Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    I don't think anyone ever said roll bars were bad. It was just pointed out that they would probably decrease resale value. Personally, if I had a Miata, I would probably put a Hard Dog bar in it.
    juice - I don't think Hard Dogs sells "style Bars" just real roll bars.
    I can just see jwilson cruising around in the dead of winter with one of those ski masks with eye and mouth holes.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Or a hockey mask...

-juice
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    ... but it's gotta be warm! Maybe a fur-lined hockey mask.

Years ago, on a trip to NYC, I was in a taxi on the (then) winding brick streets beneath Roosevelt Dr. It was raining, cold. And I saw a pink (really) MGA headed toward me.

If you're old enough, you might remember how hard it was to put the top up & down on those things. So the MGA passenger was holding an umbrella over himself and the passenger.

That really was LOL!

Take care.
    Joe W.
    Who needs an umbrella? Just drive really fast!

In two weeks of driving I have not once failed to put the top down.

Lows have been in the 30's.

-juice
    What I can't figure out is that I live in California, where it's great convertible weather 90% (98% if you're not a native) of the time and even on a beautiful day, the vast majority of the convertibles I see have their tops up. It's sort of understandable with the Sebring types but I'm always amazed at how many Miatas I see with their tops up on a beautiful day.
    I also don't get it. They got the wrong car. Status symbol, maybe?

People look shocked to see my top down, but even with lows near freezing it sometimes hits 60 degrees in the PM.

Heck, the previous owner of mine (Blanca) also never took the top down. The nice thing is that the original top still looks good!

-juice
  • sebargesebarge Member Posts: 50
    You refer to the "Sebring" types? Is there a Sebring type & tell me more.
    We own both a '98 Sebring JXi and a '94 Miata. They are both great in their own ways, and are both totally different. And we are extremely happy with both cars. We also drive both cars top-down as much as possible, which is quite alot. The climate where we live (southeast) gives us this opportunity. The Miata usually stays top-down all the time, unless it's raining. The Sebring is such a cinch to put up & down that it just makes sense to use the power top to it's full advantage.
    So, please, you have got to enlighten me on this "type". :-0
    (And if we could live in CA, I think we would love it. You would see at least one more Miata top down, and at least one Sebring topless, also.)
    I just knew I was going to get in trouble for that one. Give me a minute while I pull my foot out of my mouth (it's a size 14 so this may take a while).
    OK, I guess my poorly stated point was that, IN GENERAL, people who buy Sebring convertibles tend to be more oriented toward comfortable cruising than those who buy Miatas. Therefore, I would expect them to be more likely to have the top up due to weather, noise, wind or any of the other things that can bother people in a convertible. It was not intended disparage Sebring owners in any way. It is just what I would expect based on my own biases as to the kind of drivers the two cars generally appeal to.
    I think we all have a little of Jeckyl and Hyde in us.

I usually drive the Miata alone and have lots of fun exploring its limits.

When I drive with a baby in the back seat of my Subaru it's a little different.

-juice
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well, I think it's a reasonable statement that a person buying a larger 4-seat convertible is more interested in comfort features. Whether that translates into less down time for the top is a bit of a generality perhaps.
    Actually, it may even be the other way around.

Lots of hot-lapping Miatae are wearing a hard top, no?

-juice
    persona in us, and that's why we have both the Sebring and the Miata. :-)
    I understand "dgraves1"'s comment, but just didn't want him or others to generalize/compartmentalize all Sebring convertible drivers into stuffy, comfort-seeking individuals that have no fun factor.
    Actually, though, I often try the "Miata" wave with Sebring owners and usually get this "look". And most often their tops are up, poor misguided souls. OTOH, I give Miata owners the wave, and still get that "look". And there are way too many Miata owners around here who have their tops up, also. Bless their poor misguided hearts.
    "Maybe we have the Jekyll & Hyde persona in us"....
    Don't know where the rest of my subject title went to.
    Save the wave! :)

Funny thing happened today. Well, not so funny I guess.

I was coming into my garage at work, and the wooden gate that went up came down too soon - right on MY HEAD! Ouch!

I bit my tongue, too. No injury, just a bit of a shock. The gate did manage to bend my antennae, which is the power model and is now ruined. It won't come down at all, obviously.

So question, what do I replace it with? Should I get another power antennae, and if so can I just get the mast itself? It is easy to install, and are there instructions anywhere?

What about those rubber ones? Is the reception just as good?

I was a bit peeved, but the security folks were very apologetic and nice, and agreed to fork over $250 no questions asked. I can do this myself and maybe even come out ahead.

Appreciate any help/tips.

-juice
  • anewbluedayanewblueday Member Posts: 1
    I could use some Help!!

