Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Owners - Meet the Members

Comments

• popdaddypopdaddy Member Posts: 22
    Hi all,
    Pardon the bad pun, but the intros almost sound like an AA meeting: "Hi, I'm Larry and I've been an alcoholic for....
    Nevertheless,
    I'm Larry, in Jackson, Ga (midway between Atlanta and Macon), and I've been a Dak owner for two weeks now. Bought a 2000 Club Cab, Blue, 3.9, auto, bedliner, fatter tires than I wanted but they'll do for now. Kids are grown and wife and I like to camp in a popup trailer. Sold my F-150 to buy her a Honda Odyssey, but wanted something that would pull better, smaller than fullsize, bigger than small, Dak fit the bill. Week after bought it, got engine light, came online and got help figuring out what it was and how to fix it (new gas cap). Great site and a lot of good folk willing to help. Thanks.
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Karen, thanks for the update. No Hemi, but still a nice truck.

Bookitty
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Yes, thanks for the full review on the new Dakota.

My first perusal of the '05 led me to believe that I love my '03 even more. It's not that the new Dakota isn't a worthy contender, but like the reviewer in the article I was disappointed in the interior. What bothered me even more was the lack of a full set of gauges, a real no-no in my opinion, both for a truck and especially bad for a Dodge.

Of course, I still have a hard time getting my face to straighten out after I look at the front-end, which I find unappealing. That by itself wouldn't stop me from buying one, but it doesn't make it easier. The lack of a hemi wouldn't bother me. My little 287 (4.7) runs great and performs better than I would've expected. But I do find it puzzling why Dodge didn't size the truck for the hemi. If it did I'm sure the Dakota manufacturing lines would be two shifts all next year.

Still, I've talked to a fellow who owns a '05 and he says it's the best handling, best riding, and quiet est truck he's ever driven. And he just came from a Tundra.

Bests,
    Dusty
  • tcsmpsitcsmpsi Member Posts: 31
    Had an '01 quad, manual 6 cyl. Excellent vehicle.

Had 40,000 mi on it and had no trouble. Still had original tires with good tread.

Picked up an '05 the day before Thanksgiving, fresh off the truck. Since it was late, dealer didn't have much time to 'make ready'. Had a loose fuse and loose piece of back door trim ( I fixed them and jokingly 'complained' to the dealer-who is an hour's drive from me)

I LIKE IT!!

It is smoother, quieter, tighter. Finally dried up enough around here where I could lay under it for a while and get acquainted. Several things I like more, as well as more ground clearance.

Now, admittedly, I had to 'rationalize' just a bit over the initial appearance. But, hey, I even like that, now.

Initially, I wasn't too thrilled in having to take an automatic, but the manuals hadn't been shipped out yet.

The main reason I even traded, was of financial/investment considerations.

The first mileage I have checked, which has been town driving, has been 14.9 mpg. Which is actually a bit better than I had gotten with the manual.
  • amoreanoamoreano Member Posts: 3
    I almost bought a '05 Toyota Tacoma this afternoon (extended cab/long bed). The biggest drawback to this truck is the old style on-demand 4 wheel drive system. You have to choose between locking rear diff/open diff when unlocked, or a limited slip diff. Each has its pros and cons. I'm very excited about the Dakota'a full 4 wheel system. I also like the fact that the Dak's short bed is almost 5" longer than the Taco's short bed.

This truck will be on the streets 90% of the time/10% in the woods. I am NOT a true 4 wheeler; that is, no boulder hopping, tree stump climbing stuff. My wife and I are avid hikers and we often travel long distances on some pretty rough Forest Service roads to get to trailheads.

The one thing that I find disturbing about the Dakota is the 7.9" ground clearance. I'm accustomed to the 8.1" ground clearance in our '97 Pathfinder SE (prior to that we had a really crummy '84 Jeep Cherokee- don't know what it's ground clearance was). I noted that some of you have actually BEEN in the F.S. so you're intimately familiar with the kinds of roads I frequent.

Do you think that this '05 Dakota will meet my needs??? Thanks loads for your experienced opinions!
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Unless they have changed the "Full Time" 4WD on the Dak, it is simply a 3rd open differentail in the xfer case. In other words, if any one wheel spins, you are stuck. Adding the LSD rear end actually makes matters WORSE. (The details of these facts have been described in previous postings.)

