Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    this crap is hea-vee. I'm going to be sore in the morning from shoveling the walk and sidewalk. Street got plowed once, made a nice berm that sealed the fates of many of our neighbors. Even so, both of our cars did reasonably well (open diffs, BG running very good A/S tires, GF running wore out and old A/S tires). In conditions like this though, A/S tires are barely enough. It isn't the depth, it's the temps.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Driving home at 3am last night was fun. Tonight should be even more fun.

-mike
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    driving the unplowed I-95 this morning proved to be too much for my nerves....
    especially when flanked by 18 wheelers on each side.

-Dave
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My (retired) sister got about 4 inches of snow with a nice crust of ice on top of it overnight in N. VA. Naturally she just had to drive her newish Forester to town for a latte this morning. :P
    I was sound asleep through most of the snow today. :)

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    My lower back is sore, from all that shoveling. Oh well, at least it's not sprained. :sick:

The Miata is surrounded by a two foot deep wall of ice from the plows. It probably won't get out of that spot until Spring. :D

-juice
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Maybe we'll have a bonfire to stay warm tonight! :surprise:
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    I heard about the miserable weather out East. Lots of my co-workers were working from home today.

It was 70 degrees and sunny here in the Bay Area! :-D

Ken
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    funny story in the local paper this morning about 2 neighbors who have shared driveway clearning responsibilities for 10 years ... they would alternate clearing the driveways and even share a snowblower ... this year one wanted to change the schedule a bit and suggested that his neighbor clear the drive for all snows BEFORE 1/20 and he'd clear all snow afterward .. well this year we had something like 5" before 1/20 never enough to require firing up the snowblower .. and since 1/20 we've had almost 40" .... so guess who might be thinking it wasn't a great idea to change the schedule!
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Well, not really, as the crew didn't actually get hurt in the accident. But thanks to these guys efforts, Poughkeepsie, NY made the news last night following our icy snow storm.

About 10" of pure ice rained down on the Hudson Valley on Wednesday. It was like living in a real live snow globe for most of the day. Tempertures remained in the teens as 1/8" ball bearings bounced everywhere. The end result was incredibly heavy and difficult to move. I was out there after dark with a roof rake, and used a little electric snow blower on my deck, concerned about that much weight. Figure something like 40-50 lbs per square foot. Then add in a little sunlight on Thursday morning, and it quickly fused to solid ice.

Meanwhile, over at the Poughkeepsie Galleria Mall, snow crews decided to make a three story high mountain with the snow they scraped off of the upper deck of the parking garage. Yes, right there on the deck. It didn't last long.......

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=BK&Date=20070215&C- ategory=NEWS01&ArtNo=215001&Ref=PH&Params=Itemnr=3

Steve
    and to keep it subie related there is an outback in the background of picture 01.

-mike
    For some people the problem becomes - where do you put it? Obviously those guys didn't have the right answer.

For the first day or so I just drove over it, since it wasn't that deep, but I suspected the big freeze so I used a flat metal shovel to break it up and a snow shovel to push it away.

Brrr, it was 20 degrees when I went out today.

-juice
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    we are expecting temps in the high 30s - low 40s tonight...cold for us thin-blooded former NYers
    got to build a fire in my living room...burn the couch to stay warm!
    Serge
  • w8ifiw8ifi Member Posts: 78
    Does Njswamplands check in the boards anymore? I used to really enjoy his one line comments. hilarious !

Jim
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Well it's in the high 30's here but that is in Celsius so 100 F for you folk.

I've spent the day erecting a glasshouse where it was getting up to high 50's inside (about 135F - sauna temperature) I reckon I lost a couple of litres of fluid as i had to work inside for a while. Much happier when we got onto installing the frog pond and I had to stand in the middle of it with the hoses on me. All this is in aid of environmental education for the kids who attend the local primary school where I am Council President.

I must say that snow seems quite appealing at present!

Cheers

Graham
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Graham, along the east coast here, at least in the mid-atlantic states, the extremely wet and heavy snow has turned into ice, as temps haven't gotten above the low 20s. If you go were to try and walk on the snow, it is so frozen, that your body weight will not make an impression it it. It's nothing but thick ice now.

This has become a real problem for motorists, as large chunks of ice flying off trucks, cars, SUVs, and minivans have caused a lot damage and a number of accidents, at least here in Maryland. The police are now actively ticketing cars with an $80.00 fine when they catch vehicles that haven't cleaned off their roofs.

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago, as I was driving on the Baltimore Beltway when a large chunk of ice flew off a truck in front of me and hit my windshield. Fortunately it didn't break the windshield, but it scared the hell outta me.

Because of this ice, we've also had a rash of sledding accidents, because you can't control the sleds. In fact we just had a fatality yesterday when someone sledding crashed into a tree and was killed instantly.

Bob
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    It's even been cold down here in tidewater Virginia -- in the teens (F) last night, and was in single digits last week at night. That's about as cold as I remember in this area since I moved down here in the early 90s (though nothing compared to the routine negative temps I experienced in New England as a kid).