I stopped by a dealer and he had what I wanted:

Red 2001 - but it was a Basic with extras, like leather, Bose sound, cassette added, extra breaks, and sticker price was $26,010. The dealer said he would take $1,000 off.

Isn't that high. It is not an LS.

Are there different posted Sticker prices???

Can the dealers post what they want??

Help please. Anew.
    juice, you'll be the guy with the gate coming out of your head -- actually, you're lucky you didn't get hurt, or worse, get the Miata dented! Ohmygawd.

RE: the antenna -- several of the aftermarket suppliers at Miata.net offer antennas, both the rubber ones and the electrics. With all the wiring done, the install should (famous last words) be pretty easy.

Take care.
    Joe W.
    Wow, that had to have hurt. Man, the perils one faces (in gargages) if you have the top down, eh? I was glad to read that the garage is willing to throw some money your way. Whew. Sorry 'bout the car, too. Let us know what you end up with.
  • bikybiky Member Posts: 20
    Hi all, this is the first time I'm posting on Miata. A couple of days back, me and my friend went to a Mazda dealership to buy a Miata. We test drove an automatic first, 'coz my friend was interested in getting one with an auto shift. Somehow, I did not feel that the car runs smooth enough neither does it have good pulling power. I had to redline to get some pickup. And then I drove one with 5-speed. It wasn't much different, except that I could accelerate it to a higher rpm on every gear.

The second concern is that at 60mph, both cars were running at 3000rpm, b'coz of which the car was too noisy and shaky. We could also feel every little bump on the road, felt like the suspension weren't good enough to isolate the jerks from the cabin.

Both cars were 1997 model with less than 30k miles.

We wanted to know if this is the case with every Miata or is it with the two we drove? More specifically, is the Miata so under-powered?

Any comment on this would be appreciated.
  • davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    Well, you can come autocross with me one weekend and try to keep up, then we'll see how underpowered it is.
    Seriously though, the Miata is not a Corvette, a Mustang, or a Camaro. The strength of a Miata is perfect handling, not brute force acceleration. A Miata can be made quicker with a Turbo or a Supercharger.
    If you or your friend are looking for a fun to drive, basically maintenance free roadster, then the Miata may be for you, if you are looking for something more powerful, you may want to go look at used Mustang GT's.
    Anew: I dunno, but that sounds high to me.

Joe W: yeah, I saw a new power antennae at Moss Motors for $80 (seems steep), as well as a rubber one for $12 or so. The catch is, I'm planning on a car cover and the rubber one may get in the way.

Can I splice into the existing wiring, or do I have to run it through again?

I'm waiting 'til they pay me off first. $250 was the estimate, I want to get paid before I fix it!

Biky: welcome to true sports-car ownership. Mine '93 is loud, rides stiffly, revs high at highway speeds, and has a cramped interior, but I LOVE it!

You have to rev the engine to make power; this is a sports car after all. When do you, and I mean all the way to redline, you'll be rewarded with better performance.

Honestly, though, from your initial impressions, this may not be the right car for your friend. If a smooth, quiet ride and straight line acceleration are priorities (rather than handling), you may want to consider a Toyota Solara V6 with a supercharger from TRD.

-juice
  • shaw10shaw10 Member Posts: 14
    I've read lots of comments about how the original tires are not very good when it comes to rain and snow...I'm considering a 2001 LS that has Bridgestones (Turenzas?) as standard...is that the tire that people are talking about...if not, what various brands are people getting as stock tires that rate so low (I do plan to get snows for the winter, any how)...thanks to anyone with feedback !
    Shaw
    Biky, you and your friend, if you want to enjoy the Miata, need to make sure that the car is rarely under 3500 rpm.

Your post might mean you'd be happier with some of the other cars suggested, but if you're in doubt I suggest you go back to the dealer and try it again, this time not going into 4th until you're up around 60 or so -- listen to it sing!

Take care.
    Joe W>
  • crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    Juice: Robuck sold me a power antenna for $135. Sounds like a lot but it's of high quality. It mounts to the inner structure of the car. The rubber duckys just mount to the sheet metal of the fender. Kinda flimsey. Tried one & took it back. I think the electric one from Moss is a universal & not as good as the oem one. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Chuck
  • pinecrestjimpinecrestjim Member Posts: 64
    I'd have to steer you away from the Miata, also. Come to think of it, I think my '91 LeSabre 3.8L would probably beat my '00 Miata - on the quarter mile. The Miata is NOT a dragster - if you're into sheer G force from straight acceleration, do yourself a favor and look at other vehicles.

Personally, I LOVE my Miata. I also realize it's not a 'vette, 'stang, or Viper. It's a reasonably priced, packed full of fun sports car.

Just trying to keep everyone happy, even those who eventually don't buy a Miata.

