Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• fandcfandc Member Posts: 51
    You've got road racing? We're still ice racing up here, it won't be warm enough for road racing for another two months! :cry:

http://tinyurl.com/38j6r9

Spot the Subaru out there.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Nice stuff on those Ice Racing pics. We have to trek all the way down to VA for winter road racing. LRP doesn't open til late march/early april.

-mike
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Hey Mike,

Best of Luck to you, Adam, Alex, and the rest of your team. Have a safe trip down there.

Mark
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Interesting, I went to check out how 98 Foresters are priced, and the one surprise was how many miles most of them have - most are well over 100k miles, and one is over 200k!

I guess 92k miles in my case is "low miles".

Not actively selling until April, probably, as I have to see the 08 Tribeca at the NY Auto Show before I decide what I'm gonna do.

The Fence is safe, for now.

-juice
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I may be late...my daughter is in a play today with her Brownies Troop. I'll try to make it.

-juice
    We'll keep the pizza warm and a beer cold for you! :P
    Good, 'cause I like cold pizza but not warm beer! :shades:

-juice
    Cold pizza... the perfect breakfast food!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    They don't make them like they used to:

link
    That might be a good thing. ;)

-juice
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Good luck Mike! It's a bummer you guys don't come out to the left coast!

tom
    Sorry about the bumper, Bob. :(

They have body guys that specialize in repairing those plastic bumper covers that get dented like that- maybe they can "pop" yours out?

I tried the hair dryer thing and trying to push the dent out from the inside-it didn't work- that plastic is really tough!

I heard a heat gun might do the trick though. But I was worried about the paint with the heat gun so I didn't try it.

tom
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Heatgun from the inside of the bumper.

I would wait for summer to roll around and let the bumper bake out in the sun, then rub the dent out.

-Dave
    I will repeat, hair dryer and a toilet plunger. ;)

But seriously, maybe some sort of suction to pull the dent out? Bob said access to the back of the bumper was impeded.

-juice
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    I must have missed a pic of the bumper.

Anyway, removing the bumper will avail access ti its back.
    I still think letting it bake in the sun would work better as the entire bumper will be at the same temp.

-Dave
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    If the bumper is not broken the dent will likely come out but expect the paint to crack when it does come, I second the advice to wait for hot weather before attempting anything.

Cheers Pat.
    Well, so far we are having issues :(

A stuttering problem on the legacy we had about 2 years ago came back. Could be a problem with the TPS, IAC, or some other ignition issue. We ordered up new plugs, wires, and fuel filter, disconnected the TPS and took it down the road, no issue, we'll see how it goes during the morning practice.

-mike
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    It's p-p-p-p-aisan, coming to p-p-p-p-pound us!

:P

Good luck getting the stutter fixed!
    Picked up Fuel filter, plugs and wires tonight so we'll swap them in tomorrow, also had to JB welded a crack in the downpipe that developed after we pulled it onto the trailer.

-mike
    Good luck again, mike.

Our weekend is really booked up, but with kids it's almost easier to keep 'em busy.

-juice
    Well, as your humble Crew Chief, I've been quietly lobbying SoA with the help of an old friend that shall remain nameless (every superhero has a disguise).

Any how, I have great news - we have successfully lobbied SoA to begin accepting Subaru Bucks on Certified Pre-Owned vehicles!

Previously, Subaru Bucks specifically stated that they were only for "New" products. We managed to convince them that Pre-Owned is not used, and that the certification process and especially the new warranty are essentially new products.

This will help SoA get the CPO program off the ground - I checked on Cars.com and they didn't even list Subaru as having such a program! I bet in a few months that changes.

Any how, the announcement will come in about a month or so, but I'll let you in on this little secret because let's face it, membership in the Crew has its privileges.

Cheers! :shades:

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Good job juice! :)

Bob
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Good news, juice. Way to go!

An old friend...wonder who that could be?

Ken
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I have two oil filters with crush washers for the older H6 engine on 01-04 Outbacks, and I have no use for them. Part # is SOA5165109. May work on the new H6 too, but I have no idea. If anybody wants them for the cost of mailing (probably $3-5 for the pair) let me know.

Craig
    Well a pretty bad day today.

Tried to fix the problem of the cutting out of the engine.

Started off swapping out wires, fuel filter, fuel pump.

Made it worse, figured it was the pump, put back the walbro pump. Still an issue, swapped back the wires, same problem. Went back to stock fuel filter (actually no filter) fixed the worse problem, but still the cutting out problem.

Swapped back in the new pump from an RS bled brakes and was going to test it, popped a front SS Line, :(

Overall a pretty expensive and poor day.

Tomorrow we'll swap the lines and see what happens...

-mike
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Sorry to hear that, Mike. Best of luck tomorrow.

Steve
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Sounds good. So, how is PM these days? I really should drop her a note with pics of the kids.
    If I end up getting a Tribeca I'll take 'em, but hopefully someone will claim them before then, as I don't think that would be earlier than April.

mike - sorry to hear that, did you get any snow, or was it just rain down there?

If you need a place to do a "pit stop" on the way home, gimme a call on my cell. I have a car port and at least a decent amount of tools.

We got wet snow up here, about 4" or so. Took the Forester out (with snow tires) to play around a bit, they're awesome. There was this Acura TL, brand new, stranded on my block, couldn't make it up the slushy hill with FWD. :D

So much for traction control! I had the kids with me but I went home and brought some sand, but by then a guy in a Grand Cherokee had pushed him up the hill.

Funny thing is I drove there and didn't even notice it was slippery!