Given the type of off-roading you have described, you would be locking the xfer case in 4X4 anyway. You may be better off to have an xfer case that can be set to rear-wheel-drive when on the street. That will increase MPG and reduce wear-n-tear that the 'full time' has been proven to cause. (reduced tire and drivetrain components life)

That ground clearance concern you have may not be a realistic measurement that has meaning while off-roading. You will find that a LONGER WHEELBASE will tend to bottom out more often. (even if the "ground clearance" number that the manufacturers quote is higher.)

Of course, any experienced off-roader knows the basics of putting the wheels on the "high spots" of the trail. (putting your wheels in an existing rut is a no-no)
  • spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    I agree with bpeebles' points plus I have a '00 part-time 4WD w/ a LSD w/ 5 sp and I've driven on hilly, muddy, icy / snowy, gully-laidened gas pipeline right-of-ways every hunting season:

1.) Go w/ a part-time 4WD system w/ a LSD rear.

2.) The above set-up gives you the best gas mileage.

3.) When I'm in the deep do-do, the above set-up is spinning all 4 wheels and I've gotten out of it - so far.

4.) I've banged the bottom a few times and as a result, I've slowed down and learned to "read" the best way through the problem areas.

5.) Most of the time, for me, the clearance has been OK. The Dakota's small wheel wells don't lend themselves easily to simply installing bigger tires and therefore getting more clearance. The aftermarket lift kits that I've looked at require major surgery and seem to be "under-shocked" to prevent more body roll. But if you're thinking about going that way order the 3.92 rear gear ratio rather than the 3.55 since you'll eventually be spinning bigger tires.

6.) I think the the Dakota can do what you want. Have you ever thought of starting your hikes where the trails cross over a more improved road rather your current MO?
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    You really find a 2/10s inch ground clearance difference to be that much of a problem? You really sure this has created an issue for you or are you just zeroing in on numbers and stats instead of real world driveability?
  • dakota95dddakota95dd Member Posts: 1
    Hi Bonnie Rick, Im new to this Forum.. I have a 95 Dakota Sport 2WD, 5 speed 2.5L 4 banger! ;) I need help on where to post on the site.. If any of you can help that would be great. Need to switch bucket seats out and put in a bench if any of you have done this yet please send me a e-mail. Thanks - Tom
  • masfoxmasfox Member Posts: 1
    I know it's been awhile but what was the problem fix, my 2000 Durango came down with the problen yesterday. I ran a code check but it comes up with zero codes. can you help me out and yes the fuild is good.
    Thanks,
    MasFox
  • sportstud4891sportstud4891 Member Posts: 3
    I can see that this post has changed topics, but I'll probably be around for a little bit so I figured I'd say hey and introduce myself.

Clinton Jenkins from Hughesville, MD (right next to Waldorf, MD if you know where that is)
    2001 3.9 V6 automatic Club Cab Dakota 4x4 SLT Pearl Blue with gray undertone, including Fender Flares, Line-X spray in bedliner, fiberglass tonneau cover, American Flag windowscape across the back, fully loaded, on 265/70 tires and I love driving it (course that could be due to the fact that my last vehicle was an 88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra but still)

I have taken it out in the snow in western maryland and the sands at Oregon Inlet on the outer banks and have yet to get stuck (knock on wood)
    Welcome to the fold Clinton. I know just where Waldorf is, sort of the gateway to the Eastern Shore (the Shore) as it is known locally. Also spent many winter days traveling from Hagerstown (Fairplay) up to Matiki Coal in Hancock, MD. Pulled those long hills in snow and ice. The Dak 4X4 beats a Pontiac (company car) hands down.

Bookitty
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Look who is in the Owners' Spotlight! :shades:
    Karen, I am both humbled honored. At last, my "15 minutes of fame" has arrived. Onward to infamy! Thank you.

Norm (Bookitty)
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    Hello everyone. Just a bit about me.....60 yrs old, retired from Public Safety/EMS, married w/1 child and 1 grandchild.
    Long-time Dodge truck owner and currently own a 1993 Dakota SLT 2x4, CC.3.9 V-6,auto w/125K on odometer.Never any major problems with it.
    Just took delivery on '06 Dakota QC SLT 2x4, 4.7L,Auto,LSD w/just about everything except heated seats..not really useful in Louisiana!
    Plan to continue to drive the '93 until the wheels fall off and leave the '06 in the garage except when I want to make neighbors envious....

