Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    Who.... me?! That's because I WOULDN'T!!! :P
    Okay, maybe... maybe I would. :blush:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Hi Everyone

It took me a while to figure out where Edmunds moved the forums!

If I don't get back before Christmas here's to wishing everyone a merry and safe Christmas!

With inflation maybe we should increase the limit??? ;)

IF we have to stay at a mere $100k, then I'd like:

Toyota Land Cruiser $78k

Toyota Prius to offset the fuel costs of the Land Cruiser???
    Not really sure what to do with the other $22k. :(

(BRZ is a great choice too! ;) I took mine out for an Autocross practice in the rain a few weeks ago- it was too much fun!)

Be safe everyone!

Tom
    If the TLC came with a nice diesel engine, I might be able to justify putting it on my list. I almost put a diesel SUV on there in place of the MINI and Jetta wagon, but darn it, I just really want a MINI. :blush:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It took me a while to figure out where Edmunds moved the forums!

We're what's hot now. :shades:

New rides? Prius v, Miata and some new road/mtn bikes to play with. So, $60k for the cars tricked out and $40k for the bikes at $10k each. Perfect. :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That only comes to $94K

Save the $6,000 for tires. ;)
    The B9 Scrambler is ours and we're not sharing with anyone else!
    edited December 2012
    Toyota Prius to offset the fuel costs of the Land Cruiser???

Funny! :D

Or maybe $22k for gas money.
    Hahaha! If only you were kidding.... :sick:
  • colin_lcolin_l Member Posts: 591
    Toyota Land Cruiser $78k

This number is just mind boggling since my dad had a FJ LandCruiser for 10 years when I was a growing up, and it was a cheap, army jeep-like, no frills offroad machine.

I know the LandCruiser has been a luxury SUV for a long, long time. But $78k-- sheesh, what does the Lexus version fetch??
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    A fool and his money with soon be parted.

I paid $13K for my '88 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4. I doubt you can touch one now for under $33K. OUCH.
    In the CCB thread someone got a Ram Hemi for under $20k. It's possible if you really look and keep out of the options.
  • hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    edited December 2012
    My kids are parade-bound!

(from the Facebook posting a couple hours ago):

"It is our privilege to announce that the Central Valley High School Marching Band and Colorguard have been invited by the 2013 Presidential Inaugural Committee to represent the great state of Washington in next month’s Inaugural Parade in Washington D.C.

The band will depart January 17th and stay in Baltimore, MD while they perform at the Presidential Inaugural Heritage Music Festival in Brooklyn Park, Maryland and march in the world televised Presidential Parade on Monday, January 21st!

The band will perform a series of patriotic tunes including When Johnny Comes Marching Home, Shenandoah, Battle Cry of Freedom and the Battle Hymn of the Republic. Follow the band as they prepare for this amazing opportunity to represent the state, our great Spokane Valley community and of course the “best in the west,” Central Valley High School on Facebook at www.facebook.com/cvmarchingband.

This promises to be an experience of a lifetime for our talented students. Congratulations!!!"
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    edited December 2012
    Excellent!! What a wonderful experience for your kids. Cannot beat that kind of day away from school!!

We finished our season with the annual awards ceremony last week, delayed several times by weather. Our last outing was in early November at MetLife Stadium (Giant's Stadium) at the Meadowlands in NJ for the USB (Eastern States) two day Championships where we finished in 3rd place. Overall a decent season.

On a sad note, we just barely beat Newtown at a meeting in Danbury, CT back in September, and placed a few points above them at MetLife. We sat just behind their parent 'block' them in Danbury. A tight-knit community of upstanding citizens.
    The inauguration event has become a symbol of American government's wanton waste. A damn shame, really.

Congratulations to your young ones nonetheless!
    Cool, congrats. Ping us with a reminder the day before, will ya?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Excellent! It's great to be honored for such an important event. You are proud, and rightly so. :)

Bob
  • hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    Reminders forthcoming.
    Now the fun part begins, starting with security: Vital statistics & photos of 136 kids to be electronically sent to the feds by 1/31. Recruiting parents with HD digital cameras to have group photo shoots this week and next. Of course, this all comes 2 days after Christmas break starts. :sick:
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    Paul, congrats to you and your band on this true honor...definitely a trip to remember!

