -- where'd you go to buy your vehicle?

Ken
    It's a replacement. I had a groan/clunk somewhere in the roof. Long story but in the end the dealer damaged the roof trying to fix it. They offered to repaint the entire roof but I opted to replace the car with the help of a credit from the repair towards a new the car. Dealer is Carlsen in Redwood City. Very nice folks and were willing to help make good on the unfortunate mistake.

Just did a thorough inspection side by side with the 2000. Looks good and nice panel fit. A bit more orange peel than the 2000 which had a gorgeous finish. Drives nice. Funny though how much difference 12k miles makes... everything a bit tighter on the 2001. Shifter is most noticeable.

bit
    bit,

Glad things turned out okay for you. Carlsen is a pretty good dealer. Santa Cruz is also another good one.

I just recently drive a white 2001 GT wagon in 5-speed. Very nice. The quietness was most impressive. I didn't even notice I was shifting at 4000+ RPM.

Ken
    Bit: congrats. Great to hear that.

Patti: you should show FHI how NOT to over-torque a wheel bearing! And I bet you could do that with one arm too! ;-)

That on-car lathe sounds really cool, though. I've heard those are the best for resurfacing rotors.

I have a solution for the scuff-marked side skirts - get a Forester L! :-) Seriously, that matte black plastic is a dent and scratch resistant champ.

Drew: cool bulb test, but why no Hella +30s? Looks like they tested the stock Hella H7.

WDB: I disagree. If a Grand Cherokee suffers that kind of severe damage, I wouldn't exactly say it "made it". Survived it, maybe. Heck, I could strap a winch to my Forester and drag it through the Rubicon; would that count?

Their claim implies owners can take it there, with not more than minor scratches, bumps maybe, but that's it. The kind of damage in the pictures would prevent any sane owner from doing the Rubicon in his Jeep, which to me is the entire point.

-juice
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    ... and it DID snow in Vancouver! But it didn't stick, so there! (lots of happy snowboarders on the SeaBus, though!) It was fun to see Seattle suffer through a normal snowfall... weather wimps! (except for the Subaru owners, of course!)

Got 3 kids & infirm Dad through 4 days of airplane rides, hotel, and family reunion in Vancouver... Drove by 1 Subaru dealership in North Van, but didn't get a chance to stop in & peek at the goodies... but would much rather have had a Subaru rather than a minivan... especially in the Lonsdale Quay parking garage! How that guy in the Yukon Danali got in & out of there is beyond me!

OK, Vancouverites... sing along..."let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!"

Cheers, eh?
    Paul
    Plenty of snow in CT, but not while we were there. White ground and none on the pavement, boo-hoo! :-(

Road trip was cool. 7 hours up, 24mpg in heavy traffic with the luggage carrier on the roof and a full payload. 5 hours back, 23mpg, at, uh, higher speeds. I hit 85 for a while, but I swear it was by accident! ;-)

Yet another experience that confirms my particular Soob gets far better mileage at about 70mph than it does at 80mph. This is with the very un-aerodynamic roof carrier, though. (Edit: note that there was much, much less traffic on the way back, too)

I did get the notebook/DVD hooked up, so we had "in-flight" movies all the way up and down. I saw "Elmo in Grouchland" plus the "Blues Clues" DVD, though, not exactly Oscar-worthy films! I sat in back with Tati for a while, and had plenty of room behind the nanny and my wife.

Anyone with a white Premium Forester go to Stamford mall on Saturday? Saw lots and lots of Foresters. They seem to be at every corner. Fewer Outbacks than I expected.

Interesting, the brother-in-law that got married used to work at Stamford Subaru! Sorry, though, his name it not "Dave"!

-juice
  • soon2bsubeesoon2bsubee Member Posts: 137
    Just finished a nice Chinese lunch with Mike Smith, who is done here in sunny(???) Florida with his wife on a convention boondoggle...what a nice guy and all-around gentleman...we talked about family, jobs, Florida, Maryland, kids...oh, yeah, we also talked about Subies (almost forgot about that topic). Anyway, I hope to meet more of you evnetually..Don, I know we will see you when you move down to Boynton...hopefully, we will make our way up to the DC are for a visit....
    glad you survived the visit. Noticed that you even picked up the Canadian accent. I was having a hard time coordinating this snow/don't snow thing. I'll sing a few lines on my way home, but we are in the middle of spring right now and I doubt that it will help.

