Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• rich14rich14 Member Posts: 15
    well this is the second problem in a week, blower motor just quit, wont work on ac or heat,, anyone have any ideas??? please help!!! im wilting in the heat...
    ok i fixed the blower motor problem.. it was the blower motor resistor, a $10.00 part.. the parts manager said i should buy a few of these,, thats nice to know
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    I think they were ECMs on your vintage, but my son had a '91 and I believe the computer is behind the foot kick panel on the passenger side. This would be the plastic panel that covers the area just below the dash on the right side.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Check for something loose underneath the floor area that might have been disturbed when the transmission was removed. A lot of times these types of problems are caused by not having everything tight or in the correct position.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • sundevil99sundevil99 Member Posts: 20
    I've posted this in a couple of different Dakota forums.

I just purchased a used '99 Dakota, RC, 5spd Manual, 4x4. It doesn't have a single cup holder in the entire cab.
    I would like to have something on the floor, but there's not much room around the sticks for the transmission and 4WD.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • 03ram03ram Member Posts: 4
    i recently bought a mopar push button start kit on ebay and i need to know anything and everything i will need to wire this thing. my understanding is that i need to buy 2 wires for this job (kit came with no wires). one wire goes to the power wire and one goes to the start wire. i have no idea how to do this... o dont know how to even access these wires. do these wires have a specific color that could tell me which ones they are? anything would be helpful.. thanks alot
  • pentastarpentastar Member Posts: 4
    I am going to replace that same sensor on a family Dakota soon,it is a '99 4WD sport and I just got the part from Tenefly.The part # they sent was 05013660AA and I cannot find a pic of the part anywhere but the part I got has a small square shank coming out of the bottom that looks like it would go in a speedometer drive and I am wondering if it is the correct part.My understanding is that the transmission also has a speed sensor on it and I am worried that the part they sent was the wrong one.
    The vehicle in question is hard to get standing still long enough to work on it and when I go under there I want the right part in my hand.
    I posed this question to Dwane at Tenefly and he could not answer me or at least did not give me an authoritive answer so I am asking anyone that knows if they can remember what their part looked like before it was installed.
    I have a '95 1500 SLT 4WD and have the FSM for it but comparing what I have and speculating is not good enough,I am sure his is different.Mine has a tone wheel on the ring gear but his may not.My pickup sure looks like the one they sent me on the outside but that does not mean a whole lot either.If anyone can help me I would appreciate a reply................Dwayne says to give him the part number off of the old one...............NS.............I will know by that time if it is the right one or not.....LOL Ron G
  • dnjonesdnjones Member Posts: 1
    I was curious if you had any luck in figuring out your electrical problem with your Dodge Dakota? I just had a very similar thing happen to my 01 Dakota. I was out of town for a week and when I returned, the truck was completely dead. I jump started it. It took a while to charge, but finally started. Now everything works besides I have no headlights, parking lights, and the electric door locks do not work. I found that if I turn the headlights to high beam, they come on but flicker a lot. The brake lights also work fine. I also noticed that the interior lamps flicker a lot and the key buzzer sounds very strange.

I have heard a lot of problems contributed to the battery and will probably change that, but was hoping to hear from you on what you found.

thanks

David Jones
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Cop holders are a big deal with you and you didn't notice there were none when you bought this? Go down to your local auto parts store, Wally mart, etc. and see what kind of accessories there are.
  • jimqjimq Member Posts: 14
    On 1999 models if you have the split bench seat the cup holders are located
    underneath the center portion. Just pull on the plastic piece located on the front of the center portion and they should fold out. At least that is the way it was set up on the vehicles with auto trans.
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Bruce and or Dusty, my check engine light went on again tonight. Last time it was a $106.00 gas cap. (2000 Quad, 4.7). This code read: "P0155." Looked it up and this is what was listed:

" 7C P0155 O2 SENSOR 2/1 HEATER CKT Oxygen sensor 2/1 heater element malfunction."

Now as far as computer controlled gasoline internal combustion engines are concerned, I know how to install and gap points, check coils and replace spark plugs. On diesel engines, I can set the rack (Detroit), convert John Deere engines by installing aneroid technology, and fully understand and have a wonderful relationship with Cummins (especially "B" series). But, I have never heated an Oxygen sensor. What am I facing? Can I clear this code without resorting to battery disconnection? Appreciate your help.