Been lurking on the Dak forums and really received a lot of help in deciding on the '06 and what equipment etc, especially the 4.7L engine as I knew nothing at all about it.
    jneal
    Welcome to the fold jneal. This is the best auto/truck forum bar none. Made up of many bright and helpful people. Good luck with your new (and your old) truck.

Bookitty
    Thanks for the welcome, bookitty. I agree with you that this is the best forum, bar none. How could it not be, given that it is comprised of people who are smart enough to own the best trucks made!!! :D

Hope I can be a worthwhile member and contribute something to the forum.
  • johnsssjohnsss Member Posts: 2
    guess this makes me pretty stupid
    I bought a 2000 dakota 4x4 quad from a dealer at same time as a new mustang a month ago. As I had traded my good truck in I needed something to pull my bass boat. So far so good - however I took it for an oil change this am to be told there was no front drive shaft!!
    It runs in four wheel drive - yep but with no four wheel drive
    Took it back to dealer who said they would take care of it

However why would someone remove drive shaft, I suspect to hide faulty transmission prior to dealing in

Can anyone shed any light - I feel a dummy of the first order
    On my 1976 full-size blazer with full-time-four-wheel-drive, I used to remove front driveshaft during summer to save on wear-n-tear. In fact, in one case, my WIFE removed the front driveshaft to go shopping because I was busy with other tasks arond the house. My point... it is trivial to remove a driveshaft.

I have a 2000 Dak. (purchased new in fall of 1999) and the shift-on-the-fly system has been flawless over 90K miles.

Removing the front driveshaft would NOT hide a xmission problem... The xmission is used ALL THE TIME irreguardless of the state of the xfer case.

My initial question for you... does your 2000 Dak. have full-time-four-wheel-drive or the shift-on-the-fly system?
  • johnsssjohnsss Member Posts: 2
    Many thanks, the Dakota has a shift for 4wd, the mileage is now 132k but I have no service history as to what was repaired/replaced etc in the past.

All facory recalls have been carried out

cheers John
  • chuckc1chuckc1 Member Posts: 3
    Chuck Condry
    Phoenix, Oregon (near Medford)

Today I bought a nice 1993 Dakota LE regular cab 4WD with a V6 and 5 speed.

It's good to know there is a place to go for advice and information.

Best wishes,

Chuck
    Welcome to the forums. Hope you have as good luck with your 93 as I have. Bought 93 SLE ClubCab new, now have 120K virtually trouble free on it. Best vehicle I have ever owned.
  • chuckc1chuckc1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks. I'd like mine to be as dependable. It's got 89K on it and seems to have been maintained well. It's dark red with the usual mottled paint on the roof and hood. The previous owner had already bought the necessary paint, so it's going to look sharp in few weeks.
  • crazyclydecrazyclyde Member Posts: 4
    I have attempted several times to get advice for my problem
    and, so far have been ignored. You seem to know your
    auto mechanics and are a pro or sharp shade-tree mechanic.?
    My problem is my 1987 Dakota 4x4 won't come out of 4-wheel
    drive without killing the engine and letting it sit for
    awhile. What's wrong with it?
  • crazyclydecrazyclyde Member Posts: 4
    You seem to be a sharp shade-tree mechanic. Maybe you can
    help me with my problem: my 1987 Dakota 4x4 won't come out
    of 4-wheel drive without stopping, killing the engine and
    waiting several seconds. What's wrong? c38clark@hotmail.com
    ">
  • spillingvoidspillingvoid Member Posts: 5
    Hey guys, joined last year but haven't been able to post much. I have a 1993 dodge dakota le club cab with a 318 and a 5 speed standard transmission. The engine is a transplant and has dual 2 1/4 inch exaust from the manifold to the end exiting to the sides at 45 degrees. I'm currently painting it and getting rid of the dents(got ran into last week). I'm also building a ram air system for the truck and am wondering, just to wonder, if people would be intrested in a air intake system for older dakota's( 92- about 95) since there almost impossible to find.

-spillingvoid@yahoo.com
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    ...as well as the Membership Agreement, we ask that you please not include your email address in your messages. The forums are searchable by all internet engines, and you put your email address at risk. You may always make the email address in your profile "public" (use the preferences link to the left) which will make it visible to Edmunds registered members only.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • spillingvoidspillingvoid Member Posts: 5
    My bad. I'm sorry I was at work and typing in during breaks. I dint get to read the agrement tell after i got home. It's habit cause I do it at work all the time. I'll fix the problem in the future.
    Sorry
    JAG :(
    Just trying to keep you from getting spammed :)
  • steak2k1steak2k1 Member Posts: 24
    Hey guys and I trust there are some ladies here too..?