As for the 100k think, I need to split between old and new
    New: a BRZ - $25k
    Old: a 1970-1972 numbers matching 911S - $75-80k
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Now guys believe me when I say I really really like you, and I believe in sharing, but, I wish to hell you would keep your miserable weather systems south of the border. We are under a severe winter storm warning :cry: with 30 centimeters or more of mixed snow and freezing rain :sick: , courtesy of a Colorado low.

Cheers Pat.
    I would love weather like that right about now! -40 here. The good news is that the predicted low for tonight is up to a paltry -58F (-50C), up from -62 earlier today. :shades:
    That's just plain nasty! You are a better man than I for putting up with it.
    So many flights cancelled and trouble for those last minute gifts being shipped!

All DC is getting is strong winds...hopefully no power outages.
    Whew, too cold for me. You're in Fairbanks, correct?

Are Subarus big sellers up there? I would think they would be pretty popular. It also amazes me that diesels work in those kind of temps. Owners must run them 24/7, and have diesel heaters to keep the fuel from becoming molasses-like.

Bob
    Nah, I guess I just wouldn't there. It is bad enough here in Jan. Feb when temps. are typically -30 to- 35 mean temp Celsius. lower with windchill.

My old bones are protesting, mainly my knees which are shot, right hip isn't far behind. Sucks to be getting older. Rita says no wiser. :D

Cheers Pat.
    edited December 2012
    Hahahaha. Yeah, my wife says the same thing. ;)

I don't think i could handle -30/35 with wind on top of that. We had some -23C stuff earlier this year that included some ~20kph winds, and that was just horrid. HORRID! :mad:

As it was, it didn't get down below -43C last night. Still too cold, but no -60F (-51C).

Bob, Subarus are quite popular here. I'd say one in four vehicles here are of that brand, and it probably wouldn't be an overly optimistic statement. We use #1 diesel in the pumps during winter months, which is good down to any temps we generally see. It doesn't have quite the energy content of #2, though, so FE is impacted.
    edited December 2012
    I bet this guy with a leaky manifold is a neighbor of yours. Nothing like toting the battery inside every night to keep it from dying and then putting it back in the truck in the morning - at 40 below. :D
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    It's been quite a while and I had to go through more than 10 pages to get caught up! Glad to hear that everyone is doing well and extremely busy with life in general. I'm not sure where the year went.

Here's my recap: Mikey is doing well. He is recovered from his kidney issue and had been released from follow-up trips to Boston. Woo-Hoo! Spent the spring, summer and most of the fall driving my completely refurbished 1983 Mustang GT. What a blast! I put more miles on it this year than the last 15 years combined. The 09 Outback is now up to 16k, and the 05 Legacy GT is about to cross 130k. I'm in the market for a new car, but not sure what to get. I was disappointed when they dropped the automatic in the Legacy GT in '10, and even more now the Legacy GT is gone altogether. Karen and Mikey had me placed in a blue BRZ that they saw in the showroom, but I'm not sure it is a good winter car. I may go for a 3.6R Limited sedan. Subaru #7 is in the near future.

I want to wish everyone the best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Rob M.
    edited December 2012
    Good to hear from you Rob, as always give Mikey my best. Happy car shopping, I hope you have better luck bodywise this time. I remember the GT was a victim of a bad hailstorm. The Mustang was also a storm victim as I recall.

Cheers Pat.
    I want to take this opportunity to wish everyone a happy and Holy Christmas from Rita and myself. My wish is for peace and an end to the gun violence.

Cheers Pat.
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    Read it, Colin. The writer expresses many of my own beliefs in a much more coherent way than *I* could!
    I can identify with the "arguing with both sides" in the intro!
    The weekend after the shooting, I posted this on my FB page:

For the last few days I listened to the national debate, read the comments on FB, visited various web pages that promote a number of strong opinions, and talked to co-workers. Somehow, I’m not sure that as a people we really get it, or are ready to move forward in any significant way. For there to be any meaningful change that addresses our President’s challenge to repair this nation, we all need to be willing to give a bit on a number of fronts. In no specific order:

A) Mental Health support. For all that we know about the workings of the mind, we seem to do little to really help those that display real needs.
    B) Control of weapons with firepower that go beyond the needs of the average hunter or home defender.
    C) A hard look at the violent nature and the desensitization caused by gaming and other media.
    D) How we report the news and what too often becomes the glorification of the perpetrator.