Norm (Bookitty)
  • bcarter3bcarter3 Member Posts: 145
    Norm, Are you back up north for the summer? If you are you will be missing the "best" part of Southern Florida. Hurricanes, humidity, heat and mosquitos!!!

If you can change a spark plug you can change an O2 Sensor. The power for the O2 Sensor 2/1 comes from the Engine Computer. A heater circuit malfunction usually indicates a failure in the Sensor itself. My Dak is an '01 so I'm not positive that your '00 is the same but the 2/1 Sensor should be located on the right side between the exhaust manifold and the "mini" converter. I got one from the Dealer in February for $84.43 including tax. I used a scan tool to clear my code but I think it will also clear if you disconnect the battery.

Hope the oysters are more friendly there, Dick

I haven't seen an Amber Fire for a couple of years.
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Dick, thank you for your response. As far as the hurricane(s) situation, we like watching them on TV as opposed to being a participant.

Bruce (bpeebles) informed me as to what and where they are, but also that the 2000 models have a ten year, 100,000 mile warranty on the emission system. With that in mind, I will visit the dealer and fight with them in lieu of "Arlene."

Bookitty
  • scott96929scott96929 Member Posts: 1
    I, thought I was the only one with this shimmy and vibration problem. I just bought my 05 dakota and the first 2000-3000 miles was fine, then the vibration started. I have taken this truck back 5 times and the dealer keeps changing parts and road test the damn thing and replies there is no vibration, until I take him for a ride in it. Then he says, we have to change this part out. This dealer has no clue what is wrong with this truck. I am so dissatisfied with this truck. Guy with a truck vibe!!!
  • codyadodgemancodyadodgeman Member Posts: 3
    what kind of transmission does a 2001 Dodge Dakota Sport R/T with the 5.9-liter V-8 have in it stock??????????

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.
  • bobwirebobwire Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 dak extra cab 3.9 v 6, that peice of junk!
    Well I bought it with 80,000 mi. & at 105,000 I have had to replace the control arm bushings & all 4 ball joints then 4 new tires and after all that I had had the tires spun balanced on the wheel this helped get rid of 95 % of vibrations.

Now it only has 128,000 mi. and it dont idle smooth , I have replaced both oxygen sensors, catalytic converter, plugs wires , rotor button , plugs ,fuel sending unit in the tank wires & distributor cap, The dealership screwed me for $ 485.00 for so called fixing this problem and the junk still dont have the get up & go or smooth idle.
    not counting counting what I spent on the above mentioned parts.

Please sell you're junk dodge and buy Toyota truck i think this will help.
    my 02 dakota dont want to start on the first try usually i have to turn the key two times to start, but when it is warm and only been shut off a short while it starts on the first try.... could it be the fuel pump or the injectors losing pressure?? and how can i check them myself? i love the truck but have had a few problems latley.:(
  • mrs_maggiedmrs_maggied Member Posts: 2
    What steps do I need to do, to better my gas mileage. I have a 2001 Dakota club cab with the 4.7L. It has about 65,000 miles and gets about 13mpg in the city. On the highway it gets about 16mpg. this is about the same mileage I get with my 72 Gran Prix with a 455. Shouldn't I be getting better mileage? I know a bit about cars, but my experience has been with models from '64 - '74, nothing with a "modern" vehicle. I bought it used 1 year ago.
  • katieandpatkatieandpat Member Posts: 1
    I seem to have the same problem as you. I had my truck scanned but no codes came up, how did you know it was the rear diff sensor.
  • dodgetrukndodgetrukn Member Posts: 116
    I've got a '01 quad with 4.7l engine with the 3.92 lsd rear and 5 sp manual trans. Just turned 66,700 miles. I generally drive ~ 50 miles a day in combination of stop and go traffic and manage to get an average of 16.2 mpg with A/C on or off. I generally use a mild-medium acceleration most of the time, and maintain a clean throttle body and air filter. When was the last time the spark plugs were checked/replaced? Idling ok? I've been getting that gas mile avg for over 3 yrs now..
    Your mileage sounds a bit under the norm..
    46RE

Dusty
    It could be an intermittent Automatic Shutdown Relay (ASD) or the associated fuses.

