Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I'll be waiting w/itchy fingers! LOL

Stephen
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    I have a pretty good recipe (nah- it's fabulous!) for BBQ ribs - from a resort at Priest Lake, Idaho... world famous, etc etc... keep it on topic & say that I've driven there in the OB, and probably gotten the sauce on my fingers & sttering wheel (does this mean I can cross-post in the Cleaning forum?) I'd post it here if anyone's interested.

Cheers!
    Paul
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Boog is the man. I'm hungry again!

I'll be at the chat even though I haven't the foggiest idea about XC skiing! ;-)

-juice
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    10% of the company laid off today. Made another one. That makes 4-5 layoffs I've lived through. For those in semiconductors - you know the feeling! WRX dreams still on track.

Hope to be there tonight. Not sure if I can make the hat time. :)

Greg
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I did process development work in ceramic capacitors during summers in college. The company I worked for has been laying off quite a bit in the last few years. My wife's company laid off big last month and may get another hit in January. I gotta hold down the fort for the time being.

Hang in there. Don't know if I'll make the chat as I've never skiied in my life - only driven a ski boat a couple of times.

Ed
    Greg: polish up that resume anyway, you never know. Better to be ready just in case. Glad you're still employed, of course.

What do you ask XC Skiers? I've never tried it, haven't a clue about the sport. Are these guys going to the Olympics?

-juice
    I've never tried XC skiing but have been curious. I'm still having too much fun getting better at downhill. I really didn't know what to ask the Factory Team. Maybe I should have asked them their favorite Subaru or if htey drive one, :-)

Stephen
  • miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    I get:

Welcome to our chat room

and nothing else on WinXP/IE6. Anyone have success?

..Mike

..Mike

I downhill ski mostly, too.

The chat is busy, maybe the room is full? Not sure, but I do not recognize lots of the names there, so I imagine lots are XC skiing enthusiasts just visiting for the chat.

-juice

PS Using NT2000/IE5
  • kameelekameele Member Posts: 29
    I tried to log into the chat room at what I thought was 9:20 and all I got was a "the room is now closed" message. Not that I probably had a chance at the hats, but maybe everyone wanted one and it crashed the room?

Kevin
    Maybe it's a WinXP thing. No ski hat for me :(

..Mike

Well, I got in at about 8:55 (Eastern), but it's working fine for me.

-juice
    Oh, well. I'll read the transcript.

..Mike

..Mike

Bingo - try www.dreamofit.com. They said first 15 to sign up for the updates would also get hats.

Interesting - he drives a 1992 Loyale with 130k miles and going strong!

-juice
    Get the "chat is now closed" (read: go home you loser) ;-)

Greg
    couldn't get in. I enjoyed catching up on the posts though. Checked out photopoint so I can finally share my photos. Think I'll join this weekend. Keep you posted.

Greg
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Actually Cross Country Skiing is really good fun. If you can skate or roller blade, you can ski. You avoid all of the dorks in fancy clothing that populate ski resorts and get to ski in really nice back country. Physically, it is a fiar workout but a steady low intensity activity ideally suited to the less athletic of us.

I am probably deeply unfashionable but used to ski in old woollen army pants and layers on the top half. A day pack with rough rations, a water bottle (you sweat like a pig when going hard) and basic survival gear and good maps (and a compass) and life is bliss.

I guess it helps that I look out from my parents country home and can judge the snow cover on a large expanse of the Australian Alps which are snow covered from June to early October. At this time of year, there is good walking in the same country.

This is the sort of country where a Subaru is in its element. Subaru have sponsored the Australian ski team for about twenty years. Old Libertys (Leagacy to you) are the car of choice for many skiers. No pose but superbly practical and no need to fit chains most of the year.

It qiuite makes me feel jealous of you folks slipping into winter.

