Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota - General Topic

Comments

• dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    These black plastic tape appliques were deleted on newer versions. They're available from your Dodge dealer.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • roper2roper2 Posts: 61
    Yesterday a friend bought a 05 dakota crewcab larmie 4wd 4.7 3.92.I drove it and I was very impressed with it.It did not feel compact and looks sharp.I drive a 1500 ram and will strongly consider one as next truck.
    I work with a fellow who has been a confirmed Asian-nameplate believer for as long as I known him. He recently purchase a '05 Dakota and he's done nothing but rave about it. And, he thinks is a tad on the ugly side to boot. No problems reported, either.

The front-end still takes my breath away...negatively, that is, and a lack of full instrumentation doesn't help. But the few things I've heard indicate that the new Dakota is a worthy competitor.

Bests,
    Dusty
    I had a ride in a Colorado the other day. Second one I've been in. A better feeling vehicle than any S10 I've ever been in, but noticeable nosier than my '03 Dakota. The engine seems harsh and a little strained. These trucks also have a plethora of cheap plastic interior parts. The ride is so-so, not bad, but far from a benchmark.

The last generation Dakota still better. I'll be keeping my '03 Dak.

Happy Easter to all.

Bests regards,
    Dusty
  • roper2roper2 Posts: 61
    I test drove the GMC canyon with the inline5cyl.It was loaded 2wheel drive off road package.Liked the looks drove@ rode ok but like the dakota better either V6 or V8 .If I was buying today I would get the dodge ram or dakota.My 1500 Ram now has 78k on it with nothing wrong.Thinking about going the long haul on this one, with the used market the way it is.That 4.7 sure is a tuff engine.it still runs like new.
  • bookittybookitty Posts: 1,303
    Dennis, "It was loaded 2wheel drive off road package." Is this not a perfect example of an "oxymoron?" No personal insult intended.

Bookitty
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,081
    Is that like the "4 wheel drive, dry-pavement package"? ;-)

Those sales-n-marketing folks are pretty creative.

BTW... Did you know that the upcoming "HYBRED" pickup from GM DOES NOT EVEN HAVE HYBRED DRIVETRAIN? (The only thing "hybred" about it is when you use the brakes, it re-charges the battery.)... what a farce!
  • kingquad1kingquad1 Posts: 37
    I haven't read much lately on spark plugs. I am in need to replace mine(4.7). How are the Bosch Platinum 4 working out for everyone?
  • ron35ron35 Posts: 134
    kingquad1 - I have had the Bosch +4 platinum plugs in my 2K Dak 4.7 for the past 30K miles and just replaced them with a new set last weekend. I have been very satisfied with them and to tell the truth the old set I took out looked like they could have gone alot longer.

Ron35
  • kingquad1kingquad1 Posts: 37
    thanks for the info.
    I've got about 30K on mine also. My 4.7 runs great, although I've started to feel a very, very light and short one-time throttle lag after the first overnight cold start in the morning. Fuel consumption does not appear to be affected, although we're just coming out of winter. My winter time fuel mileage is still slightly better than last years.

The Bosch ads seem to imply that they are a better plug than what came out of my 4.7. Assuming they are they should go at least as long as the factory plugs, which translates to something more than 30K. I know a couple of people that went 50-60K on the factory Champions, so I don't know.

I've been please with the Platinum+4s so far but they are expensive.

I'd say they'll work fine in the 4.7. Is there something better or just as good at less the price? I don't know.

Bests,
    Dusty
  • haselhasel Posts: 64
    I joust ordered a 2005 Quad Cab is there anyway I can track my order? I have the order number from the dealer
  • tootall1tootall1 Posts: 7
    Need some advice please. I owned a 01 Quad with the 4.7 V8 and the towing package. Not sure on the gears. I was averaging 14MPG with 30 mile commute, 15 through hills and 15 flat highway each way. I ended up selling the truck, but want to come back. I am interested in buying a 05 Quad and I will need a 4x4.
    Should I go with the new 3.7 V6 or back with the 4.7 V8. Which would give the best MPG? I do not need the towing so I imagine I should leave that off to help.
    What about the gears> which would be best for MPG.