-juice
    Got home last night after we had even more problems, threw a bearing during the sprint race sunday morning. We started dead last in our group of about 15 cars and quickly moved up (even with the sputtering above 4500 rpms) to about 4th in the group and 2nd in class, then the wheel bearing gave out as we were closing in on the SER who was 1st in our class. :(

On a side note, looking for a used LGT 5MT now for a daily driver.

-mike
    Hey Mike,

Sorry to hear about all the misfortunes you had over the weekend. At least it's the begining of the season, right?

Is the used LGT instead of the GTO you wanted?

Mark
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Yeah, that sounds like you had my kind of luck! I will be curious to know where the engine problems are coming from.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    It's p-p-p-p-aisan, coming to p-p-p-p-pound us!

Nobody likes jokes about disabilities.

:(
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    Variation on a movie quote, no harm intended (A Fish Called Wanda)
    Bat, yeah looked at the finances and realized a used LGT is better than a GTO so the search is on, I'm gonna throw the cash in the bank and wait til something comes along that I like at the right price.

-mike
    I loved that movie, but my wife couldn't stand it. What a cast, eh?

-juice
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I'm sure no harm inteneded but as a controlled stutterer, it bothers me.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    We had about 6" of heavy snow in a 3-hour stretch during the evening commute yesterday. It was unexpected, and backed up traffic for hours. Heck, quite a few folks couldn't even get out of the parking lot at work. Probably our deepest snowfall in a few years, here in our little corner of Puget Sound. Usually we get little and the areas around us get more, but this time it was just the opposite. DW & son walked to the park & made a giant snowman in just a few minutes - great snow for it! Felt good to get the Outback out into the slick stuff, too. No problems on the short drives to and from work. :D

One fellow I work with had the transmission go out on his Saturn on the way in to work, and after making some arrangements w/his wife, drove his van in. A couple miles from the office a car pulled in front of him... coulda been much worse, but he was able to do some careful avoidance in the snow and ended up only getting the side mirror folded in - no other dings or dents, amazingly. Poor guy was less than a foot from losing both of his family's vehicles in the same day!!

Anyway... it's just starting to melt in the sunshine now, but it'll be gone in a day-and-a-half, I bet, when the rain moves in. Get ready, midwesterners... it's headed your way now!

How'd our Spokane & Idaho folks fair? Still getting snow?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The local hill has been getting 3 or 4 inches every day for more than a week now down here in Boise. It's falling so thick up there right now I didn't bother going up to ride since I can't see squat in those conditions and I get vertigo. I'm not complaining about a couple of feet of powder piling up but a bluebird day will be nice. :shades:

As usual, it's sunny and there's no snow on the ground in town.
    We expect just rain here in the Mid Atlantic.

Last week's snow was nice and wet, and made for great snow men. We built one about 6' high at my daughter's school.

The cool part was that she showed all her friends the next day. :shades:

-juice
  • toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    Up here at the head of the lakes we're having blizzard conditions. The weather guessers are saying when it's done about 2' will have fallen. But it's kinda hard to check snow depth when the snow is blowing sideways at up to 45mph.

But the Subaru ('98 OBW Ltd 5 spd) with Blizzaks at all four corners goes through the snow pretty good. Just need a couple more inches of clearance. :P

MNSteve
    05:20PM PRESS RELEASE: Subaru of America, Inc. Names New Chairman
    - Ishigami retires after leading company to three consecutive sales records
    Subaru of America, Inc. today
    announced that Mr. Tomohiko Ikeda has been appointed chairman, president and
    chief executive officer effective April 1.

And this after we met the outoging Chairman during the 48hrs of Tristate in January where Mr. Ishigami had seemed interested in what we were doing and why.

Mark
  • hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    We got a dump yesterday morning, but really wet stuff that was mostly gone by afternoon. Got a skiff this morning, essentially a non-event.
    Lots of snow, however, here (eat your heart out, Steve!)

http://www.skilookout.com/ski/snow_report_view.php

30 inches last week - getting dumped on again!

Cheers!
    Paul
    As hard as it's supposed to rain, I think Noah is coming for a visit! :P
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    We had about an inch of slush/sleet this morning, even with a bit of thunder and lightning. The rest of the day is rained a bit, and then downpoured this afternoon. As they say, March came in like a lion.

-Brian
    Yeah, Bob blogged that for Straightline. I caught it a couple of days ago in an Automotive News alert.

Haven't heard anything about the new guy, I hope he's progressive and e-savvy.

-juice
    According to the article Ikeda was a VP at SOA from 1998-2002 where he was responsible for business planning, mgt of capital assets, and sales & marketing co-ordination with FHI. So he has experience here in the US. As for being e-savvy, all car manufacturers have to be now-a-days, right? With everyone using the internet to research and buy cars I can't see FHI appointing someone who is not aware.

Mark
    Seems like FHI has always kept SoA under close control, though, and it doesn't look like that's gonna change any time soon.

-juice
    This has been one long winter for us, but at least there's a ton of snow!

Hey Paul, how much is it to rent the whole mountain? (It says you can on their website)

I'll have to come over and ski in Idaho sometime- I heard the snow there's great!

Was down at Mt Hood last week- was a lot of fun and great for the kids.

enjoy while it lasts Paul!

tom
  • hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    Gee, I don't know - it would have to be a Tuesday or Wednesday - their usual days off. I can ask Sunday.
    153 inches at the summit! And the snow is really good - softens up just nicely for carving. Monday was a couple inches of fresh pow over groomed - perfect!

Cheers!
    Paul