Cheers

Graham
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Graham- Don't sell XC skiing short. It may be "low intensity" when you go slow but speed up and it's an excellent high intensity low-impact cardiovascular workout (hence the reason you sweat like a pig). For anyone who's been on one or seen the ads, the Nordic Track essentially approximates the act of XC skiing. And while XC skiing doesn't provide quite the thrill level of a steep downhill ski run, it does provide an opportunity to commune with nature while shooshing thru tranquil snow covered forests and meadows.

-Frank P.
  • tristessatristessa Member Posts: 10
    Those acceleration times posted in magazines for cars....

Are they acheived by dumping the clutch? I'm not a stick driver, so please forgive my ignorance.

And what is the best (not necessarily best for the car) way to get a good launch at a stoplight? I am curious about how people strike a balance between long-term reliability and having the occasional thrill ride.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Stoplight launches. Are you talking MT or AT? On my AT I usually hold the brake and gas it up to 2000-2500rpms, then let go of the brake, this gives me a decent launch without being a neutral drop and killing the tranny.

-mike
  • tristessatristessa Member Posts: 10
    I'm talking MT. I drive a Legacy with auto so I won't race anybody. Unless I'm cruising along at 60km/h, (yeah I'm Canadian) I like to drop it into 2nd and punch the throttle. That's about the only time it really goes.

Ryan
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    My understanding, based on reading Car and Driver for about 20 years, is that they try a bunch of different techniques to get the best launch. I think the best numbers on a manual transmission car with AWD usually come from revving the engine and dumping the clutch. CandD admitted this was the best launch technique for the WRX, in fact. This approach would not do much but smoke the tires on a RWD car, however.

I used to get the best launch times on my 97 Prelude by feeding it more gas as I slipped the clutch on launch (that FWD car would also smoke the tires if I dumped the clutch at high RPM). There was a fine line between power and slippage that worked great when you could hit it, and I never smelt any clutch-fry either. But, I did not do this more than 5-6 times over 3 years of ownership. It is just not good for the clutch on a regular basis. The car was fast enough under normal driving anyway.

Craig
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    I was watching Speedvision last night/this morning (couldn't sleep), and I saw a program called Speedvision Showcase where they featured nothing but Subaru for a half hour. Nothing new really, but one thing did strike me as highly unusual. They showed more pictures, both moving and still of the STX (Brat-not), and I was amazed at the rear overhang. It was HUGE! It looked unlike any Subaru I'd ever seen. I hope it doesn't go into production that way. Seems very restrictive for the type of activity this car is being marketed towards. Has anyone noticed this before?

Jim
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    This is an infomercial that Subaru has been airing for some time. It's rather old, and needs to be updated.

Bob
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Ryan - I'm pretty sure that in one of the early C&D WRX reviews, they actually say the best time was achieved by 4,000 rpm clutch dumps.

I wouldn't do too many of those brake stands with an auto. mike, do you do that at every auto-x? Wouldn't it cause things to heat up? (ATF, brakes, etc.)

Dennis
    2000 RPMs is only ~1200rpms more than w/o it. Brakes are fine (no movement in the wheels with the brakes applied no extra heat) ATF Torque converter can be damaged but so long as you don't do it at every traffic light or every time you drive it should be ok.

-mike
    I have it on videotape, but I still can't resist watching it when it's on. They do show a lot of the older Impreza, which may be confusing for some.
    There's also a mistake by the announcer. VCD instead of VDC. SoA should let Edmunds preview these things before airing. :-D

Dennis
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    mike is correct, and if you installed a smaller torque converter, you could brake-torque it safely to higher rpms.

it would also require higher revs a low speeds though. my camaro won't budge from a stoplight until you hit 3200 rpm or so.

about MT launches, the WRX is different because it has plenty of power. anyone that doesn't have a WRX will find their best launch by slipping the clutch briefly around 3,000 or 4,000 rpm and once the car gets rolling let the clutch up the rest of the way quickly while simultaneously mashing the throttle. if you smell burning clutch, that's too much gas or too slow on the clutch release. if you bog it, too fast on the clutch.

the WRX is different in terms of absolute best time, but you should find that the above will work pretty well on it too. difference being, if you rev it up and drop the clutch it will break the tires loose unlike any other subaru product, which will bog. not a good idea for longevity either way, honestly.