Name is Theo (Tay-O): live in Calgary, Ab, Canada
    Tech Sales: Welding Automation (oil/gas country big time.!)

2005 Silver SLT 4.7 magnum QC
    Roll n Lock Cover (no, it isn't totally waterproof.!)
    KnN CAIntake
    Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust (sounds great)
    Reese Cl III Hitch
    Long Tranny cooler
    LeBra...(It don't look bad at all.!)
    Sythetic lubes all the way.

Just waiting for superchips to come out with a programmer which is supposed to be around end Aug/Sept.

Great Truck but: Lousy cloth used in interior, just look at it and it gets dirty. The rear brakes may as well be non-existant. (like to know if anyone changed these out for disc's..??).

I also tow a 22' KZ "Coyote" HTT ( Hybrid Travel Trailer),w/ 2 kids and the Financial Adviser (my wife.!). All in all about 43-4400 lbs loaded (no water, minimal food + clothes and gear). Been thru the Cdn Rockies with it and although I did have to go 1st gear (50kmh @ 4200 rpm), at Roger Pass..the rest of the trip was fine in "two/haul" mode. Gas mileage sucked but that is to be expected I guess.

Great forum...got a lot of good advice here and appreciate that.

rgds

Theo AKA Steak2k1 :P
  • gretjnsgretjns Member Posts: 1
    Name is Gretchen and I love my truck. Bought new in 2003 it has 61k miles on it.
    Quad Cab SLT (I think)
    2wd Atlantic Blue w/ Jason (paint matched) hard tonneau (LOVE THE HARD TONNEAU)
    4.7 V8 Automatic
    Added Tranny oil cooler and suspension airbags for towing.

Service related items:
    Front and Rear main seals at 60k (thank you warranty)
    The other recall items
    A/C head (again extended warranty well worth it)
    oddly - emergency brake shoe fell off the mount.

Tows 4k competently and regularly.

The model I bought doesn't have the two toned paint and does have the chrome bumpers. I've had people stop me to tell me what a great looking truck I've got. I have to agree.

The only really odd thing I've noticed is due to the long wheelbase it bounces pretty bad over certain stretches of interstate. I put airbags on it last weekend to assist with the trailer squat and this seems to have helped the boinging as well.

I hated the last car I had and I've never looked back on this purchase. I'll have it paid off next spring and plan to purchase another Dakota when I wear this one out.

gj
  • nmacha1nmacha1 Member Posts: 9
    Im here in oregon and have yet to take my '01 4.7l v8 4x4 cc to the sand but i have taken it up in the mountians here. what type of 265/70 are you running? the previous owner of mine had super street tires that were crap offroad. since then ive gotten some all terrains.
    I find it interesting that you think the long wheelbase contributes to "bouncing". Most folks consider a longer wheelbase as REDUCING the "rocking horse" effect.

Also, the factory shock-absorbers on the Dakota are junk. (mine were leaking fluid after about a year.) The very best shock absorbers you can get for the Dakota are the "Edelbrock IAS". These are a "monotube" design which are installed upside down from what regular shocks are. This is due to the patented design that "senses" the wheel motion and adjusts the stiffness. (slow motions are STIFF while fast motions are SOFT)

After installing the EDELBROCK IAS shocks on my Dak, I instantly noticed less lean in the corners and less dive during braking (both slow motions). At the same time, the expansion-joints on the highway almost dissapered (fast motions).

Of course, the pressure in your tires as well as your choice of tires contributes to the ride-quality too. Tires labelled "LT" have a stiff sidewall and will make for a harsher ride.
  • dbrunnerdbrunner Member Posts: 2
    Bought a 1997 dakota about a year ago in ALaska. Just moved back to Wyoming.

truck specs
    97 dakota sport
    205478 miles
    V6 engine
    5 speed manual trany
    4X4

No problems with it on the 3000+ mile drive home and nothing since I bought the truck. Couldn't ask for a better truck to drive!
  • cbsdakota97cbsdakota97 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone, I have a
    '97 dakota bought brand new (my 1st vehicle)
    4x4 ext cab, V-8 engine. I now have 143,000 miles on it.
    It has taken me to many a rugby match.