Jim M.
  • bikybiky Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for yr views, David, Joe, Jim and Juice (3 J's) hehe !

David, I'm sure you'll leave me way back on a race, I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L. But I believe it's smoother than a Miata.

But if everybody has the opinion that the Miata is a good roadster, I'll try driving it again and redlining it this time. Hope it feels good then.

Biky
    It's most fun on curves. Take it out and try it on a curvy road, if possible. That's where the superb handling comes to play. And that's where you will leave those Mustangs/Camaros behind. It's not going to win on the straight-aways, but it's amazing how easily it maintains the same speed on curves as on straight sections, while other cars need to slow down. (We are not the racing type, but we have found the joy of this in our Miata - awesome handling.)
    Chuck: thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind.

Shaw: for driving in snow, you'll want a Subaru. Just kidding.

I bought my Miata as a 3rd vehicle used for pure enjoyment, but my Subaru gets all the foul weather duty, and it's great at it.

I'm not sure I'd want a Miata in the snow belt. At a minimum, I'd get winter tires mounted on steel rims to swap when the seasons change.

Beth makes a good point, though. The handling limits are awesome. I hardly have the courage to explore limits that high, and mine is bone-stock.

Imagine if you upgraded the springs and shocks, and added front and rear subframe braces, shock tower braces, and a roll bar. Not to mention rims and tires!

-juice
  • akhamkerakhamker Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone,

I bought a Miata early this year and I've been really enjoying it. I love the car! It really is sweet!

The reason why I'm writing in is to find out any advice on how to drive it better. Do's and don'ts. What is this 'heel and toe' driving for instance? Is red-lining bad for the car? What can I do to prolong it's life? All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also. If anyone knows of a good Miata club in Atlanta or nearby I would be most grateful if you could tell me about it.

Regards,

Aijaz.
    Lucky you! What a fun car to start learning to (really) drive in!! Suggestions:

1) Somewhere in Georgia is the mother of all Miata Clubs, MCOA -- look at Miata.net for a link and also all the local clubs.

2) Once you've found the club and have attended the meeting, you'll find out about the Auto-X events they sponsor and run. Go to one, and several, and then some more -- you'll learn a lot about driving!

3) With a good modern transmission, you don't need to know anything about heel0&-toe, but it IS fun, so you can have someone demonstrate for you at the Auto-X or, once you learn to drive pretty fast, my nuimber 1 recommendation is to enroll in a good driving school -- Skip Barber or one of a nuimber of others offerede around the country -- and they'll make you go faster than you ever dreamed you could ... without being terrified!

Take care.
    Joe W>
    Atlanta? You're lucky. Plenty of Miata club meets and such. Good location for 'em. DC (for me) is much worse. Haven't heard of anything at all.

Agree with #3 above. I believe Panoz has a school right in town for you. Again, location...

Redline is 7000 and there is a fuel cut out just above that point to prevent you from doing any damage. It makes power up high, from 4000rpm and up, so don't be afraid to wring it out. Heck, you're actually SUPPOSED to rev it to 6000rpm every 100 miles or so to prevent carbon build up in the cylinders.

How to make it last? Miatas are reliable, so just don't forget any scheduled maintenance and odds are you'll be fine.

Mine is close to 30k miles so I did the fuel filter, oil and oil filter, spark plugs (wires were already new), pcv valve, air filter, radiator flush, and wipers. I also plan on doing the differential fluid and transmission fluid in the next week or two. Not even a full day for all of the above.

Consumer Reports just came out with their 2001 buying guide. I was amazed that my 1993 Miata has not a single black dot. Not even half-black! For an 8 year old!

Some brand new cars aren't that good!

-juice
  • davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    Look for the book "Going Faster" Subtitled-"Mastering the Art of Race Driving" It was written by the guys and girls at the Skip Barber Driving School. Very interesting reading, gives you a real insight into driving well.
    You are in such good luck. It's called the Peachtree Miata Club, and they have all kinds of weekend fun, all throughout the year. I know because we were a member until we just recently were transferred to Mississippi. In fact, the hubby & I were the new "joint" secretaries of the club, & then the husband up and gets transferred.

Anyhow, go to this site to get some info on the Peachtree Miata club: http://www.mindspring.com/~peachtreemiata

They are a great bunch of people and you will learn alot about your Miata. Also in the Atlanta area (in Alpharetta) is the Miata Club of America. They usually have a few events each year also, & it's right there, so it's cake to participate in those also. Be sure to find out where the Nov. or Dec. General meeting is being held, and drop by to check them out before you join. The meetings are fun, too, & are held on Monday evenings, once a month.
    LMK if I can help out any further with this.
    Beth
    Sorry, don't know why my titles keep messing up.
    To Joe, Juice, David and Beth. Thankyou very much for your responses to my questions.