-Colin
    I get the best launch times doing exactly as you posted. The trick, as you point out, is perfecting the technique. BTW, the clutch smell is rancid, :-)

Stephen
    I knew we could count on Graham for little good story telling. :-)

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    For those who follow GM, which means most of us now that Subaru is partially under their umbrella, there is a new site (affiliated with BON) on inside GM issues. Could be a good site to get some inside news on Subaru...

Bob

http://www.gminsidenews.com/
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Well got up this morning to Ottawa,s first snowfall of the year, about 4 or 5 inchs of fresh snow.

Cheers Pat.
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    You lucky dog. Vancouver has rain, rain, and for variety, some rain today. ;-( Still, rain is good Subie weather.

Ross
    Took a long time to get here hang in there.

Cheers Pat.
  • pattim3pattim3 Member Posts: 533
    I can't wait for some of the white stuff here. From what I understand, the east is supposed to get belted with it this winter, but so far, the forcasters have been waaaayyyy off.

Have fun and be safe!

Patti
    The Farmer's Almanac called for freezing temps when it was about 70 degrees last week! I could have left my veggies in, or at least grown a fall crop (does broccoli go with turbot?) had I known it would stay warm this late.

Bob: nothing on Subaru that I saw. Still interesting to keep updated.

-juice
  • 1subydown1togo1subydown1togo Member Posts: 348
    Please remove the link to the Karl Scheible poster...it isn't showing up and it causes this board to take quite a few minutes to load..all I see is a red x where the poster used to be...am I the only one?
    It's failing for me, too.

-juice
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    PhotoPoint is down (again).

FWIW, Imagestation.com is still free and up and running.

-Brian
    It,s snowing today again, they are calling for about 4 inchs again, looks like it is going to stay.

Cheers Pat.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    at this time last year, we had a good foot of snow and it was bitter cold.

so far, no snow this year. :(

at least a white christmas would be nice!

-Brian
    I just got my Dunlop Wintersports installed Sat on the WRX. We had a weekend of high wind and rain but no snow in the urban area of Seattle. The Dunlops are a little rougher riding than the RE92s but not by much to my pleasant surprise. They do well in the rain but I'm talking snow...bring me some please...:-)

Stephen
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    is somewhere else other than here... all melted, washed away in the rain, or otherwise imported to somewhere other than here. Somebody has it somewhere, but it's 40F & sunny here today! Wish some snow would stick.. my yard looks so much better with it than without.

Cheers!
    Paul
    If you e-mail me the pic, I can host it on my website.

-mike
    Picked up the 2nd XT6 yesterday. Car is in good shape. New Cat and Exhaust, oil pump, timing belt, water pump, re-painted. Pics can be found at http://isuzu-suvs.com/xt6.html

Needs:

Rear Suspension

Power Steering

A/C re-charge

Clutch adjustment

But it's an MT and has the nice 50/50 split + the center locking diffy! :)

-mike

Two old school Subies. :-)
    Use one for auto-x and add a lift-kit to the other for off-roading.

-Dennis
    The XT6 is not ever going to be setup for off-roading. It's not that type of car! I can go on about an idiot who tried to do that with his XT6 but I won't! :) The AT will be my daily driver and the new one will likely become a trailer queen for track events and auto-x.

-mike
    I get the feeling the MT XT6 will become paisan's auto-x car while the AT XT6 is fitted for driving on rough surfaces. Based on our observation of the XT6 in the Pine Barrens I'm not sure he'll want to go that route, especially with the Trooper in the stable. ;-)

Ed
    edit: Ah, I see paisan got in before me and confirmed some of that! ;-p
    :)

-mike
    If you knew how badly I've been doing in the football pool you wouldn't say that.

Ed