Dusty
  • morf2540morf2540 Member Posts: 2
    I have an '02 Dakota that has the "old style" connectors for the CD/radio, with two 7-pin connectors on the back. The CD player died and I want to replace it with another Dodge factory radio/CD player (which are easy to find used for under $100). But since '02 the new ones have a single 22-pin connector. I have looked all over for a wiring harness adapter that will go from the dual-connector to the single-connector, without any luck. I saw one a while back on ebay but I was outbid. Since then, nothing. Surely such a thing must be on the market somewhere. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
    Thanks for the help!!!!!!!
    Do you happen to know where i can get any performance parts for this transmission like a shift kit????????
    Any help would be greatly apperciated!!!!!!!!!!
  • ron35ron35 Member Posts: 134
    I would try Crutchfield at

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-huK6oJioHey/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=50900&avf=N

Even if you don't see what you want there give them a call, they are very helpful.

Ron35
  • haselhasel Member Posts: 64
    Try E-Bay or the Dealer, have seen them on E-Bay.
  • haselhasel Member Posts: 64
    Chrysler PN#82207541 for the adapter, two seven wire to 22wire plug.
  • usmcfritzusmcfritz Member Posts: 1
    i have a 99 dodge dakota sport v6 3.9 5 speed...... and the abs and brake light stays on no matter what... i obviously have realized that its a sensor.. im also having problems with the speedometer it wont read my speed until 30mph...more than likely another sensor... are the speed senor and abs sensor the same in the dakota?? also sometimes when i come to a stop the rpms will drop and the engine will die.. starts right back up with no problem?? any ideas?? thanks
  • rdkubyrdkuby Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out what the problem was. I have the same thing on my 2000 model.

Thanks
  • thrghchrstthrghchrst Member Posts: 1
    2000 dodge dakota 4.7 150,000 miles - ac blows cold air for different lengths of time. ambient temp seems to be the only difference in how long it stays cold. the cooler the air outside, the longer it stays cold. when the compressor cuts off, the voltage and the grnd to compressor clutch are good, the resistance is 3.7ohms. (per friend that checked it) it will blow hot air until the engine cools down, then the ac will work again, help!
    The speed and ABS sensors are not the same. However, the speed sensor not working properly can cause an ABS fault. A faulty speed sensor can also cause irratic idle speed problems as well.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Does anybody know where i can get any performance parts for a 46RE trans like a shift kit or any kind of parts?????????
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!
    I should add, however, that a stalling condition can be caused by a number of things, including a dirty idle speed solenoid or motor, bad plug wires, throttle position sensor, etc.

Dusty
  • bc20bc20 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same issue, did you find fix? Typically in the morning my radio and turn signals will not stay on, but in the after noon everything seems to work fine. I was able to figure out if I turn my key a little forward it will turn on the radio and signals, but typically would the switch off after a little while.

Thanks if you can provide any insight.
  • morf2540morf2540 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! That was the magic piece of info. I found it online.
  • bbrain44bbrain44 Member Posts: 3
    Dusty,

I have a 99 Dodge Dakota 2WD (it has the same problem you responded to above) and I have been unable to get a speed sensor for my truck. I have been to several autoparts stores and they all have the same sensor listed for the truck. When I removed the sensor I had to remove a shield and then remove a stud that the shield was attached to. The replacement sensor screws in where mine is pressed in and sealed with a O ring. I have a picture of the old sensor. I would appreciate any help that I get to find a replacement. I really do not want to go to the dealer unless it is necessary. I have put a picture of the old and the supposed replacement on this link. sensors I could also use a bit of advice on how to remove the connecting wire without destroying it.

Thanks,
    George
    Aftermarket parts stores are usually behind when it comes to alternate or revised component changes. This is the case in your situation. You will have to go back to Dodge.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • jurystilloutjurystillout Member Posts: 1
    I currently am waiting to get my power steering pump replaced on my 04 4x4 4.7l. I get the impression this is a common failure with this engine by reading these forums my dealer admitted as much. All of us who have had to replace a pump should contact NHTSB and file complaints. This is a safety issue as I see it.
  • bbrain44bbrain44 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the information. I was able to find an aftermarket part from the AutoPartsStore.com or AutoPartsGiant.com. The sensor is put out by Standard Motor Products PN: ALS203. It sells for $27.26 plus shipping and handling (about $10). The OEM PN: 56028187AE is available from your local Dodge dealer for $52.19. I don't know how reliable the aftermarket part is but I am going to give it a try.

