Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• barresa62barresa62 Posts: 1,379
    I'll be waiting w/itchy fingers! LOL

Stephen
  • I have a pretty good recipe (nah- it's fabulous!) for BBQ ribs - from a resort at Priest Lake, Idaho... world famous, etc etc... keep it on topic & say that I've driven there in the OB, and probably gotten the sauce on my fingers & sttering wheel (does this mean I can cross-post in the Cleaning forum?) I'd post it here if anyone's interested.

Cheers!
    Paul
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Boog is the man. I'm hungry again!

I'll be at the chat even though I haven't the foggiest idea about XC skiing! ;-)

-juice
  • nygregnygreg Posts: 1,936
    10% of the company laid off today. Made another one. That makes 4-5 layoffs I've lived through. For those in semiconductors - you know the feeling! WRX dreams still on track.

Hope to be there tonight. Not sure if I can make the hat time. :)

Greg
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    I did process development work in ceramic capacitors during summers in college. The company I worked for has been laying off quite a bit in the last few years. My wife's company laid off big last month and may get another hit in January. I gotta hold down the fort for the time being.

Hang in there. Don't know if I'll make the chat as I've never skiied in my life - only driven a ski boat a couple of times.

Ed
    Greg: polish up that resume anyway, you never know. Better to be ready just in case. Glad you're still employed, of course.

What do you ask XC Skiers? I've never tried it, haven't a clue about the sport. Are these guys going to the Olympics?

-juice
  • barresa62barresa62 Posts: 1,379
    I've never tried XC skiing but have been curious. I'm still having too much fun getting better at downhill. I really didn't know what to ask the Factory Team. Maybe I should have asked them their favorite Subaru or if htey drive one, :-)

Stephen
  • miksmimiksmi Silver Spring, MDPosts: 1,246
    I get:

Welcome to our chat room

and nothing else on WinXP/IE6. Anyone have success?

..Mike

..Mike

I downhill ski mostly, too.

The chat is busy, maybe the room is full? Not sure, but I do not recognize lots of the names there, so I imagine lots are XC skiing enthusiasts just visiting for the chat.

-juice

PS Using NT2000/IE5
  • I tried to log into the chat room at what I thought was 9:20 and all I got was a "the room is now closed" message. Not that I probably had a chance at the hats, but maybe everyone wanted one and it crashed the room?

Kevin
    Maybe it's a WinXP thing. No ski hat for me :(

..Mike

Well, I got in at about 8:55 (Eastern), but it's working fine for me.

-juice
    Oh, well. I'll read the transcript.

..Mike

..Mike

Bingo - try www.dreamofit.com. They said first 15 to sign up for the updates would also get hats.

Interesting - he drives a 1992 Loyale with 130k miles and going strong!

-juice
    Get the "chat is now closed" (read: go home you loser) ;-)

Greg
    couldn't get in. I enjoyed catching up on the posts though. Checked out photopoint so I can finally share my photos. Think I'll join this weekend. Keep you posted.

Greg
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,552
    G'day

Actually Cross Country Skiing is really good fun. If you can skate or roller blade, you can ski. You avoid all of the dorks in fancy clothing that populate ski resorts and get to ski in really nice back country. Physically, it is a fiar workout but a steady low intensity activity ideally suited to the less athletic of us.

I am probably deeply unfashionable but used to ski in old woollen army pants and layers on the top half. A day pack with rough rations, a water bottle (you sweat like a pig when going hard) and basic survival gear and good maps (and a compass) and life is bliss.

I guess it helps that I look out from my parents country home and can judge the snow cover on a large expanse of the Australian Alps which are snow covered from June to early October. At this time of year, there is good walking in the same country.

This is the sort of country where a Subaru is in its element. Subaru have sponsored the Australian ski team for about twenty years. Old Libertys (Leagacy to you) are the car of choice for many skiers. No pose but superbly practical and no need to fit chains most of the year.

It qiuite makes me feel jealous of you folks slipping into winter.

Cheers

Graham
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Graham- Don't sell XC skiing short. It may be "low intensity" when you go slow but speed up and it's an excellent high intensity low-impact cardiovascular workout (hence the reason you sweat like a pig). For anyone who's been on one or seen the ads, the Nordic Track essentially approximates the act of XC skiing. And while XC skiing doesn't provide quite the thrill level of a steep downhill ski run, it does provide an opportunity to commune with nature while shooshing thru tranquil snow covered forests and meadows.

-Frank P.
  • Those acceleration times posted in magazines for cars....

Are they acheived by dumping the clutch? I'm not a stick driver, so please forgive my ignorance.

And what is the best (not necessarily best for the car) way to get a good launch at a stoplight? I am curious about how people strike a balance between long-term reliability and having the occasional thrill ride.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Stoplight launches. Are you talking MT or AT? On my AT I usually hold the brake and gas it up to 2000-2500rpms, then let go of the brake, this gives me a decent launch without being a neutral drop and killing the tranny.

-mike