I do not expect 20mpg, but 18 would be acceptable. 13-14 is not. I drive about 20k miles per year.
    The lifetime average for my 2003 Dakota Club Cab, 4.7 with 545FRE and 3.55 limited slip is 15.86. My summer time average is just over 17 MPG. Theoretically the 3.7 will give you better gas mileage. However, driving habit and conditions could dictate a different result, and it is far more common that this occurs. I know people with the 3.9 V6 that get better and worse than the 4.7. Conversely the opposite is true.

I'm a lightfooted driver and I usually drive for gas mileage. I have a better average than many V6 Dakotas. I will tell you this, aggressive or impatient driving will kill fuel consumption. This is more acute, I think, with the 4.7. I've had "good tanks" go down hill with just a couple of P-40-style throttle bursts.

Because of the hilly terrain you're encountering it's possible that a 3.7 in a Dakota Quad would not benefit fuel consumption. Especially in a 4x4. But in all honesty I think it's too problematic to predict fuel consumption.

Good luck with your decision.

Bests,
    Dusty
    Dusty, the P-40 had an Allison V-1710-33, 1040 HP engine. That along with a pair of 3's beats a 4.7 with a full house.

Bookitty.
    A " V" engine usually has an EVEN number of cylinders...17 may not be correct.

The Allison airplane engines That I am aware of are V12. They are the loudest engines you have ever heard. Two allison V12s mounted on a tractor-puller is MUCH louder than five V8 Hemis on a tractor.

Tractor pullers run a MINIMUM of 2,500 horsepower. (These WWII Allison engines have been modified and are fuel-injected and supercharged!!)

Here is a photo of twin Allison airplane engines on one tractor;
    http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=00H9002T000035&start=0&album- - - - - - - - =0&adjust=-1

Here is a photo of THREE Allisons on one tractor;
    http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=00H9002P000053&start=0&album- - - - - - - =0&adjust=-1
    Yes, I know. And I can't imagine any Dakota with sharks teeth on their fenders.

By the way, have you seen a movie called "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow?" They could have used a P-51, P-38, or even a Spitfire, but they chose the Warhawk. It's quite a sight to see a P-40 buzz across an air field at better than 200 MPH. I'm fortunate to have seen this a number of times.

Bests,
    Dusty
  • malcolm1malcolm1 Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 1994 Dakota SLT 4.7 V-8 with AWD and two other types of 4WD. I believe that there is no 2WD option available in this truck. One of the 4WD can be accessed while driving under 30 MPH, whereas the other one (believe it is the low) must be engaged while the truck is stopped.

Am I correct in assuming that there is no 2WD option in this truck? The swith panel offers only the AWD and two other 4WD options.

I have heard in previous postings that the AWD is not really the type of AWD that one would find in a Suburu. Is this correct? Essentially, I am driving the truck in the farthermost left control switch position, which is AWD. What are the disadvantages of not having any 2WD option in terms of performance and vehicle longevity?

This is the first time that I have owned a truck that did not have the simple 2WD/4X4 switch option. It seems to be a great driving and performing truck at this juncture, but I have only possessed it for less than a week.

Does anybody know about these things, or have some personal experience with the AWD and two 4WD options that came with this truck? I would like to receive some input from somebody who has this experience. Thanks.
    malcom1, If you purchased a 1994 Dodge Dakota with a 4.7 V8, hold on to that truck. It will be on display at the Smithsonion Museum, because the 4.7 was not available on the Dakota until the 2000 model year. Full time 4WD is just that, an "on demand" other than 4WD lock and 4WD low range. It differs from the part time 4WD system, as it has a differential within the transfer case. Bruce (bpeebles) or Dusty can offer a clearer defining of this type of unit.

Bookitty
    First, you have to determine the ACTUAL model-year of your Dakota.

There are 2 things that you mention that WERE NOT AVAILABLE in 1994
    1) The 4.7L v8. (not available in Dak until 2000)
    2) Pushbutton xfer case. (Not available in Dak until 2001)

We need to know what you have before we can be expected to discuss it intellegently.
This discussion has been closed.