Thanks,
    George
  • popdaddypopdaddy Member Posts: 22
    I've got a 2000 Dak, 3.9 V6, and the AC blows great, but doesn't blow cold. Doesn't blow hot, just kind of room temperature. Any suggestions?
  • pentastarpentastar Member Posts: 4
    I went through the same scenerio last Sunday after Tenefly sent me the wrong part.
    The part number on the sensor is 2898 and looks exactly like the one you have a pic of there.The one they sent had a speedometer shaft sticking out of it.
    You can find the clip to release the connector right on the very top of it,I had fun finding it too but I did release it and separated it so I could clean it up to find the part number on it.
    I have not heard back from Tenefly yet but I am sure they will replace it.My problem is going under the truck twice when I explained it all in the original order to avoid this.
    I am going to look at the part you found and see if I can order it sooner. Ron
  • live77live77 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1992 Dakota with the 5.2 engine. The other day driving down the highway with ac on high nice and cold inside the cab, It was about 100 outside. All the sudden It started getting warm inside the cab. I put my hand up to the vents and it was blowing cold air but not very hard. I tried moving the switch for the blower and basically seemed to only blow on low and maybe one notch higher but not enough to keep it cool inside. Today will driving it the ac was blowing great then all the sudden no fan at all. Is this just a blower motor that went out or something else? I have to get this fixed asap as it is going to be near 100 for the next week. Hope someone can help.
  • 68valiant68valiant Member Posts: 4
    I have 2001 Dakota Quad Cad 4x4 that recently developed an electrical gremlin. The keyless entry, power/automatic locks and dome lights have all stopped working (temporarily). Also the "Service 4x4" light comes on when I start the engine, which starts normally. As soon as I drive a few blocks the light goes out and the locks and the rest start functioning again.

It has done this 3 times in the last 2 days; all 3 times have been in the evening. I called my local dealer and the Service Manager and I talked about the CTM and other possibilities. He suggested that it could be a loose ground near the CTM under the kick panel, or posssibly a bad battery,as this happens sometimes in Jeeps.

I had the guys at Schucks check the battery and charging system. I did find out that the battery is about 200 amps down from the 750 amps for starting, but all else tested fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer to not have to replace the CTM.

Thanks,
    JW
    live77 - It is more than likely that this is a variable resistor, which controls the blower speeds. Not very expensive and easy to replace ($20-$30). Not sure of the location on your vehicle but it might be on the firewall under the hood.

Ron35
  • sportstud4891sportstud4891 Member Posts: 3
    Just stumbled on this site and like the idea of a dakota owners forum. I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota club cab 4x4 that I bought almost 2 years ago used. Since then I have had 2 calipers lock up on me and have had them replaced. It has 72,000 miles on it which is not normal to go through that many calipers. I have taken it to shops and the dealer. They have checked the master cylinder as well as the brake lines and cannot find anything. Any ideas? I recently had my ball joints replaced with the recall and was told that this might fix the problem but I don't see how. Any info would be great.

Thanks
    Clint
  • live77live77 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Ron35 I appreciate the reply. It is going to be tomorrow before I can get it looked at so if there are any other ideas/suggestions please go ahead and let me know.
    Well, your post mentioned the immediate things that come to my mind. The battery could do this. For some reason on Dakotas a punky battery can cause the strangest things. Having the chimes go off occasionally is one I've actually seen. If original, your Daks battery is about the right age to have things happen.

The Central Timer Module will also be a likely culprit, especially in your vintage Dakota.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    I don't see how a ball joint replacement is going to fix a frozen caliper, either.

You could have moisture in the brake fluid which will cause the pistons in the calipers to rust internally leading to piston seizure. A complete flush of the brake system will be required to resolve this. If both calipers have frozen, this could be the cause.

Another problem...one more likely...is a deterioration of the rubber brake lines going to from the caliper to the steel line. What happens is the rubber absorbs brake fluid and swells, closing off the passage on the inside of the line. When brake pressure is applied, brake fluid will be forced into the caliper. But when the brake pedal is returned the rubber line closes up and pressure is not released from the caliper. If the caliper on the same wheel has frozen twice, I would recommend changing both rubber lines.

Of course, you could just have leaky piston seals on the caliper and this will cause seizing of the caliper piston.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • choppeddroppedchoppeddropped Member Posts: 4
    I have no spark going to my distribuator of my 87 dakota. I have checked aand changed everything from my spark contol comp. to my carb, except my distribuator some one please help
    I have a 2K Dak CC 4.7 5 speed. I have heard some talk on this forum in the past about getting the power steering fluid changed. I don't have any problems right now but I am thinking of getting this done before I do have problems. How much does this cost to have the dealership do this.

Ron35
This discussion has been closed.