Ross
    Don't forget, 5-6pm Pacific tonight! Hope to see some of you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/cartalk022001.html?id=hphall2.cartalk2
    Ah - the confidence you have in me - so refreshing and surprising.

Actually, the wheel bearing portion was VERY interesting. Four secrets to proper installation:

1. Pack with grease, add some more grease and then a bit more - sloppy but goooooood!

2. Use a press - shortcut - tap it into the hub with a rubber hammer - it may look good to the eye, but there is little if no tolerance for anything being out of kilter. Go slow and easy with the press.

3. Did I say add grease, more grease and then a bit more? Oh - BTW - that is high heat grease.

4. Patience. If you think you may have not added ENOUGH grease or if you think you did not press it into the hub evenly, start over with a new bearing.

Great fun. I got to get dirty (one hand, thank you very much) but I was able to press the bearing in and I didn't even forget to re-install the ABS tone wheel.

Patti
  • francophilefrancophile Member Posts: 667
    LOL! My first lesson in "real" automotive repair was how to pack a bearing with grease. You're right - stuff it in there until it oozes out from every imaginable opening, and then put some more in for good measure. Then smear up all the surfaces. Then goop some more in here & there for good measure ;-)

It is a very, very rare instance where there is such a thing as too much grease in a bearing. You had a good teacher! Except maybe for that "start over with a new bearing" thing; I wouldn't want to see the boss's face when I told him it took me 2 bearings to replace 1!

Cheers,
    -wdb
    Can you all send me a post on your "feelings" about the doughnut spare in the Outback. I think I have an ear and I want to send them a bunch of stuff from you all. E-mail me at pmickel@Subaru.com?

Thanks!

Patti
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    is really easy for me... Dad was born & raised in Vancouver, and Mom elsewhere in Canada - so I got it from both sides! It only takes a couple of days up there, and I'm ooting & abooting & eh-ing with the best of 'em! Dad does the "eh" thing still, after 50 years away, and he calls where I work a fire hall instead of station, but other than that, you can't tell.

I however, freely admit to my preference for Canadian beer... :)

Cheers!
    Paul
    This one seems perfect. Did the usual extended road test and checked over the body panel. No clunks, no runs no errors. Swapped in my Blaupunk CD receiver and tomorrow I take the 2000 in for the trade. Sad day as that car really performed well. I need to thank Patti for all of her help and support.

bit
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    I spent last weekend in western NC (cold but no snow) :-( Talk about Subarus everywhere, There were lots of Outbacks and Legacys and a number of Foresters. At one point, I drove past a small video rental store and 4 of the 5 cars parked out front were Subarus!

-Frank P.
    Well for a brief, sweet, moment, there was a NEW Subaru website free of that bandwidth sucking Flash BS, just like we asked for. And then it was gone.....Boohuhu!

The same group of "hackers" who "hacked" into the new WRX site prematurely (i.e., simply posting the URL, which was free of any security, on i-club) may have crashed it, since 4000 of us all went rushing to see it at the same time!
    Patti: message about the donut sent.

I'd encourage ALL folks here to do the same. Given the discussion on the subject, I think it's fair to say most people would like to see it.

bit: they ought to put in charge of QC at SIA. Not a single defect would escape that factory!

You should have snapped a photo for our gallery, Frank!

OK, Loosh - wasn't me! ;-)

-juice
    Here is my feeling on the doughnut spare, It should not even be included on any AWD. vehicle given the probability for screw up, a lot of people are mechanically challenged and may not even be aware that you have to insert a fuse and run in FWD while the doughnut spare is on the car, and a lot more people never bother to read the owners manual that comes with the vehicle, so Ii would suggest either install a full size spare or dump the spare entirely and get on board with the latest run flat technology.
    Cheers Pat.
    Run-flats tend to yield harsh rides. I think they still have some sorting out to do with those. My dad's OB rides smooth as silk - one of his primary "likes".

Send those message, folks! It's not like she hasn't done favors for us!

-juice
    Juice, message sent the latest run flats are very good actually, anything would be preferable to that bloody doughnut, my Honda wagon came standard with a full size spare and it is not even all wheel drive.
    Cheers Pat.