Aijaz : )
  • crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    A good companion to the book "Going Faster is the tape "going Faster". The book & the tape are from the Skip Barber driving school. They will help you understand the basics. If you truly want to learn how to drive fast consider taking a drivers school. It's money well spent.
    Chuck
    OK. This may sound really silly but are there any good films out there were the hero or heroine (have to be politically correct (smile) ) drives a Miata?

Aijaz.
  • jim228jim228 Member Posts: 4
    I need a little help here. I'm trading in my 94 vette for a 99 Miata. A local dealer in Ft. Lauderdale has blue 21K mile miata with the leather package and no ABS. They are throwing in a certified Mazda warranty, 12 month 12K mile on top of the factory warranty. Three questions, first, whats a fair price? they are asking $19995. Second will they trade the the tan top for the black one on the car next to it? And third, if i get a base model, how easy is it to add the wind screen? A different local dealer has an $18000 mile green one for $16999 with trade???, whatever that means, the tires are shot, is that a good price?
    Can't think of any Miatas featured in movies. At least not off the top of my head.

'99s are so recent, it's hard to compare. In Florida demand should be high, so the prices sounds fair to me.

The top swap would be a royal pain. I'm sure there would be several hours of labor to do that. Is the dealer willing? Depends on how motivated to sell he is. You can ask, of course.

-juice
    Also, the 2001 has more power. 155 horses now. If you're coming out of a 'Vette...

-juice
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    My local dealer (southern NJ) has been trying to clear out the last couple of '00s for a while. They have a base model, pretty much no options, MSRP of 21.2K (approx) advertised for $17,990 (after rebate of 1K).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    Well, I don't know about hero's, but the last movie I remember specifically remember a Miata in was Crash. It didn't look so good by the time they were done with it... but she did survive a rollover crash without a seatbelt on!
    While I'm still waiting for the garage insurance to pay up, I did get an estimate. It was a whopping $311 for the full power antennae unit, labor, and a rental car. Minus the rental it was still $280.

Insurance had estimated $250, so not far.

They said Mazda does not sell the mast seperately, though some dealers seem to offer it.

Anyway, I just got a generic rubber antennae for $10, and it took 30 minutes to remove the old one and install it. Works like a charm, too.

Also, with a phillips driver I can lower it and still use a cover.

Any how, problem solved, thanks for the tips you guys offered.

The funds will pay for some mods. I wasn't crazy about a power antennae anyway.

-juice
    "Also, with a phillips driver I can lower it and still use a cover."

What do you mean, juice?

Take care.
    Joe W>
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    going to ask a blasphemous question here. How is the 4 speed auto in the Miata? Does it perform at least as well as any other automatic?

Has anyone does a test on RPM's at 65mph with the automatic? What about the 6 speed manual? And the 5 speed? I know the 5 speed probably revs the highest, therefore the loudest on the highway, right?

Anyone out there willing to admit they have an automatic Miata? Does the tranny hold up as well as the rest of the car?

Thanks!
    I don't have an automatic, Justin, but:

I know of no problems specifically related to the automatic. It should be very reliable.

If, howeer, as your post suggests, you are planning to do a lot of highway driving, I guarantee you'll be a lot more comfortable (a LOT) in a Buick.

It's not "heresy" to talk about an auto Miata. However, an oxymoron, as you probably know, is a built in contradiction in terms. "True Lies" is one. Automatic Miata is another.

Happy holiday.

Take care.
    Joe W>
  • jim228jim228 Member Posts: 4
    Automatics??? I dorve my Z-28 9 miles each way through miami city traffic every day. Traded it for a '94 corvette. Automatic. Oxymoron? Maybe. Practical? Yes!!! Traded the vette for a 2000 LS with 12k miles. I got kelly blue book for the vette and paid 19500 for the 2000..the miata is a stick. Should i stay with the stock aignment or tweak it a little? If i tweak it can anybody recommend some settings for street use?
  • krodrenkrodren Member Posts: 31
    It would be interesting to know what was behind trading in a Corvette for a Miata. And how you like it.
  • sach1sach1 Member Posts: 22
    can I ask the name of the dealer in question, as I am likely within an hours drive time?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Maple shade Mazda. They have locations in Maple shade and turnersville NJ. The sale car was a black base. They also had a white one with basically the same equipment. If they still have it (saw it in their ad a few days ago), they are certainly looking to move them out. I drove one of them a few weeks ago and it seemded nice.

they also had an LS in burnt orange. Not sure if that is still available.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• sach1sach1 Member Posts: 22
    I was dissatisifed with a central Jersey dealership and will make the trip down Route 73 to check them out. I'm looking for a base car, with automatic. Thanks for the info.