We were in West Virginia last week for skiing, and their winter climate is more like what I grew up with. Barely warmed up to 10F a couple days and was about -12F to -5F at night. It always amazes me how different the climate is when I travel just 250 miles west into the Appalachian mountains. Part of it is the 4000-5000ft elevations, I am sure.

Looks like the East Coast will get a gradual warmup starting Monday. I have a feeling we'll see one more cold snap before spring shows up, however. We had a mild early winter, and many years these are followed by a harsher late winter and early spring. More moisture shows up in March, which is often when we get the biggest snowfalls in these oddball winters. I have been studying weather a lot recently, and sometimes the best way to predict the future weather is to look for analogues with past winters. These say we could have a very snowy March.

It's supposed to hit 45F here today, which will be the warmest day in a long time by far. I think I am going to wash my car since it's coated in salt from last week's ski trip. Hard to believe, but 45F will feel balmy!

Craig
    Bob's message reminded me.... We didn't get any snow from that recent storm, but tractor trailers have brought a lot of snow and ice chunks down here from the North. The sides of the roads are littered with big snow and ice chunks and it's been too cold to melt. Thankfully I haven't been hit with anything yet, but these chunks could definitely do some damage. I saw a whole roof full of snow slide off a tractor trailer yesterday.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    I always dream of getting large volumes of snow... then I hear stories like these and I'm not as sure.

We're starting our spring yard cleanup today. Currently 52F at 10:30AM here in my corner of western WA. Sunny, mild breeze (for Feb.), and a forecast of highs in the mid fifties. Definitely smells like spring. Supposed to cool down to low 40s w/rain soon, though... more like normal. Like you, Craig, I think we'll see one more cold snap, too. Not uncommon for us to get a small, slushy snowfall or two in March.
    It was sunny and 45F at 1pm when I went out to wash my car. As I was washing, the sun went away, the wind picked up, and at one point there were snow flurries! Now, I have been in some dumb situations in my life, but washing a car on a cold windy day with snow flurries moves to the top of the list. I felt like a popsicle when I came in the house a couple hours later, especially when I saw the thermometer showing temps had dropped into the mid 30s. But at least I got one car washed. They use a lot of sand and gravel on the roads in WV (better for the environment than salt) and boy does it make a mess. I was washing sand out of nooks and crannies I didn't know existed and I am sure there is more dirt trapped in the undercarriage. What a mess.

Craig
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Your renewal of OCD membership has been granted :P

-Brian
    We're finding the ice supports the body weight of a GF and a BG as well. And without any under-body protection, it makes getting away from the curb (and through the plow berms) a little dicey. In fact, the BG was frozen in. It took a good 10 minutes to rock it out.

I have seen multiple cars on the roadside with caved in windscreens, and very nearly lost mine as well. I have also seen 2 in the neigborhood, where ice chunks gave way from tall trees and crashed through the glass of cars parked below.

I have missed the FXT's LSD a little bit this go-round. But the GF hasn't gotten stuck (nor has the BG). I will say, these conditions were almost too much for A/S tires, first time I've ever really felt that way. 20" of snow wasn't a problem for the tires the way this ice and extreme (for us) cold is. I don't know if it's worth the trade-off in overall winter sport handling to run winter tires instead of HP A/S for how rare an occurence it is, though
    I'm a little worried about this Wednesday, as they're calling for rain. If that happens, and it re-freezes, my driveway will be be flat out treacherous—even to walk on. Right now there's at least a little "tooth" to it for traction (foot and car), but if it rains, it will be smooth like an iceberg.

Bob
    This morning when I logged on, I went to the "problems and solutions" board which is one of my tracked threads .. instead of "problems and solutions" I got "care and maintenance" .. what's up guys ???!!!!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You need one of these:

See more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

(and here's one for you Bren, since you don't like people tweaking the discussion titles around here: Bad Audi)
    Yep. A Nash Metropolitan on prosthetics. :)

Bob
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    I went to the P & S board and it loaded correctly? Subaru Crew Main Board doesn't list Care and Maintenance. It was for Subaru correct? I know we re-opened and re-named a Care and Maintenance thread on the Caliber board but that's unrelated.

Hmm. :confuse:
    Speaking of this site—it's been erratic for some time now. I wish Edmunds would get it fixed. This morning I had to log in before accessing. Usually, if I haven't been here for several hours, it takes two tries before I can log on. Very frustrating.

Bob
    for that one thread it showed as if all the messages were 'new' ... not just the ones i hadn't read yet, but the other boards i read regularly were 'ok' ...
    I had the same problem as ladywclass, like 9000 unread. But when I hit catch up and it went away.

-mike
    Just noticed my son's Outback Sport and my WRX both have a nice dent on the lower edge of the front bumper thanks to hitting a large chunk of ice going up our driveway. Both cars have almost identical dents in the exact same spot!