Anyone who digs in his heels and is not willing to give an inch on any of these really shows an indifference to the issues. If we do nothing now, we’ll get to relive this or worse again next month. I’ve had enough. How about you?

So yes, mental health first. But I think after listening to the worthless response from the NRA, I’m becoming more convinced that certain weapons simply have no place in society. I think we’d all agree that the Brady Bill, as well meaning as it was, had enough loopholes and ambiguities that it was of limited value in solving the problem.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/17/everything-you-need-t- o-know-about-banning-assault-weapons-in-one-post/

For all the talk about Second Amendment Rights, I’m constantly aware that our First Amendment Right to Freedom of Speech has been abridged by hundreds of Federal, State & Local laws. Many of these laws are defended as being in the interest of public safety and the greater good. I’m coming around to seeing the gun issue in the same light.

I’m curious as to how Graham will weigh in on this, but I’m coming to see the Australia solution – a total civilian ban on certain types of weapons – as a great start.

http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/12/6/365.full
    As someone who was born and reared in Belfast, and who lived through the worst of the troubles there 1968-1974 I am certainly no stranger to violence and tragedy.
    I cannot for the life of me understand how the access to assault rifles and dum-dum ammunition to the general population can be justified. Stuff like this should in my opinion be restricted to military and law enforcement.

When you have a wingnut like Wayne LaPierre spouting nonsense you have an uphill battle for any sort of change.

Cheers Pat.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

I am loathe to weigh in on this one, which is way off the main topic. Also, I often think that there are times where we are two countries divided by a common language.

However the Australian experience is enlightening.

Australia has a lot of common culture with America and was historically, like the USA, pretty comfortable with gun ownership. However there were a steady stream of mass shootings, which averaged about one per annum - probably a little more pro-rata than you see in the USA, where your population is about fifteen times that of Australia. I was too close for comfort to two of them in the late '80s; one where a nutter was sniping at passing vehicles (rather too successfully) and another which erupted 200 metres from my office. Some legislation occurred in my home state in the wake of these events, having an immediate effect. However the effects were uneven.

That came to a head in 1996 when a "Spree Killer", Martin Bryant killed 35 and injured 21 at Port Arthur in Tasmania. This occurred shortly after the election of a conservative (Liberal and National (Country) Party coalition - the right wing force in Australian politics, analogous to the Republican Party in the USA). Australia is, like the USA, a Commonwealth of independent states, although there is more conscious effort to align legislation; easier with eight States and Territories than fifty odd!

The Prime Minister, John Howard (who was somewhat to the right of Ronald Reagan) moved quickly to enact gun control legislation, taking the state governments along on a concerted effort to ban Automatic and Semi-Automatic Weapons, enforce strict registration requirements for shooters and weapons, rigidly enforce gun security wherever held and to arrange a buy back of all outlawed weapons.

It was very painful at the time, but John Howard now states that it was the single greatest achievement of his government. Since then, there have been no further mass shootings. Gun homicides dropped dramatically and gun suicides likewise, Oddly, there was no displacement from gun-suicide or homicide to other forms of suicide or homicide. This translates to about 200 fewer Australians being killed each year.

http://guncontrol.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/1995-2006-1.png

http://guncontrol.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/1995-2006-2.png

There was some tidying up of the laws in various areas in subsequent years; some years after the original legislation, a student at my former university shot two people with handguns and ownership laws were tightened for them.

Oddly, the reduction in gun related deaths has continued downward; conversely, the number or registered shooters enjoying legal gun ownership has increased, although well regulated and dramatically safer.

Legitimate shooters still enjoy their sport. The hunting is great as we have huge empty spaces with good (and edible) catches available.

The legislation has been effective.

Now, back to something car related.

Cheers

Graham
    edited December 2012
    The argument about reloading instantly is a bit weak. They show a guy who belongs in the Guinness Book of World Records, doesn't mean Adam Lanza could have done the same.