Any way, my headlights have oxidized over the years, they are now VERY cloudy and even with new bulbs, they are very dim at night.
    Has anyone else had this problem or know of a solution? I appreciate any help I can get on this matter.
  • ronslakie1ronslakie1 Member Posts: 57
    You can use a polishing compound, toothpaste or Brasso to clear up the haze followed by a protectant like 303 or paste wax. Also you can consider a new lens or light unit, they are readily available on ebay and easy to change.
    Most automotive supply houses have a kit for polishing head and taillight lenses. The above mentioned will work also.
    I use white Dupont polishing compound (very fine) and a soft cotton buffing pad on a drill motor. Be careful or you will put burn marks in the plastic and they are almost impossible to get out.
    Here is a link to somthing which may help clean up your headlights.
    http://www.mdwholesale.com/

Keep in mind... after "polishing" plastic headlights, they often will "haze over" much quicker than they did originalally. This is because the manufacturer coats the lenz with a protective layer. Polishing will remove this protective layer.

Some of the headlight polishing "kits" have a final coating you put on AFTER polishing. This treatment may help the repair last longer.
  • dodgetrukndodgetrukn Member Posts: 116
    Looking to purchase a used "BOB" big-orange-book dealer service manual. I never did purchase the service manual when I bought my dak.. Anyone willing to part with theirs and/or no longer need it?
    Ger. gmillnj@hotmail.com
    Just a slight correction... the shop manual for the 2000 Dakota is Orange. As I recall, Dodge changes the color of the cover for each model-year.

BTW: The name BOB (Big Orange Book) seems to have "stuck" as a nickname for Dak shop manual reguardless of the model-year

Have you looked on eBay for a shop manual?
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    Search for "2001 Dakota Manual" on eBay, to find any that may be out there. As already pointed out by bpeebles, the covers aren't orange for 2001, as they look like this:

I sent you an email with additional information, that may help.

Good luck! :shades:
  • dodgetrukndodgetrukn Member Posts: 116
    I did do a quick search once on ebay and was looking for an orange colored book..will search again. Thanks guys.. Gery
  • s79vettes79vette Member Posts: 6
    Not sure if this is right forum but I need some help with a
    question concerning mounting a Snowway plow frame on a 2004
    Dakota. Does the front facia have to be altered? Have owned a 1993 EXT V8 since new and need to replace while I'm still working. Truck still runs fine and it has plow affixed to it now. Have towed it all over the US behind our motorhome until buying a new Liberty in 04. Used the plow frame to mount tow
    bar mounts and works perfectly. Would like to do the same to a newer Dakota. May have to purchace a new frame as 93 may be different than an 04. Anybody plow with their Dakota? Steve
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    The only thing I can add that may help you is that the frames are different from '93 to 2004.

Regards,
    Dusty
    After almost 8 years as a well satisfied Dodge Dakota owner, I have traded in my truck for a new 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4X4, with manual transmission (6 speed), limited slip and the tow package. Since moving to Florida (we spend 7 months here, and 5 months at the NJ shore) I have been longing for a convertible. We still have my wife's 1999 Wrangler which stays in FL and her Jeep Liberty that we leave in NJ. This forum has always been so very helpful from the very beginning when we were chasing down delivery information through the period where there were many questions and bright guys like Bruce Peebles (among others) who always seemed to provide answers. It has always been a pleasure. Thank you.

Bookitty
    All good things come to an end. We will miss you Bookitty.

BTW: Did you ever notice that we became members of Edmunds on the VERY SAME DAY!!

Take care
    Bruce P.
    April 13 2001 is the date the current database started keeping track - there are a lot of us with that date ;)

kcram - Pickups Host
  • sunburnsunburn Member Posts: 319
    After 6 years and 88K miles of faithful service, my 02 QC, 4x4 is being replaced by an 08 Nissan Titan SE, 4x4, Crew Cab, long bed. The family is just outgrowing the QC. The back seat and bed are just getting too small. So, it's on to something larger and hopefully as fun as my Dakota has been. This forum has been great and I'll miss all the helpful discussions.

Best Regards,

Sunburn
  • rolandtignorrolandtignor Member Posts: 5
    I've been searching for years and years for answers to these questions.
    When taking off from the house down the road I put my foot on the gas pedal and the truck rpms rev up real high and it doesn't change gears until I let off of the gas pedal. Then it shifts into gear.
    This happens all the way down the road going up to 70mph.

Also, my cruise control doesn't work. I checked the fuse and it's fine.

Does anyone have any clues as to why I'm having these problems.
    Please advise and thanks for your help.
This discussion has been closed.