This is due to low ground clearance and a lousy angle of approach. In this kind of weather I really do wish I still had a 4x4 truck :(

Bob
    I have to log in multiple times every time I come here. Actually, I've discovered that all I need to do is hit refresh 4-5 times in a row, that gets me in 4 times out of 5.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    I had the same experience. Two topics were merged into Care and Maintenance.
    Sounds like the kind of goofup I run into, and have to see twice! (I won't name names, but someone in my household opened a door from one car into the other, damaging both!).

Those lower parts are plastic, right? Is it just a scrape in the paint that can be filled?

If it's any consolation, I watched a guy "beach" his Audi on some snow the other day when he pulled into a spot at the local ski area. He immediately backed out and ripped the bumper cover loose from the bottom, and then grille parts and trim rings went flying forward! It was a rather fantastic spectacle to see the bumper blow apart like that.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Wait when I check tracked topics I did see the 9,000 some new posts but "catching" up cleared it out for me. Glitch?

As for the log in issues, it seems to be an issue sometimes with IE. I use Firefox and never had problems.

ladywclass are you still having issues?
    Both cars have a good size dent, 3" – 4" and probably a good 1" deep, right on the bottom corner edge of the plastic bumper on the driver's side.

Bob
  • toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    It has been bitterly cold at the head of the lakes for almost a month. The bay is frozen over - the ice is over a foot thick. So this past Sunday people were out walking or ice skating around. The ice fishermen were out a little further trying to catch lake trout. Of course, we've had little or no snow in our area.

Nice pics! :)

Bob
    I had a reply email that the name of the thread had been changed to "care and maintenance" so I suppose that's why it 'reset' the number to be read ...
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Yep, Brenda. It's totally wacked!
    From the software's point of view anyway :P

New name = new discussion = new posts

I THOUGHT some of those posts looked familiar as I was catching up!!
    Guys, going to need some luck this weekend down at VIR. It's our first race as a team with the new car. Wanted to thank the good folks here who have helped us get to this point. Especially helping to orchestrate my purchasing the 1994 Legacy Turbo from a fellow member in Texas almost 3 years ago this spring. It has now come full circle and the car is race ready! We will be doing the Friday practice with a sprint race on Saturday against Nissan SERs and Sunday morning a sprint race in the AM. Sunday afternoon we will be competing against Spec Miatas in a 3-hour Enduro Race.

Details of the car:
    1994 Subaru Legacy Turbo 5MT
    Grahm Goode Turbo Back 3.5" Exhaust
    FHI 4-pot front Calipers
    DBA DB4000 Slotted and treated Rotors Front
    Mountain Vented stock rotors rear
    Hawk Blue Pads Front
    Hawk Black Pads Rear
    Goodridge SS Lines
    ATE Superblue Fluid
    Hella Micro DE HID Projector Fog Lights
    99 2.5RS 16" Rims
    Yokohama A048R Race Tires
    Toyo Proxy RA1s Race Rain Tires
    Faulken Azenis Sports Practice Tires
    GAB Coilover Struts Front and Rear may swap to JIC Coilovers midway through the weekend w/camber plates
    Autopower Rollcage Weld-in
    Tekk 5watt Radios with 1/4wave antenna
    STi Short Throw shifter w/linkage
    Sparco Evo 2000 Seat
    Sparco Removable Steering Wheel

That's it the rest is fairly stock.

Adam the driver won the ECHC- H5 Class last year, 1/2 way through the season he had it locked up! He is a long time 2.5RS owner since 1999 and we started Auto-xing and HPDEing together. Great driver. Alex will be our crew chief, and we have a few other support folks as well. I'll be managing and spotting/working the radios from the pits and Timing.

Anyone in the Danville, VA area that wants to come down and watch drop me an e-mail!

-Mike
    And don't forget to give us a full report! :shades:
    Will do, I'll snag pics too :) By the way, we are looking for sponsors if anyone out there is reading and is feeling generous....

-mike
    Bummer, Bob. That's what's nice about the Forester, especially with unpainted bumpers that fix themselves. Mine is fine.

The Miata, on the other hand...I'm sure I got some scratches when I got it out. Had to rock it, a lot, and this is after it had been stuck for 8 days!

I let it melt as much as I could, then carved a narrow path, but I had to back out up a slight incline.

After having lots of clearance, AWD, and snow tires, going to RWD with all seasons 4" off the ground is pretty much the opposite - horrible in these conditions.

-juice
    Good luck, mike.

I'm sorta helping coach my daughter's hoops team, mostly because I want to start my own team with my son later on. She plays Sat. afternoon. They're pretty good, too, haven't lost a game yet. :shades:

-juice
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Bummer, Bob. Can the dent be pushed out from the inside of the bumper?

Ken
    I don't know. It's kinda hard to get at.

Bob
    A heat gun and a toilet plunger. :D

-juice
    If you can't pull the dent OUT, maybe push everything else IN? :P

This would have the added benefit of reducing the silhouette of your car, making it more aerodynamic! LOL