Muggsy Bogues could jump high enough to dunk, and he was 5'3". No one else can jump that high, and it certainly doesn't mean Adam Lanza could dunk.

But even if we ignore that, who needs 30 rounds to hit their target? 31 if you include the one in the barrel?

Is anyone *that* bad of an aim? You can't hit your target in ten shots? 3, even?

If so, aren't they too stupid to own a gun? :confuse:

Who besides SWAT/Military need that kind of fire power?

In Germany the AR-15 is limited to two (!) bullets in the magazine. So even with one in the barrel, Adam would have:

3 shots
    reload
    2 shots
    reload
    2 shots
    reload

By then he would have been tackled (at least 2 adults charged him), or at least the kids could have a chance to run away.

There's no way, no how, even beyond anyone's wildest imagination, he could have killed 20 children that way.

While I don't own guns I have no qualms with responsible gun ownership. But 30 rounds per magazine doesn't seem to pass any reasonable standards of that, IMHO.

Having said that any new regulations will fail due to the inevitable porous loopholes.
    My '97 Outback, my sister's '05 Forester, and my nephew's girlfriend's '05 Outback.

Must be a record for the number of Subarus in a single driveway in Tennessee. :)
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    See the news yesterday from Indiana? Well, we were at in-laws in the northeast bands of that storm. Glad we were in the Subaru so we could get home yesterday! What is usually about 90 min to go from house to house became about 2.5 hours ... no problem.
    We drove south that way and beat the storm by a day.
    When my family comes over we've had our 09 Forester, dad's 02 Outback, sis' 08 Forester, and bro's 11 Forester at the same time. :shades:

We got some sleet/snow yesterday, but very light. I still took the Forester to work. Traffic was *very* light but the onboard computer said I got 27.0 mpg driving downtown, though it was probably 26 or so.

Love those heated seats. Gotta remember that for my next car.
    juice, you don't have to do without heated seats, you can have them installed aftermarket. Or if you are handy you can do it yourself. I installed them myself in both the Mazda323 and Protege5 that we had. I wouldn't own a car now without them.

Cheers Pat.
    That's why I admire you so much buddy!
    Well thanks for the compliment juice, if we lived closer I would do it for you, or at least help so you could see it is not that difficult.

Cheers Pat.
    Well, I've done a lot myself but the whole hog ring thing scares me away.
    It's just like everything else just take your time. Actually how I originally learned to take seats apart and rebuild them,was to get an old seat either from a wreckers yard or a junker, then take it apart and reassemble until I could do it blindfold. This way you gain experience without screwing up your good seat.

You can get hog ring pliers for about ten bucks from the like of Harbour Freight, or stores like them, our equivalent in Canada is Princess Auto, you can get hog rings there too. Even if you never do your own seats, you should do this to learn another skill. I am a big believer in lifelong learning.

Cheers Pat.
    A guy up the road from me (his house was built by the same little builder that did our place) has 4 Outback wagons - one of each generation. Someday I need to get over there and snap a picture before he decides to part with any of them.

We wanted to beat the storm home on Saturday, so I took a cat-nap from 9 PM to 1:30 AM on Friday night. Piled the family into the car and left Spotsylvania, VA at 2:30 AM and arrived home in NY at 8 AM Saturday morning. Nice easy drive at that hour! Haven't done anything that crazy in 20 years, but it worked great.
    We've done that a few times, too, Steve, and it is generally a very nice, quiet drive! It wreaks havoc on the sleep schedule, but that's fixable....
    Scared of hog rings... what? Juice, those things are incredibly easy to use. I burned through a couple 100 piece boxes of them a few months ago while building some rabbit hutches.

Do it. :shades:
    It is more not wrinkling up the seat and ruining the way it looks. Pat's idea of practicing is a good one.

I installed a vinyl top on the Miata and swore I was done with that type of thing on cars, though it turned out well.
    To the Crew and friends!

2012 was a tough year for us, I lost a dear cousin and my wife lost her father, so here's hoping for a much better 2013!
    edited December 2012
    Yes! Happy New Year everyone!!

Sorry to hear about your losses AJ. Please send Lana my sincere condolences. I wasn't aware of her dad's passing. Yes, a tough, tough year for you guys.

Bob